Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Give Holt his 3 years

We know a very one-sided version of events, nothing more. IMO this agent has screwed up and has been trying to get his version in first, but rather came across as a bit of a twonk. In particular, their timing has stunk: this first came out just before Drury''s testimonial, and then Holt''s tweet and this a-hole going on the radio was deliberately timed to hit the club ( and more specifically, and unforgivably, the supporters) when they were down.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]The fact is, if we lose Holt (a guy who cost £400k and who''s scored 70 goals in 3 seasons) over a contract extension, we''re going to look very stupid indeed. [/quote]Look, the whole contract extension story is a smoke screen. What it''s really about is money. Holt isn''t that bothered if he''s stil playing effectively in 3 years time. All he''s thinking about is getting another guranteed million quid for still being on the books.[/quote]

Of course it''s about money. That''s how contract extensions work. You extend your contract and get paid for longer.

I think its a case of whos going to lose face now and i just cant see it being Mcnally after everything whats gone on this last few days. Holt signed a contract and he should be made to honour it like anyone else would have to in their line of work, it only seems to be football where contracts mean naff all. At the end of the day if Holts still playing great when his runs out he would probably be offered a new one anyway. Also how can a contract be sorted at the minute when we dont know what the new manager to bes plans are. Holts agent needs shooting for the way hes gone about all this. No doubt he will of thought ooooh the clubs in termoil surely they will want to cheer the fans up by announcing that Grants got a bigger contract. To be fair hes probably also right in that thought

It''s gone too far now... Let him go and good riddance. I''ve said before he has become too big for his own good! This is a team game and Holty seems to want all the limelight. He even tried to steal the limelight from his mates testemonial and then when all the talk was about lambert he dropped those tweets in. Think he was neglected as a child. Me me me........ Bye bye bye. No one is bigger than our club and McNally has handled this in our clubs interest. We cannot do a Pompey. Heros come and go but we will always be here. Otbc

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="nutty nigel"]It''s up to McNally to sort this out. [/quote]

And thankfully he has
[/quote]

I hope not. I can''t get my head around these new age football fans making heroes out of "the suits"!

Where will it end. Come August will we be chanting...

[8]He wore a suit against the scum Dave Mac, Dave Mac,

He wore a suit against the scum Dave Mac, Dave Mac,

He wore a suit against the scum and Bowkett wore another one,

Super Dave McNally Norwich Chief Exec.

Yeah , but what a strike force they would make ! Got to be good for at least 20 goals a season eh nutty ! So now the manager and probably the top scorer has f*cked off who do you think the player''s left will believe ? People always form opinions and they will either be thinking ''you''re a tw*t Holty'' or what a b*stard mcnally is - lets hope its the former.

["Dean Coney''s boots"]

I am quite cross about the Holt situation if it really is contractual. As regards the lambert situation McNasty has played it perfectly and deserves praise. Well done. But why on earth refuse Holt his three year contract?

The fact is the man just had a magic season and likes it here. If he has just one more in a similar vein then he will keep us up again and the extra money raised will more than cover his extra years even if he is past it by then - which he may not be anyway. Look at Sheringham. To my mind he is a late developer and has plenty left in the tank.

Secondly we are not going to replace him as regards goals and all else he does for less than £15million - so again why not give him the contract?

If feels to me that egos are clashing and if the club could just eat a little humble pie then we retain our main striker and it will make this week feel just a little better. To lose Lambert was bad enough but at least out of our control- to offer Holt a massively good thank you contract is within our power. Just do it!

Spot on!

The chances of signing a replacement who''d be as good as Holt would be minimal I''d suggest and will cost money anyway!

Holts got at least one more good season in him at least and if it turns out to be next season with us then we''d likely secure a 3rd Premiership season!

It depends if this new 3 years contract remains on the same terms as he is on at the minute which reported at £16k a week (£832k a season) then I think it is a small gamble to pay for an extra season and to keep him happy but I would think that if Holt and his agent initially agreed a contract extention the next thing would be a wage rise, probably to around £30k a week meaning the whole contract would cost City £4.6m, thats £3m just for an extra year.I puts the club in a difficult position not knowing whether to stick or twist -

[quote user="Fraz"]
It depends if this new 3 years contract remains on the same terms as he is on at the minute which reported at £16k a week (£832k a season) then I think it is a small gamble to pay for an extra season and to keep him happy but I would think that if Holt and his agent initially agreed a contract extention the next thing would be a wage rise, probably to around £30k a week meaning the whole contract would cost City £4.6m, thats £3m just for an extra year.

I puts the club in a difficult position not knowing whether to stick or twist -
[/quote]

its not very often you get a contract with the same terms (money) with it.

i actually think mcnally wasn''t clear enough with holt as it is thought that he said he would deal with his contract within a week (in march) with the real intention of being like a normal club and getting the out of contract players out of the way first and then deal with holt. although he did try to sort it out after whitbread and wheeliebin went, Payne states that this situation as well as the name calling Mcnally apparently did was too much.

although i believe that telling grant was ''too old'' was true, it probably wasn''t the best idea (if true....coming from lee payne) and instead tell him that we would deal with it the season after and to be honest and say it would cost the club alot for a new deal to be put in place now.

Payne said something along the lines of "we hadn''t even spoken about money at that stage" when talking about the extra year, which implies to me that they would ask for a rise once the extra week had been agreed in principle. Very much doubt that he''d have asked for £30k though, more likely £20k I''d have thought.

Can''t help but feel there could have been a compromise here though. Fair enough, the club don''t want to tie itself to a long term high wage contract for a player who might not be playing well enough by the end of it to even get in the squad, but surely an improved 2 year deal with better goal and appearance bonuses with the option of a 3rd year could have been an option?

its not the type of deal that is the issue, its how the events leading up to it have created this friction between holt and mcnally (NCFC)

And given that his goals secured us the massive windfall of the Premiership then why the hell not let him take £1mExactly....A years grace payment to Grant Holt would be the equivalent of just a couple of months wages for a 15 goal striker at any other Premier League club. This is going to reverberate round the whole of the football world and no player worth his salt will want to come here and be treated like dirt.I say good luck Grant wherever you go as it''s certain the fan''s there will have a new hero to cheer on.... and hopefully appreciate rather more than our small minded Delia City FC.

Who actually chooses the players at Norwich ? Is it David McNally or whoever the manager is ?. Is it possible that whoever becomes manager might want to keep Grant Holt , then what happens.....

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]Who actually chooses the players at Norwich ? Is it David McNally or whoever the manager is ?. Is it possible that whoever becomes manager might want to keep Grant Holt , then what happens.....[/quote]The manager identifies the player he wants and McNally sees if he can add up the figures and makes it happen.But Grant''s issue is no longer about whether he''s wanted or not, its about £