Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . .

Why is this all lambert's fault?

He is an amibitious manager and obviously wanted to improve on this season''s 12th position. The board refuse to back him financially and match his ambition so he leaves for a club that will. If i was lambert i''d have been p****d off aswell after everything he''s done for the club. Do you blame him? Sound familiar?

The board lacked ambition? No. The board stuck to a sensible financial framework that revolves around doing what is best for this club. Villa, one can only assume, were able to offer more money. That''s not the board''s fault, that''s how football works. Some teams have more money than others, some teams can attract better players than others for whatever reason.

The fault is not on Lambert, and it''s not on the board. It''s just how football works.

The board have lacked ambition?!?, he had £15m to spend last season (which made us the 6th highest spenders in the league) and they had promised another £10m on top of this!. £25m is by a country mile the most any Norwich City manager has had to spend in its history, what the hell is he expecting???? .......and furthermore this is more than what Villa have given him according to some newspapers.

the real reason why he''s jumped ship is that he didnt have faith in his own ability to do it all again next season and took the cowards way out.

If you come out and say " I love it here , i feel appreciated , i have never asked to leave " and then a couple of days later walk out then in my opinion you deserve every bit of shit thrown at you . As for his achievements a league title at the lowest level this club has played at for 50 years , 2nd place in the Championship (even Worthington managed the title) and a 12th place finish in the top flight ( not as if that has never been done before ). Get over him , hes not the best manager we have ever had but as a person he is right up there with Roeder.

"Lack of ambition." That is utter BS and you know it. For a start I think Lambert made his made up at an early stage he wanted the Villa job. I am not convinced anything the board did would have changed his mind. But if you we run with your theory anyway. Every penny that the board could conceivably give to Lambert to spend on transfers and wages was made available to him. What else were the board meant to do? Spend money they didn''t have and put the club''s future in jeopardy just 3 years after adminstration was a virtual certainty? There is a difference between ambition and rank stupidity.

when he came on the pitch after the Villa game and did his speech I said to my father there and then he was off to Villa as the speech was that of a man saying goodbye, he has justifiably had crap thrown at him because of the way his leaving has been carried out!!

He wanted to improve on 12th place having spent £15million (more than any manager I can think of at Norwich) in one season. He has then been offered the same amount of money and some to improve the team.

The only thing that is different is the board''s expectations - and that was through his words. He said that would be happy with premier league survival again next year. He wanted more than that looking up the table.

But to me surely that''s what you want to hear? That the club will be happy if you manage minimal output but are financially backing you to do as well as you possibly can?

At the end of the summer we could have a squad worth between £25-40million. That certainly isn''t a lack of ambition by the board. I think it''s a touch of reality in that they understand this league is one of the most difficult in the world. Staying in it is tough. And that they wanted Lambert to feel comfortable enough to push as hard as he wants but not have the ''will I be sacked next week'' in the back of his mind.

However the one thing that jumps out at me more than anything else is his Villa contract.

This suggests that the one year rolling contract with us was upon his insistance - which in all honesty is what I believed it to be anyway. It means we shouldn''t be that surprised by it all. And in many ways I am not.

Perhaps now we can find a manager that will be content and good for Norwich City. Sadly as thing stand I wonder how many managers are truly content and how many would see Norwich as a stepping stone to greater things? As fans perhaps we should just be happy to see Norwich remain in the prem season after season - getting mid table placings and perhaps trying to sniff around 6th spot?

I''m just starting to feel that the prem is a dead end, a place football comes to die. What''s the most we could hope for? 6th place? How hard is that when you look at the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea?

He is an amibitious manager and obviously wanted to improve on this season''s 12th position. The board refuse to back him financially and match his ambition so he leaves for a club that will. If i was lambert i''d have been p****d off aswell after everything he''s done for the club. Do you blame him? Sound familiar?

Very similar indeed.....But the Deliarite short memories and delusional memories have lost the ability to lay the blame where it belongs.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]He is an amibitious manager and obviously wanted to improve on this season''s 12th position. The board refuse to back him financially and match his ambition so he leaves for a club that will. If i was lambert i''d have been p****d off aswell after everything he''s done for the club. Do you blame him? Sound familiar?

Very similar indeed.....

But the Deliarite short memories and delusional memories have lost the ability to lay the blame where it belongs.
[/quote]

He could have improved on this season''s position THIS SEASON purely by picking his strongest 11, rather than experimenting as soon as we were relatively safe. I find a slight irony in him saying that about next season when he would probably have relaxed yet again once safety was achieved.

[quote user="Ncfc"]As for his achievements a league title at the lowest level this club has played at for 50 years , 2nd place in the Championship (even Worthington managed the title) and a 12th place finish in the top flight ( not as if that has never been done before ). Get over him , hes not the best manager we have ever had but as a person he is right up there with Roeder.[/quote]

Come on he did an incredible job for us, you''re trying to make it sound like nothing, I know you obviously feel bitterly towards him but you cannot deny the job he has done for us, just think of the mess our club was in before he joined and the position we''re in now

Oops, forget that the board were egging Lambert on to leave, whilst Mcnally released a statement saying how the club are helping pack Lamberts bags off to Brummy.

There a certain irony that Lambert goes to a bigger club (Villa) to further his ambition, yet this season he was guilty as anyone when it came to the ''little old Norwich'' routine.

Time and time again when interviewed he kept saying it is ''unbelievable'' what we''ve done etc etc, but I never really bought all this and I''d go so far to say that we underachieved a tad this season as we should of finished top ten if we had of been entirely focused for the whole season.

We all privately know that survival is the main thing, but during the season PL gave the impression that we were almost just pleased to be in league, rather than talking ourselves up.

I''m with the board and if the right appointment is made, it may of been a blessing in disguise if we get a good man who wants to stick around, rather than total self interest.

[quote user="chicken"]

He wanted to improve on 12th place having spent £15million (more than any manager I can think of at Norwich) in one season. He has then been offered the same amount of money and some to improve the team.

The only thing that is different is the board''s expectations - and that was through his words. He said that would be happy with premier league survival again next year. He wanted more than that looking up the table.

But to me surely that''s what you want to hear? That the club will be happy if you manage minimal output but are financially backing you to do as well as you possibly can?

At the end of the summer we could have a squad worth between £25-40million. That certainly isn''t a lack of ambition by the board. I think it''s a touch of reality in that they understand this league is one of the most difficult in the world. Staying in it is tough. And that they wanted Lambert to feel comfortable enough to push as hard as he wants but not have the ''will I be sacked next week'' in the back of his mind.

However the one thing that jumps out at me more than anything else is his Villa contract.

This suggests that the one year rolling contract with us was upon his insistance - which in all honesty is what I believed it to be anyway. It means we shouldn''t be that surprised by it all. And in many ways I am not.

Perhaps now we can find a manager that will be content and good for Norwich City. Sadly as thing stand I wonder how many managers are truly content and how many would see Norwich as a stepping stone to greater things? As fans perhaps we should just be happy to see Norwich remain in the prem season after season - getting mid table placings and perhaps trying to sniff around 6th spot?

I''m just starting to feel that the prem is a dead end, a place football comes to die. What''s the most we could hope for? 6th place? How hard is that when you look at the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea?

[/quote]

What a perceptive, thoughtful post. One of the most intelligent and objective posts I have read on here. A shame that the conclusion is so depressing but sadly one that is compellingly realistic.

The way the teams are funded now in the Prem we are only ever likely to see the title going to one of maybe six teams at best. In reality it could even pass amongst one of three, Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd. With Arsenal and Tottenham leading the chasing pack. The relegation battle often seems to be more interesting with the result often being decided on the last day.

If Norwich are lucky enough to survive, maybe more attention could be given to the FA Cup, where with a little luck in the draw it is possible to progress past the third round. Had our ex-manager, who''s name escapes me, tried to compete against Leicester, it is possible that we could even have got there this year.