Sign in to follow this  
Militant Canary

Strikers.

Another really long post. Sorry.

List of strikers who might be good possible replacements for Holt (should he leave) or Wilbraham. Others are just strikers who I think might be good buys. Some we have been linked to, some are just the results of my thinking.

Emile Sinclair- Peterborough striker. 24 years old with some potential, I''d say. His physical attributes should be obvious as he''s a big guy who can shift. His goal scoring record could be better, but since joining Peterborough he has scored 1 goal every 3 games- considering that that is for a club like Peterborough, it isn''t unimpressive. However, he still has 2 years left on his contract, having only moved there last summer. Not sure. (I would also include his team mate Tyrone Barnett in this list, but his contract situation seems a little complicated)

David Nugent- Someone is bound to mention him. Someone is bound to say, “Hey guys! What about Nugent? He was meant to a potentially good player about 6 years ago. Why don''t we give him a shot? I love his smile.” My answer is... NO!!!!! Waste of time, waste of space, waste of money. Bad footballer who inexplicably finds the net semi-regularly- he''s like Jermaine Beckford, only less entertaining! Get someone who''s career is on an upward curve, with genuine potential and quality and without an annoying grin/face/personality. He had a good season only once in his career. He is the past- forget him. That is all.

Craig Davies- Solid, if unspectacular striker for Barnsley. He could actually be a like-for-like replacement of Wilbraham more than anything else, which may be why some think we are after him. His goalscoring record is sound. He is big, strong, experienced and works hard for the team. Whether or not he has the necessary quality to perform in the Premiership for a couple of years is a big question.

Ashley Barnes- Another for the maybe pile. He has the physical attributes required in that he is quite robust etc and his style of play is good. His goalscoring record is okay, but when you consider that he is so young (22 years old) it becomes quite impressive. Something tells me that with the right tutoring he could be very good. I think he has potential.

Sloan Privat- Young (22) French striker for Sochaux. All I can really say is that I like the look of him. Definitely not the finished article- far from it. Nonetheless, his movement and vision is very good and he is a goalscorer... or he will be. If we were to nab him off Sochaux it would be a coup, though- even if we were looking- I doubt Sochaux would give him up easily.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang- This one increasingly looks the biz and would go down well in the Premiership. Currently with Saint-Etienne, he is pacey, skilful and wiry. He is also acquiring his goalscoring boots as he gets older (still only 22). Probably too high profile for us and he has a bit of a swagger about him, so maybe the wrong attitude. A talent though, and different to what we have.

Kévin Bérigaud- All I can say is that this guy is good. Really good! He can hold up play well, he is fast, strong with good technique. Most importantly, he is a scorer, with something like 110 senior appearances and about 35-40 goals. An impressive record for a 23 year old. He was one of the reasons Evian achieved a mid-table finish in Ligue 1 this year. We might be able to tempt him to Norwich- personally, if I was him, I''d do anything not to have to wear the Evian strip (if you look it up, you''ll see why).

Charlie Austin- Most of us know about him, so I won''t go on. What I will admit is that I originally thought he wasn''t that great. He is certainly beginning to prove me wrong. Big, strong, with an eye for goal, wouldn''t be disappointed if we were to get him now. Nonetheless, I would still prefer:

Jay Rodriguez- In my mind, he is one of the most obvious successors to Grant Holt out there. Yes, he lacks Holt''s bulk. Yet he is tall and strong enough to do the same job as Holt. More importantly, I would draw your attention to his movement. The guy doesn''t stop running and its his movement off the ball that reminds me of Holt- BUT, he is faster than Holt and younger. He always works hard for the team and gives 100% effort for the cause. He is strong in the air and (I think) has two good feet. Basically... get him in. I think he has the potential to be better than Holt ever was. And, because of his work-rate, he''ll be a fan favourite in no time.

Marcus Berg- Swedish international currently contracted to Hamburg, but seriously out of favour. He has had a torrid time at Hamburg and we might be able to prize him away to re-discover the form he had in the Eredivisie. Beyond a doubt he is talented. He is also very different to Grant Holt, whilst being quite similar. Whilst he is robust and physical- able to throw his weight around, hold-up play and work hard for the team- he is a thinker. He has an excellent first touch and heading ability. He also has excellent attacking vision and is completely two footed. Possibly a little too over-elaborate.

Artem Dzyuba- This guy is my choice if we were going to sign anybody... ever. Be warned, it is not often that venture into the realm of fantasy football, but he is a major talent and, in my opinion, a future superstar. He''s one of those rare footballers who is both massive in size and stature yet can shift like you wouldn''t believe- picture a large fridge running at great speed across a football pitch... that''s him. Besides these obvious physical attributes and all that comes from it, he is a major talent and good at pretty much everything you would want from a world class striker. Its amazing to see him shrug off meaty challenges to get a seemingly impossible shot away, or out play or outpace an entire defence. I see him as becoming like a combination of Drogba and Van Persie if he is properly nurtured. I think that he would be well served coming to a place like Norwich, not because the quality of the Russian league is poor- quite the opposite- but because I think that our management is better than Spartak Moscow. Lambert and co. would bring the best out of him and we could have a major talent on our hands in a few years. If Holt were to be sold (a big if) we would demand top-dollar for him and possibly get it. If that is the case, if we spend every penny of what we got for Holt (and possibly a bit more) there is a chance we could get him. We have to get in first and give him a good offer. Remarkably unlikely that this will ever happen for a number of different reasons. But the idea of a front two of Dzyuba and Morrison/Jackson/Vaughan or even Pacheco tearing apart a Premier league defence... wow! A man can dream, I guess.

For alternative striker options (ie not similar to Holt or Wilbs), we now go to Scotland:

Johnny Russell: This guy is basically lightning and had an excellent season at Dundee. He''s also versatile enough to play as an attacking midfielder or winger. Honestly don''t know enough about him to comment further. There is also an issue with strikers from the SPL concerning the quality of the league. We need only look at David Goodwillie (giggle) and his singularly unimpressive turn at Blackburn. Nevertheless, in Russell''s, or indeed everyone else from the SPL''s favour is one important thing... we are not Blackburn! When under good management strikers, such as Jelavic, can make the adjustment, provided they have the quality.

Gary Hooper: The Celtic strike-force has been prolific this season. Hooper has been linked to moves to England- most notably to Southampton, which I don''t really see happening (could be wrong), as well as to Norwich. Hooper strikes me as an all-rounder- okay at most things without being great. I''m not sure about him or his attitude. Need more info.

i wouldnt mind stephen fletcher from wolves as a direct replacement. but would rather us finding players to add to what we have.

The best post on here in absolutely ages and much food for thought.Ashley Barnes is a very good shout and most certainly worth a look, but how much do you think that Brighton would want for him?I also like the look of Berigaud and agree that both of the boys from Burnley (Austin and Rodriguez) have much to offer.Apart from Barnes, Austin, Rodriguez and everyones favourite target Rhodes, I would not touch any other striker currently playing in England/Scotland.As you suggest Marcus Berg could be worth a gamble too.I am going to check out some of the other French strikers you suggest and most certainly this Artem Dzyuba guy, who I have never heard of. Thanks again for a fantastic post!

Are you on the Ncfc scouting team, if not why ??

I''ve heard a few rumour''s of Jay Rodriguez and Rhodes coming to us very soon, both quality players who could well make the step up and take the Prem by storm.

Let''s hope Lambert pull''s a few more rabbit''s out of hats this summer :)

[quote user="YellowFellow"]i wouldnt mind stephen fletcher from wolves as a direct replacement. but would rather us finding players to add to what we have.[/quote]

Personally, not a fan of Fletcher. He''s one of those footballers who never seems to deliver anything other than promises.

I could be wrong, of course.

[quote user="Militant Canary"][quote user="YellowFellow"]i wouldnt mind stephen fletcher from wolves as a direct replacement. but would rather us finding players to add to what we have.[/quote]

Personally, not a fan of Fletcher. He''s one of those footballers who never seems to deliver anything other than promises.

I could be wrong, of course.[/quote]

Reportedly, Fletcher has already turned down Sunderland, so unlikely to be interested in us.

[quote user="Lammy"]The best post on here in absolutely ages and much food for thought.Ashley Barnes is a very good shout and most certainly worth a look, but how much do you think that Brighton would want for him?I also like the look of Berigaud and agree that both of the boys from Burnley (Austin and Rodriguez) have much to offer.Apart from Barnes, Austin, Rodriguez and everyones favourite target Rhodes, I would not touch any other striker currently playing in England/Scotland.As you suggest Marcus Berg could be worth a gamble too.I am going to check out some of the other French strikers you suggest and most certainly this Artem Dzyuba guy, who I have never heard of. Thanks again for a fantastic post!

[/quote]

Thank you.

I''d imagine Barnes would cost the slightly cliched figure of around £2-3 million.

Please check out Dzyuba- well worth a look.

[quote user="sjs7"]Are you on the Ncfc scouting team, if not why ??

I''ve heard a few rumour''s of Jay Rodriguez and Rhodes coming to us very soon, both quality players who could well make the step up and take the Prem by storm.

Let''s hope Lambert pull''s a few more rabbit''s out of hats this summer :)[/quote]

I''ll be honest, I have my doubts with Rhodes.

He has a tremendous strike rate. That can''t be ignored because its remarkable and he has been congratulated for it- and quite rightly too. However, his all round game I find disappointing. Despite the fact that he has the physicality and skill to hold-up play and bring other players into the game, he doesn''t. He also rarely effects the game, except by scoring goals. I don''t know if this is just him, or his manager''s orders, but I''d expect more from someone with his potential. He also quite often has a poor first touch and his distribution can leave something to be desired.

Morison has been criticised- even demonised- by some because he allegedly doesn''t work hard enough. Rhodes does significantly less than Morison.

Naturally, I''m sure Lambert and co. can get the best out of him should we get him and he is still very young. He will get better. Nonetheless, the faults in his game are rarely even acknowledged and should be discussed more.

Most of my mates are Burnley fans and they would never speak to me again if we took Rodriguez......but I don''t think they''d give 2 hoots if we paid money for Austin.  He''s no hard worker and there are many who feel that he''ll score if the team are playing well and on top of the opposition but will be no toiler if they''re struggling against an opposition.  There seems to be a lot of funny looks and hands on hips if the ball isn''t given to him in a goalscoring situation.

I do think we should use Lamberts connections to try Europe out, although I know Lambert said it''s too expensive. The lad at Crewe seems to be one for the future but worth a punt definitely.  Forgive me I forget his name now and can''t be arsed looking it up.

Overall though, I would take Rodriguez over Rhodes any day of the week.

What an awesome post.

Great read - thank you.

P.s. I see what you mean about the fast moving fridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1WvYZR2fNw

The problem with the Russian league is that there is a lot of money around. He will already be on a decent wage, and a wage we probably wouldn''t be able to match.

A dead ringer for Grant Holt except he''s bigger, quicker, more skilful and can use both feet.

[quote user="Webbo118"]A dead ringer for Grant Holt except he''s bigger, quicker, more skilful and can use both feet.[/quote]

Grant Holt is hardly one footed.  Man U ?  Everton away ?  

[quote user="Muddy funster"]

Most of my mates are Burnley fans and they would never speak to me again if we took Rodriguez......but I don''t think they''d give 2 hoots if we paid money for Austin.  He''s no hard worker and there are many who feel that he''ll score if the team are playing well and on top of the opposition but will be no toiler if they''re struggling against an opposition.  There seems to be a lot of funny looks and hands on hips if the ball isn''t given to him in a goalscoring situation.

I do think we should use Lamberts connections to try Europe out, although I know Lambert said it''s too expensive. The lad at Crewe seems to be one for the future but worth a punt definitely.  Forgive me I forget his name now and can''t be arsed looking it up.

Overall though, I would take Rodriguez over Rhodes any day of the week.

[/quote]

As they have watched him a lot more than me, we should take their word on it. Now that I think about it, the matches I watched of Burnley were victories where everything went right.

The young striker you''re thinking of is Nick Powell. However, he is squarely in Man United''s sights now.

I agree with you about Europe, and sure we will despite what was said.

[quote user="Stretcharm"]The problem with the Russian league is that there is a lot of money around. He will already be on a decent wage, and a wage we probably wouldn''t be able to match.[/quote]

You''re probably right. That''s why he''s my dream signing- it will probably remain so. But then, you never know.

[quote user="stratton canary"]

Artem Dzyuba - The Future on you tube

[/quote]

I know what you mean. Anyone- even Mark Fotheringham- can look good on YouTube.

I''d urge you to see some Spartak Moscow games, if you can.

[quote user="Webbo118"]Twice in one season. Not bad![/quote]

Two of the classiest wrong footed goals you will ever see.  The element of surprise in going the oppposite way to what a defender thinks will happen shouldn''t be underestimated.   There are not many strikers anywhere that have the confidence to do that - and with such skill.   

Two other younger names to throw into the hat.

First of Chris Wood of West Brom. 6''3" and only 20 but with quite a bit of experienc already. He has played 18 games for the senior Kiwi team already. Ok so he doesn''t have the greatest scoring record but from what I have seen he has the potential to do so. He has the work rate and strength and technical ability. At his age he also offers a bit more pace than Holt. The only problem is that he needs time. Right now can we afford that.

Much in the same way I would say the same thing about Sam Vokes. Thought he looked good whilst on loan to us although we didn''t get to see a lot of him. Certainly no slouch and again likes to work hard for the team. At 22 he is older than Wood but offers many of the same prospects. At 6''2" he has height but as I''m sure most of you will have seen him.

They would be my two suggestions if you wanted to go young and hungry. Rodriguez is a far better option mind you but you asked for ideas and other than those mentioned these are mine.

Some lovely names on that list, but the best two players are totally out of Norwich''s league.

Firstly Dzyuba would never get a work permit in England - I have been told there are several English clubs interested in him, but have all given up because of his work permit and also because of the frankly ridiculous wages players in Russia get. Average players at clubs in Russia are on around £40,000k a week (although much of it is done slightly less than legally) - Arsharvin famously had to take a pay cut to move to Arsenal.

I really like Aubameyang - but he only sealed a permanant move to St Etienne last December and after an excellent performance at the African Cup of Nations he''s become fairly hot property. Milan ditched him because of his attitude problems, and for a club that has Ibra and Cassano that''s a big deal.

I feel after Newcastle''s success this year a lot of Premier League clubs will be looking at Ligue 1 for potential transfer targets and prices will start to spiral up - PSG already set this trend with some crazy spending. Interesting to see who gets the next Cabaye and who gets the next Stephane Guivarc''h.