Sign in to follow this  
Hugh J Wurzell

Kevin Beattie, benefits cheat

Sounds like he only got paid expenses relating to the Radio job.. So it''s not like he was earning. Typical nonsense. They''ve fined him £50 but the whole affair probably cost 20 times that amount to put through court.

It says the fraud was worth £9k, not the biggest amount but fraud is fraud at the end of the day. It is fair enough that he was caught and punished, even if the punishment is rather feeble. The attitude of some is rather odd, as if it is ok to defraud the taxpayer if it isn''t by much.

And he''s a binner.

Poor old Kevin Beattie. Let''s have a whip round to pay his fine shall we? could also help pay for him to learn to light a bbq...

There are a couple of posters who will not be on this thread that is for sure and you know who you are. [;)]

Now then Tilly!

This thread is an insult to all the benefit fraudsters in Suffolk who pretend they are Norwich fans.....

Joking apart, and while it''s not fair to comment on individual cases, my first reaction  when I heard this was how things for top footballers have changed, financially.

The concept of any of today''s highly paid Premier League, International players ever needing to be on benefits, of any sort, is hard to imagine.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now then Tilly!

This thread is an insult to all the benefit fraudsters in Suffolk who pretend they are Norwich fans.....

[/quote]

Not intended for the binners Nutty.This is far closer to home.

I can kinda see it from his view - It must be hard to care for your wife and battle for all the benefits you can to live humbly... Not a great life, but made much better with that support i would imagine.

Then, have an offer come up like the radio job and risk losing that financial support must''ve been a really hard decision... Sadly he''s made the wrong move.

Depends what he was paid for the radio job i suppose - if it was a few hundred quid for example, i really do feel sorry for the guy, i don''t know at what kind of earning would stop 9k of benefits. I''m presuming ''any'' money thats earnt and not declared?

Still, bloody funny with him being ex-ipswich all the same, i''m just not old enough to remember much about him as an england player sadly - if i were this would be a bigger upset i think.

And definitely shows why players (Holt at the moment) need to think about protecting their financial futures.

Yeah, hilarious, seeing as I just read in another thread that he''s a full time carer for his wife, who has multiple sclerosis.[Y]

[quote user="morty"]Yeah, hilarious, seeing as I just read in another thread that he''s a full time carer for his wife, who has multiple sclerosis.[Y][/quote]Rivalry aside...When I read that I felt sorry for the bloke, I''ve nothing but respect for people who give up a huge part of their life to care for someone else.I have first hand experience of how hard it can be, my wife gave up a career as a broker in the City to care full-time for her mum after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer''s. It is very tough to do, particularly for someone like Beattie who has experienced the high-life which most of us never will. Instead of prosecuting him they should have given the bloke a f***ing medal in my view.Full-time carers desrve much better financial support from the government to make things easier - in the long run it would improve our society and save huge amounts of money being pumped into "care" homes.

Frankly I couldn''t give two hoots about this guy.Just because he''s ex-scum, doesn''t mean he deserves any more press than any other benefit cheat...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Frankly I couldn''t give two hoots about this guy.Just because he''s ex-scum, doesn''t mean he deserves any more press than any other benefit cheat...[/quote]I hope you''re never in that position...:(

Rivalry aside the report i read this morning in the national media suggested he was being paid £75 a match by radio suffolk for about 4-5 years and didn;t realise he needed to declare it. He may be a sc*mmer and appears a bit of a sp*v at times bjut its hardly crime of the century and one does wonder if a prosecution here was really worth it.

Given he is also a full time carer for his sick wife it also does show the difference between the lifestyles of players now and those of yesteryear. In ability terms there is probably not a player at Portman Road now who is fit to lace Beattie''s boots and yet they will all be earning thousands of pounds a week whilst one of their club legends is caring full time for his sick wife and earning £75 a week for match summarising on local radio.

[quote user="Loopzilla"]I hope you''re never in that position...:([/quote]Sorry but the guy was in a similar position to probably thousands of others in the UK at this present time, the difference being that he chose to take the radio job and not declare the income knowing full well it was fraud.Thousands claim disability, carer or similar benefits, Millions claims Jobseekers and struggle to find work, so it''s not like he''s alone in having problems or financial difficulties, and although his story is somewhat sad, I struggle to feel massive smypathy for someone who''s robbed close to 10k from the public coffers.On a personal note, I do hope I''m never put in that position, but I would hope that if I ever was - I wouldn''t resort to crime to deal with the issue.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]In ability terms there is probably not a player at Portman Road now who is fit to lace Beattie''s boots and yet they will all be earning thousands of pounds a week whilst one of their club legends is caring full time for his sick wife and earning £75 a week for match summarising on local radio.[/quote]You can''t compare the two though Jim.We all know that footballers are paid crackers wages these days, and the guy was unlucky to be part of the earlier generations that never saw the mega bucks like they do today, but regardless of this, and the disparity in income - it still doesn''t excuse his actions.I know that it doesn''t sound like much on paper, but £75 a week extra would make a substantial difference for many people and families, and that''s the truly sad thing here, that such a relatively small amount could make such a big difference, yet we see players calling 100k a week wages "derisory"...

Do you know what? This sort of thing can happen to nearly anyone. Most of us at some point in our lives or for most of our working lives have only been one paycheck away from losing everything.

I went through a period in my life where although I had money, personal circumstances led to me being totally disorganised. As a bloke I was uniquely qualified to ignore what needed to be done and managed somehow to get into an inholy mess ending up with County Court Judgements and these had all been totally avoidable if I''d been on my game.

I have some compassion with Keith Beattie and if you haven''t well I can only imagine that you are either superhuman and will never get into such scrapes or are super-inhuman and that I hope you will never get into such a position.

Good luck Keith and to your wife. It doesn''t matter who supports who at such times, perhaps we all need to learn a bit of humanity.

Sorry to have bored the superhumans on here.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Rivalry aside the report i read this morning in the national media suggested he was being paid £75 a match by radio suffolk for about 4-5 years and didn;t realise he needed to declare it. He may be a sc*mmer and appears a bit of a sp*v at times bjut its hardly crime of the century and one does wonder if a prosecution here was really worth it.

Given he is also a full time carer for his sick wife it also does show the difference between the lifestyles of players now and those of yesteryear. In ability terms there is probably not a player at Portman Road now who is fit to lace Beattie''s boots and yet they will all be earning thousands of pounds a week whilst one of their club legends is caring full time for his sick wife and earning £75 a week for match summarising on local radio.

[/quote]

All valid points Jim. But his plight shows up the shortcomings of that grubby little suffolk club. Where as Â£250,000 can find it''s way into the Newcastle underworld for fat boy Chopra nothing can be found to help out a club legend.

[quote user="Ruddygore"]Do you know what? This sort of thing can happen to nearly anyone. Most of us at some point in our lives or for most of our working lives have only been one paycheck away from losing everything.

I went through a period in my life where although I had money, personal circumstances led to me being totally disorganised. As a bloke I was uniquely qualified to ignore what needed to be done and managed somehow to get into an inholy mess ending up with County Court Judgements and these had all been totally avoidable if I''d been on my game.

I have some compassion with Keith Beattie and if you haven''t well I can only imagine that you are either superhuman and will never get into such scrapes or are super-inhuman and that I hope you will never get into such a position.

Good luck Keith and to your wife. It doesn''t matter who supports who at such times, perhaps we all need to learn a bit of humanity.

Sorry to have bored the superhumans on here.[/quote][Y]

You know what, you guys are probably right.I''m not sure myself why I''m taking such a hard line with this one, and perhaps a bit of self-inspection and compassion is needed here instead of just quoting laws etc.Please disregard my previous comment, and apologies to anyone who may have taken a poor view of my response, and that includes Mr Beattie and family.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]You know what, you guys are probably right.I''m not sure myself why I''m taking such a hard line with this one, and perhaps a bit of self-inspection and compassion is needed here instead of just quoting laws etc.Please disregard my previous comment, and apologies to anyone who may have taken a poor view of my response, and that includes Mr Beattie and family.[/quote]Fair play Indy [Y]

A rather stark reflection on how things are either end of the A140.On the same evening that City fans came together at Carrow Road in an almost carnival atmosphere to express their thanks to a long serving defender, a former long serving defender slunk out of the local magistrates court having been prosecuted over failing to declare £45 payments whilst surviving on benefits.A fellow Cumbrian Holt  is lauded at Carrow Road as a folk hero amongst all the success - whilst this poor chap has been vilified by many of the self righteous rustics from poorman road.The ''holier than thou'' attitude'' might sit a bit easier if it didn''t come from fans of a club that defrauded the Inland Revenue of nearly £5m. A club that also continued to take supplies and services from local businesses knowing they had not the means (or the intent, I suspect) of paying for them. ''Failing to declare'' on a massive scale - pinching above their weight, is the term I believe.

Don''t disagree Nutty. I would like to think that if one of our old legends found themsleves in a similar situation then the club might do what they can to help them out (not suggesting we would just pay it for them but maybe loan in retrun for match day hosting work or host some fund raising event) although with the new regime i''m not sure there is much room for sentiment at that Carra.

For the record i''m not excusing what Beattie did and ultimately he was guilty but the whole episode just seems a bit sad and you would think could have been sorted without ending up in court.