Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Lets talk about Ward

Having read that he will be back in training next week, i was just wondering what everyone''s opinion is of him. From what i can tell on this board, seems to be a few people who really rate him and his influence last year and a few who don''t rate him at all.

I must say i fall into the latter category. For me Ward is a bit of a liability at the back, he has just always seemed a bit ''dodgy'' to me. In my opinion, Ward was our 3rd best CB last year, after Whitbred and Barnett. I know he was ever present in our squad, but the others faced some major injury problems last year.

On the other side of the argument, it seems Lambert does rate him, from Lamberts comments over the past, it seems that Ward would be a starter for Lambert if all his players were fit.

If we hadn''t had made so many mistakes at the back this year i would not be so keen on throwing Ward back in, but i guess he deserves a chance. I do beleive Whitbred and Martin could form a formidable partnership at the back.

I met Elliott Ward after we beat Bristol City 3-0 last season. We were at Temple Meads Station in the bar there waiting for the London train. He is huge. I played cricket with his younger brother Lee who was also huge, and a very quick bowler.

I don’t share your opinion of him as a player but we all see things differently.

If there was an "unsung hero" of our promotion last season it''s Elliott Ward.

As Tim mentions, the guy is a unit. He won so many big headers and blocks for us last season, a lot of stuff he didn''t get enough credit for.

He''s also the best footballing centreback we''ve got. His use of the ball is very good and he he''s comfortable playing on either side of the defence and using either foot.

Not really sure where this reputation of being a "liability" comes from. Considering the amount of games he played for us last season he made very few costly errors. You could probably argue a case that Whitbread and maybe Barnett have made just as many costly errors but across a smaller amount of appearances.

It''s also obvious that Lambert thinks very highly of him and that tells its own story.

I would say Ward is a slightly more polished Michael Nelson. Nelson''s level was League One, Ward''s is Championship. Ward + Premiership Forward = much much comedy defending and a worrying leap in the "goals against" column.

Mungo

Really not sure about Ward in the Prem, for two reasons. Notwithstanding his quality on the ball he has a tendency to switch off in games (alhtough that''s something that applies to most of our cntre backs!). However, my overriding concern is his tackling technique. Watch what he does when he''s run at one to one and you''ll see that rather than block tackle he always goes side on. He lost crucial 50/50s leading to goals in a number of games by trying to nick the ball rather than saying "I''m going to take everything here".

For me its pace, we can afford to have one slower centre back but i think we benifit from having Martin bringing abit of pace to the pair. I would not feel confident of ward and Whitbread against a fast forward as both i feel lack in that respect. That said I think Ward could partner a speedy centre back, but I must confess its Ayala that I hold more interest and hope in!

[quote user="Beauseant"]Really not sure about Ward in the Prem, for two reasons. Notwithstanding his quality on the ball he has a tendency to switch off in games (alhtough that''s something that applies to most of our cntre backs!). However, my overriding concern is his tackling technique. Watch what he does when he''s run at one to one and you''ll see that rather than block tackle he always goes side on. He lost crucial 50/50s leading to goals in a number of games by trying to nick the ball rather than saying "I''m going to take everything here".[/quote]

I was about to post the exact same thing! I''m glad he will start training next week as he will give us another option, but I do rate Whitbread, Barnett and even R.Martin more at CB. If he comes into the side however, I''d love for him to prove me wrong.

[quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]

I would like to see Whitbread and the Norfolk Cafu at Cb again, or Whitbread and Ayala at CB.

Would have Whitbread there because for the Newcastle game we looked a lot more assured at the back.

[/quote]

I''d surprised if Lambert changed it tomorrow. Zak gives us another dimension by being able to carry the ball forward and use it constructively (when he doesn''t get caught in possession!) and Martin has been our most consistent defender.

I''ve always thought of Ward as nothing other than a good reader of the game and with good positional sense. I think these attributes would lend themselves well to the premiership, and his prescence a big help to the defence. Always thought we were stronger defensively when he was in the team. Correct me if I''m wrong, but wasn''t he originally first choice centre back before Whitbread last season?

[quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve always thought of Ward as nothing other than a good reader of the game and with good positional sense. I think these attributes would lend themselves well to the premiership, and his prescence a big help to the defence. Always thought we were stronger defensively when he was in the team. Correct me if I''m wrong, but wasn''t he originally first choice centre back before Whitbread last season?[/quote]

In the sense that he was in the side before Whitbread, but the latter was out injured until we played QPR at home on New Year''s Day.

Russell Martin may initially have been a temporary CB, but

surely he has already proved he can be a permanent starter in that position?

As Beauseant & Aylsha have already said; it’s his

side-on tackling that causes me concern – a bit dingly-dangly at times! A bobbly

ball or little ricochet and we’ll have a Theo Walcott or similar bearing down

on Ruddy’s goal with several yards to spare.

Youngsters are taught NOT to tackle in a loose way like that

in order to prevent injuring themselves. As a Pro, I’m surprised Elliott Ward

gets away with it. He’s an excellent footballing CB though – confident with the

ball at his feet and style-wise (retaining possession across the back 4) would

fit the current system really well.

Not sure how Mungo Bumpkin sees Ward as ‘a slightly more

polished Michael Nelson’ though? One was a direct, no-nonsense ‘clear-the-ball-at-all-costs’

player and the other is more ‘I’ll buy myself another split-second in

possession here’ type player. The two are totally different in my mind.

Different opinions I suppose?

With all CB’s fit, I’d choose Ward with R Martin personally.

Although De Laet might be a speedier partner to get across the ground and clear

up Ward’s mistakes!

[quote user="Beauseant"]Really not sure about Ward in the Prem, for two reasons. Notwithstanding his quality on the ball he has a tendency to switch off in games (alhtough that''s something that applies to most of our cntre backs!). However, my overriding concern is his tackling technique. Watch what he does when he''s run at one to one and you''ll see that rather than block tackle he always goes side on. He lost crucial 50/50s leading to goals in a number of games by trying to nick the ball rather than saying "I''m going to take everything here".[/quote]

I don''t know about "switching off" I think sometimes an opponenents quality can make it look that way. But I think your tackling observation is spot on. Ward is an excellent footballer for such a big unit. His positional awareness would probably be one of his strongest suits. But interestingly when he was suspended last season it was his first ever. Apparently he''d never got to 5 yellows before. When asked about it he said that before he came to Norwich he rarely tackled!

One day all our centre backs wont make a mistake, maybe that day we will get a clean sheet. End of the day, Mistakes aside, they are all fantastic.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

I met Elliott Ward after we beat Bristol City 3-0 last season. We were at Temple Meads Station in the bar there waiting for the London train. He is huge. I played cricket with his younger brother Lee who was also huge, and a very quick bowler.

I don’t share your opinion of him as a player but we all see things differently.

[/quote]

Huge doesnt equal good Tim, but I do share your opinion. Ward and Whitbred for me, with Barnett in reserve.

Wards been a good centre back for us and is at least as good as Barnett and Whitbread. Crucially for him he is very popular with Lambert and for those of you who dont like the fact he doesnt tackle full on, hopefully you''ve watched the games this season closely enough and have noticed that basically any robust ''man and ball'' challenge in this division (wrongly in my opinion) unfortunately pretty much always ends in a foul being given.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Wards been a good centre back for us and is at least as good as Barnett and Whitbread. Crucially for him he is very popular with Lambert and for those of you who dont like the fact he doesnt tackle full on, hopefully you''ve watched the games this season closely enough and have noticed that basically any robust ''man and ball'' challenge in this division (wrongly in my opinion) unfortunately pretty much always ends in a foul being given.[/quote]

I expect that''s where I''ve been going wrong Yellowbugle. But sometimes it''s difficult. The guy in front of me is up and down like a jack-in-the-box. And when the ball''s up the Riverend it''s hard enough to see who tackles who let alone what the ref gave a free kick for. (I usually question the refs parentage regardless.) I''m off to Goodison tomorrow but the view can be notoriously bad but I will try and pay attention. Honest Guv[Y]

Of course it could be you that sees Marilyn[8-|][;)]

Ward''s ability to anticipate a pass, to see one step ahead is better than both Barnett''s and Whitbread''s in my opinion, and this is an important aspect of a premier league player. I also think Ward is better than Barnett on the ball, although Whitbread seems so composed while in possession (despite the mistake on Saturday).

Ward is also big and strong, I''m sure we''ll be seeing him start by mid-ish January depending on his fitness and Russell Martin''s performances. Don''t get me wrong he''s done a great job there, but it''s only when you take into account the fact that he''s primarily a right-back, he is a bit weak in the air and not as strong as Ward. I do hope he''ll play again at right-back though although Naughton has been doing a quality job.

I think ideally the best back 4 would be;

Naughton Ward Whitbread Tierney

It''s interesting to see everyone''s views, like i expected, he''s a player Norwich fans can''t all agree about. The last CB i remember who divided fans so much was Doherty- god i thought he was dreadful.

I see the plus points with Ward, his size, passing ability and comfort on the ball. But i would say he isn''t a great treader of the game, when he played alongside whitbred last year i seem to rememeber Zak having to cover for him a fair bit.

He deserves a go in the prem, he helped get us here, but in all honesty we need another CB.

I would take a look at buying Nedhem Onuohu (not sure that''s the right spelling) and Savic at man City (on loan).

I don''t think the problem with our defence is how we set up, but just individual mistakes, i think this just shows we need better quality CB- the better the quality, the fewer mistakes - generally! Lambert can drill them as much as he wants in practice, but you will not cut out mistakes without more quality, and I really don''t think Ward will bring that when he''s back.

I saw someone mention Ayala, i hope he lives up to some people''s expectations. he was dradful in his debut- lost us the game against Stoke i felt. Didn''t see him against MK but was shocking. But he does have pace and suppose to be a quality tackler so i am excited to see him back.

A much better player some people give him credit for

And banana, I find it incrediably sad you are ''anti'' not just one of our players, one of our most consistent players from last season.

I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt because I heard you were quite an articulate young man, but I think you need to take a look at yourself here and question either your vocabulary or general opinion of our players

I rate him. Reads the game well, very comfortable on the ball (him and Fox were integral to us building our play from the back last year) and good in the air.

Not overly concerned by his ''side-on'' tackling style. Especially in the Premier League where a tackle that takes man and ball can often be judged a foul.

Wouldn''t be at all surprised to see him back in the team once fully fit.