Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Position most needy of strengthening in January?

Defence, quite easily. People are suggesting strikers and attacking midfielders left right and centre. Whilst I wouldn''t mind us signing someone like Maynard, a top CB would be money well spent imo. Well I''m just saying we''ve scored in everyone of our 17 games this season other than two [wba (h), Man utd (a)]. So the problem clearly isn''t scoring goals, and seeing as we have Vaughan injured, when he comes back we will be even better! Anyway, does anyone have any CBs they could think of, realistically?I can''t think of anyone other than Martin Taylor who won''t cost mega money, but knowing Lambert he will find a lower league gem. Just think, I for one barely knew who David Fox and Marc Tierney were before they came to us.

That''s a simplistic way of looking at it. You could make it simpler by saying we only need a goalkeeper as he is the one who lets in goals.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

That''s a simplistic way of looking at it. You could make it simpler by saying we only need a goalkeeper as he is the one who lets in goals.

[/quote]And a new manager whilst you''re there!

A CB with good experience, who will be able to organise it better with better communication. A Malkay type player would be nice, but who is available I''m not sure. People saying a holding midfielder, we already have Fox, Crofts and Johnson who can all do that role. Possibly another winger to cover for Bennet/Pilkington and a backup/competition for Wes would be handy (Snodgrass)

We have a right back in De Laet when he comes back from injury, Ward and Ayala coming back will be like having some new signings in January anyhow. I would like to see us sign a commanding box-to-box midfielder to give us another option to Hoolahan so we could operate with 4-4-2 better. It doesn''t seem a viable formation as we can''t seem to hold the midfield unless we pack 5 players across the middle!!

I don''t think we should worry too much about strengthening in January, the team are playing relatively well and defending better as the games go by. The best bit is we are free scoring all over the pitch which is something we really lacked last time we were up here. I''m sure Lambert has some cracking deals up his sleeve though.

For me the spine to our team is.. ruddy, Martin,.........., Holt and morison. All our midfielders that have played are good at one thing ie bj is great at tackling but can''t do long range passes. but not one of them is the complete package. To improve it we need a Gary mcallister type midfielder. Who that person is I don''t know, if we can afford him I don''t know.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]For me the spine to our team is.. ruddy, Martin,.........., Holt and morison. All our midfielders that have played are good at one thing ie bj is great at tackling but can''t do long range passes. but not one of them is the complete package. To improve it we need a Gary mcallister type midfielder. Who that person is I don''t know, if we can afford him I don''t know.[/quote]

Nail on head, the complete mid-fielder at this level is probably out of our price range.

Anyone think we need to replace Mungo?

He''s just not up to the job, no passion, little commitment. Never manages to back up his opinions with facts, jumps at the first opportunity to get on the players backs.

I know I have said it but there is the need to improve the spine of this team. Centre half, central midfielder and a striker. Priority I believe is the central midfield position, although very closely followed by that no-nonsence centre half.

The midfield is where we need that rock to sit in front of the back four, commanding and a level head. We need that voice, organization on the field who can lead by example, get up and down, but mainly communicate through the team.

Centre half, we need that no-nonsence, solid centre half, with pace but always osund on defensive duties holding the defensive line and again leading that defensive group.

I also feel a striker is needed, Holt and Morison may be scoring goals but one injury can really hinder our success or suspension. Jacko can do a job, but I don''t know if he can lead us for a long time. It could also mean that we don''t have a striker on the bench of any clout. I know Vaughan is coming back about January, but again he may not be fully fit till February. Our strikers of Holt, Morison, Jacko and Vaughan could need that one other striker to be able to play. Afraid Wilby and now possibly Martin are not really the options we now need on the bench if another injury hit these four striking options.

I feel if we got these three positions then we would have cover in every position for suspension or possibly long term injuries. We will have brought in leadership which is the one characteristic we are missing in the middle of the park and at centre half. Also to stay in this league, you need to score goals and I do worry that there may be a lean spell or injury to our two strikers who are in good form.

So all three for me would give us the best chance to stay up with no area then weak of competition and leadership. Priority (1) Midfield, followed very closely by (2) centre half and then (3) striker.

Altho I still would be happy if the snodgrass is signing and if so then I would have that as our other attacking option instead of a striker. Know it is going against what I said with a striker but we still need to score goals throughout the hwole year with suspensions, injuries and loss of form. I feel we are relying a little now on our strikers and even though we have had goals from all over the team we need to keep that gonig . You can never rest on your laurels.

For me the weekest part of our team is defensive midfield - I like Fox for his passing and control, I like Crofts for his industry and closing down. We need a player who can do both. 

A player who can do both will cost alot of money and also probably be on alot of money! I think we can stregthen in all areas, jus because we''re scoring goals doesnt meant we cant buy a striker. I''d personally like to see a striker who will come short and have the ball to feet and link up play with wes, surman and fox. I think even though the 2 big men upfront have scored goals and caused problems the way they play stops us from keeping the ball!

Morison always wants to run in behind which can cause problems but isnt very good when the midfield just need a simple pass into feet!

People are saying we need defenders cus we cant keep a clean sheet but the way we play we will always concede goals. Its jus something we''ve got to live with!

what about Micheal turner at sunderland?

he is experienced and quite big and commanding, and im not sure how much he would cost or if he would want to come though.

This is the first transfer window I can remember when I really don''t mind who we sign (if anyone). Yes I know we need to continuously restrengthen but I am more than happy with the squad we have and any new faces will be a bonus.

I can''t see a defender coming in as we have 8 excluding Drury and I''m sure Lambert said recently that he wouldn''t be buying in that area. Do any of those 8 deserve to be third choice in their position? I think not.

I can see a midfielder arriving as we don''t have two sets of 4 available (Fox, Surman, Crofts & Hoolahan / Johnson, Pilkington & Bennet) unless you think Korey and Lappin could do a job.

I think a striker is likely as Holt and Morison have been fantastic but beyond them were are light whatever you think of Jackson & Wilbo.

Most definitely I predict an experienced keeper to back Ruddy up and help Rudd''s development at Colney.

So, in short, I think a keeper, striker (or two) and possibly a midfielder will be on the radar. 

A strong midfielder that breaks up the opposition play and retain possession (Frimpong on-loan).A central defender that is good at heading the ball away (I can''t think of one).A new goalkeeper as competition for Ruddy (Fraser Forster).A striker as competition for Jackson & Vaughan (Maynard).

Some great an interesting views, I do think new faces do brighten the place up a little and help just lift the squad etc. As I have sai the spine of the team is where I think we could do with some help.

But altho no names particularly spring to mind, I am very a believer in Europe for attracting the midfielder and/ or defender. Why because the reasons stated above, they will not cost as much, their wages will not be as high as some of the English centre halves etc would demand. We won''t be hold to ransom on any player and hence why Europe is a viable option. Michael Mancienne is aplayer I would like to go for if he hadn''t of just moved there, but reading his reports on training methods etc. if we were to pick up a central defender/ midfielder from the German league (with Lamberts  connections) then I think we would be getting a very good combatative and competitive footballer.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/10/23/michael-mancienne-says-german-football-is-like-being-in-the-army-102039-23507256/

So I don''t think players will cost the earth if you can look around at options that are available.

I think that for real safety this season and progress thereafter we probably need to fill two or three positions. Clearly, howver, we have a rather light weight midfield with little width, if we play two strikers and Wes up front.

We need a dominant midfielder, someone like a younger version of Viera. The problem is that we need someone who can not only cover ground, tackle and score powerful goals, we need some to direct affairs. In short, we need someone with the experience, stamina and power. There are not so many of these around,. and we would be outbid by clubs with more money.

We have to settle for what we can afford.We need someone skilled and strong, but not a callow youth, for our present situtation.

Additionally, we need a right back for cover and perhaps even to overtake Naughton. In time Naughton may develop into a very good full back, and he certainly has pace, but he has struggled a little defensively, especially against Ward, Hunt and Jarvis on Tuesday evening. (He was not helped by a team selection with only Crofts in front of him - not the quickest of players. It could also be that our narrow 3 man midifeld and no wingers is asking Naughton to get forward very often, which he does do.) We also need a good CB. Whitbread seems to be capable, but his injury record is worrying. Barnett may learn to maintain concentration with experience, but he seems a little lacking at the moment. Ayala is an unknown, and Ward a trifle slow. Martin is gallantly filling the breech at the moment, but is prone to get out of position and can be out-jumped in heading.

I agree with BGHL,  Martin looks a terrific centre back.    I think we have the quality and the numbers of defenders already at the club - players who are learning and adapting. They are not doing that badly - you only have to look at the match last night between Tottenham and Spurs to see mistakes by defenders - and not just defenders either - mistakes all over the pitch. Such is life in the premiership - great skills, pressure and mistakes aplenty. 

Give our group of defenders time and they will improve.  I still think that it is very difficult to bring in a new defender at this stage of the season - they would have to fit in straight away - new club, new players, new ethos, moving and personal stuff etc etc.    Its too important a role to throw someone - however experienced - straight in to the team - especially when the team are not doing that badly!

An attacking  midfielder would however add to the mix and could be eased in more readily.

LDC I agree with your comments about defenders making mistakes, it shows that it is a game of concentration and that to stay at the top you have to master this. I do think we have a good number of defenders, but I do believe that none have shown the leadership, command or nouse to allow us to be stingier to our opposition. Yes it can come and agree, it is wonderful that it can come but, I think we all thought Ayala came out of nowhere in the summer and most of us were still saying we need that force on the field. Ayala I am certain will be our starting centre back in the very near future, but we could do with that voice on the field.

I totally agree with R. Martin getting the plaudits, I certainly can see some premiership teams looking at a raw young centre half, who has moved from right back and can play that ball with confidence. Alot of attributes similar to P. Jones at Man U, so I  am delighted he has played so well.

I do think that a level head can come in, they would know what their job would be. Organization etc. I do however agree an attacking midfielder will have less pressure placed upon him and could settle quickly. But at this time, which you rightly say is important, I think that organization is greatly needed if we are to continue to play this system with Wes.

I just can''t wait for January.