Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Abusing the ref

Firstly I''d like to say we played well yesterday, delighted with the result! [:)]So here goes (sorry, a little moan). Yes, we all know for alot of the game starting early he didn''t have a great game, even the red card probably shouldn''t have been a straight red. Anyway, I''m all for a bit of friendly banter in the stands with the away fans and what not, however chants like "Ref, you''re a C**T", "You don''t know what you''re doing", "You''re not fit to referee" are not only incredibly disrespectful, but they do no good in my opinion. Booing isn''t too bad, just showing our dissatisfaction or whatever. My main reason for not liking these chants is I always thing that if the ref hears our fans shouting all this at him, he might get annoyed at us and give decisions against us. Obviously he has to stay professional, and there is also the argument that he might try and even it up later on in the game. What''s all your views on the matter? (please don''t lay into me, sensible debate please) [:)]

He had it coming yesterday, and rightly so.I like to think it has the opposite effect to your thoughts on it, as in I hope he hears the abuse and realises that he may have got something wrong, then gives a 50/50 decision our way to even it up.I''m sure most ref''s accept that their going to get abuse from the stands if they have a bad game, and those who can''t accept it probably don''t become refs.Sensible enough reply I hope! [:)]

Yeah I guess. Personally I don''t join in with those chants but it will always happen. Either way it''s a difficult job and I do try to sympathise with refs, despite being very hard often.

Nowadays unfortunately the sign of a good refereeing display is when he doesn''t get these sorts of chants aimed at him during the game!

I do think of refs came out after games and had a chance to explain their decisions, if they wished to, then it would help us fans relate to them and realise how tough refereeing can be.

refs get paid their money because of the fans. Just like footballers, us fans have a right to chant what we want at them. The refs have chossen to be put on that position, they know what is coming from their job, if they perform badly they will get a lot of stick. It may add pressure to them, but lets be honest, it is fun getting stuck into the ref. Just like i think it''s fine to give players stick. They are getting paid 50,000 a week to do very little, that money comes from us. I actually think player abuse is good, most of them have over inflated self loving egos and they could do with being bought down a peg or two.Sorry to go a bit off topic, but i think abuse of refs and abuse of players are both linked, if you can do one you can do the other.Now the mental affect on refs, completly disagree with your view that it will make them go against us with their decision, i actually think it makes them more likely ro give us a decision. No one likes that much pressure on themselves, so by giving a city decision, some of that pressure and abuse will be taken off the ref.Refs have cost us so many points in games since i have been attending Carrow rd, they deserve the stick in all honesty

[quote user="Barnett is King"]Firstly I''d like to say we played well yesterday, delighted with the result! [:)]

So here goes (sorry, a little moan). Yes, we all know for alot of the game starting early he didn''t have a great game, even the red card probably shouldn''t have been a straight red.

Anyway, I''m all for a bit of friendly banter in the stands with the away fans and what not, however chants like "Ref, you''re a C**T", "You don''t know what you''re doing", "You''re not fit to referee" are not only incredibly disrespectful, but they do no good in my opinion.

Booing isn''t too bad, just showing our dissatisfaction or whatever. My main reason for not liking these chants is I always thing that if the ref hears our fans shouting all this at him, he might get annoyed at us and give decisions against us. Obviously he has to stay professional, and there is also the argument that he might try and even it up later on in the game.

What''s all your views on the matter?

(please don''t lay into me, sensible debate please) [:)]
[/quote]

It''s easy to say this from the standpoint of having just won a match 4-2 but on another day who knows what effect not awarding probably the most blantant handball you''ll see all season against Santon? in the first half might have had.

It is because we went on the get the first goal of the match soon afterwards that this disgraceful decision hasn''t had more attention.

As far as I''m concerned, when a referee doesnt do his job proporly in awarding penalties such as this ,then it''s open game and he deserves everything he gets.

One poor refereeing decision can cost a club tens/hundreds of million pounds. He was an absolute disgrace Yesterday, even my mate who was there as a NUFC fan said he was very poor and how we didn''t get a penalty for THAT handball was a disgrace. Plus I remember another handball from Santon infront of me in the Geoffrey Watling stand. Why can we moan at players for making a mistake, but not a referee, OP? The linesman who was also at fault in the handball incident was apparantly at the World Cup last year, and yet he can''t spot a blatant handball infront of him? Not good...

[quote user="Barnett is King"]Firstly I''d like to say we played well yesterday, delighted with the result! [:)]So here goes (sorry, a little moan). Yes, we all know for alot of the game starting early he didn''t have a great game, even the red card probably shouldn''t have been a straight red. Anyway, I''m all for a bit of friendly banter in the stands with the away fans and what not, however chants like "Ref, you''re a C**T", "You don''t know what you''re doing", "You''re not fit to referee" are not only incredibly disrespectful, but they do no good in my opinion. Booing isn''t too bad, just showing our dissatisfaction or whatever. My main reason for not liking these chants is I always thing that if the ref hears our fans shouting all this at him, he might get annoyed at us and give decisions against us. Obviously he has to stay professional, and there is also the argument that he might try and even it up later on in the game. What''s all your views on the matter? (please don''t lay into me, sensible debate please) [:)][/quote]

Grow a pair, this isn''t ballet.

I''ve always thought that it takes a brave linesman to give a decision in front of vocal away fans at Carrow Road, unfortunately the one yesterday didn''t have the balls to give handball yesterday standing in front of the Newcastle fans.

I always enjoy giving abuse to officials that are getting it wrong.

The more the crowd pressurises the ref the better imo. Yesterday i noticed after we got on his back he started to make calls in our favour.

[quote user="ryan1992"]One poor refereeing decision can cost a club tens/hundreds of million pounds. He was an absolute disgrace Yesterday, even my mate who was there as a NUFC fan said he was very poor and how we didn''t get a penalty for THAT handball was a disgrace. Plus I remember another handball from Santon infront of me in the Geoffrey Watling stand. Why can we moan at players for making a mistake, but not a referee, OP? The linesman who was also at fault in the handball incident was apparantly at the World Cup last year, and yet he can''t spot a blatant handball infront of him? Not good...[/quote]

It was a pity that he cancelled his appointment at Specsavers.

OP, do you not think that the abuse the ref/linesman received after not giving the handball played a part in being awarded the corner that Wes scored the first from?

Brendo you wet wipe comon lad this is part of football and always has been but then again you''re part of this new generation of soft kids who had your bottoms wiped and breast fed till the age of 12.

Refs do get it wrong, and rarely accept that after games let alone say sorry, the handball in the first half was rediculously obvious and could have potentially cost us 3 points on another day. We all bleed yellow and green, pay our money to go and if a Ref disrupts or runins a game its us that suffer, its almost like having someone tell you the ending in the Cinema after you have just bought a ticket! Every right to complain when they dont get it right, especially at this level.

Mowgli i am of this new generation you mention, and i for one enjoy giving the ref abuse and the lino abuse.

Hell the lino was usual as fuck, same with the ref if he gives a bad call ill sing along that hes a w****r, and that hes not fit to referee.

That blantant handball, plus the other one i saw at the other end of the barclay were so blantantly obvious, and no i dont agree with you OP i feel if we get on his back he will know he has done wrong.

In the old days we would have been singing:Where''s your FatherWhere''s your FatherWhere''s your Father RefereeHaven''t got oneHaven''t got oneYou''re a bar steward Referee

Having read all these responses, I do agree mostly. In fairness I shout at and have a go at the referee too! I guess the chant of "you''re not fit to referee" came across as a bit OTT (I wouldn''t like to be told I can''t do my job). Having said that, I saw him have a little smile to himself, so I guess he doesn''t take it too seriously.

[quote user="Harry"]In the old days we would have been singing:Where''s your FatherWhere''s your FatherWhere''s your Father RefereeHaven''t got oneHaven''t got oneYou''re a bar steward Referee[/quote]Haha, i used to love this song, is it not sang much nowdays?

just remember this no referees no football you so called experts should take the coarse and see how dfficult it is .these blokes get just a split second to see the incident unlike Hanseen and co who can analysis it from every angle .do they get it right first impression?If you want a realialty check go run the line in a local game and see how much sh1t you get Thank less task not a ref by the way .

I only got a split second to see the handball on Saturday but I did see it unlike the Ref and Linesman who were a lot nearer than I was.

[quote user="Harry"]I only got a split second to see the handball on Saturday but I did see it unlike the Ref and Linesman who were a lot nearer than I was.[/quote]True, but he has got a point! I think the main problem is linos are not up for giving their opinion/calling things enough. 3 referees giving opinions is a darn sight better than one. Obviously they do their job, but alot of the time all they give is offsides, and the occasional foul is it''s right near them!

The ref puts himself in that position, knowing he will get abuse from the stands pretty often.

He chooses to do that, he gets paid to do that, and he puts his performance in the national spotlight every week, knowing full well it will be examined and re-examined on MOTD.

Im sorry, but that handball was such a blatantly obvious decision to anyone who has got eyes, and you''re saying after somehow being the only person in the ground not to see it - that people shouldn''t chant "you''re not fit to referee" at him??? (the least offensive of the chants - weird one to get worked up over by the way OP)... Do you really think he was fit to referee on yesterday''s showing? It''s not like we''re maliciously telling him to go jump off a bridge or anything, he''s being called out on a poor performance...

He puts himself in the spotlight, and he knows that if he performs badly he will be told so. He did and he was, end of story.

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Harry"]In the old days we would have been singing:Where''s your FatherWhere''s your FatherWhere''s your Father RefereeHaven''t got oneHaven''t got oneYou''re a bar steward Referee[/quote]Haha, i used to love this song, is it not sang much nowdays?[/quote]Sadly no. Love that song, would be great if it caught on again.