Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahans Ped

When does the lambertometer run out?

Having seen the recent issues at Wolves, here are some facts:- Promoted in 2009- Wolves kept in the premier league to present (2011-12)We got promotion in 2011, should we stay in the prem for a few years and then begin to struggle i wonder how many fans would be slating Lambert? How many fans would be calling for his head? I for one will stick by this guy no matter what happens (even if we end up back in the championship) and i hope that we as norwich fans will also stick by this man. He is one of the best young managers in this country and I hope that we dont end up going down the same route as Wolves, with fans slating their manager despite what he''s done/what he could still do.

it''s never really stopped going up. a few stumbles (i.e. MK Dons at home, but i see that as irrelevant to our season as a whole) i will never ever ever slate him or want him sacked unless it came to an extreme scenario.

There''s only one Paul Lambert

[quote user="Mrs Tierney"]it''s never really stopped going up. a few stumbles (i.e. MK Dons at home, but i see that as irrelevant to our season as a whole) i will never ever ever slate him or want him sacked unless it came to an extreme scenario. There''s only one Paul Lambert[/quote]

....and there you have it. In the fickle world of football fans the interpretation of "extreme" runs from one end of the spectrum to the other. When things go "wrong" in football one doesn''t have to shop for critics, they actually appear out of the woodwork.

Expectation is the best friend of the critics hiding on the woodwork. The better a team performs the higher the fans expectations are. Unbelievably Blackpool are now seen to be under achieving and the critics are coming out of the woodwork. It seems Holloway is safe at the moment whilst the chairman is the target of those critics. To a mere outsider it would seem the chairman has delivered for their fans bigtime!

There will come a time when Lambert leaves, and realistically there are only two scenarios; he leaves for another club or he gets the sack

if its the latter then a portion of the fans will have turned. Its how football is and always has been. Most managers have a shelf life; the question is how many years of lambert do we have.

And thats why we have to enjoy him while we can.

I''m sure people were saying the same things about Worthy after getting us into the PL for the first time in 10 years or so.....

We are certainly riding the crest of a wave in terms of optimism at the moment, but it''s also a wave made up of a lot of luck.

We''ve had some very fortunate results, Liverpool being the most recent and most obvious. Once the luck runs out and the Premier League teams work out Lamberts fairly limited tactical ideas we will see an entirely different reaction from the fans.

We need to actually win a game against a team in the top half of the league if we are going to have any chance of staying up.

Frankly if we don''t win comfortably on Saturday then serious questions should be asked. Blackburn are by far the worst team in the league at the moment, they are truly hopeless.

We should beat them by 4 or 5, but we''ll probably have to be happy with a draw.

[quote user="GedSteroo"]We are certainly riding the crest of a wave in terms of optimism at the moment, but it''s also a wave made up of a lot of luck.

We''ve had some very fortunate results, Liverpool being the most recent and most obvious. Once the luck runs out and the Premier League teams work out Lamberts fairly limited tactical ideas we will see an entirely different reaction from the fans.

We need to actually win a game against a team in the top half of the league if we are going to have any chance of staying up.

Frankly if we don''t win comfortably on Saturday then serious questions should be asked. Blackburn are by far the worst team in the league at the moment, they are truly hopeless.

We should beat them by 4 or 5, but we''ll probably have to be happy with a draw.[/quote]

BINNER ALERT!

So how was beating Swansea 3-1 luck? The same with Sunderland and Bolton at 2-1?

You are deluded JS and you should be permanently banned from this forum.

Dirty scummy binner.

[quote user="GedSteroo"]We are certainly riding the crest of a wave in terms of optimism at the moment, but it''s also a wave made up of a lot of luck. We''ve had some very fortunate results, Liverpool being the most recent and most obvious. Once the luck runs out and the Premier League teams work out Lamberts fairly limited tactical ideas we will see an entirely different reaction from the fans. We need to actually win a game against a team in the top half of the league if we are going to have any chance of staying up. Frankly if we don''t win comfortably on Saturday then serious questions should be asked. Blackburn are by far the worst team in the league at the moment, they are truly hopeless. We should beat them by 4 or 5, but we''ll probably have to be happy with a draw.[/quote]

Ask serious questions?

How about showing the man some serious gratitude!

[quote user="GedSteroo"]We are certainly riding the crest of a wave in terms of optimism at the moment, but it''s also a wave made up of a lot of luck. We''ve had some very fortunate results, Liverpool being the most recent and most obvious. Once the luck runs out and the Premier League teams work out Lamberts fairly limited tactical ideas we will see an entirely different reaction from the fans. We need to actually win a game against a team in the top half of the league if we are going to have any chance of staying up. Frankly if we don''t win comfortably on Saturday then serious questions should be asked. Blackburn are by far the worst team in the league at the moment, they are truly hopeless. We should beat them by 4 or 5, but we''ll probably have to be happy with a draw.[/quote]

Blimey who p*ssed on your cornflakes?

* "Googling for GedSteroo"

Actually, googling for Ged Steroo (with a space) reveals all. He has an alter ego Rob Steroo on the Green Un, although that might be a third cousin by his aunt''s granny''s sister''s niece''s daughter''s brother.

Or just the pen-name of Ip5w1ch Crazy?

Whether Paul Lambert stays or leaves at some point ''under a cloud'' his legendary status at Norwich City is assured.As a fellow poster rightly says.... enjoy him while he is here.

[quote user="Hoolahans Ped"]He is one of the best young managers in this country [/quote]

He is THE best young manager in the country.

And I''ll include that massive whinger at Chelsea in that.

Lanbo has the 3 things all good managers need: ability to man-manage, tactical astuteness, and an ability to spot good players.

From the start, he was clearly brilliant at man management. Against the same opponents, he overturned a 7-1 home defeat into a 5-0 away win a few months later while using essentially the same personnel.

Tactically, he has worked different systems to great effect. Everyone appears to know their role. Substitutions have generally been good, often match-winning.

On his signings, very few have been poor. Most managers do well to manage more than about one good signing for every poor(ish) one. Lambert''s poor signings have been comparatively rare.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, so I would be happy to have him here forever.

[quote user="First Wizard"]I will NEVER turn on Lambert...never....ever...and you can ban me on here if I do.[/quote]thread bookmarked!

How long he stays is surely up to the club, the fans and the players.

If he has the board behind him - he''ll feel supported.

If he has the fans behind he will feel appreciated.

If he has the players behind him - and I can''t see that changing, why would he want to leave?

This is a progressive club that has learnt alot over the last few years. It is now on a positive footing in every way, in the top division of football.

Why would he want to leave under these circumstances? There are only a handful of clubs that could offer him a better football situation and as much as money is important, I don''t think the best managers make football decisions based just on finances.

Lets hope he stays for many years and builds a NCFC dynasty that can challenge every season for honours in league and cup.

I''m not one that holds a view that the richest clubs are the best. I feel that someone in the ilk of Brian Clough can come along and force their way to the top - and PL is from the Brian Clough school of managing via Martin O''Neill.

Lets not place any limits on what we might be able to achieve. Lets just get behind PL and enjoy the ride. As long as he is here things will be positive because it''s the only way he knows!!

Similar to others I would not want him out or call for him to be sacked. Which was the same when Worthy was pushed out the door by fickle fans whose expectations had grown.

This is really bad but I also didn''t want Roeder sacked. I knew he was bad news for the club, but my feeling is that had he stayed could he have got the team performing to save us from relegation? We shall never know, and from the beginning of the following season (excluding opening day) we have been close to un-stoppable.

I think it''s also worth mentioning the man who got us Lambert, and that of course is Bryan Gu... i joke! ;)

In all seriousness McNally, i feel has transformed this club, when it comes to Lambert finally moving on i just hope we still have McNally here to steer us in another excellent manager.

But lets be positive eh? Lambert could be here another 5 years if the board back him and he is happy with his own development.

Only when he feels he has achieved all that can be achieved and needs something more, will that be the end.

He won''t get sacked and i can''t see the supporters turning on him. Looking back at previous managers even when we were are on a high they were all talking twaddle... He''s different.

[quote user="First Wizard"]I will NEVER turn on Lambert...never....ever...and you can ban me on here if I do.[/quote]

So the unequivocal first half of your sentance is qualified by the ambivalent second half of the sentance.

In other words,Wiz, you''ve got the fine art of flip-floppery down to a single line of less than twenty words. I salute you, sir!

1985 we won the League Cup at Wembley.

1986 we won the Second Division in a canter.

1987 we finished 5th in the First Division.

1987 Ken Brown sacked.

The cynic in me is probably due to my age and experiences but the above goes to show why you should never say never.

[quote user="lake district canary"]How long he stays is surely up to the club, the fans and the players. If he has the board behind him - he''ll feel supported. If he has the fans behind he will feel appreciated. If he has the players behind him - and I can''t see that changing, why would he want to leave? This is a progressive club that has learnt alot over the last few years. It is now on a positive footing in every way, in the top division of football. Why would he want to leave under these circumstances? There are only a handful of clubs that could offer him a better football situation and as much as money is important, I don''t think the best managers make football decisions based just on finances. Lets hope he stays for many years and builds a NCFC dynasty that can challenge every season for honours in league and cup. I''m not one that holds a view that the richest clubs are the best. I feel that someone in the ilk of Brian Clough can come along and force their way to the top - and PL is from the Brian Clough school of managing via Martin O''Neill. Lets not place any limits on what we might be able to achieve. Lets just get behind PL and enjoy the ride. As long as he is here things will be positive because it''s the only way he knows!![/quote]

First Class post LDC. Spot on!

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]This is really bad but I also didn''t want Roeder sacked. I knew he was bad news for the club, but my feeling is that had he stayed could he have got the team performing to save us from relegation?  [/quote]

I agree with that.

Well, I wanted Roeder sacked but obviously I wanted a better manager to come in. I''ve always said I thought we''d have hung in there with Roeder incharge but knew Bryan Gunn would be a disaster.

But I suppose we''d have all taken where we are now, with the manager and players we''ve got, in exchange for a few months of Bryan Gunn and a season in League 1.