Sign in to follow this  
Felixfan

Potential for fan clashes on the 26th.

For some reason both Ipswich and Norwich are at home on the same day (a very rare event)

To make matters worse for Canary travellers on the train from London or joining at Ipswich or Colchester both teams are playing London clubs namely QPR and Reading who are likely to be on the trains, plus the added spice of a "welcoming committee" at Ipswich station.

Should be an interesting journey!

I know this is being pedantic but Reading are hardly a London club, it''s like saying Colchester is a London club.

You are a month out for when FF is posting about Captain Holt, Norwich are at home to QPR and 1p5wich are at home to Reading on Saturday 26th November, although you are correct in saying that our Boxing Day clash with Spurs has been moved to the 27th December.

If any game were to be moved, I would imagine it would be the one involving two Championship clubs rather than ours. We get enough messing about with fixtures because of Sky.

I''ve never really understood why there is so much worry about this. We''re 50 miles apart. I can understand when it''s a club in the same city, or even if it''s only 5 or 10 miles out, but when it''s in a different county 50 miles away, it seems a bit over the top.

The chance that a few city fans might end up meeting some Ipswich fans on trains is one that surely could happen at any point anyway - if both are playing away and end up getting trains a similar direction or whatever.

[quote user="Aggy"]I''ve never really understood why there is so much worry about this. We''re 50 miles apart. I can understand when it''s a club in the same city, or even if it''s only 5 or 10 miles out, but when it''s in a different county 50 miles away, it seems a bit over the top. The chance that a few city fans might end up meeting some Ipswich fans on trains is one that surely could happen at any point anyway - if both are playing away and end up getting trains a similar direction or whatever.[/quote]

Totally agree.

Talk up a potential problem and it happens.

Even the daftest of football fans are sensible enough to work out that these stations are riddled with CCTV cameras nowadays and there will also most certainly be an appropriate police presence (including transport police) as usual.

Anyhow, football fans are pussycats these days compared to that lot of criminals who rioted last summer.  

There’s a football special leaving Norwich 17:13, first stop Colchester which will help the London bound fans. Good to see the trains organised properly, but I’m sure this was more than likely due to the BTP than NXEA.

BroadstairsR wrote " Even the daftest of football fans are sensible enough to work out that these stations are riddled with CCTV cameras nowadays and there will also most certainly be an appropriate police presence (including transport police) as usual.

Anyhow, football fans are pussycats these days compared to that lot of criminals who rioted last summer."

Try telling that to the young Norwich Fan who was attacked by a scummer at Liverpool Street Station a few weeks back. 

True, but individual cases hardly make an argument.

And try telling that to the people whose houses and livlihoods were burnt to ashes at that time, to say nothing of those three boys that were killed (murdered?)

There is more chance it kicking off between norwich fans and qpr then norwich and ipswich.

[quote user="Newcastle Brown"]Loads of Norwich and Ipswich fans get on at Diss so that will be a hot spot[/quote]

It really won''t be mate, i''m from Diss & the town is split 50/50 down the middle so people simply have friendly banter. A good portion of my mates are all Ipswich fans.

It''s a very rare occurence indeed - great lengths are normally taken to ensure we''re not both at home on the same day.http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html

20 odd years ago this probably would have resulted in quite a bit of trouble given our clashes with QPR fans in the 80s plus they also have history with Ipswich but not talking things up but don''t think there will be any real problems on the day

Still been trouble in recent years with QPR both ''mobs'' consider this as one of their rivalries. Saw a small flash point last season at their place after the game and one biggish incident about 4 years ago down prince of wales road at pow pub about 100 on each side trying to get at each other with police in the way.

Always potential for this game to have trouble, and like i said it won''t be norwich and ipswich fans.

When I started this thread I never said I expected trouble,just that in the unusual circumstances there was a "potential" for clashes.

Obviously if you only walk or drive to the ground at 2-30 this might seem over the top.

Many of us travel via Ipswich and have often endured taunts - mostly of a non-intimidating manner.

The Capital Canaries often travel down with teams from Liverpool St.and there is usually lots of banter on the train.

I was just pointing out that on that Saturday there could be Norwich/Reading/QPR/Ipswich Essex fans on the same train at the same time.

It could be good fun - I hope so.