Sign in to follow this  
Sjb

Thank you Glenn Roeder

We were never in the relegation zone under Roeder. He was merely another straw on the camel''s back (waving goodbye to Malkay & Iwan in 2004, buying Ashton too late & replacing Worthy with the untried & hopeless Peter Grant).  

The appointment of Gunn was the suicide note. He hadn''t managed ever before and hasn''t ever since. Wrong man at the wrong time at the wrong place.  

Therefore, Delia''s board were to blame for the relegation but all credit to her for recognising their weaknesses and getting in David McNally. The rest is history. 

I blame it all on the Big Bang.Not sure whose fault that was though. Where was elf & safety, that''s what I wanna know.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

We were never in the relegation zone under Roeder. He was merely another straw on the camel''s back (waving goodbye to Malkay & Iwan in 2004, buying Ashton too late & replacing Worthy with the untried & hopeless Peter Grant).  

[/quote]Mate - you''ve got your worthington''s and roeders mixed up !!!!

There is a case of what goes around, comes around.At the end of the day, we are a very good football club, it is/was inevitable we will always get a margin of success.It is not necessary to thank roeder - he was/is/always will be an arse!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

The big thing for me is that if we''d of somehow avoided relegation during that awful 2008-09 season none of the board changes or policies would of occurred and I reckon the club would now be in a much lower position than it currently is!

[/quote]

---

Not sure about that. Relegation made the boardroom changes inevitable, but they might have happened even if we had just stayed up.

It needs to be remembered that Smith and Jones had tried to shake up the boardroom by bringing in the Turners, with a specific remit to examine the business from top to bottom. For whatever reason that didn''t work, and we were left with the old guard of directors.

Academic now, and impossible to be sure, but Smith and Jones might have regarded a second close shave as one too many, and so brought in fresh blood anyway.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

The big thing for me is that if we''d of somehow avoided relegation during that awful 2008-09 season none of the board changes or policies would of occurred and I reckon the club would now be in a much lower position than it currently is!

[/quote]

---

Not sure about that. Relegation made the boardroom changes inevitable, but they might have happened even if we had just stayed up.

It needs to be remembered that Smith and Jones had tried to shake up the boardroom by bringing in the Turners, with a specific remit to examine the business from top to bottom. For whatever reason that didn''t work, and we were left with the old guard of directors.

Academic now, and impossible to be sure, but Smith and Jones might have regarded a second close shave as one too many, and so brought in fresh blood anyway.

[/quote]

Doncaster MBA was eyeing better things away from NCFC anyway....Roger was certainly looking unwell, and in my opinion would have been seeking to stand down.....As for the Turner Two?....In the confidential corridors of Carra, it was rumoured that their relationship with the majority shareholders.....was somewhat a little strained.....all allegedly....of course.

We probably we did need to reach a point of despair to begin to come back from it. But I do not agree that DS & WJ merely had to come ''to their senses'' and appoint ''football'' people to get out of the mess. If only football was that simple. Even with solid appointments (e.g Mark Robins) we would likely still be in the 3rd Tier, or bottom section of the second (e.g a Coventry). There has not been demonstrations against DS & WJ as there was against Chase so it is absurd to make the comparison. RC was corrupt and an asset stripper, whereas DS & WJ are true supporters here for the long haul. Her rabid critics are lacking in consistency. If they felt it right to attack her for our fall to the 3rd Tier, then they have to give credit for our rise to the second Tier. But will they, of course not because they are steeped in their parochial prejudices, boring us about ''little Norwich'' and lack of ambition. Well folks we are relatively little (probably not as big as a Forest or Derby), so get real. Also I my view it would not be a tragegy if we steaded the ship financially and were back in the 2nd Tier, refusing to cowtow to the gambling mentality which leaves clubs in debt, chasing the ambitious dream, like a drug addict. All over the world we can see that getting into huge debt (think USA, Euro) is not a good idea, so lets be brave, ambitious, and think big, and put clearing the debt as our priority. Good luck Lambert, you are a real top manager.

Its a bit like the film going back to the future you really do not know what would have happened. As it is we have risen from the ashes of a dark period and enter a new season with more optimism than since the early 1990s

[quote user="corbs"] There has not been demonstrations against DS & WJ as there was against Chase so it is absurd to make the comparison. RC was corrupt and an asset stripper, whereas DS & WJ are true supporters here for the long haul. Her rabid critics are lacking in consistency. If they felt it right to attack her for our fall to the 3rd Tier, then they have to give credit for our rise to the second Tier. But will they, of course not because they are steeped in their parochial prejudices,[/quote]

Just in case the usual suspects missed this[;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="corbs"] There has not been demonstrations against DS & WJ as there was against Chase so it is absurd to make the comparison. RC was corrupt and an asset stripper, whereas DS & WJ are true supporters here for the long haul. Her rabid critics are lacking in consistency. If they felt it right to attack her for our fall to the 3rd Tier, then they have to give credit for our rise to the second Tier. But will they, of course not because they are steeped in their parochial prejudices,[/quote]

Just in case the usual suspects missed this[;)]

[/quote]As indeed I have for her decision to take a back seat and let people competant in running a football club do so. Of course the board''s self-appointed arbiter of what is right wouldn''t want to acknowledge that as it doesn''t fit his agenda.

[quote user="NWC"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

[/quote]

Mate - you''ve got your worthington''s and roeders mixed up !!!!

There is a case of what goes around, comes around.
At the end of the day, we are a very good football club, it is/was inevitable we will always get a margin of success.
It is not necessary to thank roeder - he was/is/always will be an arse!
[/quote]

No I haven''t!

1. We were never in the drop zone under Roeder.

2. I was trying to say that the demise of the club started before Roeder with Worthington''s poor preparations for the Premier League (by shipping out 2 of our biggest leaders and not investing early in a quality striker) and then the hiring of Peter Grant who replaced our decent players with gambles which didn''t work out. By the time Roeder stepped in we were already in a bad place.

3. Don''t get me wrong I wouldn''t ''thank'' Roeder for anything and he certainly made things worse ... I just don''t think he is quite the villain some make him out to be.

Is that clearer? 

[quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="crafty canary"]I don''t know, praise the woman and Istill get criticised. Damned if Ido and damned if I don''t.I see the old misogynist line being used again, you and the other members of the Fantasy Four (who will no doubt make an appearance at some point) ned to update your act - it becomes boring after several views.

[/quote]The only thing that becomes boring crafty is your continuous sniping at D and M, even though the club is in a better position now than at any time since they took over, and certainly MUCH healthier than when they actually took over. We all know of the mistakes they have made in the past but the past is what makes most of us appreciate what is happening now. Lance that boil crafty and let all that poison out that''s eating away at you, you''ll feel much better about yourself and our club. [;)]
[/quote]

Finally, an admission that they are not omnisciently perfect. It''s been a long road but finally you''ve got there.

[:O][:O][:O]
[/quote]

FFS, there is nothing in Lapp''s post that doesn''t make perfect sense. Yes, they''ve made mistakes but, yes, you can''t possibly argue anything other than that the club is in by far the best position it has been in since they took over. It can''t all be ''in spite'' of them.

There is an advert in today''s Racing Post for their feature on the football that is being published on Wednesday. Alongside Marcotti and  Cascarino is that knowledgeable Roeder chap. Just thought I''d point that out in case anyone needs extra loo paper this week?

[quote user="paul moy"]Nah..... our relegation was thanks to the tackle on Hoolahan that put him out for the last 5-6 games. With him fit we would have stayed up and still be managed by mediocre Roeder. We must thank whoever made that awful tackle !!  [:D] [/quote]Small point but I am a pedantic so and so...Roeder had gone before we were relegated....Gunn was manager when that tackle occurred.