Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Mike Walker , Paul Lambert parallel

Back in December 1993 when Everton first started to enquire after our manager, Walker tried to improve on his one year rolling contract after a season and a half of great success , however Chase played hardball and we lost him to Everton and the decline and so on is history.

However fast forward to 2011 and Lamberts incredible rise to these giddy heights after only two seasons, but how refreshing to see our board move quickly to tie him down for as long as possible, i for one am delighted that we have learnt from previous errors and if he does eventually move on from us that at least we did everything we could to try and keep him.

A very well done to the board :))

IMO, this is the first time that we''ve had a board that seem to have the ambition. Maybe they''ve learnt from all that''s happened before i.e. penny pinching here, delaying bringing in new players there has ultimately led to failure and huge financial losses.

Chase was a pretender. He knew what was best for the club, but didn''t know how to actually put those actions into motion i.e. Mike Walker, Martin O''Neil etc etc etc.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Chase was a pretender. He knew what was best for the club, but didn''t know how to actually put those actions into motion i.e. Mike Walker, Martin O''Neil etc etc etc.[/quote]I actually agree with this.... might need my tin hat on but had we of had a Mcnally like Figure at the club helping chase it might have ended up so differently... Perhaps we''d now be the force in the premiership?

Say what you like about Chase, he was deliberately harming Norwich, he just wasn''t cut out for the job. He promised O''Neil money to spend thinking that was the best way to go about it, when O''Neil actually found out that the Well was dry, he left.

Thankfully our board now seem so full of ambition. It''s great to see. I genuinely don''t think we will be scrapping on the last day next season to stay up. I think we''ll finish just below mid-table.

It does feel very different to back then...  you just knew in those days that as soon as any interest was shown in any of our players - or in this case manager - that it was a case of ''how much?'' rather than ''will they stay?''.

On a side note, thats where the parallels between Walker and Lambert stop for me.  Lambert inherited a terrible side (certainly one in a terrible position anyway) whereas Walker capitalised on the foundations set down by Stringer and  Ken Brown before him.

Walker, we sure lost out there as his stunning managerial record shows.

O''Neil, cynics might suggest that he provoked the disputer so as to have a reason for leaving as he had already been in discusions with Leicester. Thankfully he never ''walked out'' on any other club after that.

Transfers. Chase was totally at fault for following ''industry practice'' and allowing clauses in players contracts to allow them to move if a bid of a certain level came in.

Sutton - sold for Blackburn for a record fee that was nearly 50% higher than the previous record of Alan Shearer. Thankfully we have a club where an offer of 40% higher than the record would be turned down (though whether we have a player worth £70m is a moot point)

''hambition'' - where the fans stupidity is matched by the club

I agree Jas, we had fab youngsters coming through and had that team stayed together i think we may have had a say for a few seasons at the very top.

As regards the other comment , Walker inherited a side that finished 18th the season before and lost star player Fleck before the new season had got going, admittedly a few of the season befores squad featured heavily in Walkers side, we were actually relegation favourites that season, so Walkers reign should never be underestimated

I have little doubt that Mc Nally is at the heart of this, probably one of the best signings this club has ever made allowing an enthusiastic but somewhat naive board in the past just to let him do all the difficult footy stuff with the management team. Lambert and co are the new O Neil and he took Leicester on an amazing run of success before being poached bt Celtic. With all the fall out North of the border i would be amazed if Lambert would be tempted back there. The better he does though then bigger and more established premiership clubs may eventually become interested. Lets enjoy the present though and take it a season at a go

I think Lambert is way better as a manager than Walker... primarily as the latter inherited a sound squad of young players, whereas Lambert has built from nothing.... with nothing.When Walker returned I think we saw how ordinary he actually was.... and had (hypothetically) Paul Lambert been around at that point the history of NCFC would have been very different.Just as Lambert has saved Smith.... he would have also saved Chase.

I heartily concur with what has been said already re Chase and McNally.!

I also feel this is the best football we have played since the Walker days, nothing has come close since (not even Worthy''s promotion team)

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]I agree Jas, we had fab youngsters coming through and had that team stayed together i think we may have had a say for a few seasons at the very top. As regards the other comment , Walker inherited a side that finished 18th the season before and lost star player Fleck before the new season had got going, admittedly a few of the season befores squad featured heavily in Walkers side, we were actually relegation favourites that season, so Walkers reign should never be underestimated[/quote]

Not seeking to diminish what he achieved as it was a great time to be a Norwich fan and I will always remember him fondly for that, not to mention his incredible success in the skip-hire buiness.

My point was that that Mark Robins aside, that squad was built before his tenure with the likes of Crook, Phillips, Bowen.. well I dont have to name them all I''m sure... being signed and established prior to his taking over.

It was the right time for Stringer to go as we had been weak - apart from the cup run - for a couple of seasons.  But Walker came in and exploited a great opportunity with a squad that was full of class players.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I think Lambert is way better as a manager than Walker... primarily as the latter inherited a sound squad of young players, whereas Lambert has built from nothing.... with nothing.

When Walker returned I think we saw how ordinary he actually was.... and had (hypothetically) Paul Lambert been around at that point the history of NCFC would have been very different.

Just as Lambert has saved Smith.... he would have also saved Chase.
[/quote]

Have to agree mate, Walker was special, but Lambert is on a whole new level.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Back in December 1993 when Everton first started to enquire after our manager, Walker tried to improve on his one year rolling contract after a season and a half of great success , however Chase played hardball and we lost him to Everton and the decline and so on is history.

However fast forward to 2011 and Lamberts incredible rise to these giddy heights after only two seasons, but how refreshing to see our board move quickly to tie him down for as long as possible, i for one am delighted that we have learnt from previous errors and if he does eventually move on from us that at least we did everything we could to try and keep him.

A very well done to the board :))[/quote]I don''t rate Mike Walker all that much as a manager. He was a great coach, and got the best out of players, but in his first spell he only really bought 3 decent players that I can think of: Robins, Ekoku and Prior. If anyone else can think of any others, let me know, but I don''t think there were any! He just inherited an amazing squad from Stringer and knew exactly how to get the best of them.Lambert is more than that. He can get the best out of players, but as we have seen he can build a squad in his own image practically from scratch as well. I''m sure the board realise that losing Lambert would be twice the mistake that losing Walker was!

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I think Lambert is way better as a manager than Walker... primarily as the latter inherited a sound squad of young players, whereas Lambert has built from nothing.... with nothing.

[/quote]

Would you like to calculate how much we''ve spent on wages and fees for players like:

Ruddy, R. Martin, Crofts, Surman, Holt, Whitbread, Jackson, Hoolahan, Holt, Barnett... I could continue!

Making out that Lambert has had nothing to spend and that he didnt have anything to start with anyway is just ridiculous.  You ought to be ashamed of yourself Cluckberk, Delia and MWJ deserve a lot of credit for rectifying their mistakes (and thats all they were) and appointing McNasty and thens subsequently Lambert.

Your anti Delia rants just serve to make you look incredibly stupid and petty.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Harry"]Who''s blubbed cluckberk? Not me. I can deal with keyboard warriors like you and I can accept facts, if I''m proved wrong I can also admit I''m wrong and not just ignore it and resort to insults, can you honestly say the same?[/quote]

Boo hoo hoo....  [:''(]

Actually I''ve found some old colouring in books my kids didn''t finish.  Would you like them sent on to the campsite?
[/quote]

Out of interest, what is the inference with this mention of ''campsites''?

Don''t bite - he is King Troll. I always wonder how empty their lives must be to try and be controversial and get a rise out of people on a message board. We should pity them, not react to them.

[quote user="Mario Harpershite"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckberk "][quote user="Harry"]Who''s blubbed cluckberk? Not me. I can deal with keyboard warriors like you and I can accept facts, if I''m proved wrong I can also admit I''m wrong and not just ignore it and resort to insults, can you honestly say the same?[/quote]

Boo hoo hoo....  [:''(]Actually I''ve found some old colouring in books my kids didn''t finish.  Would you like them sent on to the campsite?[/quote]

Out of interest, what is the inference with this mention of ''campsites''?

[/quote]It''s just cluckberk trying to get me to bite, I actually live in a 3 bedroom semi in Gorleston where after I was made redundant I''m a full time carer for my partner who is confined to a wheelchair, this in cluckberks pathetic little mind makes me a scrounger so infers that I live in a caravan.

[quote user="Paul Cluckberk "]Just as Lambert has saved Smith.... he would have also saved Chase.[/quote]Apparently I''m not allowed an opinion on this as my posts after it have been deleted.

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Paul Cluckberk "]Just as Lambert has saved Smith.... he would have also saved Chase.[/quote]Apparently I''m not allowed an opinion on this as my posts after it have been deleted.[/quote]Pete gives us a very long length of rope on here and if posts are removed it''s for a valid reason.For heavens sake lighten up and accept that if you want to provoke others, it will come back at you twice as hard.... that''s how it is in the real world and how it will be on here.  I say again then... if you can''t take it... don''t dish it.It really is that simple Harry.

I notice your post have been deleted as well cluckberk[IMG]http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pot-kettle-black.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Paul Cluckberk "]Just as Lambert has saved Smith.... he would have also saved Chase.
[/quote]

Apparently I''m not allowed an opinion on this as my posts after it have been deleted.
[/quote]

As have mine Harry. It seems you''re only allowed one cluckin'' opinion on this cluckin'' site and if your cluckin'' face don''t cluckin'' fit your cluckin'' posts get cluckin'' deleted[:@]

[;)]

[quote user="Harry"]I notice your post have been deleted as well cluckberk[IMG]http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pot-kettle-black.jpg[/IMG][/quote]Don''t worry about it.I''d already had the ''deletion'' mail when I posted and it doesn''t worry me one bit. Pete has a job to do..... and that''s the end of it.Pots and kettles don''t come into it.

I''ve had four today, three from this thread and one for a slightly naughty song about a certain player in the When we play ManUre next season.... thread, all of them have no reason given on them. [:)]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]

Your anti Delia rants just serve to make you look incredibly stupid and petty.

[/quote]

He,he,he,he

[quote user="nutty nigel"]As have mine Harry. It seems you''re only allowed one cluckin'' opinion on this cluckin'' site and if your cluckin'' face don''t cluckin'' fit your cluckin'' posts get cluckin'' deleted[:@]

I think I have it! It seems every time I post a pic of Tangy with his urn the thread disappears.

Let''s try it......

[IMG]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/lappinitup/027.jpg[/IMG]

[;)]

[/quote]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]As have mine Harry. It seems you''re only allowed one cluckin'' opinion on this cluckin'' site and if your cluckin'' face don''t cluckin'' fit your cluckin'' posts get cluckin'' deleted[:@]

[/quote]I think I have it! It seems every time I post a pic of Tangy with his urn the thread disappears.

Let''s see......

[IMG]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/lappinitup/027.jpg[/IMG]