Sign in to follow this  
willo2

CMS has his say on TalkSport

Over at talk sport

Craig Mackail-Smith has told talkSPORT

of his disappointment at missing out on a move to Norwich – but insists

he will remain fully focused on Peterborough’s promotion push. The Canaries have had a £3million bid rejected for the Posh striker, who has struck 21 goals in League One this season.

Speaking to Drive Time, Mackail-Smith admitted: “Norwich are on the

verge of getting in the Premier League and for them to want me to join

the team to push them over the edge is a great compliment.

“But the club have said it’s not the right offer and I won’t let it

affect me. I love playing football, that’s my job and I’ll keep giving

100 per cent to Peterborough until I’m told otherwise. “I’d love

to play at a higher level but I can only do what the club allow me to.

The bid wasn’t right for the club. When the right bid comes in and the

club come to me and say they’ve accepted the offer then I’ll take it

from there and see what happens. “I’ve just got to concentrate on my football, keep doing what I’m doing, and sooner or later something will come from it.”

Seems like he wants this to happen, watch this space....................................

£3 million, that is a very substantial offer for a league 1 player. I honestly would of thought PBoro would of bit our hand off.

Hopefully this isnt the end of it, if it costs us an xtra £500k then do it, yes its a gamble but if bring in CMS gives us that final push over the finish line its a bargain[Y] OTBC

This stinks of the Elliot Bennett story in the Jan transfer window.

Why would Peterborough sell us one of their best players on the cusp of the end of the season? It would be a huge gamble to spend anything more than the 3 mil quoted, I would much prefer we saved the money until the summer and carry on looking for an experienced striker to come in.

I hope it comes off but I was wary especially when people were creaming themselves yesterday just because Dion Dublin said it

RE: Talksport interview....if it was drivetime its likely he was talking to Adrian Durham who is a Posh fan...unlikely Mackail-Smith would tell him what he really thought.

We have to get somebody in before the emergency loan window shuts , we have 2 fit strikers and if Holt was to get injured that would be promotion bid over .

I cant see it happening this season but if in the summer we put in another good bid then I reckon he will come.  He sounds like he would jump at the chance if we were in the Premier League.

[quote user="Boyo"]I cant see it happening this season but if in the summer we put in another good bid then I reckon he will come.  He sounds like he would jump at the chance if we were in the Premier League.[/quote]Alot of players would jump at the chance if we get to the prem[Y]

Really hope this deal isnt dead. Im sure talks are ongoing now

3 million is too much in my opinion and sounds like the club are taking a gamble.  We are by no means assured of promotion and if we dont make it, are we gonna have much to spend in the summer?  Thinking about it further, are we gonna need to spend much in the summer if we didn''t go up?  We need 2 strikers, 1 to replace Jackson and another more experienced head and probably another right back and back up midfielder, on the basis that Gill, OTJ and Hughes shipped out.  I''d rather we spread our funds a bit more and not blow it all on one player.

On the flipside, if we do make it having signed him, is he good enough for the prem?  3 million is a lot for someone with 1 season, a half decent season, at championship level.

I dunno, my gut feeling is, its a big gamble and the figures people are suggesting are a bit much...

[quote user="Boyo"]I cant see it happening this season but if in the summer we put in another good bid then I reckon he will come.  He sounds like he would jump at the chance if we were in the Premier League.[/quote]If we go up I think it highly likely that both CMS and Elliot will have missed the boat as we will be looking for bigger fish to fry. If Lambert wants somebody now and spends the money to get them then that will be that as far as the other two are concerned.

Agree about the £3 million price tag , that''s about double what i would have thought he was worth ,also would be a huge question mark over him being Premiership class. £3 million used to get you something a bit special but i guess prices have gone crazy and selling clubs know we are a bit desperate.

[quote user="jed exodous"]

3 million is too much in my opinion and sounds like the club are taking a gamble.  We are by no means assured of promotion and if we dont make it, are we gonna have much to spend in the summer?  Thinking about it further, are we gonna need to spend much in the summer if we didn''t go up?  We need 2 strikers, 1 to replace Jackson and another more experienced head and probably another right back and back up midfielder, on the basis that Gill, OTJ and Hughes shipped out.  I''d rather we spread our funds a bit more and not blow it all on one player.

On the flipside, if we do make it having signed him, is he good enough for the prem?  3 million is a lot for someone with 1 season, a half decent season, at championship level.

I dunno, my gut feeling is, its a big gamble and the figures people are suggesting are a bit much...

[/quote]When i 1st saw the price we bid o did think TO MUCH!, Yes its a gamble as are buying  players from the lower leagues.

IF this is whats needed to give us that final push to the prem then its money well spent.

As we all know the prem is worth £45 million a season give or take a few £££s. There isnt many teams if any that are going to sell there top scorer at this stage of the season thats why i think we bid a VERY substantial amount to try prize him  away from Posh.

IF we didnt manage to secure promotion this season the money still wouldnt be wasted as im sure CMS would score bundles for us and would compliment Holty really well, add Bennet to the mix and we have a very very strong team to make another assault on Auto promotion

[quote user="Ncfc"]Agree about the £3 million price tag , that''s about double what i would have thought he was worth ,also would be a huge question mark over him being Premiership class. £3 million used to get you something a bit special but i guess prices have gone crazy and selling clubs know we are a bit desperate.[/quote]I would suggest that as we are 2nd highest goalscorers in the top 6 we are not that desperate for a striker that we want to pay way over the odds.If £3 miillion is correct then its way over the odds for a league 1 striker and I suggest we shouldn''t go back with a bigger offer. If PBoro don''t want to sell then so be it, but I doubt they will ever get a better offer. Likewise Brighton and Elliiot.With money tight all round I can''t see either player going for more money in the close season.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Ncfc"]Agree about the £3 million price tag , that''s about double what i would have thought he was worth ,also would be a huge question mark over him being Premiership class. £3 million used to get you something a bit special but i guess prices have gone crazy and selling clubs know we are a bit desperate.[/quote]I would suggest that as we are 2nd highest goalscorers in the top 6 we are not that desperate for a striker that we want to pay way over the odds.If £3 miillion is correct then its way over the odds for a league 1 striker and I suggest we shouldn''t go back with a bigger offer. If PBoro don''t want to sell then so be it, but I doubt they will ever get a better offer. Likewise Brighton and Elliiot.With money tight all round I can''t see either player going for more money in the close season.[/quote]With only Holt and Jackson fit we are only one bad tackle or pulled hamstring away from being very desperate.

McNally just Tweeted:

Why is it that ex-players kid on about being ''in the know'', like last night on BBC? They end up misleading the fans @norwichcityfc #ncfc

Twitter for BlackBerry® • 15/03/2011 18:42

I hope the people winging about the price tag are not the same people who are desperate for Lambert to bring a forward on. We have looked at every option available in this loan window and have resorted to a loan with a view to a permanent deal, Now these type of loans on average bring about an increase in transfer fee of anything up to about 50%, that is because of the time they are made and the position of the club giving up the player. It''s like the Torres situation, he was only worth 50M because it was January and it''s at a time where Chelsea were looking to get out of trouble.At the moment we are fighting for auto playoff and clubs letting players come to us will know that and raise the prices of players. Now a loan with view to permanent deal from a club lower than us is always going to be more expensive than normal. Why would they want to let thier best player go, espicially when they are fighting for auto promotion too. That is why the offer is so big, come the summer i would be surprised if any offer surpased 2M or so. The extra 1M or more to get him here for 9 games may be worth if, if he scored a few and we get promoted. I personally think the club should take the gamble as we are in such a good position that the risk is as minimal as it could be. He can no doubt cut it at this level, so even if we do not get promoted he will still add a lot next season. Also offload Jackson this summer we can recoup some of the money. The Chris Martin situation still bemuses me, seems like there is no such injury and he was given time off from the club, that is all i know

If we''ve £3mil to spend on a striker who is unproven at Championship level then I suggest we bring Earnshaw back, who I would imagine would cost us less than that figure as he''s out of contract at the end of the season and would undoubtedly get us the goals.

[quote user="JTG"]If we''ve £3mil to spend on a striker who is unproven at Championship level then I suggest we bring Earnshaw back, who I would imagine would cost us less than that figure as he''s out of contract at the end of the season and would undoubtedly get us the goals.[/quote]Earnshaw''s injured

Why would Forest sell one of their players to a top 6 rival? They wouldn''t.

CMS is a gamble but if he scores a winner in a game or 2, then it will be worth it. I would pay a million and a half now to assist us in the top 2 challenge.

Re Mcnasty''s tweet, why would Posh say that there was a bid excepted, Dublin was right then.

Did Posh say they had accepted a bid from us, I though Fry said the chairman rejected our proposal?

Can''t see Lambert ever signing Earnshaw, not his type of player.

[quote user="O.T.B.C"]Why would Forest sell one of their players to a top 6 rival? They wouldn''t.

CMS is a gamble but if he scores a winner in a game or 2, then it will be worth it. I would pay a million and a half now to assist us in the top 2 challenge.

Re Mcnasty''s tweet, why would Posh say that there was a bid excepted, Dublin was right then.[/quote]For a large sum of money for a player that looks like they will be losing for nothing in a couple of months. Likewise why would Posh sell one of their players when challenging for promotion? Money. Money talks in football.As said above though, if he''s injured, that one''s a non starter.Unbelievable lack of professionalism from Dublin, very surprised by him. Don''t think he''ll be mouthing off again any time soon.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Boyo"]I cant see it happening this season but if in the summer we put in another good bid then I reckon he will come.  He sounds like he would jump at the chance if we were in the Premier League.[/quote]If we go up I think it highly likely that both CMS and Elliot will have missed the boat as we will be looking for bigger fish to fry. If Lambert wants somebody now and spends the money to get them then that will be that as far as the other two are concerned.[/quote]

I totally agree.

I''m almost positive the deal would be something along the lines of 1 mill up front and an extra 2 if we make it to the prem. I surprised old Fry didn''t go for a gamble like that

Perhaps some kindly soul could point me, and everyone else, to anywhere that has some official confirmation of ANY figure quoted.

If a bid around 3 million was rejected then I would hope we do not come back with an improved offer, as 3 million is a huge gamble for this player as it is. A 27 year old mainly been scoring in the lower leagues apart from one season does not warrent a 3 million pound offer in my opinion. Of course, some people say Holt was relatively inexperienced in this league and look what he is producing and that is all well and good but we didn''t buy Holt for around 3 million, there was no risk - we were lucky at such a bargain Holt could make the step up. Jackson scored a lot of goals in league 1 in a poor team but has failed to make much of an impact this season, and Martin scored a few goals in the championship a few years back and scored a lot in league one but has only scored 4 league goals this season; CMS is a huge risk for this type of money. We are second in the league because despite having very few clean sheets, we do score a lot of goals. Nothing against the player, I just feel a bid of 3 million + is too much for a player who is barely experienced in the championship, let alone if we get promoted to the prem.