Sign in to follow this  
Phyxius

Football League Show

[quote user="vos"]Truly awful. I did not actually think she had been at the match - it sounded as if it had been dubbed. Gave very little credit to some superb football provided by the Canaries. As has already been stated, typical BBC political correctness.

I am getting on a bit, but even I noticed whats her name - Lizzie.[/quote]Agree it did sound dubbed, but she was at the game according to Ms Oatley''s Twitter.http://twitter.com/#!/JacquiOatley

It''s political correctness gone mad! It just sounded so naff; she does indeed come across as a 13 year-old boy with clichés to match. I honestly thought it must be dubbed; she sounded removed from what what actually going on - kind of opposite to the effect you actually want!...

Well, we had a perfectly good English guy (not a quota type) doing commentary on the Al Jazeera live coverage of the match. Gary Lineker does work for them both so I assume that this coverage had BBC roots.

He was pretty accurate throughout, his diction was good and he was very complimentary about the quality of the match and the two teams in general.

If you get a chance you may wish to ease your pain by watching this coverage.

OTBC

P.S I assume that the Arabs would not put up with a female commentator, so if you want to avoid her tune in to Al Jazeera next time!!!

"It''s political correctness gone mad!2

Of course it is dear, just as hedgehog flavoured cucumbers have been banned.

Back on planet reality it is merely part of Footballs desperate attempt to target their ''product'' at a new demographic - often referred to as the happy clappies, the familes, the mother and daughters who all too often are there for the ''experience''. ITV were doing this way back with Gobby Yorath on the Premiership show. A commentator who struggled even with an extremely well written script.

But then, why have a reasoned grasp of what''s happening when a vacuous cliche will do - and save any thought.

And for my part I don''t think her voice is suitable nor her does her grasp of the game appearssufficient - but Lizzie and her witless emails should have pointed you towards the way the media coverage has been going for some while.

It was just embarrassing. There''s just something about the tone and timbre of a female voice that doesn''t lend itself to live commentary... in defence of women, though, I''ve heard Eleanor Oldroyd do countless match summaries on Sports Report on Five Live, and she''s pretty good. Maybe they should let her have a crack at it and see if she''s any better?

we have magically been transported back to the 1930''s in this thread.. Jaquie Oatley should be in the kitchen on a saturday afternoon cooking the tea, or bare foot and pregnant should she not?Football is a "mans game" after all... shame these men roll around on the floor like a bunch of fairies at the slightest of contacts.I didnt mind the commentary and thought it made a change.

That''s not quite true jas, though some comments may reflect that. It was a poor commentary and it happened to be by a woman hence the stick. As I pointed out in an earlier post, some male commentators are just as bad with the cliches, as did other posters.There are good and bad commentators out there, as with all kinds of jobs. We got unlucky Saturday. Maybe we''ll get Tony Gubba next week [:P]

That''s not quite true jas, though some comments may reflect that. It was a poor commentary and it happened to be by a woman hence the stick. As I pointed out in an earlier post, some male commentators are just as bad with the cliches, as did other posters.There are good and bad commentators out there, as with all kinds of jobs. We got unlucky Saturday. Maybe we''ll get Tony Gubba next week [:P]

I''m not sure it was a woman.  I was also under the impression the last of the Castrati had long since passed on, clearly I''m wrong.  Last night of the proms will be worth a listen this year.

The commentyator for our game (v Cardiff) had a dose of the shreeking verbal diahrea (however you spell it).  Probably the worst commentator in decades.  A few decades back there was an excellent commentator, he covered the big matches He didnt feel the need to speak all the time and his voice didn''t grate on the listener.

I also thought that some of the pictures were poor (i.e., breaking up).

The commentary was dubbed.

I watched the live stream version and it was a live male commentator broadcasting for the various international channels. It sounded like Jon Champion to me.....................dunno if he still works for ITV or ESPN theses days or freelance

The Al Jazeera commentator was John Roder - I still thought he did Beeb commnetary.

As for Jacquie, perhaps her voice got carried away with the delights of Carra Rudd and the football on show.  She certainly would have appreciated it more than Molineux surely (she''s a Wolves supporter - hence the monotone black Country accent that creeps through occasionally).

I feel sorry for her - last week I responded to her tweet about highlights on the FLS.  I said you would have thought Norwich v QPR would have been the main match.  She repied in the vein that she appreicated our thoughts but would discuss it with the editors.  I think to get slated after ensuring we were the main match the next time round was pretty mean.  She did ensure we got that feature - didn''t she? he asked  naively!

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

The commentary was dubbed.

I watched the live stream version and it was a live male commentator broadcasting for the various international channels. It sounded like Jon Champion to me.....................dunno if he still works for ITV or ESPN theses days or freelance

[/quote]John Champion was commentating on West Ham V Arsenal for ESPN on Saturday. Jacqui Oatley was at Carrow Road Saturday, however it is not unusual for commentators to re-record some of their commentary if needs be, which begs the question how bad was it before she had to re do it?!

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

BTW. the women presenters onSky Sports News dont feel the need to shreek. Their voices are so gentle on the ears.

[/quote]

I don''t tend to listen to what they say[;)]