Sign in to follow this  
emmaroyds

who want`s to be in the Premier league?

This time round we have McNally in charge who has a 7 year business plan. The premiership will form part of writing our debts off. I agree however that as things stand our goal would be to become a mid table premiership team. Our excitement should then be in cups rather than titles and striveing again to obtain a position where we can once again play in Europe - which of course McNally laid the foundations for at Fulham.

This article sums up the predicament of getting to the Premier League pretty nicely.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/4128/38/

Do you adopt Bolton''s ''mollusc'' approach and cling on to your Premier League status for dear life while charging fans 40 quid a time to watch dross. Or do you do a West Brom and try and play good football but ultimeately end up being a yo-yo club? For me it''s a yo-yo club but this involves having the club run properly from top to bottom to cope with the financial implications of being in and out of the premier league. The idea of becoming a constant lower premier league hoof ball team like Bolton or Wigan is just too boring to bear.

Can''t think about the Premier league until we get back into the Championship and challenging for a top 6 place.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]This time round we have McNally in charge who has a 7 year business plan. The premiership will form part of writing our debts off. I agree however that as things stand our goal would be to become a mid table premiership team. Our excitement should then be in cups rather than titles and striveing again to obtain a position where we can once again play in Europe - which of course McNally laid the foundations for at Fulham.[/quote]

Great post!

@emmaroyds

"do you remember what it was like the last time we was in the Premier league? A couple of good results but in the main it wasn`t nice to watch us struggling week in week out."

Completely disagree with that, I actually really enjoyed our last Premier League season despite it ending in bitter disappointment. The quality and entertainment on show was superior to anything you get outsdie of the prem, we never looked out of our depth at home with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions. Even when we were losing 3-2 to teams like Everton the Norwich fans still went home happy because of how well we had played that day. The atmosphere inside Carrow Road was buzzing every week, a far cry from how crap it is today, and away fans regularly brought large numbers to Carrow Road which very rarely happens in the Champ or League 1.

Give me a Premiership relegation fight over League 1 or Championship winners any day.

[quote user="Chewbacca"]I have to say that I have little desire for our club to be in the Premier League. The thought of beginning every season with the aim to ''survive'' would slowly tear away my soul, and my passion for the game. In fact the Premier League is doing this already. A billionaire''s playground enjoyed by the priviledged few, with no regard for the traditions, history and welfare of the English game in general. Does anyone wonder why the season ticket waiting list at Old Trafford, once standing at over 20,00 has now completely disappeared? I can think of few things more satisfying than watching a club like Manchester United implode due to an over reliance on debt and gluttonous fans in the wrong climate. Overpriced tickets, ridiculous kick-off times, gloryhunting fans and the knowledge that it will all end with a loboriously predictable outcome every season hardly wets my appetite.[/quote]

The season-ticket waiting list has disappeared at Manure because there is a mass protest by thousands of fans who want to see the back of the parasitic owner. They are thus boycotting season-tickets.  

It''s an interesting thread that poses very interesting questions. I can understand both points of view. Of course we want our club to be the best wherever we are playing. At the start of this season I''m sure most Norwich fans thought that nothing less than the play offs would be acceptable. As time has gone on I''m sure we now feel nothing less than automatic promotion. And if we stay top for many more weeks we would be disappointed to finish second. That''s what being a fan is about. At this time last season avoiding relegation would have been seen as success. Fans want the very best they can get from their club both in the long and the short term. If we go up this year I doubt many fans would demand back to back promotions and would, long term, be happy with a mid-table finish next season. But if next March we found ourselves where Leicester are now our expectations will have risen and if we were to finish mid-table from that position us fans would be disappointed.

Now some of you say you would be happy to be a yoyo club like West Brom and Birmingham but that''s looking at it from where we are now. I doubt the fans of those two clubs are happy being a yoyo club. Especially when other clubs like Wigan and Bolton have been established in the Premier League for a number of seasons. The problem with being a yoyo club is the fear that your luck will run out. Because while clubs like Birmingham, Sunderland, West Brom and Wolves have managed to "do the yoyo" just as many in Charlton, Leicester, Norwich and Southampton have plummeted to League One. Each time your side is relegated you have no more than a 50/50 chance of returning before the parachte stops working and you fall.

Where most of us old gits would like to be is in the old First Division where you competed with the best on a level playing field so to speak. But that league doesn''t exist anymore so we choose whether to be happy in the Championship or go play russian roulette in the Premier League. When push comes to shove I choose to aim for russian roulette. Because if we aim to stand still we will go backwards as we proved last season. I just hope that by the time we get there football has come to it''s senses or those clubs who run the show have p*ssed off to pastures new.

I would hope by the time we get back to the Premier league that some common sense has prevailed regarding player wages. I think more than just Portsmouth will have imploded by then and hopefully we might get a more level playing field.

Trouble is the Premier League is run by and for the benefit of just four clubs and that needs to be broken somehow. This sort of news just makes you realise that the PL is not about football or entertainment but the power and money of just a very elite four. So all bar four clubs want change but thsoe four can dictate the rules? What a load of bollox!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8549867.stm

The most over hyped league in the world. I hate everything that it has become and point the finger of blame at Sky. The most entertaining  league my arse, Whats entertaining about knowing who the top 4 will be before a ball has been kicked and the ambitions of half the teams is just to survive? It''s devalued the FA Cup and the fact that only 4 teams have ever won it and Blackburn was a one of after spending millions shows how uncompetitive it really is. But do i want us in it? Unfortunately yes because as others have said you want to be the best you can be.

I asked the question because I had heard opinions from a couple of people who said there was a ground swell of opinion on this subject and it looks like that is the case although it`s not really an avalanche.

Some good posts on both sides of the debate which is nice to see. We`ll overlook AndyCanary who`s contribution is to call someone a muppet because their opinion differed from his.

As stated above, it looks like the Premier league is starting to sort it act out and not before time. I don`t have the answers but if it takes a top team to go tits up before common sense prevails then so be it. I will then be happy to try and get in the Premier league

In the mean time it`s Come on you yellows as we need to get out of Div 3 first

Good post, Iwan''s dentist. I agree with virtually all of it, especially the point about a civic ceremony.

But your first paragraph contradicts your remark that we have no one to blame but ourselves. Of course mistakes were made during the Premiership season and especially thereafter. But it''s not coincidence that Southampton, Coventry, Forest, Norwich, Charlton, etc are all outside the top flight, while Hull, Wigan, Bolton, Fulham etc are all in it. Medium-sized one-club city provincial clubs cannot compete with tin-pot teams that happen to be owned by squillionaires. If we''d got ourselves into appalling debt in the Prem we might have stayed up, but then Ashton would have broken his knee and we would have gone down and out of business.

The whole set-up stinks and football is much the poorer for it.

The ultimate goal for me is to watch us play in Europe again and in all likelihood that is going to mean doing pretty well in the Premiership. 

For most of us the finest memories we have of our club was our foray into Europe and in terms of biggest loss not getting to play there through no fault of our own.  Watching Fulham last Thursday brought home to me what might be possible and maybe just maybe with the new found strength we have throughout our club these days it might just happen?  

Just imagine getting on a plane to some far flung corner of eastern Europe at 5am in the morning from Norwich Airport and having a  proper two day jolly up, now that’s the stuff of dreams

[quote user="emmaroyds"]I ask this question because it is becoming clearer by the day that the Premier league can only lead to bad news for clubs like ours.

There are only about 4 clubs capable of winning the Premier league. probably another 4 who are mid table at best and the rest who are chasing a dream and getting deeper and deeper into debt just trying to stay there.

Then what happens when relegation comes, you only need to look at former Premier league clubs who are in financial trouble to see the answer.

Is it all realy worth it? Wouldn`t it be nice if the teams promoted from the Championship told the Premier league where to stick it.

I await dogs abuse from those of you accusing me of not having ambition, well if ambition means going to the wall then I am guilty[/quote]

Oh no EmmaRoyds, I would rather we stay in this league and then cease to be. Crappest thread of the month goes to

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Good post, Iwan''s dentist. I agree with virtually all of it, especially the point about a civic ceremony. But your first paragraph contradicts your remark that we have no one to blame but ourselves. Of course mistakes were made during the Premiership season and especially thereafter. But it''s not coincidence that Southampton, Coventry, Forest, Norwich, Charlton, etc are all outside the top flight, while Hull, Wigan, Bolton, Fulham etc are all in it. Medium-sized one-club city provincial clubs cannot compete with tin-pot teams that happen to be owned by squillionaires. If we''d got ourselves into appalling debt in the Prem we might have stayed up, but then Ashton would have broken his knee and we would have gone down and out of business. The whole set-up stinks and football is much the poorer for it.[/quote]

I don''t think I have contradicted myself too much. Charlton again are in league 1 for a reason. They made poor management choices such as Iain Dowie, Les Parry and Alan Pardew was also a flop. They also signed expensive players who failed miserably. Luke Varney and his 20k a week or so spring to mind. The crucial factor is that only 20 teams can be in the premiership. So that means bad management can spell the end for you in that league and such is the competition it is never easy to get back.