Sign in to follow this  
The Dog

McVeigh

i''d rather see Lappin at left back than McVeigh

we could then play McNamee down the left and restore Korey to the starting 11.

whether or not McVeigh has played well for the reserves i can''t see him shoreing a defence which has proved a little sloppy in recent games.  you need someone solid and reliable at the back - not an ex-winger.  i''m not saying Lappin fits that role but he''s the best of what we have until Drury is back.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]McWeight is only here thanks to his mate, chief leech Gunn, he''ll vanish in the summer.[/quote]

Why has he been on the bench then?

From what I''ve heard, he is a popular member of the squad and very good with the young players. I wouldn''t be surprised if he''s kept on the coaching staff.

[/quote]

Unfortunately opinions based on never actually seeing a player play will usually be pretty inaccurate! I''m sure, like you, he earned his place on the bench, we all know Lambert doesn''t suffer fools gladly!
[/quote]

I''ve probably seen McFat play more times than you Morty, and in his prime I didn''t rate him then, years later?

And even you were critical of Gunn signing him!

[/quote]

If you seriously mean that, you sir know nothing about football.
[/quote]

Err Okay.[:D]

I had no problem in the signing, he was only ever going to be a squad player and would be cheap, like people have said, he is a popular member of the staff. He must be doing something right for Lambo to stick him on the bench.

And when he was in his prime, I thought he made our team tick and had a very good eye for the ball and pass.

WLY is a handy guy in the squad, his encouragement to Korey Smith during Lamberts first few games was also a big plus.

Think he''d be alright coming off from the bench, one of my favourite City players ever.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]McWeight is only here thanks to his mate, chief leech Gunn, he''ll vanish in the summer.[/quote]

From what I''ve heard, he is a popular member of the squad and very good with the young players. I wouldn''t be surprised if he''s kept on the coaching staff.

[/quote]Unfortunately opinions based on never actually seeing a player play will usually be pretty inaccurate! I''m sure, like you, he earned his place on the bench, we all know Lambert doesn''t suffer fools gladly![/quote]

I''ve probably seen McFat play more times than you Morty, and in his prime I didn''t rate him then, years later?

[/quote]If you seriously mean that, you sir know nothing about football.[/quote]

[/quote]He was probably our best player between 2001 and 2003. Fool.

It was really daft signing. It made no sense signing a bloke who could''nt get a game for Luton. It was clear that we got the best of him in his first spell. He looked really good on that left hand side in the play off year. I thought his best game for the club was when we played Wolves at Carrow Road and he took Muscat to the cleaners. I was sitting in the lower barclay that day and the crowd absolutely loved it.

I have lot of time for the bloke but I think he is an ok league 2 player on a good day. Nothing more.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]It made no sense signing a bloke who could''nt get a game for Luton.[/quote]Didn''t they stop playing him because they couldn''t afford to pay him or something like that?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Yarmyed"]It made no sense signing a bloke who could''nt get a game for Luton.[/quote]
Didn''t they stop playing him because they couldn''t afford to pay him or something like that?
[/quote]

Spot on, his form was actually quite good for Luton, chipped in with a few goals too but their hands were tied and couldn''t afford his wages as he was on a pay as you play contract.

If some of that was down to contractual reasons than fair enough but he didnt exactly set the world alight when he played from them either as 3 goals (one a penalty) spead over two seasons suggests.

I can sympathise with Gunn signing Whaley because quite a few fans on this forum thought the bloke could have been our trump card because he had played very well at times in the championship. But are you actually trying to suggest that McVeigh was a sensible signing at the time? It wasnt as if clubs were battering the door down to sign him in the lower leagues.

I am not saying he is an awful player. Just not the sort of player we should have been signing if we were serious about getting out of league 1 at the first attempt.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

If some of that was down to contractual reasons than fair enough but he didnt exactly set the world alight when he played from them either as 3 goals (one a penalty) spead over two seasons suggests.

I can sympathise with Gunn signing Whaley because quite a few fans on this forum thought the bloke could have been our trump card because he had played very well at times in the championship. But are you actually trying to suggest that McVeigh was a sensible signing at the time? It wasnt as if clubs were battering the door down to sign him in the lower leagues.

I am not saying he is an awful player. Just not the sort of player we should have been signing if we were serious about getting out of league 1 at the first attempt.

[/quote]You can''t have 25 first team players though. He was only ever signed as a squad player, and was never going to have an extended run in the first team, but would be capable of doing the odd job for us.After seeing him in the reserves I think he still has something to offer, and obviously Lambert does too by including him on the bench.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

It was really daft signing. It made no sense signing a bloke who could''nt get a game for Luton. It was clear that we got the best of him in his first spell. He looked really good on that left hand side in the play off year. I thought his best game for the club was when we played Wolves at Carrow Road and he took Muscat to the cleaners. I was sitting in the lower barclay that day and the crowd absolutely loved it.

I have lot of time for the bloke but I think he is an ok league 2 player on a good day. Nothing more.

[/quote]

Some people just don''t get it. McVeigh didn''t get a game for Luton because if he had played one more game a clause in his contract would''ve kicked in where Luton would''ve had to of paid McVeigh''s old team (us) more money.

If anyone watched the JPT Final last season you would''ve seen Luton could''ve done with McVeigh in the squad

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Larry David"]

[/quote]

Unfortunately opinions based on never actually seeing a player play will usually be pretty inaccurate! I''m sure, like you, he earned his place on the bench, we all know Lambert doesn''t suffer fools gladly!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He was probably our best player between 2001 and 2003. Fool.
[/quote]

Really?

As Lambert has already stated that he doesn''t want aging, end of their career players in his team guess what''ll happen the summer you idiot?

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Larry David"]

[/quote]Unfortunately opinions based on never actually seeing a player play will usually be pretty inaccurate! I''m sure, like you, he earned his place on the bench, we all know Lambert doesn''t suffer fools gladly![/quote]

[/quote]If you seriously mean that, you sir know nothing about football.[/quote]

[/quote]He was probably our best player between 2001 and 2003. Fool.[/quote]

Really?

As Lambert has already stated that he doesn''t want aging, end of their career players in his team guess what''ll happen the summer you idiot?

[/quote]And the hammer hits the . . . . . . thumb on the knuckle.People were suggesting that he has been a good player for us Wiz - you said you never thought he was any good even back when he had a rich vein of form for us. And now your argument is that he is old and Lambert doesn''t like older players.The thing is when he was good he was brilliant, I seem to remember one season both him and Mullers were linked to moves to the prem - it may only have been Charlton but still they can''t have been that pap to have had some premiership scouts sniffing around.  Lets also not forget McVeigh scored against Man U in the prem with a peach of a goal.As for now - Lambert isn''t as stupid as you depict him to be Wiz. He will sign players that are good no matter their age. McVeigh has been rumoured to be good behind the scenes with the younger players coming through and in the changing room. If he is given another year it may well be for what he can give to the youngsters in the reserves, it may not mean a lot to people who are watching 1st team games but if you get rid of all your senior players from the reserves then there is no one for the youngsters to learn from. Its good for them to have some players like that about the club.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Larry David"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He was probably our best player between 2001 and 2003. Fool.
[/quote]

Really?

[/quote]

And the hammer hits the . . . . . . thumb on the knuckle.

People were suggesting that he has been a good player for us Wiz - you said you never thought he was any good even back when he had a rich vein of form for us. And now your argument is that he is old and Lambert doesn''t like older players.

The thing is when he was good he was brilliant, I seem to remember one season both him and Mullers were linked to moves to the prem - it may only have been Charlton but still they can''t have been that pap to have had some premiership scouts sniffing around.  Lets also not forget McVeigh scored against Man U in the prem with a peach of a goal.

As for now - Lambert isn''t as stupid as you depict him to be Wiz. He will sign players that are good no matter their age. McVeigh has been rumoured to be good behind the scenes with the younger players coming through and in the changing room. If he is given another year it may well be for what he can give to the youngsters in the reserves, it may not mean a lot to people who are watching 1st team games but if you get rid of all your senior players from the reserves then there is no one for the youngsters to learn from. Its good for them to have some players like that about the club.
[/quote]

Look chicken, we all like and rate different players, yes? when the Barclay were booing Iwan in his early days under Walker mk II,  I was sat their applauding him!

I never liked McVeigh, and I won''t shift on that because of a few posters.

I will add further that its my belief that once a couple of injuries clear up he won''t even make that bench!

Morty what is the point in signing a player who can do a job for us when we already had a couple players who fit that description?

If you are looking at our squadWHEN he was signed remember WHEN is the important factor here. Gunn''s idea was to play a 4-4-2 formation.

His first choice midfield was going to be  Hoolahan, Tudur-Jones, Gill, Whaley. In reserve he had Lappin, Hughes, Smith, Adeyemi and Luke Daley. In Hughes and Daley he already had people who could ''do a job'' on that right hand side. They are not natural wide right players but neither was McVeigh he was far more comfortable on the left cutting in as he never had blistering pace to beat the full back or he prefered playing up front.

Don''t get me wrong I liked McVeigh as a player in his first spell and I am sure he has something to offer a league 2 side but I just dont see what the point of signing him was given the wealth of options Gunn had already. I know people will come back now and say Whaley was useless but we didnt know that at the time. A lot of people on this board thought he would be an excellent signing.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

Morty what is the point in signing a player who can do a job for us when we already had a couple players who fit that description?

If you are looking at our squadWHEN he was signed remember WHEN is the important factor here. Gunn''s idea was to play a 4-4-2 formation.

His first choice midfield was going to be  Hoolahan, Tudur-Jones, Gill, Whaley. In reserve he had Lappin, Hughes, Smith, Adeyemi and Luke Daley. In Hughes and Daley he already had people who could ''do a job'' on that right hand side. They are not natural wide right players but neither was McVeigh he was far more comfortable on the left cutting in as he never had blistering pace to beat the full back or he prefered playing up front.

Don''t get me wrong I liked McVeigh as a player in his first spell and I am sure he has something to offer a league 2 side but I just dont see what the point of signing him was given the wealth of options Gunn had already. I know people will come back now and say Whaley was useless but we didnt know that at the time. A lot of people on this board thought he would be an excellent signing.

[/quote]Gunn was an idiot where managerial matters are concerned, that has been proven. At the time the signing was questionable. I am saying it how I see it,  I watched him play against an alright Ipswich reserves team and he had a good game in my opinion. He was never blessed with blistering pace but has a good footballing brain and can produce a good dead ball.And based on what I saw I think of him as a squad player who could still do a job at this level if required, a fact backed up that Lambert included him on the bench in front of other players.I am in no way even thinking he will be here next season.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]Well thats not entirely true. Hoolahan was one of the ones rumoured to be on his way out over the summer and Gunn was rumoured to be fighting tooth and nail to keep him. Also I don''t think Hughes was signed as a reserve - he came too highly rated for that. Daley is a striker and not a right winger.So reality is at the begining to the season you had:GK: Rudd, Steer and then he signed that chap from Tottenham on loan.RB: Semi and SpillaneCB: Doherty (if he stayed), Nelson Askou, Spillane if neededLB: Drury, Wiggins, Lappin if neededLM: Hoolahan (if he stayed), Lappin, McVeighCM: Hughes, Gill, OTJ, Smith, Adeyemi, Russell (if he stayed).RM: Whaley, McVeigh, Daley if neededSTR: Holt, Martin, MacDonald, Cureton, Daley, McVeigh if needed.Take out the players that could have gone and I think you will see what was happening. Gunn wanted to put a squad together because over the last few years we were down to the bone in terms of squad depth. Infact what we really had was a handful of first teamers supplimented by other teams reserve team players.Gunn literally had to sign numbers and we had very little money to do it with. They money nearly always is spent on goalscorers as they demand a higher fee. But all in all I don''t think you can really slate the guy for what he had to work with and what he brought in. I just don''t think he is a manager that can get the team playing as a unit together.The fact that three players that were on the brink of leaving didn''t meant that we were left overpopulated in some areas. On top of that add in the way Smith and even Adeyemi have started to flourish to the extent that more experienced players are now bellow them in the pecking order.

You need a squad in the 3rd Division what with 46 League games and 3 cup competitions!

Yes Mcveigh is past his best but he has been alright as a squad player and I doubt hes on that much considering he was released by Luton last season!

I''d imagine he''ll be released at the end of the season!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Wishiwasthere... do you know what overrated is? because Mcveigh certainly isn''t......[/quote]

Having watched him in the reserves recently then I think he could still have a part to play at this level.

Lambert obviously agrees or he wouldn''t be in the squad.
[/quote]

Unless he''s hoping that somebody will take him on loan - so a bit of advertising (i.e., have McVeigh on the bench) might help encourage a loan to happen.

McVeigh - overrated and shouldn''t have been given a contract by Gunn.

[/quote]

Seen him play this season?

What do you base your opinion on?

He was always only going to be a squad player at best.
[/quote]

I have seen him play.

He struggled to get in the Luton matchday squad.

His previous time with us

[/quote]

Seen him play when?

Lambert obviously doesn''t share your opinion.
[/quote]

1. Seen him play this season and in the past - a one season wonder

2. Re. Lambert''s opinion - a) well its taken a long time for McV. to get back on the bench

and b) Lets see if Lambert gives him another contract?

Good squad player still I feel. Doubt he''ll get a new contract unless somehow we don''t get promoted.

I feel he''s been a very unlucky to have played a lot of this season on the right wing - which in my opinion is his fourth best position. After the on the left, up front, in the hole. This has done him no favours at all.

How many players who are regularly on the bench would shine in the fourth best position? Cody Mac in centre midfield? Nelson up front?

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Larry David"]

[/quote]McVeigh was fantastic what are you on[:|]

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]I''d second that anyone who did''nt rate him in his first spell is bonkers. Read what Iwan Roberts says about him in his book.[/quote]

Ah, Iwan my hero, booed by the Barclay, so, using your arguement.................[:|]