Sign in to follow this  
Bexley

Shame about Zak being out injured

I personally feel that Doc & Nelson  have done a fantastic job over the last few months, but it would have been nice for Lambert to have had the opportunity to rest one of them / try something different if he felt the need. 

[quote user="Big Bad John "]REALLY hoping this isn''t a sign of things to come....[/quote]Interesting point. Wouldn''t be the first time we had been sold a dud.

[quote user="Butterbean_Canary"]To be fair to him though, that is the first time he has been out injured, before that he had not missed hardly any games[/quote]

It`s always a gamble buying a player after a serious injury, if  it pays off I  recon he could  quickly become a bit of a hero, good luck to  him and  hope  he  keeps  fit.

[quote user="Puzzy magnet "]He''s a croc. Waste of time.[/quote]An actual crocodile?Blimey, we should have seen that coming.

Speaking to Millwall fans last week they said he''s the best centre back they''ve had in years and he certainly looked the part when he came on, very cool and assured despite the extremely hostile atmosphere. From what Lambert said in the interview you can interpret that he''s picked up a minor injury because he hasn''t played in a bit, let''s not get our knickers in a twist over something so minor, he''ll be back in a couple of weeks and no doubt will be a very important part of our run in to the end of the season.

If he is still suffering to get his fitness levels back after being here nearly two months then surely we should of bagged Seaborne too?

We are struggling at the back and this threatens to undermine a tremendous effort in getting us to the position we are currently in.  Sort out the centre of our defence and we are as good as promoted!

[quote user="Smudger"]

If he is still suffering to get his fitness levels back after being here nearly two months then surely we should of bagged Seaborne too?

We are struggling at the back and this threatens to undermine a tremendous effort in getting us to the position we are currently in.  Sort out the centre of our defence and we are as good as promoted!

[/quote]

Askou and Spillane should be fit for the bench this weekend. If not, definitely the week after. We will be fine [:)]

Conceded 5 goals in 10 games, not too bad, but agree that we could have got another centre back if we had some concerns with Zak, Spillane and Jens are still a week or so. I have no worries with Doc, well not to many, Nelson doesn''t feed me with lots of confidence thou.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Askou and Spillane should be fit for the bench this weekend. If not, definitely the week after. We will be fine [:)]

[/quote]

Tell us that we will be fine if we should miss out on automatic promotion by one point in May for the sake of a few thousand pounds.  Seaborne would of made an excellent value for money addition to the squad on the evidence I have seen.  He was fit and could of stepped straight in to our defence which has looked rather shaky in recent weeks.

With regards to Askou and Spillane.  Would this be the same Askou and Spillane that the majority on here feel would not be first team choices given a fully fit squad???

Neither Askou or Spillane looked that close to full fitness to me when I watched them in the reserves this week.

[quote user="morty"]Neither Askou or Spillane looked that close to full fitness to me when I watched them in the reserves this week.

[/quote]

Maybe we should hit the loan market?

I guess the board are keeping their fingers crossed that we have just enough to clinch automatic promotion?  Instead of spending that extra little bit of money to ensure that it would happen and start to develop a squad for next season?

I''d have them both in the squad at least, Sumdger. Askou would be my first choice centre half (see earlier post) and Spillane would give Martin a bloody good run for right full back.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="morty"]Neither Askou or Spillane looked that close to full fitness to me when I watched them in the reserves this week.

[/quote]

I guess the board are keeping their fingers crossed that we have just enough to clinch automatic promotion?  Instead of spending that extra little bit of money to ensure that it would happen and start to develop a squad for next season?

[/quote]I don''t think they are far away, no need to hit the panic button. Askou looks the closer of the two, I just thought neither looked particularly sharp

[quote user="Captain Holt"]I''d have them both in the squad at least, Sumdger. Askou would be my first choice centre half (see earlier post) and Spillane would give Martin a bloody good run for right full back.[/quote]

Got to love football...

Askou would be my 3rd or 4th choice at centreback.

And Spillane...definitely on the bench (at best).

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think we''re ok at the moment. No need to spend more than we need to if the manager has got something in mind for the summer.

I''d be more worried about losing Holt or Martin to a long term injury than any of the lads at the back. Who have we got to replace the goals that those 2 have been scoring? You''d be pinning your hopes on Cody and/or OJ at the moment.

[quote user="Smudger"]If he is still suffering to get his fitness levels back after being here nearly two months then surely we should of bagged Seaborne too?

[/quote]I don''t know why Bowkett, McNally and Lambert didn''t think of that! [^o)]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tell us that we will be fine if we should miss out on automatic promotion by one point in May for the sake of a few thousand pounds.  Seaborne would of made an excellent value for money addition to the squad on the evidence I have seen.  He was fit and could of stepped straight in to our defence which has looked rather shaky in recent weeks.

With regards to Askou and Spillane.  Would this be the same Askou and Spillane that the majority on here feel would not be first team choices given a fully fit squad???

[/quote]

If we''d have bought Seaborne and Whitbread that would have left us with 5 centre halves + Spillane who can fill in there. Too many for a league 1 club.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If we''d have bought Seaborne and Whitbread that would have left us with 5 centre halves + Spillane who can fill in there. Too many for a league 1 club.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not the personal in defence you serial tools, it''s the extra work load it''s had heaped on it since the diamond''s been sussed.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tell us that we will be fine if we should miss out on automatic promotion by one point in May for the sake of a few thousand pounds.  Seaborne would of made an excellent value for money addition to the squad on the ''evidence'' I have ''seen''.  He was fit and could of stepped straight in to our defence which has looked rather shaky in recent weeks.

[/quote]How much ''evidence'' would that be then Smudge? 2 Games? 1?... And how much money would that of been exactly?Truth is, is if our defence has been ''leaky'', Southamptons has been non much too different to be honest, with both of us having conceded 5 goals in our last 8 games.From the evidence i''ve seen, and from reports i''ve heard, Seabourne would of added very little quality to what we already have in the side, and i have a niggling feeling that i''m far from being alone in taking such a view. To me it would of given nothng other than an impression of an excessive use of both very limited, and very valuable resources.And as for Askou and Spillane, i suggest you revise what you''ve said Smudge. I think you''ll find a fair few on this board (like me) would happily have a fully physically and match fit Spillane ahead of Russell Martin, and as for Askou, you certainly wouldn''t have to look hard for a City fan that would prefer a fit Askou ahead of a fit Nelson in the side..... Bloody hell Smudge, how do you find yourself, time and time again, saying things that are just fundamentally wrong so often?

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote][url=http://www.mysmiley.net/free-rolleye-smileys.php][img]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0017.gif[/img][/url]How on earth can you say that? In terms of both quality and quantity we brought in more than any other side in this league in the transfer market (arguably other than Southampton, a club in a far more financially capable position than we are at the moment).Nevertheless, critically though, that is far far more money than either of our competitors for the automatics in Leeds and Charlton spent, despite being far less financially capable than at least one of the two, having a squad that could very well be more competitive than either of theirs anyway, and topping the table for much of the time in the market as it is.We brought in 3 defenders in the window though, two on permanant deals, have had a number of injuries to key defensive players like Drury, Askou, and Spillane, and we conceded a grand total of 3 goals in 6 games in the last month. So please forgive me if i don''t throw a hissy fit on this occasion.... (... Thank the lord you don''t dictate where Delia''s and the rest of the boards funds go, otherwise you''d of undoubtedly had us in the Non-Leagues by now)[url=http://www.squidoo.com/scuba-diving-guide][img]http://www.gashing.com/smile/mad/mad0025.gif[/img][/url]

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think we''re ok at the moment. No need to spend more than we need to if the manager has got something in mind for the summer.

I''d be more worried about losing Holt or Martin to a long term injury than any of the lads at the back. Who have we got to replace the goals that those 2 have been scoring? You''d be pinning your hopes on Cody and/or OJ at the moment.

[/quote]

Only a few weeks ago many on here would of had you believe that Oli and Cody had what it takes to step in to Holty and Martin''s shoes on a long term basis without it effecting our form.  While they are undoubtedly good young talents they are both very young, inexpreinced and raw with much to learn when it comes to handling pressure and playing for 90 mins week in week out.

Still wish we had of put more in to signing Lee Barnard if Lambert was really interested in adding a striker to the ranks who could step in if required for a long run in the team.

[quote user="Shyster"]It''s not the personal in defence you serial tools, it''s the extra work load it''s had heaped on it since the diamond''s been sussed.
[/quote]

Personnel you mean? 

I think it is a mixture of both to be honest.  Exeter were the first ones to really rumble the diamond system by only playing 3 centre backs themselves and flooding the midfield.  Hlowever, I think if you take Darel Russell out of the position he has employed since Gillingham away, where he is sat in front of our two centre halves giving them much protection then most of the centre halves that we have at the club will prove that they are not good enough against the better teams in this league.

Askou and Whitbread if fully fit maybe?  But are we likely to ever see that particular pairing start a game for us this season???