Sign in to follow this  
Bexley

Shame about Zak being out injured

[quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Smudger"]

If he is still suffering to get his fitness levels back after being here nearly two months then surely we should of bagged Seaborne too?

We are struggling at the back and this threatens to undermine a tremendous effort in getting us to the position we are currently in.  Sort out the centre of our defence and we are as good as promoted!

[/quote]

Askou and Spillane should be fit for the bench this weekend. If not, definitely the week after. We will be fine [:)]

[/quote]

Tell us that we will be fine if we should miss out on automatic promotion by one point in May for the sake of a few thousand pounds.  Seaborne would of made an excellent value for money addition to the squad on the ''evidence'' I have ''seen''.  He was fit and could of stepped straight in to our defence which has looked rather shaky in recent weeks.

With regards to Askou and Spillane.  Would this be the same Askou and Spillane that the majority on here feel would not be first team choices given a fully fit squad???

[/quote]

How much ''evidence'' would that be then Smudge? 2 Games? 1?... And how much money would that of been exactly?

Truth is, is if our defence has been ''leaky'', Southamptons has been non much too different to be honest, with both of us having conceded 5 goals in our last 8 games.

From the evidence i''ve seen, and from reports i''ve heard, Seabourne would of added very little quality to what we already have in the side, and i have a niggling feeling that i''m far from being alone in taking such a view. To me it would of given nothng other than an impression of an excessive use of both very limited, and very valuable resources.

And as for Askou and Spillane, i suggest you revise what you''ve said Smudge. I think you''ll find a fair few on this board (like me) would happily have a fully physically and match fit Spillane ahead of Russell Martin, and as for Askou, you certainly wouldn''t have to look hard for a City fan that would prefer a fit Askou ahead of a fit Nelson in the side.

.... Bloody hell Smudge, how do you find yourself, time and time again, saying things that are just fundamentally wrong so often?
[/quote]

Well he sure as hell held a pub team together in a 3 moan defence for long periods of the game when Exeter visited us.  I am damn sure that both Nelson and the Doc would not have been able to do the same if placed in the Exeter side facing Martin, Holt and Hoolahan.

[quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="morty"]Neither Askou or Spillane looked that close to full fitness to me when I watched them in the reserves this week.

[/quote]

Maybe we should hit the loan market?

I guess the board are keeping their fingers crossed that we have just enough to clinch automatic promotion?  Instead of spending that extra little bit of money to ensure that it would happen and start to develop a squad for next season?

[/quote]

[url=http://www.mysmiley.net/free-rolleye-smileys.php][img]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0017.gif[/img][/url]

How on earth can you say that? In terms of both quality and quantity we brought in more than any other side in this league in the transfer market (arguably other than Southampton, a club in a far more financially capable position than we are at the moment).

Nevertheless, critically though, that is far far more money than either of our competitors for the automatics in Leeds and Charlton spent, despite being far less financially capable than at least one of the two, having a squad that could very well be more competitive than either of theirs anyway, and topping the table for much of the time in the market as it is.

We brought in 3 defenders in the window though, two on permanant deals, have had a number of injuries to key defensive players like Drury, Askou, and Spillane, and we conceded a grand total of 3 goals in 6 games in the last month. So please forgive me if i don''t throw a hissy fit on this occasion....

(... Thank the lord you don''t dictate where Delia''s and the rest of the boards funds go, otherwise you''d of undoubtedly had us in the Non-Leagues by now)

[url=http://www.squidoo.com/scuba-diving-guide][img]http://www.gashing.com/smile/mad/mad0025.gif[/img][/url]
[/quote]

How much did we spend exactly?  Let us not forget that the season ticket holders who let the club keep the rebates they had been promised paid for Holt.

As for if I dictated where the funds went.  We would of signed many players over the years who made us a profit as opposed to what we have actually done in recent years.

Don''t tell me that both Seaborne and Barnard would not of been worth seriously more than what we would of paid for them with or without promotion.  Give either of them a few games in a reasonably successful Championship team and what kind of profit would these two players of been making for our club when sold on?

It seems though that yet again we chose the prudence with ambition approach???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Smudger"]

If he is still suffering to get his fitness levels back after being here nearly two months then surely we should of bagged Seaborne too?

We are struggling at the back and this threatens to undermine a tremendous effort in getting us to the position we are currently in.  Sort out the centre of our defence and we are as good as promoted!

[/quote]

Askou and Spillane should be fit for the bench this weekend. If not, definitely the week after. We will be fine [:)]

[/quote]

Tell us that we will be fine if we should miss out on automatic promotion by one point in May for the sake of a few thousand pounds.  Seaborne would of made an excellent value for money addition to the squad on the ''evidence'' I have ''seen''.  He was fit and could of stepped straight in to our defence which has looked rather shaky in recent weeks.

With regards to Askou and Spillane.  Would this be the same Askou and Spillane that the majority on here feel would not be first team choices given a fully fit squad???

[/quote]

How much ''evidence'' would that be then Smudge? 2 Games? 1?... And how much money would that of been exactly?

Truth is, is if our defence has been ''leaky'', Southamptons has been non much too different to be honest, with both of us having conceded 5 goals in our last 8 games.

From the evidence i''ve seen, and from reports i''ve heard, Seabourne would of added very little quality to what we already have in the side, and i have a niggling feeling that i''m far from being alone in taking such a view. To me it would of given nothng other than an impression of an excessive use of both very limited, and very valuable resources.

And as for Askou and Spillane, i suggest you revise what you''ve said Smudge. I think you''ll find a fair few on this board (like me) would happily have a fully physically and match fit Spillane ahead of Russell Martin, and as for Askou, you certainly wouldn''t have to look hard for a City fan that would prefer a fit Askou ahead of a fit Nelson in the side.

.... Bloody hell Smudge, how do you find yourself, time and time again, saying things that are just fundamentally wrong so often?
[/quote]

Well he sure as hell held a pub team together in a 3 moan defence for long periods of the game when Exeter visited us.  I am damn sure that both Nelson and the Doc would not have been able to do the same if placed in the Exeter side facing Martin, Holt and Hoolahan.

[/quote]

3 man defence even... [:$]

[quote user="Smudger"]Only a few weeks ago many on here would of had you believe that Oli and Cody had what it takes to step in to Holty and Martin''s shoes on a long term basis without it effecting our form.Still wish we had of put more in to signing Lee Barnard if Lambert was really interested in adding a striker to the ranks who could step in if required for a long run in the team.[/quote]I don''t know who the "many" are, but - leaving that aside - the problem with signing Lee Barnard (assuming we ever wanted to) was very simple. He would have been an idiot to want to come here. At Southampton he has gone straight into the starting line-up, alongside Lambert, and probably reckoned that would happen.Here he would have assumed he would be on the bench, watching Holt and Martin having fun out on the field. Hard to sell that to a presumably ambitious player at a crucial stage of his career.As it happens, as we now know, Holt got suspended, but that was unforeseen. And even with that opportunity it doesn''t on the face of it look like Barnard is a natural replacement for Holt anyway. He is listed at 5 foot 10 and under 11 stone. That is less even than Martin (same height but a stone heavier) while Holt is 6 foot and 12 and a half stone.A much more likely proposition would be a loan move for a genuine target man at a stage of his career where he is happy to spend most of the time on the bench.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Smudger"]

Only a few weeks ago many on here would of had you believe that Oli and Cody had what it takes to step in to Holty and Martin''s shoes on a long term basis without it effecting our form.

Still wish we had of put more in to signing Lee Barnard if Lambert was really interested in adding a striker to the ranks who could step in if required for a long run in the team.[/quote]

I don''t know who the "many" are, but - leaving that aside - the problem with signing Lee Barnard (assuming we ever wanted to) was very simple. He would have been an idiot to want to come here. At Southampton he has gone straight into the starting line-up, alongside Lambert, and probably reckoned that would happen.

Here he would have assumed he would be on the bench, watching Holt and Martin having fun out on the field. Hard to sell that to a presumably ambitious player at a crucial stage of his career.

As it happens, as we now know, Holt got suspended, but that was unforeseen. And even with that opportunity it doesn''t on the face of it look like Barnard is a natural replacement for Holt anyway. He is listed at 5 foot 10 and under 11 stone. That is less even than Martin (same height but a stone heavier) while Holt is 6 foot and 12 and a half stone.

A much more likely proposition would be a loan move for a genuine target man at a stage of his career where he is happy to spend most of the time on the bench.
[/quote]

Where as after half an hour of the Brentford game he would of gone straight in to the starting line up for a team that sits top of the table.  Barnard is useful in the air and can hold the ball up because of the additional weight that you refer to.

As for the genuine target man happy to sit on the bench that you refer to, well we are still waiting!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Smudger"]Only a few weeks ago many on here would of had you believe that Oli and Cody had what it takes to step in to Holty and Martin''s shoes on a long term basis without it effecting our form.Still wish we had of put more in to signing Lee Barnard if Lambert was really interested in adding a striker to the ranks who could step in if required for a long run in the team.[/quote]I don''t know who the "many" are, but - leaving that aside - the problem with signing Lee Barnard (assuming we ever wanted to) was very simple. He would have been an idiot to want to come here. At Southampton he has gone straight into the starting line-up, alongside Lambert, and probably reckoned that would happen.Here he would have assumed he would be on the bench, watching Holt and Martin having fun out on the field. Hard to sell that to a presumably ambitious player at a crucial stage of his career.As it happens, as we now know, Holt got suspended, but that was unforeseen. And even with that opportunity it doesn''t on the face of it look like Barnard is a natural replacement for Holt anyway. He is listed at 5 foot 10 and under 11 stone. That is less even than Martin (same height but a stone heavier) while Holt is 6 foot and 12 and a half stone.A much more likely proposition would be a loan move for a genuine target man at a stage of his career where he is happy to spend most of the time on the bench.[/quote]

Where as after half an hour of the Brentford game he would of gone straight in to the starting line up for a team that sits top of the table.  Barnard is useful in the air and can hold the ball up because of the additional weight that you refer to.

As for the genuine target man happy to sit on the bench that you refer to, well we are still waiting!

[/quote]Er, no, I''m saying he is the lightest of the three, not that he has "additional weight". But you are still missing or avoiding the main point. I don''t know whether we tried to sign him but unless he is very stupid he would have realised he would have been wanted primarily as back-up, and so a starting berth at Southampton would have almost certainly been the more attractive proposition.What we do apparently agree on is the need for some kind of cover for Holt but the problem, as explained before, is attracting someone who is content to be back-up. Which may well explain why we are still waiting.

[quote user="Shyster"]It''s not the personal in defence you serial tools, it''s the extra work load it''s had heaped on it since the diamond''s been sussed.
[/quote]

Oh Shyster Shyster Shyster, please, no no no no, you need to be a little more patient before you start claiming you''ve been proved right. I understand your frustrations having to wait so long for goals against and a defeat, but you''re a little premature. At least you haven''t uttered it abruptly!

Please could you all please cut Smudger a little slack. Surely you can all allow him a bit of annoyance and frustrations. He has spent every available moment, written the equivalent of the Encyclopedia Brittannica (complete set), fought some arduous message board battles on numerous and varied threads convincing the population of Norfolk (especially Mr Lambert) that Whitbread should be starting tomorrow (he has waited  what seems like an absolute age for a defeat to maximise the possibility). Then the bloody bloke goes and gets an injury. Of course he''s gonna be a little peeved, wouldn''t you?

[quote user="The gut"]Please could you all please cut Smudger a little slack. Surely you can all allow him a bit of annoyance and frustrations. He has spent every available moment, written the equivalent of the Encyclopedia Brittannica (complete set), fought some arduous message board battles on numerous and varied threads convincing the population of Norfolk (especially Mr Lambert) that Whitbread should be starting tomorrow (he has waited  what seems like an absolute age for a defeat to maximise the possibility). Then the bloody bloke goes and gets an injury. Of course he''s gonna be a little peeved, wouldn''t you?[/quote]

lol... [;)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="The gut"]Please could you all please cut Smudger a little slack. Surely you can all allow him a bit of annoyance and frustrations. He has spent every available moment, written the equivalent of the Encyclopedia Brittannica (complete set), fought some arduous message board battles on numerous and varied threads convincing the population of Norfolk (especially Mr Lambert) that Whitbread should be starting tomorrow (he has waited  what seems like an absolute age for a defeat to maximise the possibility). Then the bloody bloke goes and gets an injury. Of course he''s gonna be a little peeved, wouldn''t you?[/quote]

lol... [;)]

[/quote]

I feel for ya Smudger (count me out of your rendevouz with Brendan & Barclay Hero tho)[;)]

[quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="Shyster"]It''s not the personal in defence you serial tools, it''s the extra work load it''s had heaped on it since the diamond''s been sussed.[/quote]

Oh Shyster Shyster Shyster, please, no no no no, you need to be a little more patient before you start claiming you''ve been proved right. I understand your frustrations having to wait so long for goals against and a defeat, but you''re a little premature. At least you haven''t uttered it abruptly!

[/quote]

There seems to be an echo wherever you''re posting from - move some furniture in. [:P]

I don''t have to claim I''m right about the diamond being sussed because that''s already established.We didn''t equalise today because of the diamond.We didn''t win today because of the diamond.We both equalised and won today because an out & out winger in the form of McNamee was introduced into proceedings, hence rendering the diamond superfluous. Lambert is riding his luck in leaving R. Martin exposed on the right with late on changes and I seriously hope he acquires the services of a pacy right-winger before we risk losing points against better clubs than today''s hapless opponents.Plan B is currently a hotch-potch that WILL lose vital points.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="Shyster"]It''s not the personal in defence you serial tools, it''s the extra work load it''s had heaped on it since the diamond''s been sussed.
[/quote]

[/quote]

There seems to be an echo wherever you''re posting from - move some furniture in. [:P]

I don''t have to claim I''m right about the diamond being sussed because that''s already established.

We didn''t equalise today because of the diamond.

We didn''t win today because of the diamond.

We both equalised and won today because an out & out winger in the form of McNamee was introduced into proceedings, hence rendering the diamond superfluous.

Lambert is riding his luck in leaving R. Martin exposed on the right with late on changes and I seriously hope he acquires the services of a pacy right-winger before we risk losing points against better clubs than today''s hapless opponents.

Plan B is currently a hotch-potch that WILL lose vital points.
[/quote]

I agree with this Shyster... ditto Walsall away!

Would like to see Spillane back to full fitness challenging Russel Martin for a place in the first team and Korey Smith left on the pitch while Lappin is withdrawn.  Would love to see another winger added to the squad but of course the Norwich way is be happy with what you have got until you lose two or three on the bounce (even in this extremely poor league the majority are willing to push their luck so it seems).

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="Shyster"]It''s not the personal in defence you serial tools, it''s the extra work load it''s had heaped on it since the diamond''s been sussed.[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t have to claim I''m right about the diamond being sussed because that''s already established.We didn''t equalise today because of the diamond.We didn''t win today because of the diamond.We both equalised and won today because an out & out winger in the form of McNamee was introduced into proceedings, hence rendering the diamond superfluous. Lambert is riding his luck in leaving R. Martin exposed on the right with late on changes and I seriously hope he acquires the services of a pacy right-winger before we risk losing points against better clubs than today''s hapless opponents.Plan B is currently a hotch-potch that WILL lose vital points.[/quote]

I agree with this Shyster... ditto Walsall away!

Would like to see Spillane back to full fitness challenging Russel Martin for a place in the first team and Korey Smith left on the pitch while Lappin is withdrawn.  Would love to see another winger added to the squad but of course the Norwich way is be happy with what you have got until you lose two or three on the bounce (even in this extremely poor league the majority are willing to push their luck so it seems).

[/quote]

Well, Smudge, we''ve witnessed how an injection of pace wide can both counter and destroy these unsuspecting third tier opponents - my argument all season was to balance the flanks with the former attributes, and I''m amazed that a quality manager like Lambert hasn''t addressed the issue.He''s put Daley on the back-burner, for obvious reasons, and sticks young Dawkins on the bench who, also for obvious reasons, he has little confidence in. The experience of Whaley was rightly dispatched, he yearned to ply his trade up North, so good riddance, but surely this off loading was enough to say to oneself "Hey! I''ve got nothing in my squad in the form of pace on the right-hand side of the playing field."

Allow me to turn up the volume a tad here: HEY! I''VE GOT NOTHING IN MY SQUAD IN THE FORM OF PACE ON THE RIGHT-HAND SIDE OF THE PLAYING FIELD!"

Suffice it to say: The acquisition of a pacy wide right man WILL see us home and dry.

To go back to the original point...Zak getting injured when he has i.e just as Askou & Spillane are fit again is another sign for me that things are just falling our way for once. Similarly, Cody picks up an injury just as Holt is available again!

As for the diamond situation, then I assume you are all saying we should drop Hoolahan? In my view, you can only play Wes at the tip of the diamond or up front. You certainly can''t play him wide in a 4-4-2 system.