Sign in to follow this  
Kathy

The pub from hell

The Golden Thingummyjig just outside the ground last night. Very little staff for one of the biggest away contingents of the season, no beer, then a small amount of Fosters on one pump, no lemonade, no change, miserable disinterested manager.

[quote user="Kathy"]The Golden Thingummyjig just outside the ground last night. Very little staff for one of the biggest away contingents of the season, no beer, then a small amount of Fosters on one pump, no lemonade, no change, miserable disinterested manager.[/quote]

Just as well the game took away a little of the pain then Kathy.....( lol )

I do sometimes wonder if things really are as bad as the pub trade makes out. Here was a golden ( pun not intended ) chance for the pub to really coin it in on what would normally be a pretty quiet night. They must have known - ? musn''t they ? - that Norwich would be bringing a bumper following and if they hadn''t guessed that then a quick call to Carrow Rd would have provided confirmation.

The whole scenario you''ve described makes for an unpleasant, potentially hostile atmosphere and it''s just so simple to rectify.

This is by no means the first time that this has happened at Norwich away games so you''d have thought the publicans would have cottoned on by now.

We went to the Railway, which was by Prittlewell station as we had caught the train from London. It was the only pub not mentioned on any bulletin board as far as I know. It was well staffed, and we were served very quickly with a glass glass (not plastic)

I''ve been to both the Golden Lion and the Spread Eagle (?) before and they''re both awful places.

There was even a burger bar outside, only £2 each.

My favorite ever is the pub on the North East corner of Brentford. Did anyone else appreciate the beautifully crafted canary badge poured into the top of their Guinness on the last visit? I know I did! Evening went rapidly down hill from there though...

[quote user="Kathy"]The Golden Thingummyjig just outside the ground last night. Very little staff for one of the biggest away contingents of the season, no beer, then a small amount of Fosters on one pump, no lemonade, no change, miserable disinterested manager.[/quote]

What was a nice girl like you doing in a place like that?[:D]

[quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Mr Tilson, you''re wanted on set..........[;)]

[quote user="Romantic"]My favorite ever is the pub on the North East corner of Brentford. Did anyone else appreciate the beautifully crafted canary badge poured into the top of their Guinness on the last visit? I know I did! Evening went rapidly down hill from there though...[/quote]Yeah Brentford is probably the best away venue I have been to in this league just because they have 4 great pubs, one on every corner of the ground.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="Romantic"]My favorite ever is the pub on the North East corner of Brentford. Did anyone else appreciate the beautifully crafted canary badge poured into the top of their Guinness on the last visit? I know I did! Evening went rapidly down hill from there though...[/quote]Yeah Brentford is probably the best away venue I have been to in this league just because they have 4 great pubs, one on every corner of the ground.[/quote]Not to mention its apparent proximity to your gaff eh WC?

at least you made the pub, we were stuck on the A12 for ever and only just made ko!

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="Romantic"]My favorite ever is the pub on the North East corner of Brentford. Did anyone else appreciate the beautifully crafted canary badge poured into the top of their Guinness on the last visit? I know I did! Evening went rapidly down hill from there though...[/quote]Yeah Brentford is probably the best away venue I have been to in this league just because they have 4 great pubs, one on every corner of the ground.[/quote]Not to mention its apparent proximity to your gaff eh WC?[/quote]Well that is always a nice bonus I suppose [;)]

You should have made an effort to get there earlier. When we arrived there was a choice of Fosters or Carling. Mind you the Carling tasted crap and was all gone by the time we got to our second round. Apparently the red wine was ok but they only had 5 small bottles of that.

[quote user="jbghost"]You should have made an effort to get there earlier. When we arrived there was a choice of Fosters or Carling. Mind you the Carling tasted crap and was all gone by the time we got to our second round. Apparently the red wine was ok but they only had 5 small bottles of that.[/quote]Not likely to be a welcome comment given the apocalypse on the A12! Gillingham couldn''t even start with 11 players due to the bizarre combination of traffic disasters in the vacinity. I left East London at 4.30 and missed the 1st 15 minutes of the game!!!! Unbelievable!

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="jbghost"]You should have made an effort to get there earlier. When we arrived there was a choice of Fosters or Carling. Mind you the Carling tasted crap and was all gone by the time we got to our second round. Apparently the red wine was ok but they only had 5 small bottles of that.[/quote]

Not likely to be a welcome comment given the apocalypse on the A12! Gillingham couldn''t even start with 11 players due to the bizarre combination of traffic disasters in the vacinity. I left East London at 4.30 and missed the 1st 15 minutes of the game!!!! Unbelievable!
[/quote]

Blimey, you could have got to Carrow Rd quicker than that!

[quote user="a1canary"]

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="jbghost"]You should have made an effort to get there earlier. When we arrived there was a choice of Fosters or Carling. Mind you the Carling tasted crap and was all gone by the time we got to our second round. Apparently the red wine was ok but they only had 5 small bottles of that.[/quote]Not likely to be a welcome comment given the apocalypse on the A12! Gillingham couldn''t even start with 11 players due to the bizarre combination of traffic disasters in the vacinity. I left East London at 4.30 and missed the 1st 15 minutes of the game!!!! Unbelievable![/quote]

Blimey, you could have got to Carrow Rd quicker than that!

[/quote]Have done! Easily - a good hour quicker!

we went east at dedham rejoined the a12 near colchester missed the commotion got to the ground at 6-45 luckily we had several cases of bud on board so did nt have to find a pub, sat in the southend end no crap when we clapped each city goal great night out and home by 11-30

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Mr Tilson, you''re wanted on set..........[;)]

[/quote]

Believe me gentlemen Kathy''s evening got better as after the game she desired to attend the ladies toilets at the ground.The journey home was informative as she insisted on giving a description of the decor including two inches of water on the floor and talk of "floaters".

Butler and Beau you just cannot buy class as they say.

The whole unpleasant experience would have not been necessary had she not have been drinking pints of Newcastle brown in The Golden Thingummyjig.

A true Geezerbird is our Kathy.

[quote user="Yellaforever"]2 quid.........did you eat one??
[/quote]

Yes I did, and very tasty it was too. Just what I needed after a few pints of hooligan juice and a 3-0 win.

[quote user="Ren"]at least you made the pub, we were stuck on the A12 for ever and only just made ko![/quote]Snap...except we missed kickoff by 10 minutes or so. Left the city before 4 so thought we''d have time.Still, the result made up for it!

I went to the Golden Lion - a bit like the Bell but without any classy fittings.  Warm beer (at least I got one I suppose) - wish I''d gone to the railway (I parked at Hockley and got the train 2 stops) - the so called classy chippy wasnt that good either

As for the loos - the middle cubicle in the mens was overflowing a bit at half time - hate to think what it was like at the end of the game.  Ipswich fans.... sorry...poo....all over the floor

With regards to the A12 crash, at least it wasnt as bad as further down in East London by all accounts.  The road is horrific, forever on traffic reports, but then any road that connects Lowestoft, Ipswich and Colchester is likely to be the pits anyway...