Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Forster is a good keeper.

[quote user="alanarber"]

Yes he made two great saves to keep us in the game, and i agree his kicking was very poor during the game rarely making it over the half way line. But what i cannot understand is that in the last minute of the game is why he is rushing to take the kick, just be professional use up the time and finally kick the ball WIDE where it is safer rather than down the middle.

I feel that Declan Rudd is the better keeper and really should be given a good run in the side, I am not sure about Forster and if he is 6ft 5 inches why is he not claiming crosses or at least punching them.

Lets hope he recovers from the eroor as he did not have a bad game overall 

[/quote]

I think that is the most telling point I have read on this subject.  When in the dying minutes it used to be normal practice to take as long as you could over the goal kick - the worst that can happen is a booking for timewasting.  You can put the ball down at least twice to make sure it "sits" properly....................[:P] then you can do a slow jog back......have a little look around........

Possibly just inexperience and/or tension of the game.

Are you the Alan Arber who used to play for Lowestoft Town?

He was awful. At fault for both goals. The first goal the ball was 3 yards from his goal line, all he had to do was catch it or at least punch it. The second, well we all know what happened. He is a professional footballer nd he can''t kick a ball. Yes he made some good saves but what goalkeepers aren''t good shot stoppers. Get Rudd in, he''s the future of Norwich City.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="alanarber"]

Yes he made two great saves to keep us in the game, and i agree his kicking was very poor during the game rarely making it over the half way line. But what i cannot understand is that in the last minute of the game is why he is rushing to take the kick, just be professional use up the time and finally kick the ball WIDE where it is safer rather than down the middle.

I feel that Declan Rudd is the better keeper and really should be given a good run in the side, I am not sure about Forster and if he is 6ft 5 inches why is he not claiming crosses or at least punching them.

[/quote]

I think that is the most telling point I have read on this subject.  When in the dying minutes it used to be normal practice to take as long as you could over the goal kick - the worst that can happen is a booking for timewasting.  You can put the ball down at least twice to make sure it "sits" properly....................[:P] then you can do a slow jog back......have a little look around........

[/quote]I think the simple answer is that he, & the whole team - in fact the whole of Norwich - still believed they could win!A triumph of romance over pragmatism. Is that a bad thing? Answers on a postcard ....

Who cares how good Forster was up to that blunder, so long as we have a scapegoat! What with Doherty not really putting a foot wrong we were always going to struggle to come up with someone to blame for the defeat.  How brave of Forster to step into the Doc''s shoes...I''ll make this point, though - the goal was probably my fault.  Not only did I spend the last 20 minutes of the game saying ''if it stays 1-1, we''re on for a last minute winner'', I also answered my Geordie mate''s enquiries as to how Forster was getting on by saying ''he''s not really put a foot spectacularly wrong, so far.......''So, all my fault.  Blame me.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="alanarber"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the simple answer is that he, & the whole team - in fact the whole of Norwich - still believed they could win!
A triumph of romance over pragmatism. Is that a bad thing? Answers on a postcard ....

[/quote]

Maybe.  But when you are in injury time and are level or winning the old rule used to be to take as long as you possibly could to take the goal kick.  I was alleged to be quite a master of this....I had to sit it properly, dig my heel in........and wave them upfield...both hands up meant the short ball routine as I recall.

[:)]

Yes it was a poor kick, but the defence were equally at fault for having their backs to the keeper when he took his kick. Gutted that we lost but I will not use this as an excuse to start persecuting players, unlike some so called fans on this message board.....

He''s a very promising keeper but he''ll make mistakes and he''ll learn from it. Imagine if Rudd committed a howler, would he be written off? Remember Greeno making huge blunders? I do. Just be grateful Theo is not between the sticks.

Sorry to disagree with all you sympathizers who say the boy will learn. Of course he will learn.....other things, not kicking. He made a number of poor kicks in this game and, according to commentators and posters has done the same thing in prior games played. Being able to kick the ball consistently well ( allowing for a RARE error ) is a fundamental requirement for a professional goalkeeper of a football team that wants to challenge strongly to get back into the Championship. Some say he''s only 21 years old. What''s that got to do with anything? Rudd is 18. You don''t start to learn to kick as a professional goalkeeper at 21. You learn about positional play, commanding your area, taking charge of communications in the box etc. At that age it should be mandatory that you can kick consistently or you should not be there.   

I don''t care what the professional sport is. In baseball an outfielder has to consistently catch a fly ball. If he more than rarely drops a few he will never make it to the professional ranks. In ice hockey if a 21 year old shooter hits the puck on the heel of his blade a few times every game he will never make the cut to the professional ranks. You choose the sport....I don''t care what it is. To make the professional ranks there are some things you have to funamentally possess and there are other things you will learn through experience. For a goalkeeper in football the ability to kick the ball consistently well is a fundamental requirement or you should not have made the first team in any division.

Look, I realise team mates will rally round in what they have to say about the matter in public. However, what do you think they say to their family and friends after the team putting in a performance like they did last night, particularly if they know their last line of defense has a fundamental flaw which they may have to take with them into the next game? If we are going to concede points as a result of providing a goalkeeper an opportunity to gain experience in the first team then at least provide that opportunity to Rudd. Then if we fail this season to get where we want that experience will stand us in good stead next season.  

His kicking game was very very poor on Monday. However, throughout the game he made some good saves. Yes we didn''t deserve to loose, but with some of the chances they had we could of quite easily lost anyway.

Although to be honest, he basically cancelled out his great saves with the howler!

Semi should of just 2 footed him last man, they would of got a 30 yard free kick which probably wouldn''t of troubled Forster.

Oh well.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]So, all my fault.  Blame me.[/quote]

I was blaming you anyway, its good to have a reason.

I feel like wizard when the doc actually makes a mistake now, and it feels rather good.

Yes Forster is still a good keeper, but I expect he will be dropped for the next game. I also would guess that he will expect it as well.

Its nice to have two similar level keepers fighting for the shirt for precisely this reason.

[quote]Sorry to disagree with all you sympathizers who say the boy will learn.

Of course he will learn.....other things, not kicking. He made a number

of poor kicks in this game and, according to commentators and posters

has done the same thing in prior games played. Being able to kick the

ball consistently well ( allowing for a RARE error ) is a fundamental

requirement for a professional goalkeeper of a football team that wants

to challenge strongly to get back into the Championship. Some say he''s

only 21 years old. What''s that got to do with anything? Rudd is 18. You

don''t start to learn to kick as a professional goalkeeper at 21. You

learn about positional play, commanding your area, taking charge of

communications in the box etc. At that age it should be mandatory that

you can kick consistently or you should not be there. [/quote]Good post Yankee, although I would suggest that the games previous to Leeds, where we went 450 minutes without conceding in open play, suggest that his kicking is not much of a problem - it doesn''t usually impact on goals conceded, or for that matter the result. 

[quote user="blahblahblah"]He just made a poor kick is all.  A couple of the saves he made in the last 20 minutes kept us in the game.  Leeds were lucky, but they finished strongly.  Let''s hope Forster forgets this aberration and gets back to usual service at the weekend.[/quote]

he made some good saves but his kicking was very poor! Another marshall me thinks!

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Sorry to disagree with all you sympathizers who say the boy will learn. Of course he will learn.....other things, not kicking. He made a number of poor kicks in this game and, according to commentators and posters has done the same thing in prior games played. Being able to kick the ball consistently well ( allowing for a RARE error ) is a fundamental requirement for a professional goalkeeper of a football team that wants to challenge strongly to get back into the Championship. Some say he''s only 21 years old. What''s that got to do with anything? Rudd is 18. You don''t start to learn to kick as a professional goalkeeper at 21. You learn about positional play, commanding your area, taking charge of communications in the box etc. At that age it should be mandatory that you can kick consistently or you should not be there. [/quote]

Good post Yankee, although I would suggest that the games previous to Leeds, where we went 450 minutes without conceding in open play, suggest that his kicking is not much of a problem - it doesn''t usually impact on goals conceded, or for that matter the result. 
[/quote]

Blah, I believe Rudd played a lot of that time.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]good point - 2 of the 5 games, was it ?  Either way, 1 aberration isn''t enough to drop a keeper who is keeping clean sheets.
[/quote]

Actually, just for the record, in those five games Rudd played 52% of the time and Forster 48%.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]good point - 2 of the 5 games, was it ?  Either way, 1 aberration isn''t enough to drop a keeper who is keeping clean sheets.
[/quote]

It is if the other keeper has had 0 abberations and can kick the ball upfield better.

Yep, but the local vicar had an opinion on this.

My good Father pointed out that Green made his mistakes as a Norwich City footballer. Why should another clubs promising young goalkeeper make his mistakes in our team, as Forster did, when we have promising young goalkeepers twiddling their thumbs.

Ultimately we are paying for his education and when he learns, what he has learned will benefit Newcastle and not us.