Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

Adie Boothroyd or Paul Lambert ?

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

Your adulation of Lambert is only equalled by your dogmatic and unthinking dislike of Gunn. Frankly, it''s pathetic.

[/quote]

Just one question Bob. What colour is the sky on your planet?

If Lambert took us out of this division, and the one above won the Premiership, League Cup and FA Cup followed a season later by the Champions League I believe Bob that you would be still on here writing how Gunn would have done it.

I know the above is fanciful but at what point are you going to grasp that Gunn was never going to be the man to turn this club around?

To put it another way what does Lambert have to do to be accepted by you?

This current time should be a time where people are happy to see progress being made but day after day it just seems like a long playing record is scratching away.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]As for Boothroyd or Lambert, Boothroyd started from a far better position with a team full of confidence whereas we were rock bottom, that took an immense amount of man management and confidence building from Lambert and his team. This in my opinion was very impressive.[/quote]

I said something along these lines in my current blog.

So Bob,

Gunn should get credit for Lambert''s current Norwich team, but Lambert should not get credit for the Col U team he built doing well?

Gunn was our worst manager ever. Fact.

Some of the time Lambert has been fielding the kids because there was no-one else in the squad fit enough to pick - it wasn''t necessarily inspiration. Having said that - he does seem to have used the available resources cleverly - resting the key first team players whenever possible to keep them fresh for the league games, and bringing the youngsters through in the cup games.

He''s selected the youngsters primarily for their work-rate, energy levels and pace rather than their ability - something the rest of the squad lacks - and that''s why we got relegated last year - Lambert''s spotted that weakness and has put it right. The youngsters still have a lot to learn, but their effort and desire can often overcome their mistakes.

Gunn''s managerial problem was that the team couldn''t get motivated for the really important games - and when we needed wins we only got draws. That''s when you need a manager to know what tactical options exist - and to find a way to change the game for the better. That''s why Gunn didn''t cut it as a manager. But he remains a legend in my eyes - and should never have been given the job - it has tainted his memory.

Having said that - Gunn''s scouting may have found us Askou, Hughes and Holt who look like great signings, but as for Nelson, Gill, Tudur Jones, Maric, McVeigh, Whaley and Theoklitos - we would have been better off not bothering thank-you very much. So that''s a 30% hit rate for signings - is that good or bad?

I don''t know anything about Boothroyd''s ability as a manager - but I don''t like the physical style I saw Watford play when he got them promoted. I like the Norwich traditional style of passing play-making football, and I''m happy we''re playing that way under Lambert.

I think i`m right in saying that it is Lambert who played Smith at CM instead of RB under Gunn, and Hoolihan up front instead of LW under Gunn.  These two players have "clicked" in these positions therefore the credit should clearly go to Lambert imo.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I think i`m right in saying that it is Lambert who played Smith at CM instead of RB under Gunn, and Hoolihan up front instead of LW under Gunn.  These two players have "clicked" in these positions therefore the credit should clearly go to Lambert imo.[/quote]I think Gunn played Smith at RM which to be fair to him was his position for the youth team I believe. Lambert just saw his attributes could be used in another area so credit to him for that, if that is the case (not 100% on any of this)

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]What a great job Adie Boothroyd is doing at Colchester. Unbeaten since 1st September, 4th from the top, 6 points ahead of Norwich and team spirit apparently at an all time high. Who would you rather have ? What qualities does Boothroyd have that Lambert doesn''t ?[/quote]

The "quality" is the fact that he took over a team who were already flying, having been assembled by Lambert, whereas Lambert had to take on an unfit, disorganised shambles that was in the wrong half of the table and going nowhere fast. I appreciate your real agenda, but trying to suggest that a meaningful comparison is possible at this point really stretches credulity to its limits.

[/quote]

What a load of  hyperbole - in other words complete bol lox. "Colchester "flying", Norwich "unfit, disorganised shambles", "going nowhere fast" - Your post is so biased it really isn''t worth discussing but I am forced to remind you yet again that under Gunn major progress was made : players who no longer wanted to stay or Gunn didn''t want were cleared out, players such as Holt and Hughes were brought in, Hoolahan retained despite Gunn being told to sell him, and Norwich had their best pre-season in very many years . The big mistake that Gunn made was bringing in Theoklitis and playing him against Colchester. However, Gunn quickly rectified that mistake a few days later and played Alnwick (another excellent player that Gunn brought in) at Yeovil. The team  was so well re-grouped and reorganised that zero goals were conceded and 4 were scored in a second half in which Hoolahan (a player that Lambert decided to make an example of by leaving out of crucial league games when points could have been gained - talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face) and Hughes featured in a scintillating period of attacking football the likes of which I hadn''t seen from Norwich in years - you should know because you said that you were there too. you really ought to take off your blinkers. Your adulation of Lambert is only equalled by your dogmatic and unthinking dislike of Gunn. Frankly, it''s pathetic.

[/quote]

For Gods sake get over it Gunn has gone and the club is moving forward for the first time in years. Gunn was a goalkeeper not the best we have had but well rewarded for what he done. As a manager probably one of the worst we have had results wise.  Let the past go. 

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]So then, Boothroyd or Lambert? [:P][/quote]

I''d rather Boothroyd, because I''d rather us be in 7th place than 1st.

Seriously, what is the point of dragging up old posts like this? 

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

[/quote]I think the idea is to make the Original Poster look foolish.  But this is Bob Franklin we''re talking about.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

[/quote]

I think the idea is to make the Original Poster look foolish.  But this is Bob Franklin we''re talking about.
[/quote]

Bob/Alf/Bryan/Melissa doesnt need any help to look foolish

On a serious note, its pure conjecture - Boothroyd could maybe have taken us up with 100 points plus - Gunn maybe could have taken us up if he''d stayed - but we got the job done with Lambert

Geez, what a numpty that Bob Franklin is/was. Is he still posting? Boothroyd is a poor manager and if you go on Colchester''s forum, they want him sacked.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Geez, what a numpty that Bob Franklin is/was. Is he still posting? Boothroyd is a poor manager and if you go on Colchester''s forum, they want him sacked.[/quote]

He''s now posting as Alf Tupper, but he''s still a numpty!