Sign in to follow this  
John

Why We Won't Be Successful... (Sorry)

[quote user="Downloads"][quote user="canarywales"]

my opinion is based on the results since lambert took over and the attitude being shown by mcnally and the fact we finally seem to have someone running things who knows what they are doing

as for remaining civil since when has telling people to leave your country been civil , are you the prime minister by chance (just for ref i am english and originally from not far away fron norwich ) and does it really matter where our supporters come from anyway ?

your point about the forum defeats itself in that you are the one yourself that doesnt seem to like post of a different opinion to yours and i did give you constructive answers you obviously just didnt read them 

[/quote]

Your constructive post was posted in the very same minute as the post John made asking you to to leave the thread, so obviously he didn''t have a chance before posting, to read your post! He did respond to it afterwards, yet 2 minutes later you were still there calling him a Tw*t. I think you should take a chill pill.

[/quote]Much appreciated Downloads (and everyone else on here speaking sensibly and rationally). [Y]I felt i had got myself caught up in a blood bath initially after posting this thread. While i admit my point was a little controversial, i wasn''t quite expecting ''death threats'' and being told to ''bugger off''... I guess like PMY displayed, going against the tide and speaking as a level headed person (blowing my own trumpet now, i know [:$][;)]) doesn''t really go down particularly well on this forum.(.... Infact i fear to an extent that has a little bit of a bearing on why we are where we are unfortunately. Too ''bigoted'' at the worst and best of times to see our own shortcomings i fear.)

Not saying whether I agree with you or disagree but..If we hadn''t scored that late goal you wouldn''t have been slated for saying this, now one late goal makes the performance immune to criticism? Don''t get me wrong I''m happy..

Are you saying that the play-offs are a lottery because the last play-off final we reached was settled by a penalty shoot-out, which we lost to Birmingham?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary Poirot"]From what I''ve seen so far this season, half of League 1 is complete dross. We''re talking the Hartlepools, Exeters, Yeovils, Wycombes etc. We''re light years ahead of them. [/quote]I don''t think we are that far ahead, to be honest.  Walsall were in there and if we can''t break them down and draw 0-0, we''re pretty much "dross" ourselves.[/quote]I agree, that''s what i fear myself, and it''s the main source of evidence that supports my original post (above the opposing evidence i am aware of at the moment... Which of course, at the moment at least, doesn''t suffice).But, like i''m sure you''d be willing, quick and swift to display yourself Chops, we are more than capable of breaking down teams like Walsall, Exeter, Brentford... etc.. It''s just applyng the same mentallity that we have in the big games, to most (hopefully all) of the games throughout the season (as we are in possession of some talented players capable of helping us break those teams down).Unfortunately they only best prefer to turn up in the games that draw the most attention at the moment.It''s Lamberts job to now change that from now on. The question is, can he?

John, your not wrong, in recent games (on our slide) ive seen Norwich play brilliant football, get comfortable results and be fantastic, ive seen this under Roeder Gunn and even Grant! - with all these managers this has turned into false hope as we''ve soon run into bad form which has ultimatly left us in the position we find ourselves in :(

However I''m confident Lambert is the man who is going to sort the players out, get the tactics sorted, and inject a bit of consistency into us. at the minute he hasnt had much of a chance to see our players, address the problem areas and find suitable replacements. Hes already impressed me with the efforts put in by some of the players, and his attirude that reputation alone wont get anybody into the team, something that Hoolahan has hopefully learnt (played a blinder today in my opinion, much better than his revious games)

So I dont think you have any reason to be negative, if your as negative as your post suggests! im amazed your a football fan!

- added to that, while I dont agree with what some people have said in this post, your message was rather negative, didnt seem to put forward any optimism or thoughts for the future, and if it wasnt for your 1000 posts on this board, id have believed you were a bitter charlton fan posing as a Norwich fan.

^ that last paragraph isnt meant in bad taste, OTBC!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="John"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lambert Revolution"]Just die please,A) You''ve already posted thisB) We just came back from 2-0 down to a team who are DOMINATING this league, and will probably go onto to dominate.C) They''ve conceded 10 Goals all season, INCLDUING TODAY. And you''re critising us? This world don''t need negative people like you. JUST KEEL OVER.[/quote]

I can''t condone this...........but..................I understand the sentiment behind it!

[/quote]Please, elaborate on that Wiz.[/quote]

Well John, after such a fighting, never say die effort by the team, and the superb fans, I find it churlish to criticise anything after a game like that.

[/quote]That''s funny, because last season we weren''t "superb fans" but sheep and happy clappers.  When did your epiphany occur?Sorry, that will probably have you wheeling for the dictionary.  Let me dumb it down for you.  When did you realise that the fans are not sheep but superb?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="John"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lambert Revolution"]Just die please,

A) You''ve already posted this
B) We just came back from 2-0 down to a team who are DOMINATING this league, and will probably go onto to dominate.
C) They''ve conceded 10 Goals all season, INCLDUING TODAY. And you''re critising us?

This world don''t need negative people like you. JUST KEEL OVER.
[/quote]

I can''t condone this...........but..................I understand the sentiment behind it!

[/quote]

Please, elaborate on that Wiz.
[/quote]

Well John, after such a fighting, never say die effort by the team, and the superb fans, I find it churlish to criticise anything after a game like that.

[/quote]

That''s funny, because last season we weren''t "superb fans" but sheep and happy clappers.  When did your epiphany occur?

Sorry, that will probably have you wheeling for the dictionary.  Let me dumb it down for you.  When did you realise that the fans are not sheep but superb?

[/quote]

Oh just get lost you sanctimonious sod!...............and just grow up!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="John"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lambert Revolution"]Just die please,A) You''ve already posted thisB) We just came back from 2-0 down to a team who are DOMINATING this league, and will probably go onto to dominate.C) They''ve conceded 10 Goals all season, INCLDUING TODAY. And you''re critising us? This world don''t need negative people like you. JUST KEEL OVER.[/quote]

[/quote]Please, elaborate on that Wiz.[/quote]

[/quote]That''s funny, because last season we weren''t "superb fans" but sheep and happy clappers.  When did your epiphany occur?Sorry, that will probably have you wheeling for the dictionary.  Let me dumb it down for you.  When did you realise that the fans are not sheep but superb?[/quote]

Oh just get lost you sanctimonious sod!...............and just grow up!

[/quote]I win.  Move on.

[quote user="Specialized Canary"]

John, your not wrong, in recent games (on our slide) ive seen Norwich play brilliant football, get comfortable results and be fantastic, ive seen this under Roeder Gunn and even Grant! - with all these managers this has turned into false hope as we''ve soon run into bad form which has ultimatly left us in the position we find ourselves in :(

However I''m confident Lambert is the man who is going to sort the players out, get the tactics sorted, and inject a bit of consistency into us. at the minute he hasnt had much of a chance to see our players, address the problem areas and find suitable replacements. Hes already impressed me with the efforts put in by some of the players, and his attirude that reputation alone wont get anybody into the team, something that Hoolahan has hopefully learnt (played a blinder today in my opinion, much better than his revious games)

So I dont think you have any reason to be negative, if your as negative as your post suggests! im amazed your a football fan!

- added to that, while I dont agree with what some people have said in this post, your message was rather negative, didnt seem to put forward any optimism or thoughts for the future, and if it wasnt for your 1000 posts on this board, id have believed you were a bitter charlton fan posing as a Norwich fan.

[/quote]Indeed. I''ve been impressed to an extent by Lambert. By no means has he been perfect, but it would seem he has the potential to be a decent manager for us.It''s currently in the balance as to whether he will be though, if we are being honest.For what it''s worth though, i''m not really that negative. I put my original post forward quite harshly to bring people back down to earth after a wave of euphoria after that late goal. We do indeed have hope of changing the pattern we are prone to following, but time will onlt tell if Lambert is capable of doing so.However, up until this point evidence has suggested nothing vital has really been different to that of which we have experienced in the past. It''s up to Lambert now to get that team performing in games, both big, and small, show we are contenders. And when he has, i will be convinced, as well as other fans should be.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Specialized Canary"]

[/quote]Indeed. I''ve been impressed to an extent by Lambert. By no means has he been perfect, but it would seem he has the potential to be a decent manager for us.It''s currently in the balance as to whether he will be though, if we are being honest.For what it''s worth though, i''m not really that negative. I put my original post forward quite harshly to bring people back down to earth after a wave of euphoria after that late goal. We do indeed have hope of changing the pattern we are prone to following, but time will onlt tell if Lambert is capable of doing so.However, up until this point evidence has suggested nothing vital has really been different to that of which we have experienced in the past. It''s up to Lambert now to get that team performing in games, both big, and small, show we are contenders. And when he has, i will be convinced, as well as other fans should be.[/quote]Oh, and as for the last part, don''t worry SC, i understand.Read more of my posts on this thread, and you''ll really get the gist of what i was on about.

100% agree John, im rooting for Lambert to be the tactition to turn it around at Norwich, because if he does fail as previous managers have done, I really believe this club will be forced to go through a complete upheavel, and thats something I dont want to see.

[quote user="Specialized Canary"]

100% agree John, im rooting for Lambert to be the tactition to turn it around at Norwich, because if he does fail as previous managers have done, I really believe this club will be forced to go through a complete upheavel, and thats something I dont want to see.

[/quote]Absolutely SC.He really does need to be the real deal i think, as i do wonder as to how many set backs Norwich City can really tolerate, while sustaining itself as the proper club we all know it to be?

[quote user="canarywales"]hehehehe[/quote]Jesus... I''m not even close to being half your age, yet i feel like i''m trying to reason with a 5 year old.Utterly ridiculous.

[quote user="John"]We''ve probably matched Charlton at the least today, i think thats fair to say, and the obvious difference between us is our inability to be clinical in the final 3rd, and their ability not to make a hash of things when it matters, but i believe the main difference today is that we''ve thrown the kitchen sink at Charlton to get a result... They''ve hardly stepped a gear from the casual play they were playing after the first goal.

Over our next couple of fixtures, we won''t build upon this, we''ll just sit back, with the occasional decent individual performances for certain players. This performance, like impressive performances do for us, have the annoying prospect of being followed by average and dour play thereafter for at least awhile. Charlton on the other hand will carry on with the same efficiency and effectiveness, bar the occasional slip up, that will see them occupy a similar place as to the one they are at for awhile now.

That is why we struggle to ever prove successful in the league these days, while Charlton will continue to impose their dominance for this year at least.

It''s what makes winners, and we don''t have it.
[/quote]

Obviously things are different up in Norfolk but I''d take coming back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 rather than the alternative of not coming back anytime.

It''s probably my age however.[+o(]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="John"]We''ve probably matched Charlton at the least today, i think thats fair to say, and the obvious difference between us is our inability to be clinical in the final 3rd, and their ability not to make a hash of things when it matters, but i believe the main difference today is that we''ve thrown the kitchen sink at Charlton to get a result... They''ve hardly stepped a gear from the casual play they were playing after the first goal.Over our next couple of fixtures, we won''t build upon this, we''ll just sit back, with the occasional decent individual performances for certain players. This performance, like impressive performances do for us, have the annoying prospect of being followed by average and dour play thereafter for at least awhile. Charlton on the other hand will carry on with the same efficiency and effectiveness, bar the occasional slip up, that will see them occupy a similar place as to the one they are at for awhile now.That is why we struggle to ever prove successful in the league these days, while Charlton will continue to impose their dominance for this year at least.It''s what makes winners, and we don''t have it.[/quote]

Obviously things are different up in Norfolk but I''d take coming back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 rather than the alternative of not coming back anytime.

[/quote]It''s a stunning result as far as i''m concerned, absolutely.It''s fairly easy as an outsider to just say that though.I''d go further into it with you, but i''d just be repeating myself on the same thread.As i''ve said before, read the rest of my posts on this thread, and you''ll probably get the gist of what i was on about Cam.

I understand what you mean John, we always raise our play for the big games and I pray we show that type of commitment away at Gillingham.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="John"]We''ve probably matched Charlton at the least today, i think thats fair to say, and the obvious difference between us is our inability to be clinical in the final 3rd, and their ability not to make a hash of things when it matters, but i believe the main difference today is that we''ve thrown the kitchen sink at Charlton to get a result... They''ve hardly stepped a gear from the casual play they were playing after the first goal.

Over our next couple of fixtures, we won''t build upon this, we''ll just sit back, with the occasional decent individual performances for certain players. This performance, like impressive performances do for us, have the annoying prospect of being followed by average and dour play thereafter for at least awhile. Charlton on the other hand will carry on with the same efficiency and effectiveness, bar the occasional slip up, that will see them occupy a similar place as to the one they are at for awhile now.

That is why we struggle to ever prove successful in the league these days, while Charlton will continue to impose their dominance for this year at least.

It''s what makes winners, and we don''t have it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s a stunning result as far as i''m concerned, absolutely.

It''s fairly easy as an outsider to just say that though.

I''d go further into it with you, but i''d just be repeating myself on the same thread.

As i''ve said before, read the rest of my posts on this thread, and you''ll probably get the gist of what i was on about Cam.
[/quote]

I got the gist of the original post.  We are in September, this is a very hard League, and there are many, many games to go and every club may lose star players with injuries for months at a time and may or may not find adequate replacements.

It is far too early to say who is going to be successful or not but coming back from 2-0 down to 2-2 is still good, to me.

See where we all are around Christmas would be my advice - and even then you can''t be certain.

There have been clubs in this League who led at Christmas and were subsequently left in the relegation zone.

John

I was encouraged by our play today. As a team during the past few years we have had many false dawns, playing well for a couple of games then, for many reasons, simply drifting into also rans, couldn''t care lesses and frankly abysmal.

Walsall was poor, very poor, but today we were good, infact at times very good. Does the quality of the opposition explain some of it, were the players today motivated because they were playing the league leaders, or did it have more to do with Lambert''s choices today playing very well as a team? Maybe a bit of both.

There was some cracking football today at times and everyone put in effort, in a few cases more than has been seen on occasion. For me there were many good performances today, namely Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan and Korey Smith, with Lappin and Russell not far behind. No one had a bad game.

Also, we didn''t give up when Charlton took the lead. How many times have we seen heads down and no fight in this situation?

Lambert has had to experiment with formations and personnel. Today, for me was his best match so far (I haven''t been to an away game so won''t count those).

Charlton took it for granted they would win today until it was too late, added to that several dubious decisions by the officials only added to the wall we had to climb.

I left the ground more optimistic than I have been for a long, long time. I only hope we can start putting a run together and remain consistent. IF we can keep key players and strengthen in January we have as good a chance as any of reaching the playoffs, on today''s performance. Key is, can we keep it going.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]John I was encouraged by our play today. As a team during the past few years we have had many false dawns, playing well for a couple of games then, for many reasons, simply drifting into also rans, couldn''t care lesses and frankly abysmal. Walsall was poor, very poor, but today we were good, infact at times very good. Does the quality of the opposition explain some of it, were the players today motivated because they were playing the league leaders, or did it have more to do with Lambert''s choices today playing very well as a team? Maybe a bit of both. There was some cracking football today at times and everyone put in effort, in a few cases more than has been seen on occasion. For me there were many good performances today, namely Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan and Korey Smith, with Lappin and Russell not far behind. No one had a bad game. Also, we didn''t give up when Charlton took the lead. How many times have we seen heads down and no fight in this situation? Lambert has had to experiment with formations and personnel. Today, for me was his best match so far (I haven''t been to an away game so won''t count those). Charlton took it for granted they would win today until it was too late, added to that several dubious decisions by the officials only added to the wall we had to climb. I left the ground more optimistic than I have been for a long, long time. I only hope we can start putting a run together and remain consistent. IF we can keep key players and strengthen in January we have as good a chance as any of reaching the playoffs, on today''s performance. Key is, can we keep it going.[/quote]

Best post in the thread. [Y]

Another interesting outsider''s view.http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/sep/19/league-one-norwich-charltonI particularly liked:

"It goes without saying that no team has a divine right to Premier

League or even Championship status. Yet, staring out around Carrow Road

yesterday, as Norwich and Charlton again locked horns, sharing the

spoils in a thrilling 2-2 draw, you had to pinch yourself that this was

a third-tier fixture.

The ground was worthy of the Premier

League, as was the atmosphere. Most of the football on show was right

up there with the mid-to-upper echelons of the Championship. Of course,

had both clubs performed like this last season, they would not be where

they are now. As that old football adage goes, sometimes you have to go

down to come back up."

I know this is groundhog day, but there''s something happening with Lambert that gives me hope. He could just be The Man ........

I did not see the game of course but it''s nice to read some of the favourable comments regarding the level of entertainment. I watched the Burnley-Sunderland game on television and let me say that it had a fair amount of hoofball content for a Premiership game.

Pete, i had a post deleted in this thread today [:S]

Dont remember putting anything harsh or rude today?

It is certainly the case that what we need to do is to try to play like that week in week out, and not just against the decent sides, surely that is obvious.

But it definitely has to be said that some people really are jumping the gun with comments like "the automatic promotion places are already gone". FFS, there''s only 8 games gone, so 38 games remaining. Absolutely nothing is remotely decided yet.

The season is a long marathon, not a short sprint, and as there''s always sides who start well and falter, there''s also sides who have a slightly iffy start and come through. (Look up season 85/86, we won promotion as champions after a worse start).

It is of course how/whether we kick-on that counts, but so far under Lambert there are signs that we can - todays performance was far and away the best we''ve seen in a while, and something half as good as that would see off many in this league.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]And Burnley won.  Whatever it takes...................[/quote]

My point was with respect to the entertainment value others referred to. If Sunderland had won it would have still been hoofball.

Recalling being 4-1 down in the Premiership against Middlesbrough with minutes to go - yet clawed back and got a 4-4 draw...We also beat Man U 2-0........Quite a few games we played well.......But we still got relegated.

2 points from the last three league games? I''m not getting excited just yet. Although I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday''s game, I''m not convinced that the tide is actually turning. If it wasn''t for Holt''s injury time - off the spine equalizer....the discussion may be so different.

I''m encouraged by the resilience against ''the then league leaders'' but we didn''t take our chances in front of goal....and that''s what concerns me at the moment.  

Yesterday''s game was something rather special and it won''t be so exciting every week. 

However, I believe the tide could be turning . . . was it just a case of the team raising themselves for a big occasion, or did it show that they''re getting fitter?  Lambert has spoken about this several times, and I thought there were signs that their fitness is starting to approach what it should be.  If so, I would expect to see more consistency.  They won''t suddenly turn into world beaters but I''m hopeful that Lambert will get the absolute maximum out of what he''s got - Martin O''Neill style. 

It begs the question, of course, as to what the hell they''ve been doing over the past couple of seasons in terms of fitness?

I was encouraged by the spirit and style of play in this match but the fact is that City are still closer to relegation than the 6th playoff position. As usual, injuries haven''t helped, but at least Lambert may now see the advantages of a large squad (3 CMs out but Russell, Smith and Adeyemi there to come in). The play-offs are still a possibility but City had to win to keep any chance of automatic promotion alive. As for the earlier comment, "Even if we don''t go up this season, I still think we''ll go up within two further seasons, simply because year on year, we have a bigger income than 95% of the teams in this division, hence we can attract players of higher quality", that is not what I would call success!

Very good comeback, and bit of buzz in the air, impressed with Holt (does the simple things well), and best thing of all the youngsters are beginning to bed in. That for me is reason to be cheerful. In terms of final placings, as ever I remain cautious, and I suspect we will not quite reach the play-off positions. Too many teams will raise their game at Carra, and Norwich City have been poor away from home for decades now (with the odd blip of course).