Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

The whole Notts County thing...

What do we all make of it?  I am slightly jealous to be honest, how could you not be?!''We want to be premierleague within 5 years'' now thats ambition! Money doesnt necessarily gurantee success (see Ippo and QPR) and it remains to be seen whether their objective is achieved.Any thoughts?

I wouldn''t give a 34-year-old who''s not even fit after not playing for months a five-year contract that''s a sure bet.

Just like cheating on Football Manager.OK, it pretty much guarentees success, but it''s still cheating.Got a lot more time for the likes of Hull, who 10 years ago were languishing down the bottom of the football league and got where they are through canny decisions and graft.

Like every other club living beyong their means I hope their backers pull out and they go bust. Money has ruined football and I get angry when I hear Sven and Sol Campbell say things like, "It''s a great challenge" and "I came for the passion". Nonsense. They went to Notts County for the money and I dearly hope they lose every game. Unfortunately, we all know they''ll go up this year and probably next. Championship won''t be so easy to buy their way out of though so with a bit of luck they''ll get stuck there for a few years and the backers will get bored.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]I wouldn''t give a 34-year-old who''s not even fit after not playing for months a five-year contract that''s a sure bet.[/quote]

Spot on, although i beleive there''s a coaching offer at the end of it also.

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="Dronny Canary"]I just have this horrible feeling that this will all end in tears![/quote]

not as much as i hope ipshit ends in tears!
[/quote]

It''s a laugh, isn''t it? The rabid raver is already bubbling!!

[quote user="sgncfc"]Like every other club living beyong their means I hope their backers pull out and they go bust. Money has ruined football and I get angry when I hear Sven and Sol Campbell say things like, "It''s a great challenge" and "I came for the passion". Nonsense. They went to Notts County for the money and I dearly hope they lose every game. Unfortunately, we all know they''ll go up this year and probably next. Championship won''t be so easy to buy their way out of though so with a bit of luck they''ll get stuck there for a few years and the backers will get bored.[/quote]

Can you name a single club who brought in mega rich backers who then walked away and left the club to go bankrupt?

Just quick mention about Hull. They have megabucks and invested heavily the year they went up. They didn''t shout about it though!!

The Sun were right, they called this weeks ago, have they got any Norwich rumours going?

[quote user="James"]The Sun were right, they called this weeks ago, have they got any Norwich rumours going?[/quote]

But no ones interested in buying League 1&2 clubs...................Delia said so![:|]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="James"]The Sun were right, they called this weeks ago, have they got any Norwich rumours going?[/quote]

But no ones interested in buying League 1&2 clubs...................Delia said so![:|]

[/quote]

You so sure about that?

can''t believe Sol! he is still good enough for the prem i think. maybe one more season in him. one of the lower teams in the league. Hull were after him, but he chose County (for some reason!!) £££ maybe and 5 year contract prob have something to do with it i''d say!

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

You so sure about that?

[/quote]

She is!

[quote user="Flinty"]can''t believe Sol! he is still good enough for the prem i think. maybe one more season in him.

one of the lower teams in the league. Hull were after him, but he chose County (for some reason!!) £££ maybe and 5 year contract prob have something to do with it i''d say!
[/quote]

Around £40k a week would be the reason I think.............must be a record for a League2 club.

[quote user="Herb"]Just like cheating on Football Manager.OK, it pretty much guarentees success, but it''s still cheating.Got a lot more time for the likes of Hull, who 10 years ago were languishing down the bottom of the football league and got where they are through canny decisions and graft.[/quote]Why''s it cheating?  It is no different to Chelsea chucking money around or Man City.  The only difference is Notts County have a bigger challenge starting at the bottom of the heap.

[quote user="Mr McNallys Alter Ego"][quote user="Herb"]Just like cheating on Football Manager.OK, it pretty much guarentees success, but it''s still cheating.Got a lot more time for the likes of Hull, who 10 years ago were languishing down the bottom of the football league and got where they are through canny decisions and graft.[/quote]Why''s it cheating?  It is no different to Chelsea chucking money around or Man City.  The only difference is Notts County have a bigger challenge starting at the bottom of the heap.[/quote]It''s cheating because it bends the economics of the game, in the same way that Sky did.  Before silly TV deals, a large attendance was some guarantee of a successful team, as clubs had little else to buy players with.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]

[quote user="sgncfc"]Like every other club living beyong their means I hope their backers pull out and they go bust. Money has ruined football and I get angry when I hear Sven and Sol Campbell say things like, "It''s a great challenge" and "I came for the passion". Nonsense. They went to Notts County for the money and I dearly hope they lose every game. Unfortunately, we all know they''ll go up this year and probably next. Championship won''t be so easy to buy their way out of though so with a bit of luck they''ll get stuck there for a few years and the backers will get bored.[/quote]

Can you name a single club who brought in mega rich backers who then walked away and left the club to go bankrupt?

[/quote]

Rushden & Diamonds?  There are others where a rich saviour was trumpeted only for it not quite to work out that way e.g. West Ham, Portsmouth

[quote user="CT "]Anyone know the group behind them that are financing them?
[/quote]

Yeah, nobody at the FA or the press or even the Notts County fans know who they are, but we all do on the pink''un forums. It''s Peter Cullum and Robert Chase.

I may be alone here, but I''d find it a bit sickening if I was a Notts County fan. Tw@ts like Campbell and Sven turning up and running on about the club''s great history. I''m sure most of them are loving it, but can''t they just build gradually and solidly? They could buy the best players in Leagues 1 and 2 and work their way up. Sol Campbell in League 2, does make a mockery of the league system.