Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Bruce Rioch Anyone

When Gunn inevitably get''s sacked/resigns how about Bruce - good tough manager still lives locally and has attends Home games from time to time.

Whoever replaces Gunn can''t be a novice it''s a massive job.

I feel his spell at the club was much underrated and he laid solid foundations that Worthy then ran with. I feel our Home form which got us to the premiership was something he established

If we offered him decent money (which we don''t have) then I am sure he would come, he has already expressed his desire to get back into management.

Worthington ?

Are you mad he triggered this mess by refusing to resign and spending all the premiership money on a bunch of no-hopers.

I hold him more responsible than both Grant and Roeder

Are you being serious?, at the end of his reign he ran out of ideas. Obviously he has talent, after all he did take us to the premiership. Now 4 years on or whatever, with a whole new squad, a new league, new board members, surely giving him another chance wouldnt be that bad?

Without wanting to go over it too much

Worthington basically inherited a very good team :

green, mackay, flem, kenton, steeno, roberts, mulryne, mcveigh and the signing of holt and drury just needed the i and t crossing that. Basically that bunch of players plus Hucks got us to the premiership. He then failed hopelessly to replace them with a very decent budget remember he blew 3m on Earnshaw and when we were in dire need of a target man

yes things have got worse since he has gone but that one and half he had after the relegation were the start of the rot

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Pardew is shiite. Now I have said that, he will go and get them promoted...[/quote] Hes a competent enough manager and a million times better than the clown we have in charge.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Don''t think DOF works at all.[/quote]

I think in this case it has the potential to work. Inexperienced manager is guided by an experienced ex-manger (such as Rioch) who has no intention of the manager''s job himself. Before anybody says sack Gunn and let''s get in an experienced manager, that unrealistic because allegedly he has the backing of the board, he''s not going to sacked after 1 game, and then even if he is sacked we''re left with a new manager to come in inheriting a team that has been assembled by the previous manager, it''s not a viable scenario if we want to be promoted this season.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Don''t think DOF works at all.[/quote]

I think in this case it has the potential to work. Inexperienced manager is guided by an experienced ex-manger (such as Rioch) who has no intention of the manager''s job himself. Before anybody says sack Gunn and let''s get in an experienced manager, that unrealistic because allegedly he has the backing of the board, he''s not going to sacked after 1 game, and then even if he is sacked we''re left with a new manager to come in inheriting a team that has been assembled by the previous manager, it''s not a viable scenario if we want to be promoted this season.

[quote user="HappyhammerAndy"]What does a Director of football actually do, I''ve never really understood it? What is he responsible for?
[/quote]

I think in this case he could be used as an experienced managerial guide for Gunn, also i''m under the impression that the DOF acts as the link between boardroom and the coaching set up. However I think this varies from club to club with DOF''s such as Eriksson who are responsible for overseeing the entire academy and scouting structures...

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]When Gunn inevitably get''s sacked/resigns how about Bruce - good tough manager still lives locally and has attends Home games from time to time. Whoever replaces Gunn can''t be a novice it''s a massive job. I feel his spell at the club was much underrated and he laid solid foundations that Worthy then ran with. I feel our Home form which got us to the premiership was something he established[/quote]

he is moving to cornwall. fact.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]When Gunn inevitably get''s sacked/resigns how about Bruce - good tough manager still lives locally and has attends Home games from time to time. Whoever replaces Gunn can''t be a novice it''s a massive job. I feel his spell at the club was much underrated and he laid solid foundations that Worthy then ran with. I feel our Home form which got us to the premiership was something he established[/quote]

Bruce Riochs been out of the game for over a decade.. the first thing he''d do whe he arrived at Colney was wonder where the hell Che Wilson was....

no thanks!

jas :)

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]He then failed hopelessly to replace them with a very decent budget remember he blew 3m on Earnshaw and when we were in dire need of a target man[/quote]Would that be the same Earnshaw who scored 17 goals before getting badly injured in January?Yeah, crap signing...

I don''t get this Ulf. In January 2006 Worthy signed Earnshaw for 2.75m plus add ons. 18 months later he was sold to Derby County for 3.5m. Inbetween he played 47 games and scored 27 goals.

When Earnshaw was sold Grant then spent 800,000 and a healthy 3 year contract on Jamie Cureton. Two years later he still has a year of that contract to run but can''t get any pitch time even in the Third Division when we are being tonked at home by Colchester. In between Cureton  has played 68 games and scored 15 goals.

Worthy tried to bring a target man in but was not backed by the board. He refused to buy second rate players so in the end, much to the disgust of the thousands baying for his blood, he signed Dion Dublin.

If we''d sacked Worthy sooner I think there''s a strong possibility we could have already had one season in the Third Division.

Sorry Ulf - meant to add regarding your opening post I would have far more confidence in Bruce Rioch than what we have now. Bruce was a proven manager at a much higher level. (He was an excellent footballer too for those of us old enough to remember) [;)]