Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Whaley - Russell swap deal on?

There''s a pinkun story now up which says this swap might be on....though did we not hear similar with PNE last season about someone (I forget who though?!)?

IMO such a swap deal for Rusty would be a pretty good move - he is never going to command a huge fee, we need a winger and we already have his position covered by newbies. Whaley comes with mixed reviews (confidence player, can look great or crap - but then remember who he''d be replacing!) but who doesn''t.

This would also presumably free up any cash from Sammy to be used for a decent forward.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]Go for it I say. Whaley was not great for PNE, but neither was Russell for us.[/quote]

Source Dr?

[/quote]

www.prestonnorthend-mad.co.uk

Being discussed on ths message board, apparantly Holloway has enquired about him for Blackpool, as was told that he''s coming to us!

[/quote]

Thanks for the link GJL, they''re not very complementry about him are they? still, most fans do that.

I think Whaley will definately sign, and probably before we go to Scotland.

He may get mixed reviews (and may well turn out to be crap!) but does have plenty of appearances under his belt in what was a pretty decent PNE side over recent seasons (incl 31 starts in 06/07, 29 in 07/08 + plenty of subs); not so many last season (new manager, I think?) and had a spell on loan to Barnsley, but a good deal of his career has still been in the Champs.

Story was actually broken by kick it off on Friday ;-)[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]Go for it I say. Whaley was not great for PNE, but neither was Russell for us.[/quote]

Source Dr?

[/quote]

www.prestonnorthend-mad.co.uk

Being discussed on ths message board, apparantly Holloway has enquired about him for Blackpool, as was told that he''s coming to us!

[/quote]

Another person on another thread said something really important about Rusty, that every time he has left a club, the club has been promoted.

Whaley will be a good player in this league and Rusty wages will not be cheap.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]There''s a pinkun story now up which says this swap might be on....though did we not hear similar with PNE last season about someone (I forget who though?!)? [/quote]I think the story you''re referring to was a proposed swap of Mark Fotheringham for Darren Carter.

At last, a winger with pace on the radar!Is it possible that Uncle Fester reads this message board and my posts after all?

Russell is an embarrasment of a football player. He should be ashamed everytime he put on that yellow shirt. I hate the man, his attitude stinks and his football ability is even worse. Bye bye loser.

[quote user="LEGION"]

Russell is an embarrasment of a football player. He should be ashamed everytime he put on that yellow shirt. I hate the man, his attitude stinks and his football ability is even worse. Bye bye loser.

[/quote]

Come off it. He had a poor season last yera and his touch lets him down but the one thing you can''t fault Russell for is the effort he puts in. He may be a bit of a liability at times with his tackling but of the players we have I do believe he cares.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Come off it. He had a poor season last yera and his touch lets him down but the one thing you can''t fault Russell for is the effort he puts in. He may be a bit of a liability at times with his tackling but of the players we have I do believe he cares.[/quote]

Sorry but I disagree Jim.  Too oftenlast season, even under gunn, he was completely disinterested.

The only time he showed any passion was when the red mist dropped following a poor tackle or poor refs decision against him.

He should be ok at league one level but if he does not want be here then cheerio,  and all the better if someone will pay for him.. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Come off it. He had a poor season last yera and his touch lets him down but the one thing you can''t fault Russell for is the effort he puts in. He may be a bit of a liability at times with his tackling but of the players we have I do believe he cares.[/quote]

Sorry but I disagree Jim.  Too oftenlast season, even under gunn, he was completely disinterested.

The only time he showed any passion was when the red mist dropped following a poor tackle or poor refs decision against him.

He should be ok at league one level but if he does not want be here then cheerio,  and all the better if someone will pay for him.. 

[/quote]

Charlton is still fresh in my mind and that day, like many others, our midfield was not brave enough to go forward and Russell more than anyone played the ball backwards putting our defence and goalkeeper under constant pressure. Players who hide and take the easy option often get away with it where as players who are brave but lose the ball are berated by the fans. In my opinion our midfield was more to blame than our defence last season. We needed them to be strong and brave and they weren''t, especially away from home. Clingan was ok defensively and Fotheringham was the pick of the others but couldn''t form a partnership with Sammy and in the end his attitude stunk. TBH I wouldn''t be sorry to see the back of all of them!

Preston fan here. Will be glad to see the back of Whaley. He has been very poor for us, with the odd glimpses of class. He had a 2 month spell where he was looking a better prospect then Nugent, but that quickly went. Ducks out of any 50/50 tackle, if he can''t beat a full back with his pace he has nothing else up his sleeve, has a powerful shot but it is very wild, and drifts out of the game far too often. Also has had gambling problems in the past. We had been linked to Fotheringham a few times last season, I''d love us to get Clingan in exchange, but I think it''ll be Russell as we are after a physical player in the middle of midfield.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Charlton is still fresh in my mind and that day, like many others, our midfield was not brave enough to go forward and Russell more than anyone played the ball backwards putting our defence and goalkeeper under constant pressure. Players who hide and take the easy option often get away with it where as players who are brave but lose the ball are berated by the fans. In my opinion our midfield was more to blame than our defence last season. We needed them to be strong and brave and they weren''t, especially away from home. Clingan was ok defensively and Fotheringham was the pick of the others but couldn''t form a partnership with Sammy and in the end his attitude stunk. TBH I wouldn''t be sorry to see the back of all of them!

[/quote]

Good post Nutty but i would like to keep Clingan at the club myself but thats not going to happen!!

[quote user="norky84"]

Preston fan here. Will be glad to see the back of Whaley. He has been very poor for us, with the odd glimpses of class. He had a 2 month spell where he was looking a better prospect then Nugent, but that quickly went. Ducks out of any 50/50 tackle, if he can''t beat a full back with his pace he has nothing else up his sleeve, has a powerful shot but it is very wild, and drifts out of the game far too often. Also has had gambling problems in the past. We had been linked to Fotheringham a few times last season, I''d love us to get Clingan in exchange, but I think it''ll be Russell as we are after a physical player in the middle of midfield.

[/quote]

As far as any deal/swap is concerned, I''m pretty certain you''re going to wind up with the s*it end of the stick.

[quote user="norky84"]

[/quote]

Not exactly a glowing reference is it!!! LOL Good luck with keeping Russell on the pitch and his mind on the game.

[quote user="norky84"]

[/quote]

No way in the world we''d give you Clingan in exchange i''m afraid. To be honest he can do better than cov and i''m surprised there aren''t better clubs in for him as he''s a quality player. Russell is ok. " seasons ago was excellent but last season was poor, seemed to lose the ability to control the ball and got sent off a few times during crucial periods of the season. Not helped by being played up front for part of the season though as we had no strikers!

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="norky84"]

[/quote]

Not exactly a glowing reference is it!!! LOL Good luck with keeping Russell on the pitch and his mind on the game.

[/quote]

I saw Whaley play for Bury several times a couple of years back and he was class at that level and I reckon he will do a good job for us in League 1. Not sure PNE have got the best out of him at all as he definitely showed great potential at Bury.

I can''t see there being a swap deal, PNE manager says it is a stand alone deal:But Irvine said: "There has been an inquiry from Norwich about Simon but at the moment that is all we can say. "It is something that could happen, but it is something that may not happen. "It

is simply a stand-alone deal, if there is going to be a deal. They have

made an inquiry, at this moment we have not had an official offer from

them." He said a clearer picture of Whaley''s future should

emerge in the next few days and a possible transfer fee has not been

discussed. Whaley, who signed from the Shakers for £300,000 in

January, 2006, and has played as a striker, winger and central

midfielder, endured a mixed 2008/09.Source:  [url=http://www.lep.co.uk/pnenews/Canaries-enquire-about-PNE39s-Whaley.5455763.jp]Lancs Evening Post[/url]