Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Rage Against The Referee

Fantastic entertainment last night for a football fan who wanted both teams to lose. Just gutted I missed Terry blubbing on the TV again. Awful reffing – and I doubt that he’ll get any more showpiece game after that performance.

Interesting to see that Chelsea got a good ole dose of “Big Four” medicine, with a series of crucial decisions go against them. Now they know how many of the smaller clubs feel each week as they battle against the odds, the referees and everything else in their quest for Premiership points to in order to keep Murdoch’s filthy millions.

Who thinks video replays are the would sort all this out? It probably would in the vast majority of decisions, but there’s a deafening silence from the Big Four on this. And the reason for this deafening silence?

The Big Four get the majority of the big decisions in their favour and video replays in the Premiership would even these decisions out. They don’t want it to happen.

How can the chelsea tactics be anything other than shocking. For 90 mins in spain they decided that cynically taking down players was the right way to play. Then in Chelsea 90 mins of diving, cheating and a lot of time wasting. I believe they deserved to lose and as for their behaviour at the end of the game absolutely disgraceful. They should definitely be banned from next years competition. Refs don''t give blatant pens all the time in lower leagues but these so called stars think they can act the way they did. Also nearly every ref would have given a free kick not a pen and the only team that tried to play football won. Justice

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.

[/quote]

Fully agree with this sentiment.

Cheatski disgraced themselves tonight there was no protesting when Anelka tripped himself up for the sending off and IMO none of the penalty appeals were as clear cut as Souness protested. First one was a small very minor ''foul'' outside the box and I failed to see anything that might have caused the player to collapse so dramatically a few seconds later. Drogba was possibly a victim of his reputation for the second and if he''d stayed on his feet might have made the shirt tugging appear more relevant, the other two were ball to hand and both times the player was turning away from the ball and there was little distance or time to react.

Not as nailed on as the pro British commentators might like us to believe.

On the other hand the ''foul'' on Anelka was a farce he quite clearly caught his own heel with the other foot and the Ballack, Terry and Drogba abuse of the officials was not pretty.

Ballack practically wrapped himself round the ref and screamed abuse, Terry showed the ''inner thug'' once again and Drogbas behaviour was inexcusable both to the ref and the camera.

I hope Chelsea are fined and banned from the competition next year, the sight of Drogba pretending he has a head injury to stop the flow of Barcas play sickens me and I''ve had enough of that team.

As Branston says the real winner over the two legs was football, as a result Barcelone went through and ''the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.''[/quote]

all it needed was for the referee to show a straight red to Ballack, Terry and Drogba and it would of bought everything into sharp focus.. chelski being down to 8 men and (possibly) on the end of a massive twatting score wise would wake a few people up.

jas :)

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I didn''t see any of the game (don''t have Sky) but the beeb site reckons Chelski were rather unlucky - but I''m pretty sure most of the footballing world will be quite pleased: whatever else, the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.

[/quote]

I am far from convinced that Barcelona are the best club in Europe alongside Man Utd. Their attacking style is remarkably limited considering the options they have

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

all it needed was for the referee to show a straight red to Ballack, Terry and Drogba and it would of bought everything into sharp focus.. chelski being down to 8 men and (possibly) on the end of a massive twatting score wise would wake a few people up.

jas :)

[/quote]Except the incidents happened after the game and red cards would have made jot all difference... [;)] Except for Ballack, mind, who did seem to want to give the ref a great big hug after waving away his penalty appeal....Just seen the report on SSN, hilarious that Lampard says that he doesn''t think any questions should be asked about the behaviour of their players after the whistle.  There''s maybe one or two penalties in there, but none of them are ''clear-cut'' and according to the stats Chavski only had 29% possession! The sending off was probably the biggest injustice of the evening, Anelka seems to trip over himself! And the goal............ Essien''s got shit on Gossy............ [;)]

[quote user="Danielt88"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I didn''t see any of the game (don''t have Sky) but the beeb site reckons Chelski were rather unlucky - but I''m pretty sure most of the footballing world will be quite pleased: whatever else, the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.

[/quote]

I am far from convinced that Barcelona are the best club in Europe alongside Man Utd. Their attacking style is remarkably limited considering the options they have

[/quote]

Couldnt agree more.. To be a truly great side you have to be good in attack and defense which they are not and as soon as they come up against a really good defence they seem to run out of ideas. They look so good in La Liga because the focal point of the game is attacking and they come up against alot of weak defences. I can see Man Utd retaining to be honest and I hope they do.

Its not ridicolus at all.

Some idiot ref has just cost these the guys a potentially once in a lifetime opportunity to Win (or appear for those new players) in a champions league final!!! Emotions are high and I fully respect and understand how they behaved,

I would be more interested in seeing what happens to the Ref. He should be struck for off that incompent display. Sadly UEFA will probably close ranks and nothing will happen :(

Hang on.  Never mind the details or the rights and wrongs on the night.

This is Chelsea complaining about cheating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What!!   Have they no sense of shame or embarrassment.  Drogba complaing about cheating shows a complete lack of irony and self awareness.

I cannot, and would not, condone the actions of the Chelsea players - what happended to the "Respect" code all players signed up to?? -  but having seen the refs performance I''m sure I''d have been upset too. Looking at the 4 penalty decisions:

1. Free kick outside box.  I assumed the ref had called it back to the first offence near the 18 yard line, but then the kick was taken near the goal line where the last offence was - and that offence was inside the box (as evident by the marks on the pitch). Penalty should have been given if that''s the offence he blew for.

2. Drogba. Shirt pulling for 2 secs then leg across. Penalty. Refs assistant should have given that. And the player should have walked.

3. Pique handball. Nailed on penalty - even Piques face as he turned away expected the ref to be pointing to the spot.

4. Handball in injury time. 50/50 seen then given, seen them not given.

By the way, that ref was the one sent home from the world cup after failing to allow an Italy goal against Romania. Can''t believe they give these games to referees not used to handling big games many times a season.

All that said, Chelsea had enough chances to win without the referees errors. I expect thatsome of Drogbas anger was in acknowledgment that he should have put his 1on1 away...

Still, a Man Utg Vs Barcelona final is the one I''d rather see anyway, so all fine by me.

For those of you who want to see these sort of matches but don''t want to pay rip-off Sky there is a way. Get a sat dish & decoder and point it to 28.2E. You''ll get the European set up then. I saw the match on German Sat.1.Anyway, did anyone see the totally unmarked player who scored the Barcelona goal? He should have been marked very closely. More to teh point, there''s a Chelsea player a short distance from that player just wandering around. HE should have closed the player right down. Then again, I''m an NCFC fan, so couldn''t really give a monkey''s.

Hope they apply the same punishment given to Portugals players at Euro 2000 when they lost to France with a last minute Zidane penalty. Some were banned for several months by UEFA.

I can''t help think of the comments made by those TV pundits when Norwich had pens turned down, THATS FOOTBALL, GET ON WITH IT. Hell I Larf

Yet another example of a game ruined by bad refereeing decisions.

Its about time that a referee is sitting in the stands in front of a TV monitor with the ability to look at replays and is radio linked to the referee on the pitch so that big decisions can be got correct!

We were crap this season but some of the decisions that unjustly went against us was incredible!

Yes, terrible referee.

But, only the Pique penalty was clear. The ball blasted at E''to''s shoulder wasn''t even close. OF the other two, Chelsea might have expected to be given one, but not both. And given how often Drogba dives, no surprise the referee was cautious.

So, Chelsea should have had two penalties.

There again, Barcelona had an equally clear penalty denied in the first leg (Henry). Plus Abidal sent off for a dive / falling over his own feet by Anelka.

Two penalties not given against one penalty not given and one ridiculous sending off. Over all, the incompetence pretty much evened out. The solution for Chelsea might not have been to sit back on a one gaol lead against ten men?

And if Chelsea aren''t banned for their behaviour afterwards (and predictably their fans are now publishing the ref''s home address and issuing death threats as they did the last time Chelsea lost to Barcelona) then what does a club have to do to get banned? Actually shoot the referee?