Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

Jamie C

Obviously we are all willing for JC to start scoring the goals we know he''s capable of. I was at Donny the other week when he was denied by Sullivan (being generous) then he missed the 2 at Wolves.

Now the question is does he miss these chances during training? if so I can''t believe that he would be picked if not what''s different? Is he trying to hard?

Maybe we need one of those sport mind mender type(sorry can''t spell phsycologist) to sort him out or maybe now he has a big man along side him the goals will start to flow (here''s hoping)

Go get''em Jamie

Or is he finished as a player?

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Obviously we are all willing for JC to start scoring the goals we know he''s capable of. I was at Donny the other week when he was denied by Sullivan (being generous) then he missed the 2 at Wolves.

Now the question is does he miss these chances during training? if so I can''t believe that he would be picked if not what''s different? Is he trying to hard?

Maybe we need one of those sport mind mender type(sorry can''t spell phsycologist) to sort him out or maybe now he has a big man along side him the goals will start to flow (here''s hoping)

Go get''em Jamie

[/quote]

Only with the small minded, ungrateful and nasty minded supporter think that.

The others amongst us know he''ll come good.

[/quote]

Hate to say it, and I know it will annoy many people (especially Wiz), but in my opinion Jamie Cureton is one of (if not the) worst player in our squad. The only thing he has ever been able to do is get into space to create opportunities for himself to score. He can''t even do that anymore. Besides, when he does get opportunities, more often than not he misses them when a striker really shouldn''t miss.

As much as I love the fact he has the passion for our club, he is far from good enough. I actually think of Mark Fotheringham as a more useful player on the pitch than Cureton.

Even so, I hope he miracously ''ups his game'' and proves me wrong. Would be excellent. But I very much doubt that will happen.

Too much is expected of Jamie Cureton at this level.

He was, and still probably is a decent goalscorer at lower league level. He was not seen as a prospect first time round at Norwich. WE let him go.

He has had a decent career scoring goals in the lower leagues. Now, on the basis of one good season at Colchester he has been elevated into a goal machine a la Earnshaw.

He is no Earnie.

It is said of Earnshaw that he is Championship level, not Premiership. For Cureton, go down a league.

Jamie''s age is not on his side.

On this one I agree with Roeder.

We all like Cureton for his loyalty. His return here has had some good moments. He should not be our first choice striker. 

Intereting thought on Earnshaw. Nobody ever got on his back for missing chances but his chance to goals ratio at Norwich was far worse than Curetons. He missed loads of chances playing up front for us.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Go get''em Jamie

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do admire your love for JC Wiz....its admirable. I have a friend, who still to this day, this that Ade Akinbiyi is our best ever player! We used to have hours of arguments with him firing questions like....."Who''s better...Akinbiyi or Cantona? Easy....Ade...." Oh memories....Im now gonna pop him a text!

But regarding JC....he is yella n green thru and thru etc....but he is missing valuable chances that could eventually cost us. Im guessing if it was any one else doing this you would berate him just like some do with a Fozzy misplaced pass.

For the record though...If i was Gunny....I would start him today. Would be a "mahooooooosive" vote of confidence to the boy and hopefully he can take one of them 4 chances.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Too much is expected of Jamie Cureton at this level.

He was, and still probably is a decent goalscorer at lower league level. He was not seen as a prospect first time round at Norwich. WE let him go.

He has had a decent career scoring goals in the lower leagues. Now, on the basis of one good season at Colchester he has been elevated into a goal machine a la Earnshaw.

He is no Earnie.

It is said of Earnshaw that he is Championship level, not Premiership. For Cureton, go down a league.

Jamie''s age is not on his side.

On this one I agree with Roeder.

We all like Cureton for his loyalty. His return here has had some good moments. He should not be our first choice striker. 

[/quote]

Lets nail this myth now, Jamie was let go by Mike Walker, not because of his ability, but rather because of his then spoilt attitude, Jamie happily admits to this these days.

[quote user="jbghost"]Intereting thought on Earnshaw. Nobody ever got on his back for missing chances but his chance to goals ratio at Norwich was far worse than Curetons. He missed loads of chances playing up front for us.[/quote]

You cant compare Earnie and Cureton. Earnie would be worth a goal if he had 2/3 chances.

Earnie''s record - 27 in 45.

Curo''s record - 19 in 88......

So yeah Earnies goal to game ratio is far worse......

[quote user="jbghost"]Intereting thought on Earnshaw. Nobody ever got on his back for missing chances but his chance to goals ratio at Norwich was far worse than Curetons. He missed loads of chances playing up front for us.[/quote]But his goals to game ratio was far superior to Jamies at approx 1 goal in every 1.9 games opposed to Jamies (approx) 1 in 4.I''d forgotten just how many chances Earnie did miss but it''s clear that if he could afford to miss that many and still return the far superior goals to games record that he did then he must have been in a position to get those chances far more frequently than we can remember.  It''s been argued in Jamies defence this week that he is still capable of getting into these scoring positions but if you accept Earnie missed hatfuls of chances too for his goal return there is a strong argument to say that JC probably isn''t as effective at getting into a scoring position and creating a chance than some might think. Certainly nowhere near the class of Earnie at it.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Go get''em Jamie

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wiz, I admire your devotion to Jaime, but you have to accept that calling those of us who disagree with you as small minded, ungrateful and nasty minded betrays a lack of objectivity. I have nothing against him personally, but I do have a problem with his failure to execute his primary function of scoring goals. If you park your emotional attachment you must accept that a return of 1 goal in 18 appearances (and, yes, I know a significant number were as sub) is not that of a top class striker, or, indeed, of a mediocre one.

Previously he was worth persevering with simply because we had few other options (although Lupoli could have been given more chance), but that argument no longer applies. We cannot afford to play a clearly out of form player, however popular,when we  are in such a tenuous position. Yes, if you play him week after week he will eventually score, just as an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare, but we don''t have the luxury of time at present. We need results now.

Finally I will posit a scenario that I put to another Jaime zealot on another thread. Let''s assume that for a period of weeks Marshall regularly fumbled to gift the opposition a goal which cost us points. would you say "Drop  him"(assuming we had a decent reserve keeper) or would you say "He''s bleeds yellow and green and he''ll come good".The other poster suddenly disappeared, but hopefully you will give me an answer.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

When?

He''s been back a year and a half and there has been no sign of it.

Can''t keep waiting for him to finally find what he''s never had. Unless we''re happy to float around the bottom of the league table, or even lower.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Go get''em Jamie

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wiz, I admire your devotion to Jaime, but you have to accept that calling those of us who disagree with you as small minded, ungrateful and nasty minded betrays a lack of objectivity. I have nothing against him personally, but I do have a problem with his failure to execute his primary function of scoring goals. If you park your emotional attachment you must accept that a return of 1 goal in 18 appearances (and, yes, I know a significant number were as sub) is not that of a top class striker, or, indeed, of a mediocre one.

Previously he was worth persevering with simply because we had few other options (although Lupoli could have been given more chance), but that argument no longer applies. We cannot afford to play a clearly out of form player, however popular,when we  are in such a tenuous position. Yes, if you play him week after week he will eventually score, just as an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare, but we don''t have the luxury of time at present. We need results now.

Finally I will posit a scenario that I put to another Jaime zealot on another thread. Let''s assume that for a period of weeks Marshall regularly fumbled to gift the opposition a goal which cost us points. would you say "Drop  him"(assuming we had a decent reserve keeper) or would you say "He''s bleeds yellow and green and he''ll come good".The other poster suddenly disappeared, but hopefully you will give me an answer.

[/quote]

All fair points Beauseant, but, I get sick and tired of seeing thread after thread of nasty worded posts against the player, but very little praise if he plays well, apart from not scoring, as he did at Wolves (even Gunny said so!)

Despite Marshy''s two gifts at Wolves, and apart from a light hearted jibe from me, have I called for his head.........no, I recognise his contribution over a season.

Likewise with Curo, Rat Face badly damaged Jamies confidence, and 6 seperate nasty threadsc on Tuesday evening wouldn''t have helped him much either!

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

When?

Can''t keep waiting for him to finally find what he''s never had. Unless we''re happy to float around the bottom of the league table, or even lower.

[/quote]

Oh what a short memory you have GJP, take away Jamies goals last season and we''d be a League 1 side now![:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

When?

[/quote]

Oh what a short memory you have GJP, take away Jamies goals last season and we''d be a League 1 side now![:|]

[/quote]

Had Jamie taken the chances he should have done then perhaps we wouldn''t have even been thinking about League 1 last season. But he didn''t. He was unreliable infront of goal and that hasn''t changed this season.  

For a player who is meant to be on the pitch to score goals more than anything else his record last season was very poor.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Oh what a short memory you have GJP, take away Jamies goals last season and we''d be a League 1 side now![:|][/quote]This is what you said earlier today when someone said "Delia cares" on another thread wiz.....

"No doubt she does Bly, but she ain''t up to the job no more"

Don''t you think the same is possible in Jamie''s case?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

When?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Had Jamie taken the chances he should have done then perhaps we wouldn''t have even been thinking about League 1 last season. But he didn''t. He was unreliable infront of goal and that hasn''t changed this season.  

For a player who is meant to be on the pitch to score goals more than anything else his record last season was very poor.

[/quote]

As were/are our defenders who can''t defend.

And you still can''t give JC any credit for saving our arses last year can you? thankfully it seems Bryan Gunn can!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

When?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And you still can''t give JC any credit for saving our arses last year can you? thankfully it seems Bryan Gunn can!

[/quote]

Saving our arses? It was some of his terrible misses that put us in that position.

Bryan Gunn will show a little faith to keep everyone happy. But you can be sure that the new management team will know he''s a weak link.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Oh what a short memory you have GJP, take away Jamies goals last season and we''d be a League 1 side now![:|][/quote]This is what you said earlier today when someone said "Delia cares" on another thread wiz.....

"No doubt she does Bly, but she ain''t up to the job no more"

Don''t you think the same is possible in Jamie''s case?

[/quote]

No I don''t Lapps and neither does Gunny.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

When?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]What was the breakdown again Wiz, was it three against Colchester, two against Barnet and the other nine dotted around the other 40 odd games?Nine goals in 40 something league games isn''t really a good enough return in anyones book for a first choice striker to be able to claim they''ve done their bit to keep the Club up is it?Jamie just doesn''t seem able to score ''critical'' goals, the only goal in a narrow 1-0 victory or the third in a 3-2. He can get the second in a 2-0 or 3rd in a 3-1 type of goal (sometimes) but he just doesn''t seem to score important goals and that to me suggests he is lacking one of the most important qualities of a striker. How many of Jamies tally have been ''the winning goal''? And how many times has he fluffed a chance to grab us a winner?

I''d hoped his hat-trick again colchester last year would kick him back into life, but watching him now, he just seems so far off the pace.

The annoying thing is that he doesn''t try hard enough to battle. Granted, he chases... but he doesn''t challenge. He is never going to win headers against tall centre backs, but he could at least try - make it a bit more difficult for the centre back and pressurise them into an error.  

But what it boils down to is that he''s a predatory striker.

Here''s there to convert chances.

The stats prove that over the last couple of years, he misses the majority of the chances that come his way

Despite his love for the club, I think we now have other strikers that are more capable scoring goals.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

When?

[/quote]

[/quote]Now, I know you have a thing for Jamie and I can''t confess to understanding it but your above quote is simply not true. I''ve had a quick look at the scorers from January last year through until the end of the season and the times his goals actually affected the result was a 1-1 draw and the 5-2 win. Personally, I think he is not quick enough to feed off of Wes''s through balls and when he has his chances 8 times out of 10 he misses them, his time should be up as a starting striker, if he starts today, of course I''ll be happy if scores but I don''t think he should be starting.of course I now wait to be put completely wrong...

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Go get''em Jamie

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I see you''re banging on again with your "bleeds green and yellow" sneers. I assume you are referring to me with your reference to "another Jamie zealot". I disappeared because I was bored with your one dimensional point of view, your inability to read and digest more than one point in my argument (which showed that I was far from being a blinkered and dogmatic supporter of JC)  and I had to go back to work. You have your opinion on Cureton and I have mine. Neither of us will change our minds but what I have never done is sneer and insult a player who is signed up to our club.

As for comparing JC''s goal scoring record with Earnshaw as other JC negs have done on this thread why stop there, why not use other Norwich strikers as benchmarks to try and demonstrate that Cureton is not effective ? Whether any of you JC critics are prepared to accept it or not, Cureton is a proven goalscorer at this level. Like Keane now back at Spurs, strikers play to different levels of effectiveness depending upon the team, tactics and manager they are playing under. It is clear that JC far from prospered under the Roeder regime but that does not mean that his ability to find the back of the net has deserted him. I assume that all Norwich supporters hope that under them much more paternal, benevolent regime of Gunn JC will find his scoring boots again. If you read my post in response to yours the other day I said that I regarded JC as a squad player which by definition meant that I did not regard his inclusion as a starter as automatic. I added that the best people to judge are not Pink Un Posters but the new management team that watches the players in training day in and day out. If Gunn chooses to play JC from the start or bring him on as a sub then I for one defer to Gunn/Butterworth''s better judgment.

I''m off for the rest of the day now and tomorrow I shall be visiting friends. Back to work on Monday.

[quote user="Buckethead"]

What was the breakdown again Wiz, was it three against Colchester, two against Barnet and the other nine dotted around the other 40 odd games?
Nine goals in 40 something league games isn''t really a good enough return in anyones book for a first choice striker to be able to claim they''ve done their bit to keep the Club up is it?

Jamie just doesn''t seem able to score ''critical'' goals, the only goal in a narrow 1-0 victory or the third in a 3-2. He can get the second in a 2-0 or 3rd in a 3-1 type of goal (sometimes) but he just doesn''t seem to score important goals and that to me suggests he is lacking one of the most important qualities of a striker. How many of Jamies tally have been ''the winning goal''? And how many times has he fluffed a chance to grab us a winner?
[/quote]

Priceless, now it has to be ''vital and critical'' goals to please the mob............oh, just go away!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Buckethead"]What was the breakdown again Wiz, was it three against Colchester, two against Barnet and the other nine dotted around the other 40 odd games?Nine goals in 40 something league games isn''t really a good enough return in anyones book for a first choice striker to be able to claim they''ve done their bit to keep the Club up is it?Jamie just doesn''t seem able to score ''critical'' goals, the only goal in a narrow 1-0 victory or the third in a 3-2. He can get the second in a 2-0 or 3rd in a 3-1 type of goal (sometimes) but he just doesn''t seem to score important goals and that to me suggests he is lacking one of the most important qualities of a striker. How many of Jamies tally have been ''the winning goal''? And how many times has he fluffed a chance to grab us a winner?[/quote]

Priceless, now it has to be ''vital and critical'' goals to please the mob............oh, just go away!

[/quote]Wiz, I think the reason are referring to ''vital and critical'' goals is because you stated if it wasn''t for his goals last season, we''d be in league 1, and people are differing to agree with you.

[quote user="Billabong Willytickle"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Buckethead"]What was the breakdown again Wiz, was it three against Colchester, two against Barnet and the other nine dotted around the other 40 odd games?Nine goals in 40 something league games isn''t really a good enough return in anyones book for a first choice striker to be able to claim they''ve done their bit to keep the Club up is it?Jamie just doesn''t seem able to score ''critical'' goals, the only goal in a narrow 1-0 victory or the third in a 3-2. He can get the second in a 2-0 or 3rd in a 3-1 type of goal (sometimes) but he just doesn''t seem to score important goals and that to me suggests he is lacking one of the most important qualities of a striker. How many of Jamies tally have been ''the winning goal''? And how many times has he fluffed a chance to grab us a winner?[/quote]

[/quote]Wiz, I think the reason are referring to ''vital and critical'' goals is because you stated if it wasn''t for his goals last season, we''d be in league 1, and people are differing to agree with you.[/quote]Thank you BW that''s exactly why I brought it up.Good strikers win games. It''s a simple but very harsh truth and my point is Jamie doesn''t win us games he is a ''Bottler'', a ''Choker'', he knows it and that just preys on his mind and makes him worse.

Go get''em Jamie

[/quote]

"Was gorn on en traynun Nael?"

Sorry could''nt resist!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLsh9QtZMg

OTBC!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Oh what a short memory you have , take away Jamies goals last season and we''d be a League 1 side now![:|][/quote][quote]And you still can''t give JC any credit for saving our arses last year can you? thankfully it seems Bryan Gunn can![/quote]Wiz,This argument does not hold up to closer inspection.Curo scored two in the first league game of the season, and then didn''t hit the back of the net again until another 9 league games had passed by. During that 9 game period we lost 7, drew 1 and won 1. WTF was Cureton doing from a goalscoring perspective during those games to ''Save our Arses?"...The following 4 games, he manages a goal in 2 of them which is ok, but then did nothing for another 5 games.The 3 after that he scores twice, but then again does nothing for a further 6 games (admittedly not getting much more than 20 minutes in each of those)He scores 3 in 3 after that, the nothing for the next 3.At the close of the season, he scored a hat-trick, followed by another 6 games of not scoring.So out of the 41 games he played in, he did nothing as a goalscorer in 32 of those games.What''s more, he did very little from a provision perspective either, it''s not like he was setting up loads of others for goals either.Can you honestly tell me you feel that contributing goals in just 9 games a season is acceptable for a striker because I certainly don''t?Jamie''s problem is a total lack of consistency most of the time, leading to long, barren periods where he does nothing, but then he goes and gets 2 or 3 in a game, before doing nothing for another 4-5 games, and what teams really needs is consistency, not sporadic performances of goal gluts.If Jamie scored a goal in 15 different games, it would have far more chance of helping us, than scoring the same amount of goals in 5-6 games. We might win those 5-6 convincingly, but be ineffective in the other 9-10, which overall causes problems.The stats don''t lie here Wiz, Cureton does not perform frequently enough at a good level to be a regular choice, particularly at the minute when he''s having his worst season on record. If it were virtually any other player in this position, most fans would be calling for his head, but apparently because it''s Cureton, we''ll give leeway.Sorry, but I can''t subscribe to that sort of thinking, and neither should Gunny. It wouldn''t even matter if Cureton scored a goal or two today, because his career record shows that chances are that he''ll simply go another set of games without doing anything...