Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

Woolpack on Golden Ball Street has closed - temporarily?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I am feeling the loss of the Rosary.  Great post-football pub.  Nowhere else like it over Thorpe way - it might have to be the Red Lion on Bishopsgate from now on, and that''s opposite the Bridge House where people stab dogs to death... so not really a great set of options.  Maybe the Horse and Dray - wrong side of Carrow Road but a nice pub nonetheless.  I can''t stand the Coach and Horses, it''s impersonal and somehow smug.

[/quote]The coach and horses does brew some damn fine ales there aren''t many better than chb.Perhaps the utter uselessness of of the football played at carrow road is somehow having a negative effect on the surrounding pubs! since i started drinking the clarence harbour, kingsway, ferry boat, woolpack, roasry, steam packet and even half of riverside have closed!Does anywone know what the mustard pot is like? never tried that one

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Does anywone know what the mustard pot is like? never tried that one[/quote]My mate lives behind there, we watched the final game of our Ashes victory in there and it was dead... its a ''local'' pub... enough said, I think...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Does anywone know what the mustard pot is like? never tried that one[/quote]My mate lives behind there, we watched the final game of our Ashes victory in there and it was dead... its a ''local'' pub... enough said, I think...[/quote]Sadly that probably means it''s days are numbered then

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]Some politicians speak of a classless society, Labour are doing their darndest to make us a "publess" society it would seem![/quote]

The Opera gets funding from the government because it isn''t financially viable on it''s own but it is valued culturally, are pubs not part of our culture? Perhaps struggling pubs should be able to apply for lottery funding!Another simple thing the government could do would be to increase tax on supermarket alcohol whilst decreasing tax on pub''s until they are equal in price. That would not cost them a penny in lost revenue!Sorry to get political on a football forum but this does really anger me!

Mr Chops-the dog in question was stabbed away from the Bridge House. The landlord and landlady when told of its plight, took the dog back to the pub to try and save its life. Sadly its injuries were to severe and it was put to sleep the next day. The Bridge House is not that bad as a watering place prior to the game.

If you hadn''t already worked it out it appears that the millions of non smokers who were kept out of pubs for fear of inhaling secondary smoke just didn''t exist (surprise surprise). More lies from New labour in order to pass yet another ill researched law stifling our rights.

[quote user="The Prisoner"]If you hadn''t already worked it out it appears that the millions of non smokers who were kept out of pubs for fear of inhaling secondary smoke just didn''t exist (surprise surprise). More lies from New labour in order to pass yet another ill researched law stifling our rights. [/quote]Diddums...

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="jimidack"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]What? The Rosary has closed? That''s a pisser, good little pub that, where I meet a few of my mates for a round of darts and bar billiards when I''m back in town... Nice people in there, always really friendly even to ''outsiders'' like me [:)] Hope whoever takes over keeps the bar billiards.....
[/quote]

If you like bar billiards and a good pint, come to golden star! My regular haunt is a great friendly pub that only occasionally gets hit by cars speeding down duke street...

I could do adverts me!
[/quote]
Fear not, the Star is by far one of the best pubs in the City and was my own regular haunt in the summer of 2006, despite actually living in Costessey... nearly always go there when I''m in town too, and long live it! Within a week of moving to Manchester I''d randomly bumped into a girl who''d worked in there over the summer who''d also moved... was very strange!
[/quote]

I seem to recall that the landlord got into the national press because he marketed one of the beers from the pub''s microbrewery as "wife beater bitter". Can anyone else remember that or am I going senile?

[/quote]

No, you are not going senile!  I seem to remember that the landlord at the time was a guy called Pete Turner and as well as ''Wife Beater Bitter'' the brewery also featured a tipple called ''Old Horizontal''.  Think that it made the News of the World because of its un-PC nature.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Coelho"]
It''s all about the Golden Star... that''s got bar billiards too, Monkey. As has the King''s Head on Magdalen Street, just past the flyover on the right as you walk into town... nice little pub with a very good selection of ales.
[/quote]
Aye, I''ve been there since the table was put in, was a master stroke... In fact, I think I played you? Its usually hard to remember trips to the Star........ [:)]

Kings Head is mint too... there''s been a sudden revival in bar billiards in Norwich it seems... there''s a couple of pubs here in Manchester that have it but have yet to find them....
[/quote]

kings head sounds like its had a revamp! it weasnt that long ago you were lucky to leave with your teeth still in your mouth if you went in there.... i might check t out some time.

jas :)

Jas - I think the Kings Head recently won the CAMRA Pub of The Year Award - so things have definitely improved in recent years.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Coelho"]
It''s all about the Golden Star... that''s got bar billiards too, Monkey. As has the King''s Head on Magdalen Street, just past the flyover on the right as you walk into town... nice little pub with a very good selection of ales.
[/quote]
Aye, I''ve been there since the table was put in, was a master stroke... In fact, I think I played you? Its usually hard to remember trips to the Star........ [:)]

Kings Head is mint too... there''s been a sudden revival in bar billiards in Norwich it seems... there''s a couple of pubs here in Manchester that have it but have yet to find them....
[/quote]

kings head sounds like its had a revamp! it weasnt that long ago you were lucky to leave with your teeth still in your mouth if you went in there.... i might check t out some time.

jas :)

[/quote]

great pub, has many ales and is fully refitted within 2 years ago.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="jimidack"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]What? The Rosary has closed? That''s a pisser, good little pub that, where I meet a few of my mates for a round of darts and bar billiards when I''m back in town... Nice people in there, always really friendly even to ''outsiders'' like me [:)] Hope whoever takes over keeps the bar billiards.....
[/quote]

If you like bar billiards and a good pint, come to golden star! My regular haunt is a great friendly pub that only occasionally gets hit by cars speeding down duke street...

I could do adverts me!
[/quote]
Fear not, the Star is by far one of the best pubs in the City and was my own regular haunt in the summer of 2006, despite actually living in Costessey... nearly always go there when I''m in town too, and long live it! Within a week of moving to Manchester I''d randomly bumped into a girl who''d worked in there over the summer who''d also moved... was very strange!
[/quote]

I seem to recall that the landlord got into the national press because he marketed one of the beers from the pub''s microbrewery as "wife beater bitter". Can anyone else remember that or am I going senile?

[/quote]

No, you are not going senile!  I seem to remember that the landlord at the time was a guy called Pete Turner and as well as ''Wife Beater Bitter'' the brewery also featured a tipple called ''Old Horizontal''.  Think that it made the News of the World because of its un-PC nature.

[/quote]

Spot on your Lordship, his name was indeed Pete Turner. I think that wife beater bitter had to be renamed GBH as a result of the objections! Happy days[:D][B]

The KH on Magdalen Street is definitely worth a visit for any lover of ales - whether of the East Anglian real ale variety, or Czech and other quality foreign bottled beers. You are 99% certain (you can''t be 100% certain of anything!) to emerge with all your teeth, hair and limbs intact these days too - the owners made sure of removing all the feral scum by banishing crappy fizzy beers and lagers from the pub. The pub is run by Jon and Roland, two very enthusiastic real ale afficianados, and they always give a friendly, warm welcome to all customers.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="The Prisoner"]If you hadn''t already worked it out it appears that the millions of non smokers who were kept out of pubs for fear of inhaling secondary smoke just didn''t exist (surprise surprise). More lies from New labour in order to pass yet another ill researched law stifling our rights. [/quote]Diddums...tosser[/quote]

[quote user="The Prisoner"]If you hadn''t already worked it out it appears that the millions of non smokers who were kept out of pubs for fear of inhaling secondary smoke just didn''t exist (surprise surprise). More lies from New labour in order to pass yet another ill researched law stifling our rights. [/quote]Rubbish, "if you hadn''t already worked it out" many many people prefer going out now because you can actually breathe properly in a pub, and also don''t go home stinking of other peoples smoke, oh yes and there is also that little thing called passive smoking which can seriously effect your health even if you don''t smoke.  I for one salute the Labour Party for introducing this ban and long may it continue.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="jimidack"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]What? The Rosary has closed? That''s a pisser, good little pub that, where I meet a few of my mates for a round of darts and bar billiards when I''m back in town... Nice people in there, always really friendly even to ''outsiders'' like me [:)] Hope whoever takes over keeps the bar billiards.....[/quote]If you like bar billiards and a good pint, come to golden star! My regular haunt is a great friendly pub that only occasionally gets hit by cars speeding down duke street...I could do adverts me![/quote]Fear not, the Star is by far one of the best pubs in the City and was my own regular haunt in the summer of 2006, despite actually living in Costessey... nearly always go there when I''m in town too, and long live it! Within a week of moving to Manchester I''d randomly bumped into a girl who''d worked in there over the summer who''d also moved... was very strange![/quote]Was her name Polly? And you probably have met me, I worked there over the summer of ''06!! Infact I may be there tonight and pass on my compliments to the land lady!

[quote user="nolegs"][quote user="The Prisoner"]If you hadn''t already worked it out it appears that the millions of non smokers who were kept out of pubs for fear of inhaling secondary smoke just didn''t exist (surprise surprise). More lies from New labour in order to pass yet another ill researched law stifling our rights. [/quote]

tosser[/quote]Cheers nolegs quality reply certainly made me laugh.Go out one night or if that''s a bit too adventurous ask a taxi driver or a publican how business is. Do you honestly believe that removing vending machines from pubs will stop U18''s smoking or that if they hide all the cigarettes from view at you local supermarket people will forget they smoke and not buy them? Labour do.If going out is a bit much why not get yourself a copy of The Bill of Rights Act 1689 and check out how many statutory laws New Labour have introduced which are in conflict with your rights under Constitutional law that should keep you busy for a while.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="The Prisoner"]If you hadn''t already worked it out it appears that the millions of non smokers who were kept out of pubs for fear of inhaling secondary smoke just didn''t exist (surprise surprise). More lies from New labour in order to pass yet another ill researched law stifling our rights. [/quote]Rubbish, "if you hadn''t already worked it out" many many people prefer going out now because you can actually breathe properly in a pub, and also don''t go home stinking of other peoples smoke, oh yes and there is also that little thing called passive smoking which can seriously effect your health even if you don''t smoke.  I for one salute the Labour Party for introducing this ban and long may it continue.[/quote]you can count on one hand the amount of landlords in norfolk who thinks that the smoking ban is good for business, a lot of them may prefer it smoke-free but i bet that if they had the choice of being a smoking pub or a no-smoking pub i know which one the majority would choose. all of those non-smokers who, 2 years ago, said that they would now come out more often now that they can be in a smoke-free enviroment haven''t showed up in the numbers they promised. it should have been for the landlord to decide whether or not to have been smoke free, some would have chosen it, some would have stayed the way they were, and some would have left it up to the customers to decide before choosing which way they wanted to be, like in a democratic kind of way, and then we would now have been left with a mixture of pubs, some for smokers, some for non-smokers and some for people who dont care, and everyone would have been happy.but no, we are now left with empty pubs with less atmosphere because half of the customers have to keep nipping out every half hour in the freezing cold. i hope you are satisfied ;) 

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="nolegs"][quote user="The Prisoner"]If you hadn''t already worked it out it appears that the millions of non smokers who were kept out of pubs for fear of inhaling secondary smoke just didn''t exist (surprise surprise). More lies from New labour in order to pass yet another ill researched law stifling our rights. [/quote]

tosser[/quote]Cheers nolegs quality reply certainly made me laugh.Go out one night or if that''s a bit too adventurous ask a taxi driver or a publican how business is. Do you honestly believe that removing vending machines from pubs will stop U18''s smoking or that if they hide all the cigarettes from view at you local supermarket people will forget they smoke and not buy them? Labour do.If going out is a bit much why not get yourself a copy of The Bill of Rights Act 1689 and check out how many statutory laws New Labour have introduced which are in conflict with your rights under Constitutional law that should keep you busy for a while.[/quote]Heaven forbid someone should have stopped people''s democratic right to breathe carcinogenic and stinky fumes all over other people in enclosed areas.  Bad New Labour!

[quote user="jimidack"]Was her name Polly? And you probably have met me, I worked there over the summer of ''06!! Infact I may be there tonight and pass on my compliments to the land lady![/quote]It was indeed Polly... Ah, pretty, pretty Polly... [:)] Saw her only a month or so ago, but I was bladdered and can''t remember what was said...I probably have met you, but probably paid more attention to the lady barmaids... [;)]Give my regards to Winston!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="nolegs"][quote user="The Prisoner"]If you hadn''t already worked it out it appears that the millions of non smokers who were kept out of pubs for fear of inhaling secondary smoke just didn''t exist (surprise surprise). More lies from New labour in order to pass yet another ill researched law stifling our rights.
[/quote]

tosser
[/quote]

Cheers nolegs quality reply certainly made me laugh.

Go out one night or if that''s a bit too adventurous ask a taxi driver or a publican how business is. Do you honestly believe that removing vending machines from pubs will stop U18''s smoking or that if they hide all the cigarettes from view at you local supermarket people will forget they smoke and not buy them? Labour do.
If going out is a bit much why not get yourself a copy of The Bill of Rights Act 1689 and check out how many statutory laws New Labour have introduced which are in conflict with your rights under Constitutional law that should keep you busy for a while.
[/quote]

Heaven forbid someone should have stopped people''s democratic right to breathe carcinogenic and stinky fumes all over other people in enclosed areas.  Bad New Labour!

[/quote]

It''s a pity these fools can''t just give up the coffin nails. I find it amazing the frequency with which the serious addicts have to keep leaving the warmth of a comfy pub just to suck down another few lungfuls of toxic smoke. No doubt they will expect the NHS to do all the work for free when they require amputations, lung surgery, open heart surgery and major cancer operations etc.

I have a mate who was having lunch in the Woolpack yesterday.

Apparently at 2.30ish the staff came out & told everyone to finish thier food & drink up asap as they had been ordered to shut the doors immediately because they had been closed down.

Very very sad

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]

No doubt they will expect the NHS to do all the work for free when they require amputations, lung surgery, open heart surgery and major cancer operations etc.

[/quote]Even the most ''non-smoker friendly'' research ( York Uni) into the cost of providing healthcare for smoking related illnesses concluded that smokers cost the NHS approx £1.6Bn pa a large increase on every other organisations estimates and calculationsA lot of money granted but not a lot when you consider that the Government raises an extra £8Bn pa from excise duties on tobacco products.It is a fallacy that smokers cost the NHS.Alcohol abuse on the other hand...........

The pubs that have been closing down were horrible dirty places. Rosary Tavern is/was terrible. Was in the Heartsease pub a couple of months ago and that was horrible too. People just have higher standards these days and don''t want to spend time in run down dirty pubs.

[quote user="BringBackIwan"]

I have a mate who was having lunch in the Woolpack yesterday.

Apparently at 2.30ish the staff came out & told everyone to finish thier food & drink up asap as they had been ordered to shut the doors immediately because they had been closed down.

Very very sad[/quote]

Yesterday? I went to see if it was open Wednesday night and it was shut then. Apparently it was shut the day before too?

But yes, sad it''s closed, it''s one of my favourite pubs.