Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

FINALLY!! A london away match on a saturday!

anyone else really looking forward to charlton next saturday? london on the train is the best, beer cracked open on the 9am from norwich!

we should try and get all city fans in a pub near london bridge...there is one dead opp london dungeons. there arent any pubs near the ground so best to drink near london bridge.

and dont forget if we play crap, the football is only 90 minutes out of the whole day out with your mates!!

CTID. OTBC

[quote user="glove1"]

anyone else really looking forward to charlton next saturday? london on the train is the best, beer cracked open on the 9am from norwich!

we should try and get all city fans in a pub near london bridge...there is one dead opp london dungeons. there arent any pubs near the ground so best to drink near london bridge.

and dont forget if we play crap, the football is only 90 minutes out of the whole day out with your mates!!

CTID. OTBC

[/quote]

I think you mean Saturday week LOL [:D]

But yes, I''m going on the train too with some mates. Coming up to Norwich from Lowestoft on the 07:42, arriving 08:25 (provided they''re not running late!) and getting on the Norwich to London at 08:30 so we should, all being well, get there at 10:20. With one or two beers consumed on the way at our leisure! [B][B]

We should then be hitting Wetherspoons, which as I recall isn''t too far away from the station. Should be a good day, but it''ll be even better if we can come away with our name in the draw for the next round - not often that happens is it!

We''re getting the 20:30 back to Norwich, what about you?

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="glove1"]

CTID. OTBC

[/quote]

But yes, I''m going on the train too with some mates. Coming up to Norwich from Lowestoft on the 07:42, arriving 08:25 (provided they''re not running late!) and getting on the Norwich to London at 08:30 so we should, all being well, get there at 10:20. With one or two beers consumed on the way at our leisure! [B][B]

We should then be hitting Wetherspoons, which as I recall isn''t too far away from the station. Should be a good day, but it''ll be even better if we can come away with our name in the draw for the next round - not often that happens is it!

[/quote]

You''re in London with a few hours to spare and you''re off to a spoons! Why not go for a wonder and find a proper pub with some character, it might cost an extra 50p a pint, but it''s better than sitting above Liverpool St. in a dirty old Wetherspoons.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="glove1"]

CTID. OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''re in London with a few hours to spare and you''re off to a spoons! Why not go for a wonder and find a proper pub with some character, it might cost an extra 50p a pint, but it''s better than sitting above Liverpool St. in a dirty old Wetherspoons.

[/quote]

Because some pubs don''t allow children in, do they. We know that Wetherspoons do, so that''s where we''ll be going.

paul green - that is my point, if city fans drink at the pubs near london bridge and then get the train to charlton nearer kick off. if any capital canaries are on here..... you got any pubs you know are worth a look?

oh and i guess at least 2500 fans, our allocation is near 4000 the lady at the box office said

Loads of good pubs near London Bridge and round Borough market. Slight word of caution though I think i''m right in saying that both Millwall and West Ham are also at home that day in which case it could be a bit lively and heavily policed round there!I agree with the main point of this thread though. Saturday London games are a great day out and its a shame that these days they seem to almost deliberately make sure all our London games are evening games!

What tube station is nearest to The Valley, i know there''s an overground railway but is that included within the travelcard?

Not sure theres any tube station particularly close to the Valley. possibly Greenwich if any?Travelcard should be fine so long as it covers you for the right zone (I think!)

Not wishing to state the bleeding obvious, but the closest train is Charlton on the overground - its 4 stops from London Bridge, which in turn is a 15 minute walk along Bishopgate from Liverpool St.  Its zone 3 Travelcard, and it does cover tube and overground. 

Good for your for taking your kids, but I''m not sure you have thought this one through. As someone who worked 5 minutes from there for 15 years, the Wetherspoons (The Hamilton Hall) is one of London''s most famous football violence spots.  You might get away with it, and I''m sure you''ll say we''ve not had problems in the past, but believe me I have seen dozens of proper scraps there on saturday afternoon, and for evening games.  With it being FA Cup, a lot of awaydays, 4,000 Southend coming in for Chelsea game, Millwall and West Ham both at home, its no place for kids.  Do yourself a favour and have a look at www.beerintheeveningc.com and find yourself a nice local.  The Magpie for example is 100 yards across the road but will be empty.  You don''t need to settle for a dump like that Wetherspoons, and more importantly your kids will be safe.

we normally do the ''football tourist'' thing...... drink on the train all the way, tube to covent garden for a few more beers, walk to leicester square for a few more then tube to london bridge for youve guessed it... a few more!

and you cant beat an away day with your mates on the train, especially going through ipshit!

with all this drinking on the train going on I''m so hoping I stay 0430 spare (means I don''t do owt but sit about as cover). if you''re planning on going overground to the valley, you''re better off buying a ticket right through, you''ll find it''s cheaper than a day travelcard. nice work about the group save tickets (3 or 4 people traveling together all day, 1 goes free with group save 3, 2 go free with group save 4), just remember if you do come back separately your ticket becomes invalid and it''ll cost you. Oh I love when that happens, ching ching!!!!

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="glove1"]

CTID. OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

theres some gooduns round Covent garden and the Tub goes from Liverpool street... plan your time and you can still get to the game ontime.

jas :)

Round Liverpool Street, The Magpie is a decent boozer with some really good ales. The George is a good pub with food and a good selection of lagers. The place I would avoid is Hamilton Hall.

[quote user="Nishclishbang"]

Good for your for taking your kids, but I''m not sure you have thought this one through. As someone who worked 5 minutes from there for 15 years, the Wetherspoons (The Hamilton Hall) is one of London''s most famous football violence spots.  You might get away with it, and I''m sure you''ll say we''ve not had problems in the past, but believe me I have seen dozens of proper scraps there on saturday afternoon, and for evening games.  With it being FA Cup, a lot of awaydays, 4,000 Southend coming in for Chelsea game, Millwall and West Ham both at home, its no place for kids.  Do yourself a favour and have a look at www.beerintheeveningc.com and find yourself a nice local.  The Magpie for example is 100 yards across the road but will be empty.  You don''t need to settle for a dump like that Wetherspoons, and more importantly your kids will be safe.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info, should just be the one kid coming with us anyway. I''ll pass the info on about The Magpie, but I''m afraid your link isn''t working as the address is www.beerintheevening.com.

Dirty Dicks is good/agreed. I do feel that Charlton is not one of the best area''s for Pubs to be fair. You will do ok at The Village area, SE7 (Swan, Bugle Horne) but not inspiring. My favourite in the London Bridge area is the Lord Cylde, Clennam St, but check out on A-Z as 10 mins from station, a gem, but only if like me you like your Pubs ''un re-constructed''. For serious drinking, and a bus ride to Charlton I guess, I would recommend any Pub on Royal Hill, SE10 (Greenwich rail/DLR). Not sure of my cloice as yet, as depends on what my Arsenal mate wants to do.