Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Fotheringham

Has his faults, granted, mainly that he plays sideways too often (and is scared to shoot!), but he really isn''t that bad a player. He is getting a lot of undeserved stick on here - he is a good footballer, with two good feet, and there is a place for him at the moment. If clingan were fit, then he should occupy that role, but at present Fozzy is doing a role for the team and needs our support.

Can I also add that I think he is one of the most natural leaders in the squad, and is a much better choice for captain than some of the names being branded around.

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]Can I also add that I think he is one of the most natural leaders in the squad, and is a much better choice for captain than some of the names being branded around.[/quote]Yeah, but you also said in your first post that Fotheringham should only play while Clingan is injured... so I don''t see how you can say he shouldn''t be first choice in midfield but should be captain.

I''m going to have to disagree to some extent. I think he''s showing no leadership at all. More often than not he''s pointing and shouting at players for not running when he is guilty of this too. He also quite often puts his team mates under pressure with poorly placed passes and as you say he seems incapable of playing the ball forwards. Perhaps this is down to having the captains armband and him feeling the pressure to perform. We saw Drury struggle to reach his high standards and Shackell... well I don''t think Shackell is a good example of a captain, but he could have been affected by the pressure. I hope when Clinghan regains fitness he finds himself replacing Fotheringham in the centre of midfield. He has offered us far more going forwards this season and I don''t think it''s just a coincidence that we''ve not played the passing football in recent games. I however doubt Fotheringham will ever be dropped as he is the golden boy in the eyes of Roeder despite what he says about having favourites and such.

Im convinced that some of us think that we support real madrid and that fozzy as our captain is maradona. wake up and smell the coffee.

Wasnt at the game today but just spoke to some who were and guess what ? Captain blue eyes was awful again!!  said at the start of the season that any team with this overated imposter in was destined for the bottom six and nothing has changed my mind..in the last 3 games we have created four goal scoring chances and the midfield partiulary Fotheringham are failing badly..

[quote user="Thommo"]

Im convinced that some of us think that we support real madrid and that fozzy as our captain is maradona. wake up and smell the coffee.

[/quote]fair comment - but by the same token fozzy is attracting (negative) attention simply cos he doesn''t look on his A game this season,,,why is that??? is he carrying a niggle or is it loss of form, or a combo of these or other factors???he''s played much better for NCFC - and so punters have an expectation of him, that he doesn''t appear to be meeting, rightly or wrongly...and of course, the situaaashun is compounded cos he''s captain???the heats on fozzy - and what he needs is to pull some decent performances outa the back to silence the critics - the boy is made of good stuff, i''m sure he''ll bounce back, make no mistake...

I have followed the boys for 20 years and I want them to go out and trounce teams like ''barnsley''. But we live in a different footballing world these days. We have to accept the limitations of some of the players but realise that we are on an upward curve. Just because fozzy didnt waltz around 10 players and score the winner as our captain doesn''t mean he did not have an influence. We need to appreciate that he is a symbol of a better side that we had 18 months ago (see jarrett) and look forward to better things.

Your captain should at least be one of your best players on the pitch, and not once this season can you honestly say Fotheringham has been one of our best players on the pitch.  Roeder has dug a hole for himself by making him captain this season, and  he will not drop him irrespective of how poorly he plays.

Just for once it would be nice to see a pairing of Russell and Pattison, or Russell and Clingan, or Clingan and Pattison, but I won''t hold my breath.

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]Has his faults, granted, mainly that he plays sideways too often (and is scared to shoot!), but he really isn''t that bad a player. He is getting a lot of undeserved stick on here - he is a good footballer, with two good feet, and there is a place for him at the moment. If clingan were fit, then he should occupy that role, but at present Fozzy is doing a role for the team and needs our support.[/quote]Fozzy is not performing a role for the team.He has had one good performance for NCFC since arriving here, at the beginning of last season he did have a game where he was good, he got injured prior to the game ending and since returning has never looked like influencing a game. He does not appear to be a leader, and is not inspiring the team, we only have to look at the recent performances, although creditable hardly earth shattering!imo Russell would be far better in midfield, give the captaincy to Stefanovic, he has experience at a higher level, better intelligence on the pitch and is a far better player than Fotheringham will ever be.You say Fotheringham is not a bad player yet you also accept that he is scared to shoot and passes sideways too often! This is a little contradictory if a midfielder lacks the ability to pass and is not able to create or score goals, then surely they are not good?It is Norwich fans that are happy with the standard of players like Fotheringham that really frustrate me, it is these same people who will defend Cureton for ever simply because he dyed his hair green years ago, never mind the fact that he is tripe. Fotheringham should be dropped, he offers nothing and is not fit to play for City.

I''ve always thought Fozzie is a good player to have in the squad but maybe not of the quality to take us up to the top of the league. He''s at his best when he''s playing with real hunger and determination, getting stuck in andplaying the simple ball quickly. In my opinion, he''s in the comfort zone at the moment. GR seems very reluctant to drop him from the starting line up or even sub him off when he''s not performing and Fozzie probably isn''t feeling his position is under threat.

Will be interesting to see what happens if our captain is still underperforming when Sammy Clingan returns.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Fozzy gives his all but he was awful today. I simply can''t see what he brings to the party.[/quote]

2 litres of flat Diet Lemonade - and a half eaten pack of twiglets....

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]Can I also add that I think he is one of the most natural leaders in the squad, and is a much better choice for captain than some of the names being branded around.[/quote]Clapping your hands a lot doesn''t make you a leader.I wonder how much the players respect him?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Fozzy gives his all but he was awful today. I simply can''t see what he brings to the party.[/quote]

2 litres of flat Diet Lemonade - and a half eaten pack of twiglets....

[/quote]

In all seriousness, why does GR keep him in the team? What is it he sees in him that most of us on here don''t?

Fotheringham is simply not good enough.  There are many posters on this forum, all of who cannot be wrong, who state the same.  Trouble is, unfortunately we don''t pick the team.

When fully fit, it has to be Clingan and Rusty centre mid, no debate.

i just think that fotheringham had one good game the season before last against leeds, got injured and the team was havin a poor run of form and everyone thought that he could turn it around, me included. then he came back and performed poorly but he always gave his backin to grant and now roeder and bigged them up so i beleive that they''re just keepin him as captain because of what he says.

However none of us are in that dressin room before the match starts and before it begins so maybe he does some form of leadership in there and also on the trainin pitch.

just for the record i agree that he''s an awful captain on the pitch and as for those sayin he gives 100% every match is rubbish he''s a big girl in tackles afraid to put his foot in and couldn''t play a direct forward pass to save his life.

But the question still remains, who on the pitch is a leader you would have in his place. the only one i would have is marshall but i hate the idea of a goalkeeper bein captain when they aren''t involved in everything like a captain is, or at least should be.