Sign in to follow this  
Red Canary

Hoolahoop aint well rounded!

Just got back from the Arena of despair, just as Roeder as said we failed to really push home any advantages we had in their penalty area and also with possession! I thought every one had a relatively good game! With perhaps Cuerton who as normal looked hopeless.

One thing that I picked up on was that Hoolahan came up with many opportunities as he was forced to come inside, on to his heavily unfavoured right foot. He squandered many chances, as I see it more than any other player. Now let’s not start with the comparison to Hucks just yet BUT I feel that because of Roeders tactics and with no big man up front Hoolahan was forced to come inside, as it would be pointless crossing into ft5,8 Cuerton and not run it down the left. Which I’m sure if you ask any Blackpool supporter will tell you is his key strength!

Norwich have to start playing to the teams strengths, this includes wing and cross play with Croft and Hoolahan. Of course Hoolahans weakness was even clearer as Shakell playing Left back failed to support him going foreword. It became crystal that Norwich must buy a target man so that we can go back to whipping the ball in and taking a few of our well created chances!

Looking foreword to Tuesday and Saturday when we perhaps might be able to witness this type of complete football but not before we sign a full-size striker!

Matt

No offence, but that is BS.Hoolahan cut inside, played a succession of wonderful balls splitting the defence, which is his real strngth. He controlled the game in the first half and looked the real deal, and also tracked back and supported Shacks defensively very well.And I thought Shackell went forward quite a lot, and played some nice football, albeit with a few screwed up passes.

Every single one of them with his left! If he could play a ball with his right he would be one of the most compleat players in the league. Just watch him next time, never once with the ball at his feet does he touch it with his right! All i am saying is that today the tactic of cutting inside did not work, with all his skill and trickery he can get in sight of goal, but with no right foot he has no chance! The Huckerby tactic of running at defenders and then bringing it inside does not work for a mainly left footed player!!! 

I agree, Hoolahan passed with his left foot, but was also pushed off the ball too easily.

When he tried with his right foot, it just didnt work for him.

Naturally left footed..

You''re branding Cureton as useless after that performance?

Personally I thought he did well considering the undeserved shit he takes from some of the fans. For me, Croft was far more noticably off key. Shocking first and very little end product. How can we play a winger who is totally incapable of sticking a decent cross in. In fact, our make shift left back put more decent balls in the box that I can remember than Crofty did.

I''m not challenging his commitment because you can''t beat it, but he really needs to improve if he''s to stay in the side.

[quote user="always shit on the old blue and white"]the only thing hoolahan did wrong was pass when he should have shot
[/quote]

That is what i mean, because he is unable to shoot with his right he has to pass to some one in an already tight area. This of course results in dispossession! And a wasted chance!!!

I don''t believe people are actually criticising one of the most exciting and gifted players we have had here for a long time.  Okay he may well have a weak right foot, but he is going to trouble virtually every defence in this league, and he will create numerous chances for our forwards.

[quote user="Hoolahoop"]

[/quote]I''m not a Cureton fan by any stretch of the imagination but to be fair to him he did play well today and really got involved in the game - I wish he''d stop getting caught offside due to extreme laziness though...

Thought Curo worked his socks off today, was getting into positions alot but the final ball was missing. Like I have said and we all knwo, give him a big man, he will score, he is so desperate to do so, sometimes too much desperation in his play. Another plus compared tolast season was that he may have been given offside maybe once, not over sure.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Thought Curo worked his socks off today, was getting into positions alot but the final ball was missing. Like I have said and we all knwo, give him a big man, he will score, he is so desperate to do so, sometimes too much desperation in his play. Another plus compared tolast season was that he may have been given offside maybe once, not over sure.[/quote]When we sign a big man Cureton will probably start most games on the bench, Lupoli will most likely be the regular partner for the new striker whoever he may be.

Agree if we get a new striker I can''t see Roeder dropping Lupoli on today''s evidence.

Hoolahan was class. he came inside a lot but that is how he plays and I think Roeder has given him licence to do so. He interchanged brilliantly with Loops, Cureton and Fozzy and I for one was quite excited at the prospect of the Lupoli/Hoolahan combination this season. Now if Roeder could just coach the b**gers to shoot occasionally!

I really have no idea why people are whining about the best player in our squad in Hoolahan!

He is a left footer - so why the hell does he come under fire for that? The majority of players in the game are right footed, had we stuck a right footer and told him to do what Wesley did today, you would, funnily enough, find him passing and shooting with his right foot only.

Why is it that these rare left footed players come under fire for not being able to play with their right, when the majority of the footballing world are right footers who cannot play with their left!?

Under the circumstances, without a big target man, Wes and Glenn did what was BEST at the time, and that was to take defenders on and 1 touch play with the strikers, and surprise surprise someone is moaning about it. Had he crossed the ball in from the wings he would have been moaned at, so he does what he should, and gets moaned at.

No win no win it seems

[quote user="Red Canary"]

[quote user="always shit on the old blue and white"]the only thing hoolahan did wrong was pass when he should have shot[/quote]

That is what i mean, because he is unable to shoot with his right he has to pass to some one in an already tight area. This of course results in dispossession! And a wasted chance!!!

[/quote]then what about croft, he barely has a right foot  atm, he took about 3 touches too many, narrowed his angle and drove it at westwood, if he had took it on his left foot then there would of a goal. croft doesnt cut inside or unlock defences liike hoolihan, so really. i dont see why people complain about wes.

You all have made good point esspecially about Croft!

All i was saying is that it became clear during the game that he had no right foot! I''m sure as soon as we buy a full sized striker we will be able to see the full potential that Hoolahan has to offer! In the first half he proved he could supply excellent through balls and pin point passing, infact he worked well with Clinghan!

[quote user="SnakePit Lassy"][quote user="crafty canary"]

YES, next?

[/quote]

Lol

[/quote]

Can''t agree with that - anyone that scores 14 goals in a shite side that at one point was fighting relegation has a bit of quality about him, however I would agree that he''ll be warming the bench once a target man arrives.

I agree that Cureton gets a bit of a rough ride on here and I think he would score goals playing alongside a big target man. In fact the Rodent has said that.

As you say Hoolahoop, I don''t think he will be first choice when the big man arrives.

As far as Hooligan is concerned, those of you haven''t seen him yet,he is not a ''Hucks'' replacement I feel. He is his own man and played more in the centre with Blackpool. His forward passes through the middle yesterday were an absolute delight to watch.

Long may your right leg support you Hools!

I think people need to give the players a chance to bed down and get used to each other in a match situation; we all said that it might take a little time.  The signs are reasonably promising, it sounds as if we played fairly well but suffered the usual Coventry result of a slightly harsh defeat (I wasn''t there and unable to listen).  The thing now is to take on the positives and iron out the mistakes ready for next weekend, and a game midweek ought to help that.  One match, one performance, and one poor result does not make a season.