Sign in to follow this  
The Canarie has found its wings!

Is play-offs possible?

I really think with the team roeder has got together could push for the play-offs this year. As long as we dont get any horrible injuries we have a chance. We used to be talked as a team pushing for promotion but we seem to have been forgotten. Is are time to show the championship. Drury and Otsemobor are quality and the likes of Lupoli and Cureton are great finishes. Marshell is a brilliant keeper. We could really do it as long as the supporters keep behind them. We could have done with that big takover though.

dont think it will happen this year coz the team needs to gel,but you never know its a funny league. like this post though makes a change from the doom. would like to see big name signing to kick it all off.

Last year when we finnally got some form and went 11 matches unbeaten people started talking about the play-offs and we lost our form. so dont say anything or we could be scraping for survival AGAIN!

Last season we were way adrift at the bottom in November,yet had a shot at the playoffs at the end of January,so I think we have time to gel and still make the playoffs.The real key is the quality of the striker,or,as I suspect,strikers,that GR is bringing in,and how quickly they get here.

Only going to be 1 striker, 1 midfielder and the centre half .and no, no chance of finishing top 6 .

3 out of 20 clubs in this league have about an equal chance of taking 3 of the play-off places.  We''re one of them.  I''d say it''s possible, but it''s odds of no better than 7 - 1.

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]Only going to be 1 striker, 1 midfielder and the centre half .and no, no chance of finishing top 6 .[/quote]Yawn. When are you going to support this club or admit to being a binner? Let us know, we''ll throw a party - either way.As for us this year, anything can happen - we could just click, everything goes brilliantly and we finish top six. Alternatively it could all go pear shaped - and end being a disaster. I think that''s reflected in the various pre-season previews.

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]Only going to be 1 striker, 1 midfielder and the centre half .and no, no chance of finishing top 6 .[/quote]...and one of them might be Steve Howard[:P]

If we get a decent striker in we will have as good a chance as many others in the division. Birmingham look to have the strongest squad and I would definitely expect them to be somewhere in the top 6, Derby could have even more problems than us getting the team to gel having bought so many players in over the summer. QPR haven''t really signed as many players of quality as I expected and they are far from certain to finish in the play offs. Sheff Utd should be thereabouts this year, as will Reading. I definitely think we will be far more competetive this year but I fear we may not start well with so many players short of match practice, with the exception of Birmingham nobody stands out for me and if we can be strong at home we have a chance of reaching the play offs.

No, it''s asking for too much too soon I think - considering the state we were in when Roeder took over and given that we only missed the drop by three points, and the fact he''s completely rebuilt the squad on a shoestring I don''t think it''s a realistic target. A club like Norwich should be able to aim for the top six but not in our current state.

In my opinion, this league gets tighter and tighter every year. All it would take is a good run of results similar to the run last season, and anythings possible.

With a little luck, in my heart I know we can make the playoffs.

Can, and will are 2 different things unfortunately.

Hey, what''s the start of the season for? At the moment, we can all dream, because none of us really know.

What we seem to have for a lineup is an unknown.  Lots of loans, a few left overs from last year''s scramble to survive, and what?  Roeder''s first real attempt to mold the team in his vision. 

We will know inside of 4 weeks whether of not we are contenders, pretenders, or outright losers.  How the team plays, wheter it''sd wins, draws or losses will let us know if we have a chance to survive, or if we will dominate. 

If we suck early on due to bad play, Roeder will scramble, such as Grant did.  If things go according to plan, he will blossum as the team does, much to our pleasure. 

If the team is middle, Roeder will try to do whatever it takes to get us moving up the table which may or may not be a disaster. I can''t see someone with Roeder''s record settling for mid-table.  It seems to be one extreme or the other.  I hope it is ONE.

Walk around on the trip home.  Not just at landings, but along the way.  You really need to stretch your legs out a few times to avoid the long distance blood settling problem that hits so many people.  I want to debate you when you are back in Aus!  Take care. 

[quote user="crafty canary"]It will be a move in the right direction if we finish mid-table.I''m predicting a 13th to 18th place finish.[/quote]

thats about spot on i think.

jas :)

Given luck with injuries to main players and a good start to the season, what we shall need is a consistency we have lacked for a few seasons.Under Grant there were occasions when we performed like world-beaters - Stamford Bridge, for instance, when neutrals were asking why we were not in the Premiership. Then, admittedly losing a few players, we were rubbish. Roeder got them going up the table, followed by a decline in form which threatened relegation. We couldn''t understand why some weeks we didn''t turn up.It''s still happening - we had a good 20 minutes against Spurs, and then.....The big challenge for Roeder, who talks about the need for more away points, is to maintain a consistent and high level of performance. Perhaps the advent of so many new players will change things, but I wouldn''t bet on it. In the promotion season, with the dangerous Hux with us and playing 4-3-3, we conceded goals but we were always confident that we could score enough.If everything works out, we should have a better defence and a better midfield. If we can find striking power consistently, then why not a play-off place? But we have been here before....

I think it is more than possible we can make the play offs, the problem is as individuals they all have undoubted talent good enough for this league. The worry is can they play together, I hope so, onwards and upwards with Roeders Revolution.

I think a lot of the required consistency will come from the attitude of the new players. Roeder has made a few comments about their attitude, describing them as ''real men'' whilst bemoaning the loser attitude of the previous squad and backroom staff. If the new recruits have the mental edge that Roeder describes, I do see the play offs as possible. I still think 12th to 8th is more likely this season though. I am presuming Roeder does manage to land a big front man of decent calibre.