Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

Badly ran football club. Plays in yellow.

They''re my local team-amazing when you think that they''re still getting parachute payments, plus they sold Ashley Young & Bouazza for big money-and the chairman "doesn''t know where the money has gone".

If they sell those other players they''re certs for the drop-Boothroyd ought to get out now.

Some poeple on here would call them an ambitious club, having a wage bill that big. It seems to me that every club is treading a very fine line between spending enough to get promoted or go bust. It''s a tough call...

It just goes to show how well run our club has been over the past few years. We may have struggled on the pitch, but I don''t think we''ve been in real danger of doing a Leeds.

The dimaying thing is, while every fan wants promotion, it may just be the fastest route to oblivion. How many have gone up, then crashed and burned?

While they are idiots for turning down Cullums money which would have seen us safe, they have done a very good job of ensuring we stayed afloat unlike a team like leeds or southampton.

Watford haven''t really gambled on players either .... the comments from the chairman are shocking, if I was aidy I''d walk away

I heard Boothroyd being interviewed on Radio Two about the coming season. He seemed reasonably upbeat and philisophical about it all. Apparently he''s going to drop the kick-and-rush style this season and encourage his players to pass the ball. He wasn''t asked, and he certainly didn''t say, why he had decided to change his team''s style of play.

At least part of their problem is that they had a lot of players on Premiership money last season in the belief it would get them up.

West Brom aren''t very healthy either.  Their chairman recently said that if they are to have any chance of staying in the Premier League they will need investment far beyond his means - in effect putting the club up for sale.

Puts everything into perspective, doesn''t it... makes you realise that as much as our board have dropped some major clangers recently, things could indeed be a lot worse...But enough about the clubs that aren''t keeping it together.  Let''s focus our attentions on our own club and the coming season! [Y]

Thing that wrangles me is the Clucks, Smudgers and BlyBly''s of this world will steer well clear of this very relevant post.  Examples such as this one show our club to be reasonably well run.  Also the fact that the bank are putting pressure on for them to clear a £6m debt (chump change in todays game, especially with £10m worth of parachute payments) indicate that the problems run far deeper than a bit of a cash crisis.

This is a tick for Delia in the pro''s column.

Just as sobering a read is this http://wednesdayite.wordpress.com/2008/07/25/stranger-danger-the-ipswich-town-view/

I''m not a Delia sycophant, and I know next to nothing about Cullum. But I am saying to those with the offensive flame-licked ''Delia Out'' sigs... Be careful what you wish for...

You can challenge them as to how they want "their" football club but ultimately its always going to remain fruitless. Is there any better ran football clubs in this league that we should aspire to? Wolves seem to be spending wise-ish, QPR are a sugar daddys play thing which could implode at any time.. Derby seem to have a lot of cash but are they doing ''a watford''?

derby have a history of spending big and getting someone in to rescue them...  I believe that they''re owned by an american somethingionairre though so they can spend some of his money.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

Thing that wrangles me is the Clucks, Smudgers and BlyBly''s of this world will steer well clear of this very relevant post.  Examples such as this one show our club to be reasonably well run.  Also the fact that the bank are putting pressure on for them to clear a £6m debt (chump change in todays game, especially with £10m worth of parachute payments) indicate that the problems run far deeper than a bit of a cash crisis.

This is a tick for Delia in the pro''s column.

[/quote]

Carlos, it should not wrangle you that the usual suspects avoid these kind of posts. Such people are driven by a need to seek out information that supports their desire to blame someone for their "wants" not being met in life. We all hope for Norwich to be challenging for promotion and have a run in the Premiership. Some of us are able to look beyond our personal "wants" and look around us and see what a precarious balancing act it is to achieve that goal without jeopardising the ongoing viability of the club. We''ve had a bad run for a couple of seasons ( that''s all ....it''s not four seasons, it''s not even three ) which was driven by the need to replace Nigel Worthington and, unfortunately, choosing an inexperienced manager that did not work out. That held up our ability to re-build effectively. That means picking up decent players at reasonable wages without getting involved in large transfer fees.

Before you all get your prayer mats out, can we have a bit of perspective please - this is ONE club of the 16 who finished above us last season. That one club is more than balanced by those clubs who ARE cleverer than the rest - unfortunately, we don''t appear to be one of them. Of course we may still sign that 2 million pound striker like sheffield utd have, or the 1.5 million bloke that bristol city have - but on our past record, I''m not holding my breath.......

Good example of where you will end up if you dont have a rich sugar daddy , bet Watford would just love a Peter Cullum to come along and i very much doubt they would tell him to get lost either .

[quote user="astrodyne"]Before you all get your prayer mats out, can we have a bit of perspective please - this is ONE club of the 16 who finished above us last season. That one club is more than balanced by those clubs who ARE cleverer than the rest - unfortunately, we don''t appear to be one of them. Of course we may still sign that 2 million pound striker like sheffield utd have, or the 1.5 million bloke that bristol city have - but on our past record, I''m not holding my breath.......[/quote]

....and before you join the "usual suspects" in the "lets dump on the Norwich Board" campaign you need to think a little more carefully about your input. When Henderson starts to play for Sheffield United he will be almost 27 years old. He is not likely to command a much higher figure than what has just been paid for him. When we signed Ashton he was 22 and had a much better strike rate than Henderson and we sold him on for twice what we paid for him. Does that make us less astute than Sheffield United? I don''t think so. The Egyptian fellow may turn out to be a good buy for Bristol City but I would suggest it''s a wait and see on that front. Finally, of the 16 teams that finished above us last season you have not forgotten, I trust, that the majority of those clubs have not ventured into Premiership territory as recently as Norwich did. If you balance that into the equation we don''t need to hang our heads down, do we? Now astrodyne, your name is suggestive of looking up to the stars and the future. Why don''t you adopt that stance and be optimistic about the upcoming season rather than allowing yourself to slip into the negative frame of people who are constantly looking backwards and complaining.   

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]Anybody got any popcorn? [:P]

http://www.watfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~1351346,00.html
[/quote]

Suddenly everything crashes back down to earth.

[quote user="Polar"]While they are idiots for turning down Cullums money which would have seen us safe, they have done a very good job of ensuring we stayed afloat unlike a team like leeds or southampton.
[/quote]

What offer did they turn down exactly? ''Seen us safe''?

Is that the same take on things that saw the EADT print ''Premiership here we come'' when Ipswich announced they had 12m to spend? And which division will they be in next season? My point is, it''s not a huge amount of money, and once it''s all been spent... what next? If Cullum could guarantee what would happen next, then I''d be interested, but until then, and while he says he wouldn''t put any more money in... I wouldn''t take that gamble and I think the current board is right not to take that gamble.

Bravo win or die? Really?

i think some of us should be eating humble pie (including me) HOWEVER the Ipswich and Watford stories do not provide any defence for the mistruths that Delia Smith has told supporters and the pathetic ego-centric spin that followed the signing of stefanovic and ozmuszi. I want to believe that if the offer is right and from the right person Delia will sell up and at the momment (whether Cullum is the man or not) I am not too sure. The Man In The Stands wrote an excellent piece in this season''s canary preview and I think it says alot about the current climate of the club.

Who knows where the truth in this one lies. One thing is certain, they are now a selling club not a buying club. http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/localsport/3226792.Aidy__We_can_t_afford_Andrews/ This is one reason I won''t join in a Delia witch hunt. Watford aren''t the only example of teams just relegated who struggle to be competitive both financially and on the pitch. If you look at us compared to the likes of Southampton (held up on this message board as an ''ambitious'' club just a year ago), Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds, Notts Forest, Wimbledon, Wednesday, Bradford, the list goes on. There have been 40 clubs in administration since the Premiership began, whether Watford joins that list remains to be seen. The cost of ''ambition'' can be high not just to the club and the fans, but to local businesses too. How many small business went bankrupt when Ipswich went into administration?There is a very fine line between ambition and financial mess. Its easy to argue our board waiver on the side of too much prudence, but the alternative isn''t pretty.

Yankee - of course not many of those 16 teams had recently been in the premiership, with only 3 teams gaining promotion and us only been back in the second tier a few years - the math cannot possibly be any different!!

The board and their higher managements job, is to keep us competetive on the football field. You can argue about prudence and its merits till the cows come home - but you cannot argue that season upon season we are constantly outplayed in the transfer market.

[quote user="astrodyne"]

Yankee - of course not many of those 16 teams had recently been in the premiership, with only 3 teams gaining promotion and us only been back in the second tier a few years - the math cannot possibly be any different!!

The board and their higher managements job, is to keep us competetive on the football field. You can argue about prudence and its merits till the cows come home - but you cannot argue that season upon season we are constantly outplayed in the transfer market.

[/quote]

Astodyne. I wish you all the best in your debate with wooden-headed smugness. She raises her head from time to time on this forum and is more interested in lecturing, hectoring and excusing than campaigning for a football club with vision, steel and ambition.

Continue to embrace the positivity of ambition.

OTBC

[quote user="astrodyne"]

[/quote]

Astodyne. I wish you all the best in your debate with wooden-headed smugness. She raises her head from time to time on this forum and is more interested in lecturing, hectoring and excusing than campaigning for a football club with vision, steel and ambition.

OTBC

This is a very good and sensible thread.

In my opinion, we are a rather well run football club. The only way we can compete is by formulating a TEAM of players (cheap or otherwise) who link up well and become more than the sum of their parts. This is how football clubs should be run. You can keep saying "Sheffield United spent loads of money on a striker why can''t we?" but they spent loads on Billy Sharp and it didn''t do them much good. The same thing with Freddy Eastwood last year at Wolves.

In fact I would go as far as to say that players of Championship standard usually lose form as soon as you start putting big price tags on them. Only the very best players can cope with this kind of pressure. Our board claimed last year that we paid "loadsa money" for Strihavka, when really we didn''t. This was to appease stupid supporters who just want to hear that we spent lots of money. I''m not saying it''s why he failed here, but I think it would have helped him if he wasn''t seen as our big summer signing. I would also suggest that Bristol City (no matter how much they spend) will not do as well as last season, because the reason they did do well was because something a little special happened when those particular players played together. Even the binners, did really well in the Premiershit until they started throwing money around, and promptly got relegated. 

I''m sure you can give examples of times big money has helped teams, but unless it can be sustained it is usually damaging. For further reading please invest some time reading the brilliant book "The Beautiful Game?" by David Conn.

[quote user="Larry David"]

No not us!

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/localsport/3546168.Hornets_face_cash_crisis/

At least we''re not in their position - and to think some people were begging to be run the ''Watford way'', last season.

[/quote]

Its now all being denied and Watford are now threating legal action against certain newspapers! Too quick off the mark to try and prove a point eh Larry?[:|]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="astrodyne"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Well said.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Larry David"]

No not us!

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/localsport/3546168.Hornets_face_cash_crisis/

At least we''re not in their position - and to think some people were begging to be run the ''Watford way'', last season.

[/quote]

Its now all being denied and Watford are now threating legal action against certain newspapers! Too quick off the mark to try and prove a point eh Larry?[:|]

[/quote]And you''d know all about that wouldn''t you?That story was all that was known when I posted it. It was from The Guardian which is a paper i generally trust and generally doesn''t deal with trash.. I''m sure Watford will do their best to deny the stories but whenever a club sells one of its best players above the managers head, its gonna spell bad news and it''s happened to us enough times for me to know that!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Larry David"]

No not us!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because of course Watford''s board always tell the truth, while ours deals in nothing but spin.