Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Re-sign Joe Lewis

Just a thought. I was very disappointed when we sold Joe in January - and knowing Joe, he was too. He feels he has unfinished business, and one of his career dreams was to play for his home club. Do you think we had any ''Buy-back-price'' or ''First-option'' clause in the sale? If so, or even if not, should be bring him back? I would suggest if we don''t have any clause then Fergie at P''boro would rip us off, and it simply wouldn''t be cost effective, but for me, we let our best GK go.

Am I alone here? Theres been a lot of talk on here about it being a bad decision, but does anyone want him back?

Discuss.

so we should''ve kept joe here, let him wallow in the reserves and ruin his career. I thought he would make it here, but I am chuffed he''s doing so well, and wish him all the best. As far as I''m concerned we have big dave in goal and despite some mistakes (he is human) he''s kept us in so many games this season, and lets not forget he''s scotlands number 2 keeper. well done joe though

Yep, his value has rocketed since January and will continue to do so. I actually blame Grant for not giving him a go in 06/07 when we had about 5 loan goalkeepers and not much to play for.

many thought it was a cracking deal for you guys in selling him for around half a million when he hasnt played for you guys

cant win really!

you sell him then you are where we are now discuissing why the hell you sold him

if you dont sell him then people will say why not? 500k for unproven keeper!

"to me, the real question is, what the hell were Norwich thinking off to let him slip away?"

"I bet Norwich are kicking themselves for letting him go"

"I have a funny feeling there will be a clause in his contract which Norwich will have first option or something stupid like that."

[quote user="NegativeVibes"]

"to me, the real question is, what the hell were Norwich thinking off to let him slip away?"

"I have a funny feeling there will be a clause in his contract which Norwich will have first option or something stupid like that."

[/quote]

Might help if you actually attribute these quotes to someone????

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="NegativeVibes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They are random quotes from a Morecambe forum that I agree with.

There was no need to ''attribute the quotes''

Would he be in the position he is now if we had kept him...probably not.

I would rather have sold him for the money we got plus the 25-35% sell on claus we have on the total sale, not just the profit.

This was good business on a untried player, plus its helped his career.

So if fry now rates him at 4 million then that and extra 1.4 million in our pockets........sounds good to me!!!!

yeah, let''s re-sign him. he can sit on the bench again and we''ll be a million quid worse off. Unless he can play up front or in central defence...

Lets not forget that currently we have the Scottish number 2/3 in our ranks, whether or not you everyone agrees on his qualities. So id say Marshall is worth more at this present stage, and if he develops and gets rid of his weaknesses then would expect to see him in the premiership soon.

Although I''ve only seen small amounts of the next generation of Colney keepers, word is we still have 2 very bright prospects. Lewis needed to get first team experience (as maybe so does Gilks) but from all accounts the future of the goalkeeping postion is not one to worry ourselves about.

If Joe wants to come back Norwich at some point in his career, which will hopefully last around another 15 years, then he can always do that when he''s made his fortune and a contract expires.Norwich don''t  have a place for him at the moment, so I hope he gets everything he''s worked for and rises up the leagues. He''s proved himself worthy of greater challenges, now NCFC has to prove it is good enough for him by establishing itself in the Prem (however long that may take...)Although Roeder got rid of him, I put the blame at Grant''s door. Grant should have given Joe a run and not spent time chasing David Marshall (although Marshall is good enough for us right now).

[quote user="NegativeVibes"][quote user="bunny"][quote user="NegativeVibes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They are random quotes from a Morecambe forum that I agree with.

There was no need to ''attribute the quotes''

[/quote]

Sorry Derren, did not quite pick up your psychic message there.

Here''s one for you.....

....did you get it?

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Lets not forget that currently we have the Scottish number 2/3 in our ranks, whether or not you everyone agrees on his qualities. So id say Marshall is worth more at this present stage, and if he develops and gets rid of his weaknesses then would expect to see him in the premiership soon.[/quote]Just being in the full England squad will put Joe in the 3 - 4 million bracket, it''s doubtful at present we would get our money back on Marshall. Either way, within 4 months GR has lost us a potential 3.5 million on Lewis and he couldn''t even be @rsed to go see him play!

oh come on john boubepo give the man  a break. there wasnt a place for him in our first team. marshall is our no.1 keeper and gilks is the second choice whats the point in him sitting in the reserves. i think roeder could of made the right choice for joe and for norwich city.

[quote user="John Boubepo"]Just being in the full England squad will put Joe in the 3 - 4 million bracket[/quote]No it won''t.I appreciate that you don''t really like GR, that''s your call and I''ve got no probleme with it, but that statement is just rubbish. You don''t go from being sold by NCFC for £400,00 to being worth £4million by being invited to train with England. I''m really chuffed for Joe, I konw a couple of people who know him, but he''s not suddenly become Englands third choice keeper.You don''t have to be a genius to work out where he''s going to end up in a few years time and I''m guessing that we''ve got a fairly hefty sell-on clause ready for when that happens. The biggest cock up with the whole ''Lewis Saga'' was last season when we were safe but Peter Grant kept playing loan keepers.

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Lets not forget that currently we have the Scottish number 2/3 in our ranks, whether or not you everyone agrees on his qualities. So id say Marshall is worth more at this present stage, and if he develops and gets rid of his weaknesses then would expect to see him in the premiership soon.[/quote]

Just being in the full England squad will put Joe in the 3 - 4 million bracket, it''s doubtful at present we would get our money back on Marshall. Either way, within 4 months GR has lost us a potential 3.5 million on Lewis and he couldn''t even be @rsed to go see him play!
[/quote]

No it wont. It will raise awareness of him, and will raise a price a bit, but im sure most people in the game will realize joes only in there because all the other keepers are on holiday. And hes only there for experience rather than actually competing for the jersey.

Thats not to say in time he wont be in the squad on merit, and wont be at 3mil plus. But right now he isnt.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="John Boubepo"]Just being in the full England squad will put Joe in the 3 - 4 million bracket[/quote]No it won''t.I appreciate that you don''t really like GR, that''s your call and I''ve got no probleme with it, but that statement is just rubbish. You don''t go from being sold by NCFC for £400,00 to being worth £4million by being invited to train with England. I''m really chuffed for Joe, I konw a couple of people who know him, but he''s not suddenly become Englands third choice keeper.You don''t have to be a genius to work out where he''s going to end up in a few years time and I''m guessing that we''ve got a fairly hefty sell-on clause ready for when that happens. The biggest cock up with the whole ''Lewis Saga'' was last season when we were safe but Peter Grant kept playing loan keepers.[/quote]Ok I''m happy to sit on this one, he will be sold within the next 12 months and I don''t think 3 - 4 million will be an unreasonable starting price - lets see who''s right?Although I agree Grant was also an abysmal manager and should have given him a chance, Lewis wanted to stay at Norwich it was GR who sold him without even seeing him play, only time will tell but that decision in my book has lost us a potential 3.5 million, probably twice the amount available for transfers this season!

Dont get me wrong John, I very much disagreed with the decision. And also Im in no doubt that Joe will go for multi-million pounds in the future (Considering hes young, and more importantly hes English). Just right now his value wont be that high, and the England call-up wont make that much of a difference, other than raise awareness of him.

Either way, I felt he should have got his chance here. Or at least been loaned out for another season until he was ready to make the step up.

know one knows what joe has in his contract for all we know he could have a buy back clause of about 2million. then GR will be laughing. i doubt it ut u never know.

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Lets not forget that currently we have the Scottish number 2/3 in our ranks, whether or not you everyone agrees on his qualities. So id say Marshall is worth more at this present stage, and if he develops and gets rid of his weaknesses then would expect to see him in the premiership soon.[/quote]

Just being in the full England squad will put Joe in the 3 - 4 million bracket, it''s doubtful at present we would get our money back on Marshall. Either way, within 4 months GR has lost us a potential 3.5 million on Lewis and he couldn''t even be @rsed to go see him play!
[/quote]

With great respect I do not think that is right.  It will certainly perhaps push him towards £800,000 rather than £400,000 but unless he plays and has a complete blinder I think not much more at the moment and not at the moment into the price bracket you suggest (an opinion).  Quite possibly in the future but not at this moment.

Based on a few daft video clips I think you could be right about Mr Marshall, however. I know many don''t like we8wba - and even less the clip which reflected in misses as badly on Wolves as it did on the space given by Norwich in my opinion, dreadful defending and dreadful finishing  - but watch from around the two minute mark of that video and look out for the aimless Wolves free kick into the area from the right hand side ballooned to no one in particular (and it missed such as were there)  and the keepers ball from the moment it was struck and yet he watched it bounce in front of him......

Hopefully the new Norwich City goalkeeping coach will get Mr Marshall (on that frail evidence) from being rooted to his line for such as these and get him bellowing "Keeeeeeperssssss."

Or, as Mr Gilks might have said (had he been given the chance) "Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine"

It was only League Two of course but some of the Rochdale training sessions involved swopping positions and Matty sometimes played up front in training sessions.  Unfortunately he injured several defenders in the process and, at the end, they mostly kept him in goal.

[quote user="Dr. Bunsen"]know one knows what joe has in his contract for all we know he could have a buy back clause of about 2million. then GR will be laughing. i doubt it ut u never know.[/quote]

To be honest thats the only condition id have happily sold him on, a first-refusal type deal. Would be better for him than being loaned out to various clubs every season. I doubt it too though!

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="John Boubepo"]

Just being in the full England squad will put Joe in the 3 - 4 million bracket

[/quote]

No it won''t.

I appreciate that you don''t really like GR, that''s your call and I''ve got no probleme with it, but that statement is just rubbish. You don''t go from being sold by NCFC for £400,00 to being worth £4million by being invited to train with England. I''m really chuffed for Joe, I konw a couple of people who know him, but he''s not suddenly become Englands third choice keeper.

You don''t have to be a genius to work out where he''s going to end up in a few years time and I''m guessing that we''ve got a fairly hefty sell-on clause ready for when that happens. The biggest cock up with the whole ''Lewis Saga'' was last season when we were safe but Peter Grant kept playing loan keepers.
[/quote]

Ok I''m happy to sit on this one, he will be sold within the next 12 months and I don''t think 3 - 4 million will be an unreasonable starting price - lets see who''s right?
Although I agree Grant was also an abysmal manager and should have given him a chance, Lewis wanted to stay at Norwich it was GR who sold him without even seeing him play, only time will tell but that decision in my book has lost us a potential 3.5 million, probably twice the amount available for transfers this season!

[/quote]

So we have to wait twelve months now? I thought just being in the England squad was making him worth £3-4million [:^)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="John Boubepo"]Just being in the full England squad will put Joe in the 3 - 4 million bracket[/quote]No it won''t.I appreciate that you don''t really like GR, that''s your call and I''ve got no probleme with it, but that statement is just rubbish. You don''t go from being sold by NCFC for £400,00 to being worth £4million by being invited to train with England. I''m really chuffed for Joe, I konw a couple of people who know him, but he''s not suddenly become Englands third choice keeper.You don''t have to be a genius to work out where he''s going to end up in a few years time and I''m guessing that we''ve got a fairly hefty sell-on clause ready for when that happens. The biggest cock up with the whole ''Lewis Saga'' was last season when we were safe but Peter Grant kept playing loan keepers.[/quote]Ok I''m happy to sit on this one, he will be sold within the next 12 months and I don''t think 3 - 4 million will be an unreasonable starting price - lets see who''s right?Although I agree Grant was also an abysmal manager and should have given him a chance, Lewis wanted to stay at Norwich it was GR who sold him without even seeing him play, only time will tell but that decision in my book has lost us a potential 3.5 million, probably twice the amount available for transfers this season![/quote]

So we have to wait twelve months now? I thought just being in the England squad was making him worth £3-4million [:^)]

[/quote]I think I said within 12 months, either way if it does take 12 months it will give you plenty of time  to think up a good excuse, why you reckon  400k.was good business

well i think there where a few terms in the offer, it wasnt just a strait 400k, we probley got a little bit for there promotion mabey?but i think he will come back at some piont, but only if marshall leaves

If he''s as good as people seem to think then he won''t be back and this can join the list of ones we let go like Dion, Zamora etc.

It does seem an odd decision to sell him - why not loan him to posh for the rest of the season - he''d still be our player now...

As I''ve never seen him play though I can''t really comment on whether it''s going to be a big mistake. It looks like it at the minute but I guess time will tell. (I''d also not get too carried away with the sell-on clause, I''d be amazed if it''s more than 20% of any profit - the club would definitely sell that to us as ''massive'')...