Sign in to follow this  
National express super guard

how are we a "small club"?

haha quality - he also seemed to "forget" our championship winning season. hmmmmm <cough> <cough> prick <cough> <cough>

[quote user="Beaker"]haha quality - he also seemed to "forget" our championship winning season. hmmmmm <cough> <cough> prick <cough> <cough>[/quote]

wolves were in the premier that season

and i gave norwich for being ahead of us when you was in the premier!

i could always change it and say norwich came 1st wolves 20th 1pt norwich

wolves came wherever, norwich got relegated 1pt wolves

works out the same! as to the playoffs we all know what happend both time our sides reached the final dont we!

WE8WBA,

You have had less success than us in the last 25 years, fact! We have spent more seasons in a higher league than you in the last few decades, fact! We get higher gates than you, fact! We have been in Europe more recently than you, fact!

How you can say you''re bigger than us I have no idea. Maybe it''s black country logic? Oh & you have more competition for supporters but your population in that part of the country is massive compared to here!! I once proved to my Villa supporting Grandfather-in-law that we get  better attendances to them percentage wise to the population, even when taking BCFC into account!

[quote user="we8wba"]

[quote user="Beaker"]haha quality - he also seemed to "forget" our championship winning season. hmmmmm <cough> <cough> prick <cough> <cough>[/quote]

wolves were in the premier that season

and i gave norwich for being ahead of us when you was in the premier!

i could always change it and say norwich came 1st wolves 20th 1pt norwich

wolves came wherever, norwich got relegated 1pt wolves

works out the same! as to the playoffs we all know what happend both time our sides reached the final dont we!

[/quote]I hate to say it but if you are quibbling about league positions then you are clutching for straws. Wolves have only ever been a mid table Championship side on average. Yes you have had a couple of good seasons here and there but you were not one of the founding teams of the premiership for example.The only thing that Wolves have had recently is more money - and in fairness they have had more money than a lot of people and not really shown it.My one criticism of you is that you bang on about league positions but the Championship is so cut-throat. Look at Hull for example - no great team but they finished above you. Would you say they are better than you? A bigger club? Same goes for Stoke.Yeah Norwich perhaps have not forfilled their potential for a while but looking at what we have spent in the last three seasons you can understand it. Someone on here said something like £8million. Across three seasons that is just over £2.5m a season. Not much at this level when you consider how much Wolves spent last season on a strikeforce. Infact I would say until you forked out for Ebanks-Blake you were heading for mid-table rather than the play-offs, not only a poor defence but a poor attack as well.

When norwich were qualifying for europe wolves were in division 4... Since the 50''s wolves have won anything or even been anywhere near being a regular top flight team since the 70''s (correct me someone if I''m wrong).

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"][quote user="we8wba"]

norwich are an average club in average league fact

your support is the only thing which gives you half a shout of being a "big club"

history is also a big factor, thats the only thing what keeps my club being above average in size

[/quote]

Currently Wolves are a smaller club than City, we8wba, fact. When I say that, the only criteria I''m using is our superior support. There is no point in constantly looking back to the good times of the fifties or whatever when judging the size of a club. Yes, Wolves have enjoyed more success than City in their history, but there is no way that past success can be used as a measurement of  current size.

[/quote]

current support is 1k more

you consider our catchement area has to fight with

wba, walsall, villa birmingham, coventry! and with manchester being 90mins away doesnt help

who have norwich got to battle for the locals to support?

[/quote]You need to look at population desnities. Its not about distance between clubs. There is a reason there are several teams in your area and that is because there is the population to support them. The argument kind of kills itself for that reason. Its like Sheffield having two teams, Manchester having two teams and Liverpool. Norwich simply hasnt got the population to have two teams really and so it has one.As for Manchester being 90mins away - it doesn''t matter these days, most people have a T.V five feet away from their soafa so most of the nation has glory hunters in their back yards.And if you want to establish a 90min radius for catchment area just remember how much of that for us is in the sea! Some people seem to forget that. Norfolk is one of the least populated counties with in my opinion one of the worse transport systems (first buses).Now I am not going to argue about the size and stature of the two clubs but I would bet that if you spoke to a lot of football fans they would probably point to Norwich as being the traditionaly "larger" club. Wolves league table position may have been better more recently but I think in all honesty few people look at that or even consider it. Forest are still considered to be a "sleeping giant" shall we say as were Man City when they went down all of the leagues.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Crikey..and with the outside of his foot"]

Blimey, this discussion has taken place on this MB so many times before. Norwich City is not a small club but it is perceived as being a friendly, family club in a remote part of the country populated by in-breds who have nothing better to do to occupy their time on Saturday afternoons than go to the local footbal club which is why Norwich get surprisingly high attendances. It is true that within the context of the last 20 years or so, attendances have peaked in recent years but this is likely to change as more and more fans become disillusioned with sustained mediocrity.

The other point is that there is a belief, well founded I think, that the catchment area does not comprise a big enough population to suggest that even with a larger ground capacity attendances can grow further. In other words, we will only ever be a medium sized club stuck out in the sticks and with low expectations of success. Investors are looking for clubs which are not currently realising their full potential both in terms of attendance and success levels and unfortunately Norwich is not one of them and never will be. A bleak assessment, I know, but realistic whatever the reaction to this post will be.

[/quote]

Absolute, complete rubbish.  The reason why we are still seen as a small club is the kind of ignorance you are displaying.  Norfolk and North Suffolk have a population well over 1 million and the club is in the regional capital with no other competition from other major clubs or sports.  Norwich isn`t a big City, but then most big Cities have several clubs all fighting for the same pool of support- we have a captive market.

If we don`t have a catchment area primed and ready to support an ambitious, growing club then no-one does.

[/quote]

You reply is exactly what I have come to expect of you Mr Carrow. Sorry, but you are in complete denial on this subject.

wolves list of honours

1st european champions

They are also the first team to score 7,000 league goals[10].

norwich list of honours

HonourYear(s)
Second tier Champions1971–72, 1985–86, 2003–04
Third tier Champions1933–34
Third tier Runners Up1959–60
League Cup Winners1962, 1985
League Cup Runners Up1973, 1975

all got from internet - please correct if any wrong

NOW LISTEN TO THIS

how can you say wolves living in the past when your doing the very same

fact norwich been in premier one season in last 13?

so to say you been in their longer means you are doing the very same as me

lets face it norwichs greatest achievment is

beating bayern munich - not reaching cup final or winning it but winning a uefa cup match

but as i said neither of us will agree with one or another so tonight i will post up question on betfair forum saying "who is the bigger club wolves or norwich?"

i wont write anything to influence anyone

and i''ll post up all comments on here tommorow morning

seems fair to me? agreed?

[quote user="we8wba"]

your support is the only thing which gives you half a shout of being a "big club"

history is also a big factor, thats the only thing what keeps my club being above average in size

[/quote]

You are so stupid. You try and slag off our club but your not exactly any bigger than us r u.

Just about everything Wolves have won was when TV was black & white & some of it when TV was not even around!!! Atleast our success was during my life time! Wolves are no bigger than us. W8wba, you are suffering delusions of grandeur I''m afraid.

[quote user="Crikey..and with the outside of his foot"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Crikey..and with the outside of his foot"]

Blimey, this discussion has taken place on this MB so many times before. Norwich City is not a small club but it is perceived as being a friendly, family club in a remote part of the country populated by in-breds who have nothing better to do to occupy their time on Saturday afternoons than go to the local footbal club which is why Norwich get surprisingly high attendances. It is true that within the context of the last 20 years or so, attendances have peaked in recent years but this is likely to change as more and more fans become disillusioned with sustained mediocrity.

The other point is that there is a belief, well founded I think, that the catchment area does not comprise a big enough population to suggest that even with a larger ground capacity attendances can grow further. In other words, we will only ever be a medium sized club stuck out in the sticks and with low expectations of success. Investors are looking for clubs which are not currently realising their full potential both in terms of attendance and success levels and unfortunately Norwich is not one of them and never will be. A bleak assessment, I know, but realistic whatever the reaction to this post will be.

[/quote]

Absolute, complete rubbish.  The reason why we are still seen as a small club is the kind of ignorance you are displaying.  Norfolk and North Suffolk have a population well over 1 million and the club is in the regional capital with no other competition from other major clubs or sports.  Norwich isn`t a big City, but then most big Cities have several clubs all fighting for the same pool of support- we have a captive market.

If we don`t have a catchment area primed and ready to support an ambitious, growing club then no-one does.

[/quote]

You reply is exactly what I have come to expect of you Mr Carrow. Sorry, but you are in complete denial on this subject.

[/quote]

Lol.  And this from someone who suggests that a club which can sell 20,000 season-tickets and regularly sell-out a ground after three appalling seasons and a flirt with relegation can`t grow attendances further!

Believe whatever you feel comfortable with, but you don`t have an argument mate.

my original point was I''m fed up of neutral fans and the media thinking we are a small club. I don''t care about wolves, and I can''t think you really care about Norwich. Posting on betfair will only prove my point of the publics perception of Norwich City, and you''d end up looking like you''re taking the wee wee and get more grief. Wolves and Norwich are on a par as far as league positions and attendances, so please don''t kid yourself otherwise. thanks

As I reiterate. Since the 50''s wolves haven''t done anything. They''ve, most of the time, been a 2nd tier team with brief patches in the top flight and more frequent patches in the lower two leagues.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Crikey..and with the outside of his foot"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Crikey..and with the outside of his foot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol.  And this from someone who suggests that a club which can sell 20,000 season-tickets and regularly sell-out a ground after three appalling seasons and a flirt with relegation can`t grow attendances further!

Believe whatever you feel comfortable with, but you don`t have an argument mate.

[/quote]

Like I said, you are in denial. What I have stated is accurate, not nice, but harsh reality. The notion of a wealthy investor (other than a rich "I''ve supported the Canries all my life" type investor with more money than sense) identifying Norwich as being a solid, gilt-edged investment is, frankly, nonsense. Sorry. I''ll be the first to apologise and eat my hat if an investor does appear on the scene. Truth is that I don''t own a hat and I don''t feel the need to rush out and buy one. Funny that.

See now this is what gets my goat. Why should we be happy to be this little old club? EG Wolves fans think they are a big club, but how exactly? because they had a moment of success years ago? Norwich can fill the stadium every week, so the supports there. If a Wolves fan thinks they are a big club because of history, does that make, Blackpool, Huddersfield etc bigger clubs than us? There is more potential here than at Blackburn, Middlesboro, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Bolton, Fulham, Wigan, etc who cant even sell out home games against the likes of Man Utd. Why should we settle for it? I love this club and support every team selected to play 100% but will never be behind this board. They had there chance to prove themselves in the summer we got promoted and every season since but have let us down with play sales and pitful excuses, and that prat Doncaster even compares us to Gretna to give reason why not to invest. the same Gretna who play at another ground because theres is too small and get gates of less than 2,000! Doncaster is just the patronising mouthpiece for this shocking board, who thinks we believe every word he says.He should be the 1st out of the door when this shower do sell up, hes done nothing but lie and patronise the fans who deserve more. now no-one can disagree that we deserve more than what we have if the likes of Wolves do?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]See now this is what gets my goat. Why should we be happy to be this little old club? EG Wolves fans think they are a big club, but how exactly? because they had a moment of success years ago? Norwich can fill the stadium every week, so the supports there. If a Wolves fan thinks they are a big club because of history, does that make, Blackpool, Huddersfield etc bigger clubs than us? There is more potential here than at Blackburn, Middlesboro, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Bolton, Fulham, Wigan, etc who cant even sell out home games against the likes of Man Utd. Why should we settle for it? I love this club and support every team selected to play 100% but will never be behind this board. They had there chance to prove themselves in the summer we got promoted and every season since but have let us down with play sales and pitful excuses, and that prat Doncaster even compares us to Gretna to give reason why not to invest. the same Gretna who play at another ground because theres is too small and get gates of less than 2,000! Doncaster is just the patronising mouthpiece for this shocking board, who thinks we believe every word he says.He should be the 1st out of the door when this shower do sell up, hes done nothing but lie and patronise the fans who deserve more. now no-one can disagree that we deserve more than what we have if the likes of Wolves do?[/quote]

GOOD POST

Ah, interesting post Train guard!

To be a big club you need:

• Large fan base with good support
  • History of success
  • Backed financially

We have only one of these, thanks to our fantastic support we support our team superb home and away. Unfortuantly we have only won two league cups and competed in Europe once. Financially we are kept afloat and invested to the point of safety but we are not competitive in the transfer market for reasons we don''t know. We have potential to be bigger than Middlesbrough, Bolton, Blackburn and Fulham but there is more cure than prevention-for example we would rather build a restaurant that will make profits in 3 years time than invest in a player that will take us to that next step. We once did it with huckerby and we got promoted...don''t expect it again anytime soon.

OTBC

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]See now this is what gets my goat. Why should we be happy to be this little old club? EG Wolves fans think they are a big club, but how exactly? because they had a moment of success years ago? Norwich can fill the stadium every week, so the supports there. If a Wolves fan thinks they are a big club because of history, does that make, Blackpool, Huddersfield etc bigger clubs than us? There is more potential here than at Blackburn, Middlesboro, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Bolton, Fulham, Wigan, etc who cant even sell out home games against the likes of Man Utd. Why should we settle for it? I love this club and support every team selected to play 100% but will never be behind this board. They had there chance to prove themselves in the summer we got promoted and every season since but have let us down with play sales and pitful excuses, and that prat Doncaster even compares us to Gretna to give reason why not to invest. the same Gretna who play at another ground because theres is too small and get gates of less than 2,000! Doncaster is just the patronising mouthpiece for this shocking board, who thinks we believe every word he says.He should be the 1st out of the door when this shower do sell up, hes done nothing but lie and patronise the fans who deserve more. now no-one can disagree that we deserve more than what we have if the likes of Wolves do?[/quote]

Who cares what Wolves fans think? They are a national laughing stock. Sorry W8WBA but it''s true. You''re perenially disappointed, smaller-than-you-think-you-are hasbeens of national football and everyone knows it apart from themselves.

Why do you want to be like them?

It''s all about money and nothing to do with "deserving" it. You got money? Fine. No? Shut up then.

[quote user="Mook"]

Who cares what Wolves fans think? They are a national laughing stock. Sorry W8WBA but it''s true. You''re perenially disappointed, smaller-than-you-think-you-are hasbeens of national football and everyone knows it apart from themselves.

Why do you want to be like them?

It''s all about money and nothing to do with "deserving" it. You got money? Fine. No? Shut up then.

[/quote]

You smug prat! Did you actually read my post before replying? I suggest you go back and read it again. Where do I say I want to be like wolves you fool? I use them as an example!

[quote user="Matt"]

• History of success

• Backed financially

We have only one of these, thanks to our fantastic support we support our team superb home and away. Unfortuantly we have only won two league cups and competed in Europe once. Financially we are kept afloat and invested to the point of safety but we are not competitive in the transfer market for reasons we don''t know. We have potential to be bigger than Middlesbrough, Bolton, Blackburn and Fulham but there is more cure than prevention-for example we would rather build a restaurant that will make profits in 3 years time than invest in a player that will take us to that next step. We once did it with huckerby and we got promoted...don''t expect it again anytime soon.

OTBC

[/quote]

we have been in 4 league cup finals, and did we not qualify for europe during the british ban., throw in some league and fa cup semis, a few promotions, i would say in recent history we are bigger than some clubs spouted as big boys.

[quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

There is absolutely no way whatsoever that you are above average in size. You are very keen on providing us with ''reality checks'' - thought it was time to return the favour.

[quote user="ricky knight"]last time Wolves won anything, Noah presented the trophy.[/quote]

Spot on Ricky [Y][Y][Y]

I know you''re not accustomed to praise, Arthur, but that is a very good post.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="Matt"]

• History of success

• Backed financially

OTBC

[/quote]

we have been in 4 league cup finals, and did we not qualify for europe during the british ban., throw in some league and fa cup semis, a few promotions, i would say in recent history we are bigger than some clubs spouted as big boys.

[/quote]

Yes, I was gonna mention the European qualification during the 80''s but I thought someone would mention the ban and the fact is we have only competed once. We''ve had one promotion in recent years and when you look at Bolton and West Brom we  aren''t consistant. I would love to say we are a big club and we may deserve it but until we spend big and do well we just won''t be accepted as one!

[quote user="ricky knight"]last time Wolves won anything, Noah presented the trophy.[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha. That made me laugh anyway, Ricky. Ah a good laugh! That''s something that''s quite rare these days on this board.

Who cares, we are what we are and we might as well get used to it.

For my money you can''t be a big club when your ground capacity is under 27,000.

[quote user="we8wba"]

wolves list of honours

1st european champions

They are also the first team to score 7,000 league goals[10].

norwich list of honours

HonourYear(s)
Second tier Champions1971–72, 1985–86, 2003–04
Third tier Champions1933–34
Third tier Runners Up1959–60
League Cup Winners1962, 1985
League Cup Runners Up1973, 1975

all got from internet - please correct if any wrong

NOW LISTEN TO THIS

how can you say wolves living in the past when your doing the very same

fact norwich been in premier one season in last 13?

so to say you been in their longer means you are doing the very same as me

lets face it norwichs greatest achievment is

beating bayern munich - not reaching cup final or winning it but winning a uefa cup match

but as i said neither of us will agree with one or another so tonight i will post up question on betfair forum saying "who is the bigger club wolves or norwich?"

i wont write anything to influence anyone

and i''ll post up all comments on here tommorow morning

seems fair to me? agreed?

[/quote]Oh my god!The last three on there can hardly count surely?!!! I mean are the two American ones even officially recognised as competative competitions? I don''t think many people out there would be sad enough to know them apart from anything else. Thats like having a CV and putting Hall Monitor down as an achievement!The Football League War Cup is recognised but back then some teams were shut-down or relying on players that did not qualify to go off and fight, it wasn''t as if you had full strength teams etc.So taking all of that into contention I would say that since 1989 (19 years ago) your only real piece of history is gaining promotion through the play-offs.Since then Norwich have been on one of their richest veigns of success in that we spent years in the top flight - were narrowly beaten in the play-off final (something you fail to mention at all in our list of achievements) and won the last season as the old 1st division to become promoted to the Premiership, which by the way we narrowly missed out on qualifying for Europe through the fair play route if I remember correctly.May I also point out that prior to that the only things for ten years or so are promotions from levels of football that we were not in - which is hardly fair to compare is it? I mean winners of div four can''t be better than already being in div 3 for example. I mean well done for winning promotion but thats like saying a team that has been up and down a few times is better than say Liverpool who haven''t the accolades but have been competing at the top end of football in this country for decades.I am also guessing that the Sherpa Vans Trophy is the equivelent of the LDV Vans Trophy which is around (or was) recently. In which case once again don''t you have to be below a certain level to be able to take part in it?So essentially when comparing the two teams we are going back to 1980 when you last one something where you could argue we were competing at the same level. Well I would say that your glory days really came before that and ours after. So if you are arguing who has more history - I applaud you. But if you are talking about the size of the club then the last twenty five years or so don''t really bare much fruit for Wolves.I mean if you are going to use Wikipedia for research then you should include all of the information such as Norwich missing out on European action for a few years because of a ban on English clubs, the fact that from 1985-1995 we spent in the top tier including the forming of the premiership.Again this just goes to point out that if you consider recent history as in the last 25 years Norwich have been more successful and built more of a reputation. If you are talking about the last 60 years and predominently the first 35 years of it then yes Wolves have the bigger history to a certain degree. But I wonder which makes the club bigger now? Most of your recent success is credited to Sir Jack Hayward who it seems pratically rebuilt your stadium and pumped money into the team.