Sign in to follow this  
Unlucky Fried Kitten

Adams can climb off that fence at last!

Hope he carries on @ Radio Norfolk the way he has been. He knows his stuff and he tries to see both sides of an argument/issue, which is no bad thing in my book.

I like listening to Neil''s commentary, so I hope that continues. I do think that his position with the club implied a conflict of interest, but then he only coached the U14s so wasn''t exactly a full time, crucial member of Glen''s regime!I''m not sure I like what I''ve seen of Roeder as a person (things seem to get very personal very quickly, and he doesn''t take criticism at all well), and certainly wouldn''t want to work under him, but at the end of the day he has to do the job to the best of his ability. If he thinks we need a shake up in these areas then it''s his decision. If people fearing for their jobs improves performance, then I''m all for it.I don''t think anybody can deny the club is percieved as a "nice" place to work as opposed to a place where you have to work your ass off to keep your cushy job, and if this has been true in the past, I am delighted Roeder is doing his best to change it. It might not be nice for the staff, but we''re a football club not a charity. In this results-driven, money-oriented business, if results aren''t there, then why should the staff be kept on?I do, however, hope Glen isn''t getting a superiority complex tho - perhaps he needs reminding that he works for the shareholders, Wiz, and the rest of the fans?! [;)]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="CaptnCanary"]

Neil replacing Roy Waller is similar in many ways to Martin Brundle replacing Murray Walker. Neil and Martin can talk intelligently about their sports having been involved at the highest level and that makes for great commentary. Roy and Murray, although loveable and enthusiatic characters never had that technical knowledge which I appreciate hearing.

[/quote]

Agree with the point you''re trying to make, but you''re 100% wrong on Murray Walker.
Murray Walker has forgotten more about Formula 1 than the likes of for instance James Allen could ever hope to know.
Murry was commentating on racing when Fangio was WC, and has seen the lot. No one has a better understanding of the evolution of the sport than him. Just because he tripped over his words occasionally doesn''t mean he knows nothing.
[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong. I loved Murray. And while he may know everything about the history of the sport etc, he honestly didn''t have a good knowledge of the technical aspects of designing, building or driving a Formula 1 car. I know. I used to design the Subaru World Rally car. Thats why I appreciate the technical aspects of Martin Brundle''s commentary. He has the insight and intelligence to understand it all from within the teams he has worked with. I''m sorry but love him as all of us racing fans did, Murray didn''t have that.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Really? I''ll bow to your greater knowledge CJF because I''m rarely around to watch it on the wireless.

At what point during the 18 month protest did it become patently obvious [:^)]

Surely Canary Call is another vehicle for the fans to air their views and the opinion of the host is incidental?

[/quote]

When he accidentally admitted it, having previously ducked and dived around the question for months refusing to be drawn on the issue.  Rick Waghorn even admitted in an article even if he thought Worthy should go he wouldnt be able to write it for fear of losing his enviable position and access to the club.

As for watching on the wireless, I usually get back to the car in time for canary call at 5.00.

And you are right it was 18 months of dire football and watching the club go down the pan before he was finally removed.  The damage Worthington did has never been repaired and was in fact added too by the idiot Grant.

Surely Canary Call is another vehicle for the fans to air their views and the opinion of the host is incidental?

[/quote]

not on any footy talk show I have watched or listened too

[quote user="Fellas"]Adams being sacked doesn''t really bother me. Carolan more of a concern but again not entirely annoyed at that. My concern is, if you mess with roeder you are shown the door. Hux is probably one of the first, but almost certainly not the last. What if we bring in a 25 goal per season striker and we are in the play-offs but he falls out with roeder? Will he be shown the door. Will he sacrfise business to acheive his personal objectives. Maybe I am making too much of this, but then again I''m sick of the managers we have had in recent times who let personal things get ahead of the business on the pitch.
[/quote]

You mean like when Sir Alex Ferguson, the country''s most succesful manager, fell out with (then shipped out) the following players:

Paul Ince, Jap Staam, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, David Beckham, Ruud Van Nistelrooy - And you can bet your life that if Ronaldo ever crosses him , he''ll be out the door too.

ALL managers will get rid of people they think are not pulling in the same direction, that''s the point of being a manager. If you can get your team working with you, as a unit, then you will be more succesful than having little splinter groups. If he believes that someone is too egotistical, or not good enough, for a place in his "team" then is that a personal issue, or a business issue? It''s a personal belief that someone will not help the team.

[quote user="GJP"]Hope he carries on @ Radio Norfolk the way he has been. He knows his stuff and he tries to see both sides of an argument/issue, which is no bad thing in my book.[/quote]

It is a very boring tho. The only thing that makes canary call bearable is the idiots that call in.  Unfortunatly they really show Norfolk people as a bunch of poorly educated country bumpkins - Which is not the case.

[quote user="Mook"]

[quote user="Fellas"]Adams being sacked doesn''t really bother me. Carolan more of a concern but again not entirely annoyed at that. My concern is, if you mess with roeder you are shown the door. Hux is probably one of the first, but almost certainly not the last. What if we bring in a 25 goal per season striker and we are in the play-offs but he falls out with roeder? Will he be shown the door. Will he sacrfise business to acheive his personal objectives. Maybe I am making too much of this, but then again I''m sick of the managers we have had in recent times who let personal things get ahead of the business on the pitch.[/quote]

You mean like when Sir Alex Ferguson, the country''s most succesful manager, fell out with (then shipped out) the following players:

Paul Ince, Jap Staam, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, David Beckham, Ruud Van Nistelrooy - And you can bet your life that if Ronaldo ever crosses him , he''ll be out the door too.

ALL managers will get rid of people they think are not pulling in the same direction, that''s the point of being a manager. If you can get your team working with you, as a unit, then you will be more succesful than having little splinter groups. If he believes that someone is too egotistical, or not good enough, for a place in his "team" then is that a personal issue, or a business issue? It''s a personal belief that someone will not help the team.

[/quote]Your not really going to start comparing Roeder and Ferguson?  Remember when Ferguson has a problem with a player or member of staff he never puts it out in the press - ''What I don''t like is the way people in and around the club have tried

to say there is a problem between the two of us. He has gone out of his

way to say there isn''t. I have gone out of my way - although I don''t

feel I have to go out of my way - to say there isn''t.“And yet

these nasty, irritating people that try and cause confrontation between

myself and a player, between myself and supporters, are just bad people.''(The only one who came over as nasty in the above was Roeder)  Also ferguson has the ability and financial backing to bring players in better than the one he has got rid of - Hope he has a few million to replace Hucks.  I''m begining to think Mr Roeder has something of an over inflated ego frankly. Oh and I think Ferguson has won a thing or two.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="Mook"]

[quote user="Fellas"]Adams being sacked doesn''t really bother me. Carolan more of a concern but again not entirely annoyed at that. My concern is, if you mess with roeder you are shown the door. Hux is probably one of the first, but almost certainly not the last. What if we bring in a 25 goal per season striker and we are in the play-offs but he falls out with roeder? Will he be shown the door. Will he sacrfise business to acheive his personal objectives. Maybe I am making too much of this, but then again I''m sick of the managers we have had in recent times who let personal things get ahead of the business on the pitch.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your not really going to start comparing Roeder and Ferguson?  Remember when Ferguson has a problem with a player or member of staff he never puts it out in the press -

''What I don''t like is the way people in and around the club have tried to say there is a problem between the two of us. He has gone out of his way to say there isn''t. I have gone out of my way - although I don''t feel I have to go out of my way - to say there isn''t.

“And yet these nasty, irritating people that try and cause confrontation between myself and a player, between myself and supporters, are just bad people.''

(The only one who came over as nasty in the above was Roeder)  Also ferguson has the ability and financial backing to bring players in better than the one he has got rid of - Hope he has a few million to replace Hucks.  I''m begining to think Mr Roeder has something of an over inflated ego frankly. Oh and I think Ferguson has won a thing or two.
[/quote]

I''m not comparing the managers, merely the objective. To bring a team of people, with the same mentality, pulling in the same direction, together.

Presumably if this was a personal issue as some of you are so keen to claim, why are these other 3 being shipped out as well? Were they also personal issues?Surely if it were such a personal issue, then he would''ve sacked Adams when this happened a good six months ago.Of course he''s well known for being an ex player and for providing the ''expert'' analysis on the radio, a job I think he does quite well, but step back and take a look at what''s really happened - an under-14 coach has been sacked. Nearly all of us agree that the youth set-up leaves a great deal to be desired and Roeder''s started overhauling it, so good luck to the bloke. About bleeding time if you ask me. Hopefully there''ll be a lot more shakeups at the club too because many things are clearly not going the way they could or should be.

Interesting quote from Roeder

“It is easy being a manager when you are one of 25,000 sitting in the stand or if you are an ex-player who is now working for the media who will never manage anything better than an under-10 team, thinking he knows best - and you know what I''m talking about, and I will deal with that, trust me. I''m a nice bloke, but not always.”

I have always enjoyed Neil Adams commentary, sure he sits on the fence abit but he knows his football and I hope he continues to be a member of radio Norfolk.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

When he accidentally admitted it, having previously ducked and dived around the question for months refusing to be drawn on the issue.  Rick Waghorn even admitted in an article even if he thought Worthy should go he wouldnt be able to write it for fear of losing his enviable position and access to the club.

[/quote]

That just brings me back to my original point about being unable to understand why Neil Adams is so important on this message board. If Neil Adams were to say Docherty had a good game he would be ridiculed whether it was true or not. If Neil Adams was to say the club were right sticking by their manager he would be accused of cosying up to the board. But if he let slip one word that backed up the anti club mentality around here he would be seen as the new messiah who had been telling lies for months in fear of losing his job. How many lies would you tell to keep your job Foggy? I can assure you I wouldn''t tell any.

Citizen Journalist Foghorn wrote:

As for watching on the wireless, I usually get back to the car in time for canary call at 5.00.

I wasn''t trying to imply you didn''t go to games, I was just saying that I rarely get to watch it on the wireless so wasn''t as well placed as you to comment.

Citizen Journalist Foghorn wrote:

And you are right it was 18 months of dire football and watching the club go down the pan before he was finally removed.  The damage Worthington did has never been repaired and was in fact added too by the idiot Grant.

How long are you going to blame Worthy for? The truth is that we never finished below 9th in this league where as no other manager has finished higher than 9th since our relegation in 1995. The last 18 months have been worse than anything we ever endured under Worthy.

Adams must have the most painful arse in football after sitting on the fence all these years. Well done Roeder, you have got rid of the boring northern tit!

I never get to watch Neil Adams on the wireless. I do sometimes listen to him though!

[quote user="CaptnCanary"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="CaptnCanary"]

Neil replacing Roy Waller is similar in many ways to Martin Brundle replacing Murray Walker. Neil and Martin can talk intelligently about their sports having been involved at the highest level and that makes for great commentary. Roy and Murray, although loveable and enthusiatic characters never had that technical knowledge which I appreciate hearing.

[/quote]

Agree with the point you''re trying to make, but you''re 100% wrong on Murray Walker.
Murray Walker has forgotten more about Formula 1 than the likes of for instance James Allen could ever hope to know.
Murry was commentating on racing when Fangio was WC, and has seen the lot. No one has a better understanding of the evolution of the sport than him. Just because he tripped over his words occasionally doesn''t mean he knows nothing.
[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong. I loved Murray. And while he may know everything about the history of the sport etc, he honestly didn''t have a good knowledge of the technical aspects of designing, building or driving a Formula 1 car. I know. I used to design the Subaru World Rally car. Thats why I appreciate the technical aspects of Martin Brundle''s commentary. He has the insight and intelligence to understand it all from within the teams he has worked with. I''m sorry but love him as all of us racing fans did, Murray didn''t have that.

[/quote]

Well can you go back to Subaru darn quick, cos their cars have been cr@p for about 4 years now [sn]. (Unless yours was the first of the cr@p [:$])    [;)][;)]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Adams must have the most painful arse in football after sitting on the fence all these years. Well done Roeder, you have got rid of the boring northern tit![/quote]Yes I agree Arthur. I wish Neil Adams would quit with his boring (yet insightful and informative) football commentary and instead talk about something far more interesting.Like, I don''t know, the Pigeons near the market in the City Centre? That terribly inconsequential QPR game and its commentary would definitely have been improved!

[quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Adams must have the most painful arse in football after sitting on the fence all these years. Well done Roeder, you have got rid of the boring northern tit![/quote]

Yes I agree Arthur. I wish Neil Adams would quit with his boring (yet insightful and informative) football commentary and instead talk about something far more interesting.

Like, I don''t know, the Pigeons near the market in the City Centre? That terribly inconsequential QPR game and its commentary would definitely have been improved!
[/quote]

Insightful and imformative? I take it you dont listen to the boring slug then? Dull and duller would be more appropriate.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Adams must have the most painful arse in football after sitting on the fence all these years. Well done Roeder, you have got rid of the boring northern tit![/quote]Yes I agree Arthur. I wish Neil Adams would quit with his boring (yet insightful and informative) football commentary and instead talk about something far more interesting.Like, I don''t know, the Pigeons near the market in the City Centre? That terribly inconsequential QPR game and its commentary would definitely have been improved![/quote]

Insightful and imformative? I take it you dont listen to the boring slug then? Dull and duller would be more appropriate.

[/quote]Actually, I only listen to him for away games. If you think his commentary is terrible, I assume you haven''t a) watched Sky Championship commentary, or b) listened to any other teams'' local radio commentary!Still, maybe you''re right - I suppose you''ve listened to far more Radio Norfolk this season than I have.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Adams must have the most painful arse in football after sitting on the fence all these years. Well done Roeder, you have got rid of the boring northern tit![/quote]

Yes I agree Arthur. I wish Neil Adams would quit with his boring (yet insightful and informative) football commentary and instead talk about something far more interesting.

Like, I don''t know, the Pigeons near the market in the City Centre? That terribly inconsequential QPR game and its commentary would definitely have been improved!
[/quote]

[/quote]

No we go to the games to watch first hand [:D]

[quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually, I only listen to him for away games. If you think his commentary is terrible, I assume you haven''t a) watched Sky Championship commentary, or b) listened to any other teams'' local radio commentary!

Still, maybe you''re right - I suppose you''ve listened to far more Radio Norfolk this season than I have.
[/quote]Adams is very good on the radio. He was also a good player here. Anyone who calls him "a boring slug" or "northern tit" has got other issues with him.

[quote user="cityangel"]I like Neil Adams, enjoy his column and think he does a good job on match days for us with Chris Goreham.[/quote]

I agree with what you say Angel, apart from his miserable sounding tone Adams'' O.K. by me.

Maybe G.R. is being vengeful  because Adams spoke out on Radio Norfolk about team selection a while back.

[quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually, I only listen to him for away games. If you think his commentary is terrible, I assume you haven''t a) watched Sky Championship commentary, or b) listened to any other teams'' local radio commentary!

Still, maybe you''re right - I suppose you''ve listened to far more Radio Norfolk this season than I have.
[/quote]

I have listened to sky and other local stations while working away and the local stations, such as barsley have a hell of a lot more passion and dont sit on the fence like that dullard.

The last 18 months have been worse than anything we ever endured under Worthy.

[/quote]

Actually since Worthy messed everything up no manager has had a full season of their own.  And I will give Worthy one thing, he can''t be blamed for hiring the inept Peter Grant.

[quote user="Steve Burns"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No we go to the games to watch first hand [:D]

[/quote]

Steve my friend its only this season where i havent gone in protest, ive got over 50 odd years clocked under my home game belt my man.

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Adams is very good on the radio. He was also a good player here. Anyone who calls him "a boring slug" or "northern tit" has got other issues with him.[/quote]

No he is a boring slug and a northern tit!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Will Radio Norfolk want him now, and will the club put pressure on them not to allow him into Carrow Road?. West Ham''s fans say Ratty nearly destroyed their club, hmm? I can see why now.

[/quote]Neil Adams got sacked. Yep, sounds like the beginning of destruction to me wiz [^o)]

Oh Arthur, you make me so proud of my Norfolk heritage - what with your intelligent and tolerant views on people who were born outside our fair county and country. I particularly like the mature "stamp feet" approach you take to anybody who disagrees with you. I think everybody admires that sort of approach.Also, please don''t rush back to us all at Carrow Road next season, I think you staying away is an absolutely tremendous way of protesting! Just don''t tune in to Radio Norfolk on a Saturday...

Give me 90 minutes of Neil Adams versus 5 minutes of Stephen Bumfrey any day. Anyone critical of Adams and Goreham obviously (and very sensibly) don''t listen to much Radio Norfolk. I hope he stays. Think he''s a genuine bloke who is professional enough to know you don''t achieve much by criticising the less-than-talented for the sake of it but is always ready to say if someone had a poor game. As for his comments on Roeder, I didn''t think he said anything too critical - he just had a different view on playing Hucks and two wingers in particular. I hope he stays on in the media - I enjoy listening to both of them when I cannot get to the game - but sometimes I even listen when I''m there! And I hope Roeder succeeds. Not only in turning City around but in making me like him and his methods, because that is all part of wanting to support your club. At the moment, the jury is out as far as I am concerned. A team of  "Loon" players, for all its success won''t feel like a City team to me.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

The last 18 months have been worse than anything we ever endured under Worthy.

[/quote]

Actually since Worthy messed everything up no manager has had a full season of their own.  And I will give Worthy one thing, he can''t be blamed for hiring the inept Peter Grant.

[/quote]

Well how long before it''s no longer Worthy''s fault CJF?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="tribes"][quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Adams is very good on the radio. He was also a good player here. Anyone who calls him "a boring slug" or "northern tit" has got other issues with him.[/quote]

No he is a boring slug and a northern tit!

[/quote]I presume that anyone who comes from somewhere that is 20 miles more northerly than Norwich is "northern" then. Like Cromer or Sheringham. He comes from Stoke which is 20 miles further north than Norwich.