Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Simpl question.......

Why the hell do people still support this board when this is the worst performance in 44 years? Not an attention seeking thread,just want opinions.

Sorry Arthur but I think the question is maybe wrong.  I don''t support the board, I support the team. 

The board will come and go (maybe not soon enough for some), so will players (some of whom we will love and some we will be glad to see the back of), we will have good seasons and terrible ones, bad managers and good ones.  Throughout it all I will still love the team I grew up watching as to appreciate the highs I guess you have to experience some of the lows of recent seasons - its all part and parcel of being a supporter of a club outside the big four where some measure of success is a given.  We all know realistically we are going to win sod all each season but you still hope and dream.

Personally I think most people are the same at the end of the day.  I/They think the board have made mistakes, and should have spent more to keep us in the Prem, but I/they also think that the board have what they perceive as the clubs best interests at heart and dont take decisions to deliberately harm the club.  To err is human afterall.  I dont envy them their task because it is always easier to criticise than to make the decision.

I dont count myself as pro or anti the board, but I do know I (like every other supporter) wish we were doing better than we are right now.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

Sorry Arthur but I think the question is maybe wrong.  I don''t support the board, I support the team. 

The board will come and go (maybe not soon enough for some), so will players (some of whom we will love and some we will be glad to see the back of), we will have good seasons and terrible ones, bad managers and good ones.  Throughout it all I will still love the team I grew up watching as to appreciate the highs I guess you have to experience some of the lows of recent seasons - its all part and parcel of being a supporter of a club outside the big four where some measure of success is a given.  We all know realistically we are going to win sod all each season but you still hope and dream.

Personally I think most people are the same at the end of the day.  I/They think the board have made mistakes, and should have spent more to keep us in the Prem, but I/they also think that the board have what they perceive as the clubs best interests at heart and dont take decisions to deliberately harm the club.  To err is human afterall.  I dont envy them their task because it is always easier to criticise than to make the decision.

I dont count myself as pro or anti the board, but I do know I (like every other supporter) wish we were doing better than we are right now.

[/quote]

How can you not be either pro or anti board? You must be a ''head in the sand'' sort of person, i guess?

Are they doing a good job in your opinion? Yes / No?

Simple answer is I support the club. We don''t have any viable options at the moment and I would rather have them, than some numpty like Manderic, who does for his own self asteem and nowt else. I don''t see many other people willing to invest, and this is not an argument about the rights and wrongs of that at this stage. The thing is Arther, I think the majority of fans are in favour of the board, message boards like this, are always going to have people who are more vocal in arguments, most real people are in favour of the board.

[quote user="canaries in Bed"]Simple answer is I support the club. We don''t have any viable options at the moment and I would rather have them, than some numpty like Manderic, who does for his own self asteem and nowt else. I don''t see many other people willing to invest, and this is not an argument about the rights and wrongs of that at this stage. The thing is Arther, I think the majority of fans are in favour of the board, message boards like this, are always going to have people who are more vocal in arguments, most real people are in favour of the board.[/quote]

Agree 100% with everything said here.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Why the hell do people still support this board when this is the worst performance in 44 years? Not an attention seeking thread,just want opinions.[/quote]

I think with all clubs Mr Whittle we support our team, not a particular Board.  There must have been times that all fan''s have not approved of things done by the Board (or sometimes by the Manager) but at the end of the day there is usually little we can do about it.

I''m always optimistic about a new season although sometimes it does go downhill when it starts.............

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

[/quote]

I support the Team like any real fan should, but what really riles me is how some people will go on about the likes of Chase,yet we were never in this situation under the likes of him [and yes i was on the protests to get rid of him at the end for the better of the CLUB]? Why are we so complacent in questioning this board? I dont go at the minute because of my stance on the board but why were people asking for Delia and MWJ to give them a wave after we secured relegation from the old division 3? I''m pretty sure we we''re doing better when we called for the fat controllers head.

[quote user="Wings"]

[quote user="canaries in Bed"]Simple answer is I support the club. We don''t have any viable options at the moment and I would rather have them, than some numpty like Manderic, who does for his own self asteem and nowt else. I don''t see many other people willing to invest, and this is not an argument about the rights and wrongs of that at this stage. The thing is Arther, I think the majority of fans are in favour of the board, message boards like this, are always going to have people who are more vocal in arguments, most real people are in favour of the board.[/quote]

[/quote]

So most people are in favour of the board even though they have no reason to be apart from the same old ''NO ONE ELSE WILL HAVE US'' excuse? Bl**dy rubbish and you know it. As the likes of you keep asking the likes of me if i could prove if anyone would like to buy into the club,maybe i could ask you to prove me wrong? I mean, clubs seem to secure a deal sooner or later,just ask the scum, or any other bigger supported club like Reading,Portsmouth,Fulham,Boro,wigan, all the teams in the championship apart from Sheff utd..........[Did you see the irony?].

[quote user="archer4721"]

How can you not be either pro or anti board? You must be a ''head in the sand'' sort of person, i guess?

[/quote]

I dont consider myself a head in the sand person at all but if you want to label me that way fine.  I just think that it is a bit niaive to think everything can be seen as an either/or situation - in my experience life is seldom that simple.

Are they doing a good job?  You are not going to like my answer...In the sense that they got it wrong by not investing enough when we went up, and by staying loyal to a manager who was failing to deliver the goods too long, then appointing a cheap inexperienced replacement, then I would agree they could/should have done a better job as those have been crucial mistakes that have left us with the worst league position I have known in 30 years of supporting city. 

But, against that I see a club that is relatively financially stable in comparison to others and over whom there is not exactly a queue of billionaire investors fighting to throw money into. If a reliable investor turned up with money to put into the club out of love for it rather than a desire to turn a quick buck I guess I would be happy to say to the current crew, thanks and goodbye.  But alas I dont see that happening anytime soon.  So for now I reluctantly have to say I would rather be in our position with this board than where Leeds, Leicester etc find themselves.

My view on the board - 6.5/10, room for improvement but not the class dunce.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="archer4721"]

[/quote]

I dont consider myself a head in the sand person at all but if you want to label me that way fine.  I just think that it is a bit niaive to think everything can be seen as an either/or situation - in my experience life is seldom that simple.

Are they doing a good job?  You are not going to like my answer...In the sense that they got it wrong by not investing enough when we went up, and by staying loyal to a manager who was failing to deliver the goods too long, then appointing a cheap inexperienced replacement, then I would agree they could/should have done a better job as those have been crucial mistakes that have left us with the worst league position I have known in 30 years of supporting city. 

But, against that I see a club that is relatively financially stable in comparison to others and over whom there is not exactly a queue of billionaire investors fighting to throw money into. If a reliable investor turned up with money to put into the club out of love for it rather than a desire to turn a quick buck I guess I would be happy to say to the current crew, thanks and goodbye.  But alas I dont see that happening anytime soon.  So for now I reluctantly have to say I would rather be in our position with this board than where Leeds, Leicester etc find themselves.

My view on the board - 6.5/10, room for improvement but not the class dunce.

[/quote]

Leeds and Leicester? Reading, Wigan,Portsmouth [Mandaric],boro, fulham,....come on mate you''ll be doing the Doomcaster''s greatest ever piece of spin yet and throw in the mighty Gretna! Think Stoke with half our attendences and minus the parachute payments. Our lot couldn''t run a tap,simple as.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

I support the Team like any real fan should, but what really riles me is how some people will go on about the likes of Chase,yet we were never in this situation under the likes of him [and yes i was on the protests to get rid of him at the end for the better of the CLUB]? Why are we so complacent in questioning this board? I dont go at the minute because of my stance on the board but why were people asking for Delia and MWJ to give them a wave after we secured relegation from the old division 3? I''m pretty sure we we''re doing better when we called for the fat controllers head.

[/quote]

I respect your stand on not attending Arthur (although if I was able to attend games I would personally still do so). 

I think it is sad that our expectations levels have sunk as far as they have, but for this season considering where we were I think the celebrations after QPR were more of relief than delight.  Yes the board should be asked some tough questions about why the prudence/ambition mantra still seems to ring out when the evidence suggests it is not delivering the goods on the pitch.  But maybe I feel uncomfortable with the vendetta approach to doing this that some people seem to take - the Saint Delia image may have a large dollop of spin in the mix but equally she has done an awful lot for the club as well over the years.

We need change but it should come from evolution not revolution because I too remember the last days of Chase and lets not forget it has been generally down hill ever since his forced ejection.  A repeat of that upheavel in the current financial climate could prove fatal.

We all want better Arthur, just we dont quite agree on how to get it.  But life would be dull if we did. [:)]

come on mate you''ll be doing the Doomcaster''s greatest ever piece of spin yet and throw in the mighty Gretna!.[/quote]

Lol Arthur I could never stoop so low!

[quote user="camuldonum"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Why the hell do people still support this board when this is the worst performance in 44 years? Not an attention seeking thread,just want opinions.[/quote]

I think with all clubs Mr Whittle we support our team, not a particular Board.  There must have been times that all fan''s have not approved of things done by the Board (or sometimes by the Manager) but at the end of the day there is usually little we can do about it.

I''m always optimistic about a new season although sometimes it does go downhill when it starts.............

[/quote]

That''s the problem Camul.  At Norwich we have a sizeable number (albeit a fair few less since yesterday) who cannot or will not distinguish between supporting the board and supporting the club.  "You can''t criticise Delia, she saved this club" is their cry. 

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

Its alot like the "Support the troops, not the politicians" thing during the Iraq war.

Support the team, not the board in this case.

[/quote]

Just about sums it up. Well said that man.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

So most people are in favour of the board even though they have no reason to be apart from the same old ''NO ONE ELSE WILL HAVE US'' excuse? Bl**dy rubbish and you know it. As the likes of you keep asking the likes of me if i could prove if anyone would like to buy into the club,maybe i could ask you to prove me wrong? I mean, clubs seem to secure a deal sooner or later,just ask the scum, or any other bigger supported club like Reading,Portsmouth,Fulham,Boro,wigan, all the teams in the championship apart from Sheff utd..........[Did you see the irony?].

[/quote]

Readin, Wigan, Boro and Fulham have the same money man for an age now. I''m not saying no one will have us, but have we had any bids (Or bids we know about). Just because other teams get investment, doesn''t mean that we do. I want new investment, but what I was saying is that most people I have spoken to, know that we don''t have a big time sugar daddy, Delia has put in a fair amount for someone of her wealth, too small in todays Russian terms, but thatsthe football world we live in. We don''t have a devine right to get new investment, I wish we did. I don''t understand why we don''t get investment and I don''t believ for one second the comment made by Delia, that we would only take ''local'' investment.

We do have to look at ourselfs as a club as to why we don''t have new investment, is is location? I don''t know, we have a good fan base, we have a good ground and resources, we don''t have the playing staff to be big at the moment but it has not stopped moneymen before. We are not in big big debt like others, well it is big, but manageable. I know the owners of QPR chose them because of the West London style and closeness to their business bases. I don''t know the answers, I am trying to be reasonable to the whys and whatfors of it all.

[quote user="canaries in Bed"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Readin, Wigan, Boro and Fulham have the same money man for an age now. I''m not saying no one will have us, but have we had any bids (Or bids we know about). Just because other teams get investment, doesn''t mean that we do. I want new investment, but what I was saying is that most people I have spoken to, know that we don''t have a big time sugar daddy, Delia has put in a fair amount for someone of her wealth, too small in todays Russian terms, but thatsthe football world we live in. We don''t have a devine right to get new investment, I wish we did. I don''t understand why we don''t get investment and I don''t believ for one second the comment made by Delia, that we would only take ''local'' investment.

We do have to look at ourselfs as a club as to why we don''t have new investment, is is location? I don''t know, we have a good fan base, we have a good ground and resources, we don''t have the playing staff to be big at the moment but it has not stopped moneymen before. We are not in big big debt like others, well it is big, but manageable. I know the owners of QPR chose them because of the West London style and closeness to their business bases. I don''t know the answers, I am trying to be reasonable to the whys and whatfors of it all.

[/quote]

As a matter of interest, what do you think "manageable" means?

To me it means that we can pay it off without going bust but we can''t afford a team as well . . .

I apreciate the off field good state of the club but we are badly underperforming on the football side and that hurts!

Yesterdays unbelievable decision to get rid of one of our best players, who loves the club, which is nothing to do with his ability to be a force for the team next season is the totally wrong way to go!

Did the board know of Roeders Hucks decision quite a while ago and didn''t say ''owt while we were all in the process of renewing our season tickets?

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="canaries in Bed"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As a matter of interest, what do you think "manageable" means?

To me it means that we can pay it off without going bust but we can''t afford a team as well . . .

[/quote]

To be honest mate, I don''t know. I''m no finacial expert, I based it on guesswork. What I believe is that we have a large debt, too large,but that is the way football runs now. The debt is serviceable but it does have constraints on our player buying power and everybody knows that. But without investmemt, do we go OTT and get a larger debt for the chance of getting in the prem? I would not want us to go bust and do a Scum, mind you, they got away with it.

On reflection, a club needs to balance the needs of the debt and the needs of the player budget, we are not doing it right then. Does that mean that I want new investment? Oh yes. Does that mean I hate Delia and blame her and want her out? No. Like I have said, she and the board may not be perfect, but she still cares about the club. Thats not an excuse for her, its reality in my mind.

Question for you. Would you have a Evans type bloke, who does not care too much for the club? Do you believe that he has the best interest of the club and is a supporter or do you believe that he just wants the money and self adulation of owning a club? Thats questions applies to all I suppose, including Delia and Co.

CiB I''m no financial expert either.  Neither is it a case of "anyone but Delia" that would be silly. 

There''s a new report out by Deloitte (financial analysts) looking at the recent trend towards investment in Championship clubs.  It concludes that if investors want to make money from a Champ club the best way to do it is to invest in the football side, because even a single season in the Prem brings in more income than fiddlefarting about with off-field revenue streams could ever do.  The profit and parachute money then enables them to reinvest and so it goes on, with a view to eventually staying up for two seasons, then three and so on.  When we came down in 2005 with £9m pretax profit and £7m parachute payment I naively assumed that''s what we were going to do.  We didn''t and I don''t suppose we''ll ever know why.

In a nutshell, I don''t think we should necessarily be scared off by someone who sees the club as an investment opportunity.

To be honest the board have to a hell of a job to convince me that they have a thread of ambition. There has been far to many mistakes and a complete lack of leadership. How can they not have envisaged  this scenario where there is such a lack of quality from top to bottom. Poor poor management and a complete cultural change is needed including personal changes in the boardroom otherwise decline will continue.

We have to get with the times. Football is a business and if we get a Marcus Evans showing interest then i would be delighted. I hate to admit it, but the scum have pulled off a good bit of business there and have moved away from this ''family'' club bollx. They have realised that this is the way football is these days, do you really think in your heart of hearts that Evans doesnt have the best interests for the scum? He didnt make millions of pounds investing in something he would want to screw up, would he? (shame i know!)

We are alot closer than most people think from going into administration. Its still a VERY real possibility. We are in dark times, believe me.

I wouldn''t care if they are porn barons, arms dealers, or dinner ladies. Its the investment i care about, and the club badly needs it.

I think a major reason for the lack of interest is a lot down to our location. We have the fan base and stadium but are in the ar*e-end of nowhere. There must be a reason for it because where is the interest?

[quote user="Fat Prophet"]

CiB I''m no financial expert either.  Neither is it a case of "anyone but Delia" that would be silly. 

There''s a new report out by Deloitte (financial analysts) looking at the recent trend towards investment in Championship clubs.  It concludes that if investors want to make money from a Champ club the best way to do it is to invest in the football side, because even a single season in the Prem brings in more income than fiddlefarting about with off-field revenue streams could ever do.  The profit and parachute money then enables them to reinvest and so it goes on, with a view to eventually staying up for two seasons, then three and so on.  When we came down in 2005 with £9m pretax profit and £7m parachute payment I naively assumed that''s what we were going to do.  We didn''t and I don''t suppose we''ll ever know why.

In a nutshell, I don''t think we should necessarily be scared off by someone who sees the club as an investment opportunity.

[/quote] This site may help.    http://www.footballeconomy.com/

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Beds

Delia and Michael have bought a lot of shares. If they left tomorrow having sold them then they will have left nothing behind except their time and effort. Paid board members are something different. They are paid to run the club in a fit way. Are they doing so? Again open to debate.

Are most people in favour of the board? We don''t know do we. We can all quote those we know as being for or against. This messageboard merely reflects a few fan''s opinions, as does asking all your family members and friends for their opinions.

As for attracting new investment, Delia and Michael have made it hard for anyone other than those they personally favour to invest. Is this because they truly care for the club and worry about it getting into the wrong hands, or are they just power crazy and want to keep control? You decide again.

Of course there is investment, but if anyone wanted to come in and invest say over what the Turners have done, wouldn''t they wish for some sort of power/say in the running of the club. And when the major shareholders have control they aren''t going to get that.

[/quote]

I can prove you wrong. Ring Norwich and ask who their board of directors are. If they say Roger Munby, Delia Smith, Michael Wynn Jones etc etc. then we obviously haven''t had anyone interested.

I''m sure that if the right offer came along, our current board would accept it. Until that day, we''re stuck with what we''ve got.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Beds Delia and Michael have bought a lot of shares. If they left tomorrow having sold them then they will have left nothing behind except their time and effort.[/quote]

Not necessarily, shares are like all property and can be given away or sold at a reduced price if desired and the articles and memorandum of the company allow it. It doesn''t necessarily mean their investment will be returned.

[quote user="Wings"]

I''m sure that if the right offer came along, our current board would accept it. Until that day, we''re stuck with what we''ve got.

[/quote]

Thats the problem though Wings, investors don''t just come along, you have to do what Ipswich did and go out and find one.

Whilst Delia is reluctant to hand over the reins we''re stuck as we are!

[quote user="archer4721"]

We are alot closer than most people think from going into administration. Its still a VERY real possibility. We are in dark times, believe me.

[/quote]

Glad you said that, I''ve suspected it too.  The club borrowed money to speculate in land, which has cost us more money in terms of building access roads, drawing up plans and applying for planning permission, etc.  If we couldn''t sell it during the property boom it sure as hell ain''t going to happen now.  Problem is that the loan we took out to buy the land has to be paid back in full in 2008.  Restructuring the debt yet again is not going to be easy in the present climate.  Where''s the money going to come from?

I don''t really buy the "arse end of nowhere" line because the plus side is lack of competition for fanbase and let''s face it we''re only 110 miles from London.  There ARE investors keeping an eye on Championship clubs, including ours.  If you''re correct about the possibility of administration, potential investors will realise that too.  They''ll want to buy the club at the lowest possible price.  If they hang on till we''re on the point of going into admin they could get it for a song.