Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

The Golden Age of Norwich City.

The Golden Age of Norwich City was the ten years under Robert Chase. 1986-1996.

An undisputable fact.

And you can''t take that away from him.

Nor should those who know better try to forget the stunning work of Ken Brown, Dave Stringer and Mike Walker during our Golden Age.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

An undisputable fact.

Nor should those who know better try to forget the stunning work of Ken Brown, Dave Stringer and Mike Walker during our Golden Age.

OTBC

[/quote]

Thanks for that gem Robert/Cluck.  

An undisputable fact.

OTBC

..and?

An undisputable fact.

OTBC

[/quote]

Very good Babes... but those of us who were lucky enough to see the Golden Age of Norwich City will remember the most important person of all didn''t make your list. The quiet man who shunned publicity but was more responsible than anyone else for the quality of football played. And in the end this ommission sums you up Bly.. All headlines but no in depth analysis [:P]

You are our very own current bun [H] So I think I''ll stick to the crabline[8-|]

One of my biggest regrets is being slightly too young and not interested enough in football to remember our golden period so I can''t really comment. It does pain me however because all that was achieved will almost certainly never happen again in my lifetime. Because of a lack of Chase? No, because of Sky money, foreign investment, inflated player''s wages (when a club can be in the Premiership for years then be down in the Championship for a year and nearly go bust), increased agent involvement and the big time Charlie attitudes of teenage millionaires. A lot has changed since Chase went.

Maybe on the feild for a while, then things went tits up he sold all the best players and then took the money and then buggered off leaving us with huge debt.

Bring him back to put the final nail in the coffin

stupid post

how many were calling for his head at the time?

hey Bly?

bet you were one of them

Let me answer, let me answer........please?

Chase destroyed the golden age, crashed and burned royally. Chase sold Sutton & Fox for £9m and bought Neil Adams and a flower Mill. Left us without two pennies to rub together when the banking wolves were at the door.

Oh, Oh - I forgot and a South Stand nearing the end of its useful life, and gates at 15,000.

I tend to think that our success on the field in that period was inspite of him. We had a good youth team and managed to sign very good players from the reserves of bigger clubs which Chase usually sold on for good money. This policy fell apart when we sold Chris Sutton for 5 million but Chase didn''t supply any money to replace him and we went down.

What was even worse was persuading a brilliant manager to join us in Martin O Neill, promising him millions to spend on players and then refusing to give him 450,000 to spend on Dean Windass. O Neill left and that''s where the rot really started.

Of course it''s a different game now with most decent youth talent being snapped up as soon as they show any sign of promise and millions of pounds being asked for Premier league reserves.

An undisputable fact.

OTBC

[/quote]

I see where you''re coming from Bly but I don''t entirely agree.  The golden age was not just the Chase years but the whole era from 1972 to 1995 when we spent 20 out of 23 seasons in the top flight.  By gambling on selling players to pay for off-field extravagance, Chase managed to undo it all irrevocably in the space of six months.  Quite an achievement.  Had he been allowed to carry on in the same vein, we''d probably have gone bust.  Even the man himself has since admitted that he should have stepped down when we were relegated. 

Getting him out was not the best option, because there wasn''t a best option.  It was the least worst option.  I don''t think most of us imagined that everything would be wonderful as soon as he left, and that''s why we gave the current regime so much rope.  

Now it looks likely that we''re in a worse and more intractable mess than we were then.  So what have we learned?  With hindsight we ought to have started asking questions sooner, but more importantly we should have tried to change the club''s constitution as soon as Chase had gone, to prevent overall majority shareholders getting a stranglehold on the club again.  Didn''t the problems with Chase really start when he bought out a lot of small shareholders in about 1993/4 to give himself a controlling interest?  It became HIS club, he thought he could do whatever he liked and no one could stop him.  He was right of course, but the outcome was disastrous.  Sounds familiar?

We must never let it happen again.

Good to see some sense on this thread at last. Hear, hear,  Mr Prophet. As Bly would put it:

The success happened despite Chase.

He undid it all.

That''s undisputable (sic).

But if I post the opposite perhaps I''ll get some attention.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Good to see some sense on this thread at last. Hear, hear,  Mr Prophet. As Bly would put it:

The success happened despite Chase.

He undid it all.

That''s undisputable (sic).

But if I post the opposite perhaps I''ll get some attention.

[/quote]

That wasn''t exactly what I said.  Chase does deserves a certain amount of credit, but most of the spadework had already been done before he took over.    1986-95 wouldn''t have happened without 1972-85.

Some of you lot would have fired Winston Churchill during WW2 rather than at the end.

OTBC

[/quote]

I think Bly''s taken his ball home . . . [;)]

Some of you lot would have fired Winston Churchill during WW2 rather than at the end.

OTBC

[/quote]

You didn''t answer my question, were you one of the ones calling for his head at the time?

OTBC

[/quote]and you probably hold Adolf Hitlers Germany from 1933 to 1939 as their golden days!!  get real all things come to an end!!

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

and you probably hold Adolf Hitlers Germany from 1933 to 1939 as their golden days!!  get real all things come to an end!!
[/quote]

Using his logic he''d probably count ''39 to ''43 as their golden years.  

An undisputable fact.

OTBC

[/quote] So, what went wrong then Bly?

An undisputable fact.

OTBC

[/quote]

I agree they were good times except that they ended about January 1995 when we started a mammoth slide from 7th at Xmas 94 to relegation by end of the season. The period from January 95 until Chases departure around the end of the 95/96 season I would not describe as a ''glory'' time for the club cause we went from top premiership to 16th in what is now the Championship and were selling players of just to keep going and in fact very nearly did go out of business!

We''ve certainly reaped the benefits of Chases land deals in recent years although at the time it set us back the best part of 10 years and he wasted money on unecessary luxuries which would of been better spent on giving Walker a chance to build on his success!

When you look back on our (mostly) struggles since 1995 and look back at the Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, Mike Walker eras before that then we realise just how good we were for 10 years until the early 90''s and how we took it for granted!

It is good to remember back.  They were great times, the best.  You know it used to cost me £4.00 to get in.  Pay at the turnstiles and stand on the barclay, watch legends like Goss, Crook and Gunn.  Yep, totally agree Bly.  Thanks Robert Chase for the really good memories. 

Or should that be thanks Mike Walker, John Deehan, Dave Stringer and the 11 on the pitch for the memories, in spite of Robert Chase.  The same Robert Chase who watched his team finish 4th in the Premier League and promptly sold Sutton & Fox.  The same Chase who let one of the countries best managers Martin O''Neill walk over 1 player, despite making massive profits in the transfer market.  The same Robert Chase who had to sell Ashley Ward & Jon Newsome to keep the bailiffs from the door.

Yes, thanks indeed Robert Chase.

Going to join us in the now Ricky, Cluck (sorry I mean Bly) and all.  Not as much fun though.

Bly is like smudgey - he throws you lot a controversial item and you are all queueing up to reply. He wont reply to anything you might ask because thats not part of the gameplan. While he has got you tripping over each other to reply he''s like a dog with 2 tails.

I''m sure there will be millions of posts now, with people trying to get there posts up, there will be lots of new posts about anything under the sun.

Iknow the mods have left, but maybe lurking.. Could we get rid of the post rating and numbers? I don''t see any use for it as it has no use for any of the topics. Why should someone with 29000 posts have a better post than 9? The answer is there should be none.

[quote user="Steve Burns"]Bly is like smudgey - he throws you lot a controversial item and you are all queueing up to reply. He wont reply to anything you might ask because thats not part of the gameplan. While he has got you tripping over each other to reply he''s like a dog with 2 tails.[/quote]

[:)]

[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/527.gif[/img]

OTBC

[quote user="Steve Burns"]Bly is like smudgey - he throws you lot a controversial item and you are all queueing up to reply. He wont reply to anything you might ask because thats not part of the gameplan. While he has got you tripping over each other to reply he''s like a dog with 2 tails.[/quote]Agreed. He''s more like Cluck in that respect. The reason I reply is to try and persuade some of those who don''t remember the Chase era that Bly''s view is nonsense. I''m not trying to persuade him - he''s unwilling or incapable of engaging in any kind of rational debate. But he does have an amusing picture of a dog.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="Steve Burns"]Bly is like smudgey - he throws you lot a controversial item and you are all queueing up to reply. He wont reply to anything you might ask because thats not part of the gameplan. While he has got you tripping over each other to reply he''s like a dog with 2 tails.[/quote]

Agreed. He''s more like Cluck in that respect. The reason I reply is to try and persuade some of those who don''t remember the Chase era that Bly''s view is nonsense. I''m not trying to persuade him - he''s unwilling or incapable of engaging in any kind of rational debate. But he does have an amusing picture of a dog.
[/quote]

All folks have to do is look at the football record books for 1986-1996. The facts can''t lie!

[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/527.gif[/img]

OTBC