Sign in to follow this  
martirey27

Amusing or embarrassing stories when following NCFC

I am appealing for any amusing, embarrassing or daft true stories related to following NCFC. I am in the process of writing a book about following City over the years and would be very interested in any true stories that have a funny or quirky side to it. They can be from any era but must be true! Names can be changed to protect the `embarrassed`, the best stories will hopefully be published in the book. If any of you feel you may be able to help or contribute any tales from home or away games over the years, please e-mail me at martirey@ubrowse.co.uk

Thanks OTBC

Martin 

The most amusing thing i''ve ever done is stand with Cambridge United fans in the away supporters enclosure at Portaloo road and waved Norwich scarves at the scum.......i still laugh about it today!

I do remember standing in the Barclay in the late 80''s before a Spurs game and hearing a bloke behind me saying that he''d better look out cos'' he got hit by a coin last game just as a shiny ten pence hit him in the lip. His eyes watered and I still chuckle thinking about it.

....or is that not the soryt of thing you are looking for? [:$]

The most embarrassing thing for me keeps happening.  It''s trying to explain that the team really is called The Canaries.  I have to make up stories about how wild canaries are predators, or that they are pound for pound (or ounce for ounce) the toughest birds.

I keep some NCFC paraphenalia on my classroom walls, so the topic comes up when students who are supporters of teams in other leagues ask about it. A dog is not man''s best friend, it''s a canary.  At least, if you''re a coal miner, it is.

no funny stories.. fallen down the stairs a few times in the barclay from over celebrating goals....

My mate crashed into another Norwich fan at Villa park in the prem season.

i once got up and cheered a chris lewellyn long ball as i thought it was going in.. it missed by a country mile and i got a laugh from Block D for being the only mad sod celebrating!

jas :)

Watch the promotion season DVD - Watford away, McKenzie''s goal, slow mo and you''ll see me stack it down lots of steps...

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

The most embarrassing thing for me keeps happening.  It''s trying to explain that the team really is called The Canaries.  I have to make up stories about how wild canaries are predators, or that they are pound for pound (or ounce for ounce) the toughest birds.

I keep some NCFC paraphenalia on my classroom walls, so the topic comes up when students who are supporters of teams in other leagues ask about it. A dog is not man''s best friend, it''s a canary.  At least, if you''re a coal miner, it is.

[/quote]Houston - old copies (19th century!) of the EDP used to report the exports of Norwich-bred canaries (and other birds) to America, presumably for use in mines, so you could say they helped build America... I''m sure that will make them sound a lot tougher.

My dad has a cracker of a story!

Milk cup semi-final at Hillsborough (I think) against Sunderland. On the way back on the coach, my dad and his mate went of the coach for a toilet break at some services- only for the bus driver to leave them behind, despite them running beside the bus, waving it down, and people on the bus actually shouting him to stop!

Thanks for the ''heads up'' Vince.  I will use the "America was built on the backs of Canaries" and see how many students go along with that! (I do know about the canary fad in Norwich 100+ years ago and how that is the real source of the name)

There was this one time when I spilt my half-time tea over this big 6 foot 6 gorilla of a man, so he proceded to smash the ever loving hell out of me there and then until I had to be lifted piece by piece into an ambulance. I had several convulsions, a lung collapse on the way and needed major surgury on my face and spinal column once I reached A&E.

The bloke visited me later in hospital to pour several urns of scoulding hot tea over my face and body, whilst he shouted something like "You Faking Count" or whatever it was (I couldn''t be sure as the doctors still hadn''t found my missing ear at the time).

....but when all is said and done I just laugh about it now.

[;)][:P]

Funniest incident I saw was during a hammering at Carrow Road by Forest in the Cup (i think) we lost 5 or 6 - 1. During the days of terracing in the Riverend.

Some how a couple of Forest fans had got in the said stand and understandably were enjoying some good banter with the locals. After - I think it was - the 5th goal one of the said Forest fans was continuing with his jibes about farming and tractors when one of the locals turn to him and explained if he didn''t shut up he would give him "a couple of acres!"

This is still one of the best one liners I''ve heard at a football match, and the best thing about it - it was all done with a smile on the faces and a fun atmosphere.

When we played burnley live on tv and worthy got sacked, when burnley scored one of their goals infront of the N&P I got up and cheered ironically. You could just see me on the edge of the replay of the goal. I got a lot of stick for doing that.

...a kid and his mum approached Bryan Hamilton (when he was manager) while he was standing next to Delia in the old players lounge for an autograph. The hapless manager while signing asked if the boy enjoyed the game (which we lost I think). The boy replied "Not really, my Dad left at half time and said you didn''t know what you were doing" and just walked off.Bryan actually looked really angry while Delia practically wet herself. He didn''t last long after that. 

Over the past few years there has been a number of funny stories on this message board. One that I found particularly funny comes from arrdee on a former Norwich City player, Bunny Larkin and his torn shorts. I''m sure arrdee won''t object to me re-posting it here. It left me ( and lots of others I''m sure ) with belly aching laughter:

Bunny Larkins torn shorts , I promised to tell you this story , and here it is , remember i don''t make things up and i don''t tell lies , this is exactly as it was , I must have been about 13 judging were i was on the wall , the low wall that ran along the front of the main stand , there was a pecking order that i will tell you about and how it worked in a later post , I must have been 5th or 6th from the tunnel which was as far as i got , we were like fledglings ready to fly the nest .

From the start of that season we had this party of supporters that would arrive at 2 -45 consisting of a mother , her great big son and 3 or 4 of their drinking mates , you could smell the drink from 20 yds , they always stood just behind us , plenty of room in those days , now mum  always looked as if she had just finished having 20 throws on the box (dice) and had won more than she had lost , the outstanding thing about her was her illfitting dentures they use to drop down every time she opened her mouth , No dentist could have made them for her , i am sure she was looking after them for someone , either that or her regular partner on the box was her dentist,  that would explain it , She would stand behind her son a step or two up hook her chin over his shoulder put her arms round his belly (that took some doing )he would clasp her hands and then say "cumfy mum" ?"ummmmm"and the old girl would be asleep . I dubbed him"  cumfy" as you would know .

Us boys would be sitting on the wall looking out over the pitch as they arrived waiting with baited breath "cumfy mum"? "ummmmm" we would explode in laughter .Often cumfy would shout" gather round boys i want to make water" this they would achive useing a pint mug bending down pouring it out on the steps  this cut out the splash i suppose ,they always left the mug behind sitting on the steps after the match  always full , Quite how cumfy managed with his hands clasping mums i don''t know , perhaps one of his mates helped him ,i would rather not think about it

When Bunny tore his shorts he made a good job of it , from top to bottom , the plan was to turn Bunny round in a record time , the new shorts were ready , the towels were ready they called Bunny off showing all his thigh  i heard this cackling coming from behind me the old girl was awake , making a fist and raising her arm up and down in that age old gesture of sexual arousel ,

The first part of the plan went like clockwork  the old shorts were gone , now this is were things went wrong the right leg went through alright however the left one got caught up the trainers were trying to pull them up Bunny was trying to pull them down to have a fresh start , the trainers seem to win the battle as his studs appeared through the crotch of his shorts followed by his toe , Bunny was by this time irate swearing at the top of his voice , the two with towels were dancing and side stepping trying to keep Bunny covered ,they were like two matadors with an enraged bull on their hands , it was getting like the Hay market out there as more people tried to help only adding to the confusion, mum had got on to a squeal by this time , arm pumping like a piston , i was twisting on my perch watching the old girl twisting back to see Bunny this was rich fare indeed , and then it happened  Bunny crashed into one of the matadors down went the towel and there was Bunny in all his glory , there was uproar at this point mum cracked "get out of the way you fat cumfy " that is not the word she used but thats as close as i can get on the board  ,she knocked cumfy and his mates flying the laughter on my face turned to horror  as i realised she was heading straight at me ,the old girl was moving like air , i opened my mouth to shout a warning but nothing came out ,her knee hit me in the back as she tried to haul herself over the bar above our heads but mum was spent she collapsed over the rail and hung there like a wet blanket expelling wind from every orifice , just above my head i might add , she promptly reguritated down a boys back about two pints of Watneys best laced with ,now listen, about a pint of cockles that had not even been champed they were pristine you could have picked them off his back and re-sold them , her top set landed at my feet ,i don''t know how i was not sick , cumfy came and unwound her ,snatching up her teeth saying "look out boy these are mums" that should have confirmed that her dentist was her regular partner on the box , but thinking about it he would hardly have said"look out boy these are the next door neighbours"would he ? he kept asking mum what had happened and looking around to see if he could find a culprit responsible for mums strange behaviour

.Bunny had performed the first ever male lap top dance and had driven the old girl insane, i don''t think the journey was very far though .

Every thing settled down we went back to watching dire mid table 2nd div  football,  the boy two down moaning about the state of his alcohol shellfish stained jacket , mum no doubt dreaming of Bunnys finer points , cumfy still looking for someone to blame and making water every so often ,as for  me i was  thinking i have got to  get out of this place i have ended up in a hellhole of alcohol and urine ,this was the nudge i needed ,the shaking of the nest if you will , i was flying .

After the match i always tried to have a word with the players as they came off , some would not give you the time of day Bunny would always have a word , this match a woman said "Bunny you could have saved my blushes if you had changed your shorts down the tunnel "Bunny always with the quick quip said" Haven''t you seen a good cxxx ,bxxxs, and axxx, before"?

Well i don''t think anyone would seen them any more if cumfys mum had got her hands on them , but perhaps the damage would not have been too  great because i am sure she would lost her teeth before she got to Bunnys vitals ,

Thats the story of Bunnys torn shorts as i remember it , i hope you all enjoyed it Big Smile [:D] arrdee.

Like Housten, I was trying to explain to a Chinese guy, where I was working at the time, the significance of the Canary. He asked me whether the Canary was a bird similar to the Yellow Pecker, because as he said it "We have many Yellow Peckers in China".

Which, in a way, I suppose they do.

YH

I live in Budapest. On my car (a grey Multipla that usually parks near the Citadel) I sport a FOLLOW THE CANARIES sticker. One day, about two years ago, I found a fresh copy of the Pink ''un stuck behind my windscreen wiper! If  the Norwich fan who left it on my car so far away from home reads this: thanks for it! It was great gesture that made my day! 

Norwich v Oxford 1998/99 season.

It was at the time when we used to pay stupid amounts for cr*ppy entertainment before the match. Anyway, a guy dressed in a robot suit was walking/robot walking past the away stand during the pre-match warm-up, one of the Oxford players took aim, and kicked the ball at him as hard as he could hitting him full on on his robot head. Needless to say he didnt move like a robot too much more!!!  hilarious.

Some of the finer details on this may not be 100% correct but the story itself is very true. 

A guy who we befriended at an away game, lives in Gloucester and has done since he was in his late teens (he''s probably around 40 now) when he moved from Kings Lynn. He''s a lifelong City fan but rarely manages to make a home game despite attending many away games closer to home. Unfortuntaely his geographical knowledge of the city itself isn''t great having lived in KingsLynn and then been away for so long. A couple of years ago when he was attending a rare home game he found himself in the city centre and about to head for carrow rd. He was decked out in colours so a couple of away fans (can''t remember who we played) assumed he was a decent bet to help them find the ground. He isn''t sure himself where he then managed to lead them - but they got completely lost before he had to embarrassingly confess that he had no idea where he was and that they would all need to seek additional assistance to find the ground in time for kick off. Which i think they just about did.

Apparently those away fans looked a little on edge before he eventually owned up to getting them all lost!  

One game last season, we were drawing late on and had gone to the gents. We scored when i was in ''mid-flow'' which lead to me throwing my hands in the air and cheering. Sadly, it also meant that my urinatry deposits landed upon my shoes  

I think when i went to the away game against Plymouth, the year after we were relegated and took my mum along with me out of the kindness of my heart and her desire to see some old norfolk work buddies who were down to see the match.Anyway, half way through tha game."That player wearing red boots is good" she says"Mum... they''re all wearing red boots."Was rather amusing at the time for me and a few who overheard.

In the last days of the Chase era when everyone (and his dog) were shouting for him to go and "Chase is a W***er" echoed round the ground. My dear mother(a lifelong fan ) turned and asked me why everyone thought Chase was a banker. I''m not sur who was getting their leg pulled!