Sign in to follow this  
mickbpne

chris brown

just wonderin what your views on the guy are?

im a north ender and so far he has been a good signing for us. 3 in 13, but his workrate has been 1st class! even talk of him being player of the year which for a january signing is quite impresive

so far has at least 3 man of the match awards, not bad going seen as we have only had at the most 7 home games since his arrival

cud see him and curaton working well together for you. especially with curaton banging them in for you at the minute

I must admit I was not so keen to see him go, always thought he had ability and a good work ethic. I always though he''d come good and i''m pleased he has, but to be honest we got decent money for him and it made sense for both the player and club, once you are out of favour with the manager you might as well move on. But pleased to see him do well.

he hit a nerve straight away at norwich by claiming to have said "dont expect me to play 2 games a week"to me he would of made a superb centre back as he was tall, quick and ugly enough to scare most forwards off.but a striker he isnt in my books.he scored 1 goal for us. Against Burnley

[quote user="Polar"]crikey... Chris brown your player of the season? you have had a bad year...
[/quote]

he has helped us to attain a higher league position thatn you at current 3 in last 5!

yeh thats fair enough the marty, what was the final fee we paid for him??

did he ever get a proper run in the team??

It just was not happening for him at Norwich, always put in the effort but it never seemed to work out for him, fresh start was needed.

[quote user="mickbpne"]

im a north ender and so far he has been a good signing for us. 3 in 13, but his workrate has been 1st class! even talk of him being player of the year which for a january signing is quite impresive

so far has at least 3 man of the match awards, not bad going seen as we have only had at the most 7 home games since his arrival

cud see him and curaton working well together for you. especially with curaton banging them in for you at the minute

[/quote]

We''ve has a number of posts on here since he left bout how he appears to have worked out where the net is. I always liked him for his ability to give the team an outlet and to bring players around him in to the game. He looked like the real deal to me when he joined and i saw his first few games and i always said as much on here. He made a huge difference to or ball retention too becuase when it got lumped out of defence he could collect it and hold it up rather than just lose it and have us having to defend it all over again. 

But, and it was a big but, as time went on, he just couldn''t seem to score which i had to concede was a major part of his role! But Roeder i thought was good at getting the best out of players, especially the younger ones so i was hopeful for Brown when Roeder arrived. Unfortunately Roeder is also very hasty on occasion and in my view never even tried to get the best out of him so i for one was disappointed to see him go. Good luck to you - went to Uni in Preston for 6 years from when you were back in the old 3rd division and was there right up until promotion to div one and the first play-off final v Bolton so have a soft spot for ''em! 

[quote user="mickbpne"]

[/quote]

Now Mick ,no doubt you are a lovely old boy and a lovely old north ender . I think its a case some players fit in and some don''t ,you may well play a different style to us which I am sure you do . I can only endorse Marty''s post we could not turn down your offer it as simple as that but for us he could not score to save his life , his work rate was never in question and I am glad he is doing well for you .But for us he was like a stranded fish . Its just one of those things that crop up every so often . arrdee. 

[quote user="mickbpne"]

[/quote]

I liked Chris Brown.  He worked hard and put himself about, had a decent first touch and tried his best - but ultimately, he was bought as a striker and he simply didn''t score nearly enough goals.  Never mind that at the time our midfield were creating maybe 1 or 2 chances per match, Browny didn''t do it for us.  I hope he continues to do well for you and that we meet in the Championship next year.

He held the ball up well but failed to link up with any of our other strikers, him and Cureton failed to form anything like a partnership.  In front of goal he had a total mare, he couldnt even hit the target most of the time.  Four goals in 15 starts for you guys aint dreadful though.  Good luck to him, he didnt fit in here and was part of our worst side in recent memory.

Brown always worked hard for us, and it sounds like he''s doing the same for you.  His only problem was not scoring goals, he scored 1 in a year for us.  And sadly he left because of lack of goals.  I liked him, and I also thought was never given a proper chance.  And I would like to say good luck to him for the rest of the season.

Also he has scored 5 goals hasn''t he, 1 on his debut, 2 against Charlton, 1 on Saturday and another 1 along the line somewhere.

Living and working in Preston right now, the fans love Chris Brown and don''t stop talking about him. The "Norwich Reject" seems to be doing very well for his new club! I suppose he has now achieved cult status for a winner against Burnley too.

[quote user="mickbpne"]

[/quote]

A much better player than what he was given credit for at Norwich although the money Preston paid for him when considering his overall record for Norwich in a year was way to much to turn down!

But he left cause someone was prepared to pay money for him. Hes far superior to some of our young players still contracted to the club like the Jarvis bros, Eagle, Martin and the notoriously bad loan players Henry and Gibbs but of course these players will probably never command a fee and will have to be given away!

He was never going to be a prolific goalscorer but came to the club when Grant was in the process of nearly making us dead certs for the drop, was asked to play up front on his own and was made a scapegoat by many fans!

I think he would of done OK at Norwich as a squad player now cause we''ve only got one targetman whos about to retire!

tireless performer - but never created chances for others, or himself, or converted those than came his way.  he had a fair run in the team, but never looked the part.  he developed an uncanny telepathetic understanding with curo - always flicking on to wherever jamie wasn''t!!!he probably worked harder in training under roeder and maybe preston is reaping that reward - maybe he''s physically stronger and getting chances.   good luck to the boy and i''m glad to see its working out for him. 

I thought he was given plenty of chances in the team but never looked like doing anything special. He tried hard and worked hard but he just couldn''t score and do the fundementals good enough. I''m glad he''s starting to find some form. Mind you I do notice most of his goals are pretty simple ones. I hope he does a good job for you guys but I think he never got settled at norwich and really it was going to be difficult replacing players like Iwan and Ashton and McKenzie which was essential what he was, a panic replacement. Good luck for the rest of the season!

got 2 against the dingles now. always good from are p.o.v!!

quite surprising he said that actualy, dont think he has been subbed off yet for us. irvine appears to be quite strict with his subs for some reason

Glad Chris Brown is getting on well at Preston. Felt a bit sorry for him because I thought he was a decent player and as we all know he worked very very hard. Would have liked to have seen him partnered with a stiker with a bit of pace who makes intelligent runs. Too often the lad broke his neck to win the ball only to find that nobody had made the same effort to get in the right spaces around him.

Frankly, its hilarious that so many poeple on this thread are "backing" Brown to do well, and worse still, claiming they "liked him" when he was at NCFC. You all couldnt wait to get rid of him, and for good reason. He was a very, very poor STRIKER playing for our club - what was it, one goal? That''s not good enough as a striker, regardless of how many "flick ons" he produced - to no-one in particular, I might add.

I wish the bloke luck, however 3 goals in 13 starts doesnt sound great when you multiply both by 3..... thats 9 in 36..... people on here have a go at cureton for not scoring enough with 14 goals in less than 36 starts yet start saying that chris brown is finding the net when he scores a few. 9 in 36 wont get anybody anywhere so really he needs to be scoring twice as many to be classed as a good striker. 18 in 36 would be a goal every two which is what i consider to be banging them in, brown would ever score that in this division simple as.

yeahh, thats fair enough. 3 have been quite scrappy tap ins.

but his second against charlton!! the great forwards of this country would be chuffed with that strike!   

Yes mate but even crap strikers occasionally score great goals. You have evidence of that in your squad in the form of Neil Mellor, anyone remember that 35 yarder against Arsenal?

I think it may be a case of a player finding the right club, sometimes this just seems to happen. It can happen in reverse too, like Robert fleck, legend for Norwich and crap everywhere else. For the guy saying we all said he was crap and couldn''t wait to get rid, well not in my case.

[quote user="Jim Duffy"]Frankly, its hilarious that so many poeple on this thread are "backing" Brown to do well, and worse still, claiming they "liked him" when he was at NCFC. You all couldnt wait to get rid of him, and for good reason. He was a very, very poor STRIKER [/quote]

Sorry to disagree Jim but that''s an exaggeration. Others have said Brown, Strahvka and Lappin were not really given a fair run. Yes, give me the likes of Evans instead of Brown any day (and especially in the past 6 months) but I don''t think Brown was helped by the team in which he played or its manager and coach at the time. Some years back I recall a striker we signed from Wolves getting booed off the field by the Barclay end when substituted in his first season. Didn''t look good at all. But for some reason we persevered with him - God knows why, though even then, like Brown, he was good at holding up the ball. Roberts was his name.....

[quote user="Marty"]For the guy saying we all said he was crap and couldn''t wait to get rid, well not in my case.[/quote]

Nor mine. I remember after we lost at home to Cardiff I started a thread defending him as he was basically being blamed for us getting beaten, and pointed out that he had in fact been playing fairly well. Shame he had an absolute nightmare the next game really.

Saying that I wasn''t sorry he left as we have better forwards to choose from, but it''s nice he''s gone somewhere where his efforts are actually appreciated.

[quote user="Fellas"]I thought he was given plenty of chances in the team but never looked like doing anything special. He tried hard and worked hard but he just couldn''t score and do the fundementals good enough. I''m glad he''s starting to find some form. Mind you I do notice most of his goals are pretty simple ones. I hope he does a good job for you guys but I think he never got settled at norwich and really it was going to be difficult replacing players like Iwan and Ashton and McKenzie which was essential what he was, a panic replacement. Good luck for the rest of the season![/quote]

Hard to disagree with this! Yeah, Chris Brown tried hard enough but with little impact. He was little or no threat to the opposition goal and his general hold up play was nowhere near the standard displayed by Dion Dublin. He''d win headers from long balls but never with any conviction - It looked as if the ball would just hit his head then drop in no man''s land! (although I did feel for Brown when Grant played him right wing once!).

But like other''s have said, maybe the ''fit'' is better at Preston. I still have no regrets getting rid of him for a decent fee.