Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Glenn transfer Policy will end in Tears

Right now I''m backing Roeder transfer policy which I see as two fold :

1) Buy only players who are significantly better than what we already have

2) Loan players should also be significantly better and if not they should be covering a long term absence

But the fact is we don''t have the money to buy players who are significantly better than what we. The Taylor situation is just the start I can see the same when he turns his attention to the strike force - 20 goal a season strikers don''t come cheap. What happens when he identifies a target the club want 1.5 million the board will only give 750,000

It will be interesting to see how this develops - will he stick to his guns or will he move into the territoy that haunted Grant and Worthy i.e. signing players just to act as cover for senior players and end with a stack of carp e.g. Thorne (Ashton) Murray (Shackell), Robinson (Etuhu), Heckingbottom Brennan (Drury), Chadwick (Croft) or is the other way round?, Lappin (huckerby), Brown (Dublin) there are hundreds of other examples of player brought just for the sake of having cover if someone gets injured.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Right now I''m backing Roeder transfer policy which I see as two fold :

1) Buy only players who are significantly better than what we already have

2) Loan players should also be significantly better and if not they should be covering a long term absence

But the fact is we don''t have the money to buy players who are significantly better than what we. The Taylor situation is just the start I can see the same when he turns his attention to the strike force - 20 goal a season strikers don''t come cheap. What happens when he identifies a target the club want 1.5 million the board will only give 750,000

It will be interesting to see how this develops - will he stick to his guns or will he move into the territoy that haunted Grant and Worthy i.e. signing players just to act as cover for senior players and end with a stack of carp e.g. Thorne (Ashton) Murray (Shackell), Robinson (Etuhu), Heckingbottom Brennan (Drury), Chadwick (Croft) or is the other way round?, Lappin (huckerby), Brown (Dublin) there are hundreds of other examples of player brought just for the sake of having cover if someone gets injured.

[/quote]I would be happy with buying players as good as our first 11 not just "better".  It''s not just cover we need, it''s competition for places.  Of the starting 11 from the Leicester game, only 1 or 2 players from the bench (Pattison & Cureton) are even close to be pushing for regular starting place and even those 2 are questionable.  That to me leaves 9 players who are almost certain to start at this present time.  That is a big worry and a good reason why we need new players in the door who at the very least put pressure on the players to keep their place in the team.  They don''t have to be better, they just have to add compeition for places.Most importantly having the small squad that we do is yet again leaving our younger players in limbo.  Players like Spillane and Martin really could do with being put out on loan but they are needed as squad cover.  Basically they are only going to play in the event of injuries but they could be elsewhere playing week in, week out.  Despite what people may think of them, Henderson and Ryan Jarvis'' progression was hindered under Worthington because they didn''t play enogh for us or go out on loan.I understand the argument that we do not want to bring in poor players but in case we forget, we are still involved in a relegation battle with a squad as small as I can remember us ever having.

roeder is a football man, he knows what hes doing, and knows much more about football than you, so why dont you stop moaning about the lack of transfers and have fait in him, let him get on with his job!!!!

I agree players coming in lack the class needed for gaining promotion imo, we must show more ambition if we REALLY want to go back to the prem.

So in a way Ulf your saying that he can''t win whether he uses Worthy/Grants policy or his own.

Personally I prefer his own, at least we aren''t throwing money down the drain on dross like you''ve listed in your post, although a second look says most of them were free or under 250K.

I think another of GR''s key policies is that of not risking players who are slightly injured. Grant''s policy was the reverse he risked Doherty and we lost him for 6 weeks, Huckerby was played with his ongoing hip injury whilst GR withdrew him from the squad when he foud out about it.

If GR does persist in quality over quantity, then that policy plus the obvious luck needed might see us do well.

As I''ve said before, I fear another Windass moment is approaching.

It all hangs on whether or not the NCFC board can bring themselves to allow ''ambition with prudence'' to supercede ''prudence with ambition''.

OTBC

[/quote]

Is that a fact? How do you know that we do not have the money? According to all the talk from Carrow Rd. GR has valued Taylor at a certain price, Brady at another, the disagreement seems to be between them and our Board has not really been mentioned in the bargaining.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

It all hangs on whether or not the NCFC board can bring themselves to allow ''ambition with prudence'' to supercede ''prudence with ambition''.

OTBC

[/quote]

Death is APPROACHING for all of us BlyBly, but that doesn''t mean we have to spend our lives focused on the event.

OTBC

[/quote]

What a load of carp.

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion of the situation regarding the purse strings and how tight they are or are not, none of what you say is based in fact.

In the same way that I am entitled to my opinion that GR is not being restrained with the purse strings but is unwilling to pay over inflated prices at this time of year.

I believe he will do enough to keep us up comfortably without wasting any kitty he has and then will prepare an assault at the big prize next season.

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

[/quote]

Is that a fact? How do you know that we do not have the money? According to all the talk from Carrow Rd. GR has valued Taylor at a certain price, Brady at another, the disagreement seems to be between them and our Board has not really been mentioned in the bargaining.

[/quote]

Do you think the amount Roeder is prepared to spend on Taylor might be in any way connected to amount the board have given him as a transfer budget? [:|]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="bunny"][quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you think the amount Roeder is prepared to spend on Taylor might be in any way connected to amount the board have given him as a transfer budget? [:|]

[/quote]

Yes, but not in the way I think you mean. I suspect that the board gave GR a million quid at the start of the window and the aim was to renew the loans and add a couple one of which was Pattison. When Brum wanted the lot for Taylor GR decided to go for Matty Patty and offered the remainder. Since then the club have had a £800k windfall with Lewis & Brown going so he has the cash but would rather use as much of that on a striker if possible while gambling on Brady not being able to shift Tiny out.

[quote user="McCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

What a load of carp.

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion of the situation regarding the purse strings and how tight they are or are not, none of what you say is based in fact.

In the same way that I am entitled to my opinion that GR is not being restrained with the purse strings but is unwilling to pay over inflated prices at this time of year.

I believe he will do enough to keep us up comfortably without wasting any kitty he has and then will prepare an assault at the big prize next season.

[/quote]

I expressed my opinion.

You expressed your opinion.

So what''s your beef?

Weird.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

Speculation, speculation and speculation, thats all you have, you prefer to believe what is on here and the opinions of people who don''t actually know any truth. I have said a million times, that unless we know what is going, why do we have to speculate to what is going in the world of NCFC.

Its well and good asking your daily one liners with hints, but we don''t know what GR is doing, a lot of clubs are buying dross and a lot are buying nothing, its not uncommon for a lot of clubs to be in this position. Yes, I am worried that we don''t have any new players in, yes, I feel worried that we don''t have a lot of money, but I am a realisist, I know times are hard and regardless of what people think of the board, they will want us to be successful. I''m not a board lover or even a hater by the way.

All I''m saying is just wait and see, we have to trust and believe in both GR and the board, we don''t know what money we have, all we have is spin from you Bly....

I await the abuse coming.

Time............................patience............................... Fans are far too impatient. Give Glenn time...................at least 2 transfer windows and next season before deciding on his abilities............

[quote user="biggleyellow"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Speculation, speculation and speculation, thats all you have, you prefer to believe what is on here and the opinions of people who don''t actually know any truth. I have said a million times, that unless we know what is going, why do we have to speculate to what is going in the world of NCFC.

Its well and good asking your daily one liners with hints, but we don''t know what GR is doing, a lot of clubs are buying dross and a lot are buying nothing, its not uncommon for a lot of clubs to be in this position. Yes, I am worried that we don''t have any new players in, yes, I feel worried that we don''t have a lot of money, but I am a realisist, I know times are hard and regardless of what people think of the board, they will want us to be successful. I''m not a board lover or even a hater by the way.

All I''m saying is just wait and see, we have to trust and believe in both GR and the board, we don''t know what money we have, all we have is spin from you Bly....

[/quote]

Why are ''times hard'' as you put it, Biggles? Ask yourself that question first - and then try again.

Sure I''m a stern and unapologetic critic of the NCFC board. But hate? Hate is for the birds.

One love.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="McCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

What a load of carp.

[/quote]

I expressed my opinion.

You expressed your opinion.

So what''s your beef?

Weird.

OTBC

[/quote]

Roast with yorkshire and plenty of horseradish ta..........Ardeeeee!!

Problem with your opinions in general is that you present them as fact .......... usually with no evidence

OTBC

[/quote]

You seem to be a fan of Roeder Bly, I am too.

You seem to still feel the hurt of the ''Windass moment'' and how it seems you feel the previous administration allowed O''Neill to become disillusioned by not giving him the necessary funds to bring in the player he wanted.

So if Roeder doesn''t become disillusioned under this administration and if he continues to bring players in he wants to improve the squad and if the results and performances continue to get better will that mean that the mistakes of the previous administration aren''t being repeated and even more importantly will you cheer up just a little bit [:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

You seem to be a fan of Roeder Bly, I am too.

You seem to still feel the hurt of the ''Windass moment'' and how it seems you feel the previous administration allowed O''Neill to become disillusioned by not giving him the necessary funds to bring in the player he wanted.

So if Roeder doesn''t become disillusioned under this administration and if he continues to bring players in he wants to improve the squad and if the results and performances continue to get better will that mean that the mistakes of the previous administration aren''t being repeated and even more importantly will you cheer up just a little bit [:D]

[/quote]

Well, it would mean that the key mistake of the previous administration was not being repeated yet again by the incumbents. [:)]

Yes, I''d cheer up bit if, if ,if.............because that would mean success at chasing those benchmarks laid down in history would again be not far down the road.

As an aside, it is interesting to note that but for their Windass moment that administration would be unlikely to be previous - and we would most likely never have heard of Delia Smith around Carrow Road.

Ahhh. Tipping points - we''ll see.

Well Nutty, at least you made me sit up in my chair.

One love.

OTBC 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="biggleyellow"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why are ''times hard'' as you put it, Biggles? Ask yourself that question first - and then try again.

Sure I''m a stern and unapologetic critic of the NCFC board. But hate? Hate is for the birds.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

I don''t know, I''m not an accountant, in a simple way we must have spent too much and earned too little, like I said I don''t know. All we can do and some more than others is speculate. But do we and can we handle the truth?

Cause & effect, Bly, cause & effect. The Windass moment was never the cause of Chase''s downfall but the effect of that regime running out of road/luck. With hindsight it is now obvious that the club was cash poor but asset rich. Simply put we didn''t have the cash for Windass as was demonstrated by the Newsome/Ward fire sale. It wasn''t lack of amition but lack of cash. O''Neil saw this and was off on his toes.

No go back to to first principles and map this onto the current scenario.

[quote user="BigFish"]

Cause & effect, Bly, cause & effect. The Windass moment was never the cause of Chase''s downfall but the effect of that regime running out of road/luck. With hindsight it is now obvious that the club was cash poor but asset rich. Simply put we didn''t have the cash for Windass as was demonstrated by the Newsome/Ward fire sale. It wasn''t lack of amition but lack of cash. O''Neil saw this and was off on his toes.

[/quote]

My point about the Windass Moment was that it triggered the departure of an excellent manager in Martin O''Neil. He felt he had been misled about the availability of transfer funds in the Dean Windass fiasco.

Twelve years later we once again (after a period of serious famine) have an excellent manager in Glen Roeder. The first thing Glen did was bring in central defender Martin Taylor on loan. Glen & almost everybody else want Taylor in permanently. What do we do? B*gger around for weeks on end playing roulette with a rich club and getting into silly spats with their exhibitionist female chief. All for the want of what? 200 to 300k pounds, or so?

Things just don''t add up in my view.

There is something going on which we don''t know about. And in the absence of transparency my fearful speculation is that we are in danger of another Windass Moment.

What is a Windass Moment? The disastrous departure of an excellent manager due to the dubious inability/unwillingness of the NCFC board to provide enough funds to secure the services of a player considered by that manager to be critical to his plans.

And that''s the way I see it.

Of course, I will be absolutely delighted if my fears on this matter do not materialise.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="BigFish"]

[/quote]

My point about the Windass Moment was that it triggered the departure of an excellent manager in Martin O''Neil. He felt he had been misled about the availability of transfer funds in the Dean Windass fiasco.

Twelve years later we once again (after a period of serious famine) have an excellent manager in Glen Roeder. The first thing Glen did was bring in central defender Martin Taylor on loan. Glen & almost everybody else want Taylor in permanently. What do we do? B*gger around for weeks on end playing roulette with a rich club and getting into silly spats with their exhibitionist female chief. All for the want of what? 200 to 300k pounds, or so?

There is something going on which we don''t know about. And in the absence of transparency my fearful speculation is that we are in danger of another Windass Moment.

What is a Windass Moment? The disastrous departure of an excellent manager due to the dubious inability/unwillingness of the NCFC board to provide enough funds to secure the services of a player considered by that manager to be critical to his plans.

Of course, I will be absolutely delighted if my fears on this matter do not materialise.

OTBC

[/quote]I think you should have started that sentence with ''''I think'''' Bly otherwise it''s stated as a fact. And how can your opinion be a fact ? Especially when you state that ''''There is something going on which we don''t know about''''. How can you state that as a fact when it''s only your suspicion and you only think there''s something going on. And that''s a fact !   [*-)]

I think that BlyBlyBabes makes very good sense.

I do wonder, though, if we are going to go to the death and sign TAYLOR at the last minute.  Since Mr. DOOMCASTER has been here we never seem to want to pick up a players wages until the last possible second. Saving 2 days on Martin Taylor gives Mr D  a job for another week.

The waiting agony will be over soon

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="BigFish"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]I think you should have started that sentence with ''''I think'''' Bly otherwise it''s stated as a fact. And how can your opinion be a fact ? Especially when you state that ''''There is something going on which we don''t know about''''. How can you state that as a fact when it''s only your suspicion and you only think there''s something going on. And that''s a fact !   [*-)]

[/quote]

Cor blas bor, no need to get them bloomers in a twist,

If things don''t add up there must ipso facto be an unknown factor involved. Hence, summat mus'' be a goin'' orn tha'' we don'' know nutten'' abart. QED.

OTBC

Bly, there are plenty of reasons why Brum haven''t sold us Tiny yet. You seem so fixated on the money side, but;Why would brum sell to us today, when;- there is still a few days of the transfer window left when someone might bid more? Derby might bid 1.5m, Sunderland might bid 2m.- McLeish hasn''t yet bought in a replacement?- Radhi Jaidi is still in Africa?Brum

know they can sell to us on the last day of the window for 750k. If

this deal is going to happen before the last day of the window, there

has to be movement on at least one of the points above. All these

points are out of our control. Thinking that we can get him now if we up our bid by 250k is very nieve.

[quote user="Big Down Under"]Bly, there are plenty of reasons why Brum haven''t sold us Tiny yet. You seem so fixated on the money side, but;

Why would brum sell to us today, when;
- there is still a few days of the transfer window left when someone might bid more? Derby might bid 1.5m, Sunderland might bid 2m.
- McLeish hasn''t yet bought in a replacement?
- Radhi Jaidi is still in Africa?

Brum know they can sell to us on the last day of the window for 750k. If this deal is going to happen before the last day of the window, there has to be movement on at least one of the points above. All these points are out of our control. Thinking that we can get him now if we up our bid by 250k is very nieve.
[/quote]

Well, if that is the case, then I hope Glen gets in someone else just as good just before the 31st - and leaves Brady with Tiny''s wages to pay.

That would be just dinkum as we could then wave tata   to PornoBrum & leave her to explain to her employers.

I''d still prefer us just to stump up for Taylor though - and make sure we get what we need. After all that''s what ambition is about.

OTBC

BDU, i believe the situation is that QPR had a bid formally accepted by Brum (widely reported at £1.2m) therefore any club matching that bid can talk to the player. Once a club have formally accepted a bid they cannot ask another club to pay more. Therefore we know the price Brum are willing to let Taylor go for but are unwilling to pay it.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]BDU, i believe the situation is that QPR had a bid formally accepted by Brum (widely reported at £1.2m) therefore any club matching that bid can talk to the player. Once a club have formally accepted a bid they cannot ask another club to pay more. Therefore we know the price Brum are willing to let Taylor go for but are unwilling to pay it.[/quote]

Good morning Mr Carrow [8-|][*]

I am not sure about all this fuss about Taylor. I would love us to sign him because there is no doubt he would improve our squad. He impressed me when he was here although from what I saw he wasn''t the saviour some posters are making him out to be. I think threads like this are turning the Taylor situation into a test of the boards resolve to put up the neccessary funds rather than concentrating on the value of the player. It''s as though people want the board to pay whatever Birmingham ask just to prove the money is there.

So may I ask you a question Mr. Carrow - How much do you think Martin Taylor is worth, what in your opinion is the value of a 28 year old reserve team player? Maybe Roeders valuation is right? I understand that Birmingham paid 1.25m for him in 2004 when he was a first team player for Blackburn and had helped them qualify for the UEFA Cup. However he hasn''t featured in a single league game for his club this season with just one Carling Cup appearance to his name.

I have criticised this board in the past for not backing the manager when he wanted to sign players but I think this is maybe the wrong issue to turn into a test of their resolve to fund Roeder.

Always a pleasure sir... never a chore [Y]

But the fact is we don''t have the money to buy players who are significantly better than what we.

[/quote]Fact? Would you care to share. If you look up ''fact'' in the dictionary I dont think you''ll find it refers to ''moaning whining impatient football fans assumption''

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

But the fact is we don''t have the money to buy players who are significantly better than what we.

[/quote]

Fact? Would you care to share. If you look up ''fact'' in the dictionary I dont think you''ll find it refers to ''moaning whining impatient football fans assumption''
[/quote]

And just how would you describe your assumptions FFS? No less than five adjectives please. After all it''s about sharing isn''t it?

OTBC