Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Glenn transfer Policy will end in Tears

Mr Carrow, if that is the case then its an extra half a million we will need to find. The other points still stand. If there is a rule saying that once you accept a bid you can''t ask another team to pay more, I don''t know it. However other teams can bid more, didn''t we have a 750k bid for Vine accepted beginning of last season, only for Brum to bid 1.5m and get him? NN, I think the fuss about Tiny, is because people see him not just as a good defender, but also an on pitch leader and goal scorer, and therefore as a replacement for Malky. I think the Doc is a good defender at this level, but he doesn''t fit this mold. Your other point that certain fans is using the Tiny situation as a measure for the boards spending inclination is a good one. We all want the Turner''s to be ricch benefactors who will put in 10m and fund our promotion push, and the fact that Tiny isn''t here does seem to indicate that this isn''t the case. Some of us realise January isn''t the time for such a team re-build, but getting Tiny and a good striker would make us all feel more secure about the relegation threat.As for his valuation, he is worth what someone will pay. If ours is the only bid on the table at 750k, that is what he is worth. I would have no problem paying 1.25m for a player proven at this level, and chosen as captain for a promotion winning side last season. At 29 he is in his prime for a defender. But I don''t know the knock-on effects that this would have financially, if this means we couldn''t also afford a striker, I would be less willing. We must also remember that Taylor''s wages would be huge for us, he would cost us a lot more than the 750k/1m/1.25m being banded about on the message boards.

BDU, as i have said on other threads players have rights and cannot be auctioned off like a cow. If your interpretation is correct then it would be possible for Brum to turn down a bid from us of the same value they have already accepted from QPR. That would be totally unfair on the player and i believe it could be challenged legally. An "auction" for a player only happens whilst bids are being rejected-once a bid is accepted then it`s a level playing field and the player has a right to talk to whichever club matches that bid. I remember rumours that we were interested in Vine but i didn`t see any reports of a bid.

Nutty, yes i think Tiny is well worth £1.2m all things considered and i concur with several other posters points about how useful it is to have a defender who can create havoc in the opponents penalty area from set-pieces. We would be getting a player in we KNOW can do the job and that doesn`t happen too often in football. Remember the club talking about signing Crouch but instead going for Doherty and sticking him upfront? Or chasing Howard but bottling out of spending the money and we ended up with Brown? Going for the cheap option has proved time and again to be false economy but then we can`t expect this arrogant board to learn from their mistakes can we?

[quote user="Mr Carrow"]as i have said on other threads players have rights and cannot be auctioned off like a cow.[/quote]Quite correct - and if speculation is to be believed, Taylor really wants to come here.  I admit that my basis for assuming this is speculation, but he has been linked to QPR, WBA, and Leicester - and he hasn''t gone to any of them.  All 3 clubs have made purchases so far this window, all 3 have more money than us.  If they wanted him and he wanted to go, he''d be at one of them by now.This is a player who has apparently (speculation again, I grant you)

turned up for a Birmingham game with his

kids in the stadium wearing Norwich tops, wearing a Norwich tie. 

[quote]Nutty, yes i think Tiny is well worth £1.2m all things considered[/quote]1.2 million for a 29 year old defender with 6 months left on his contract, who will be an extremely good player for us, but who in all likelihood has no re-sale value, we will probably be his last club.He may well be worth 1.2 million, but if we can get him for 600 k, why pay more ?  You don''t seem to realise the strength of our bargaining position.

But gentlemen... I still believe the issue is about whether the board stump up the cash rather than the need for or the ability of the player. Posters, especially posters who for whatever reason can''t get to games, see Taylor as being our saviour and the reason why our form turned round. For me that player was Fotheringham. Now, all of a sudden its not fashionable to rate a defender on how many goals we concede and instead people use any other angle they can to prove a point because they have wanted our current centre back replaced for so long.

I, like everyone else on here, have no idea what budget Roeder has to spend on players but if 1.2m is a significant part of that budget I believe it would be wrong to spend it on a centre back. I have said all season that we have defended well enough and our problems have been creating and scoring goals and I see no reason to change that opinion now. Doherty and Shackell have been and are still good enough to get us to a respectable position in this league. If one of them is injured we would still have the option of bringing in an emergency loan which, if you remember, is why Taylor came here in the first place.

I would love us to sign Taylor, he would definately improve our squad, but no way do I see him as a priority, especially while we only seem to be able to ''murder'' teams 0-0.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But gentlemen... I still believe the issue is about whether the board stump up the cash rather than the need for or the ability of the player. Posters, especially posters who for whatever reason can''t get to games, see Taylor as being our saviour and the reason why our form turned round. For me that player was Fotheringham. Now, all of a sudden its not fashionable to rate a defender on how many goals we concede and instead people use any other angle they can to prove a point because they have wanted our current centre back replaced for so long.

I, like everyone else on here, have no idea what budget Roeder has to spend on players but if 1.2m is a significant part of that budget I believe it would be wrong to spend it on a centre back. I have said all season that we have defended well enough and our problems have been creating and scoring goals and I see no reason to change that opinion now. Doherty and Shackell have been and are still good enough to get us to a respectable position in this league. If one of them is injured we would still have the option of bringing in an emergency loan which, if you remember, is why Taylor came here in the first place.

I would love us to sign Taylor, he would definately improve our squad, but no way do I see him as a priority, especially while we only seem to be able to ''murder'' teams 0-0.

[/quote]

agreed NN.. our main priority is to stick the ball in the net! we are thin at the back.. but surely Spillane can provide cover if needed. the youth/reserves can come in at the back...

we need a striker.. personally i dont care if we never see Taylor in a Norwich shirt again. Yes he did well here on loan.. but if we were to miss out on him because we chased to long, thus missing out on a striker too.. then serious questions would need to be asked of how Roeder could of been so shortsighted.

i''ve heard names like Ameobi, Vine, Zamora all mentioned as coming here either permanently or as loan capturs.. id be happy either way for any of these as i think they could all improve the squad.

I still feel the money IS NOT there, the alleged "profit" doomcaster claims we made on Earnie and Etuhu, combined with offloading Joe Lewis and Chris Brown means we should be at least upping the taylor bid knowing we have cash in reserve. I said at the time we made Pattisons signing permanent that thts the budget gone and i still feel it is.

We never were told what happened to the Cotterill Money, or the Sharpe Money.. suffice to say it was the boards reluctance to release the funds for Sharpe, Varney and Iwelumo which led to Grant signing Strihavka, Brellier and Murray.  had he been backed to bring in the former players we''d be higher up the league and he''d still be manager.. the board pulled the rug from under his feet and i can see history repeating for Roeder i really can...

jas :)

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Mr Carrow"]as i have said on other threads players have rights and cannot be auctioned off like a cow.[/quote]

Quite correct - and if speculation is to be believed, Taylor really wants to come here.  I admit that my basis for assuming this is speculation, but he has been linked to QPR, WBA, and Leicester - and he hasn''t gone to any of them.  All 3 clubs have made purchases so far this window, all 3 have more money than us.  If they wanted him and he wanted to go, he''d be at one of them by now.

This is a player who has apparently (speculation again, I grant you) turned up for a Birmingham game with his kids in the stadium wearing Norwich tops, wearing a Norwich tie. 

[quote]Nutty, yes i think Tiny is well worth £1.2m all things considered[/quote]

1.2 million for a 29 year old defender with 6 months left on his contract, who will be an extremely good player for us, but who in all likelihood has no re-sale value, we will probably be his last club.

He may well be worth 1.2 million, but if we can get him for 600 k, why pay more ?  You don''t seem to realise the strength of our bargaining position.

[/quote]

Apparently the "no resale value" was the reason the board vetoed Worthingtons £1m move for Howard which lead to the signing of Brown, Strihavka etc. Howard was sold on for £1.5m a couple of weeks ago. Just another example of false economy........And i`m not sure you realise we are still a few points off the relegation places having been extremely lucky on the injury front of late.

"What happens when he identifies a target the club want 1.5 million the board will only give 750,000".

Do you not think that there''s a fair chance that may have already happened and explains the lack of arrival of a desperatley needed striker and a certain central defender?

Roeder is doing fantastic right now, which will be why he is going to be expected to continue to do so on a shoestring, and there are still some who can''t see it!!! We''ve got till Thursday midnight, or we better pray for an injury free remainder of the season. 

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Mr Carrow"]as i have said on other threads players have rights and cannot be auctioned off like a cow.[/quote]

Quite correct - and if speculation is to be believed, Taylor really wants to come here.  I admit that my basis for assuming this is speculation, but he has been linked to QPR, WBA, and Leicester - and he hasn''t gone to any of them.  All 3 clubs have made purchases so far this window, all 3 have more money than us.  If they wanted him and he wanted to go, he''d be at one of them by now.

This is a player who has apparently (speculation again, I grant you) turned up for a Birmingham game with his kids in the stadium wearing Norwich tops, wearing a Norwich tie. 

[quote]Nutty, yes i think Tiny is well worth £1.2m all things considered[/quote]

1.2 million for a 29 year old defender with 6 months left on his contract, who will be an extremely good player for us, but who in all likelihood has no re-sale value, we will probably be his last club.

He may well be worth 1.2 million, but if we can get him for 600 k, why pay more ?  You don''t seem to realise the strength of our bargaining position.

[/quote]

Apparently the "no resale value" was the reason the board vetoed Worthingtons £1m move for Howard which lead to the signing of Brown, Strihavka etc. Howard was sold on for £1.5m a couple of weeks ago. Just another example of false economy........And i`m not sure you realise we are still a few points off the relegation places having been extremely lucky on the injury front of late.

[/quote]

It didn''t seem to do the business for Derby however, in terms of results did it Mr. Carrow? That''s without factoring wages/agents fees into the equation as well. Also, hindsight is wonderful. If you were responsible for making the decision at Derby to acquire Howard, would you have had the foresight given Derby''s pathetic performances in the Premier that a lower tier team such as Leicester would come along and offer you 1.5 million? I very much doubt it and so would you if you''re being honest. Give me a break and give others that have to make such decision without the benefit of hindsight a break too. Further, who''s to say yet whether or not Leicester have paid over the odds or are able to recover their investment if they sell Howard on. Certainly it is to early to point out whether he is doing the business for Leicester. Their results/performances have not been outstanding in the matches he has played and, if the standing of Norwich is to be criticised, then surely you are unable to point to Leicester as an example of where we should be. Do you see how it''s too early to point out examples of false economy? Falsely I would suggest.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Do you think the amount Roeder is prepared to spend on Taylor might be in any way connected to amount the board have given him as a transfer budget? [:|]

[/quote]

Do you think Taylor is worth £1m? I don''t.

[quote user="ricky knight"]I agree players coming in lack the class needed for gaining promotion imo, we must show more ambition if we REALLY want to go back to the prem.[/quote]

Players coming in???

Have I missed something Ricky???

[quote user="McCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

As I''ve said before, I fear another Windass moment is approaching.

It all hangs on whether or not the NCFC board can bring themselves to allow ''ambition with prudence'' to supercede ''prudence with ambition''.

OTBC

[/quote]

What a load of carp.

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion of the situation regarding the purse strings and how tight they are or are not, none of what you say is based in fact.

In the same way that I am entitled to my opinion that GR is not being restrained with the purse strings but is unwilling to pay over inflated prices at this time of year.

I believe he will do enough to keep us up comfortably without wasting any kitty he has and then will prepare an assault at the big prize next season.

[/quote]

and fail while the board and our dippy fans shift the blame on to another monkey...

kitty my @rse... we are skint!!!!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="McCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

It all hangs on whether or not the NCFC board can bring themselves to allow ''ambition with prudence'' to supercede ''prudence with ambition''.

OTBC

[/quote]

What a load of carp.

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion of the situation regarding the purse strings and how tight they are or are not, none of what you say is based in fact.

In the same way that I am entitled to my opinion that GR is not being restrained with the purse strings but is unwilling to pay over inflated prices at this time of year.

I believe he will do enough to keep us up comfortably without wasting any kitty he has and then will prepare an assault at the big prize next season.

[/quote]

I expressed my opinion.

You expressed your opinion.

So what''s your beef?

Weird.

OTBC

[/quote]

So wir==ed it''s comical BlyBly...

Offer him some horseradish and tell him to shut up!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="McCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

What a load of carp.

[/quote]

I expressed my opinion.

You expressed your opinion.

So what''s your beef?

Weird.

OTBC

[/quote]

So wir==ed it''s comical BlyBly...

Offer him some horseradish and tell him to shut up!!!

[/quote]

Who opened the coffin lid?.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It didn''t seem to do the business for Derby however, in terms of results did it Mr. Carrow? That''s without factoring wages/agents fees into the equation as well. Also, hindsight is wonderful. If you were responsible for making the decision at Derby to acquire Howard, would you have had the foresight given Derby''s pathetic performances in the Premier that a lower tier team such as Leicester would come along and offer you 1.5 million? I very much doubt it and so would you if you''re being honest. Give me a break and give others that have to make such decision without the benefit of hindsight a break too. Further, who''s to say yet whether or not Leicester have paid over the odds or are able to recover their investment if they sell Howard on. Certainly it is to early to point out whether he is doing the business for Leicester. Their results/performances have not been outstanding in the matches he has played and, if the standing of Norwich is to be criticised, then surely you are unable to point to Leicester as an example of where we should be. Do you see how it''s too early to point out examples of false economy? Falsely I would suggest.

[/quote]

Yankee, Howard was instrumental in Derby`s promotion last season playing nearly every game and top scorer.

How often are we going to blame hindsight? How about lack of foresight? Player prices are going up year-on-year and yet our club are still trying to pick up quality players for the prices they were paying five years ago. Our current squad cost little more to assemble than that which got to the play-off final and the one which got us promoted and the club have received over £50m in tv revenue and transfer income since then. Some posters on here should have a good think as to why that is.

As for false economy have a think about the contributions of Jarrett, Colin, Thorne, Gallagher, Robinson, Louis-Jean, Brown, Strihavka, Murray etc. There are a few exceptions but in general if you pay peanuts.......

[quote user="Mook"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Do you think the amount Roeder is prepared to spend on Taylor might be in any way connected to amount the board have given him as a transfer budget? [:|]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In the current climate he is worth every penny. How often does a club get the chance to sign a player they KNOW can do the job and who wants to join? How much money have the club wasted on useless freebies because they won`t pay the going rate for proven quality? Maybe there is a connection between this and the teams spiral of decline on the pitch? [I] I take it you lot are happy with more of the same?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Mook"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In the current climate he is worth every penny. How often does a club get the chance to sign a player they KNOW can do the job and who wants to join? How much money have the club wasted on useless freebies because they won`t pay the going rate for proven quality? Maybe there is a connection between this and the teams spiral of decline on the pitch? [I] I take it you lot are happy with more of the same?

[/quote]

But whether Taylor is worth 1m surely depends on how much money we have to spend. If Bly''s old pal is right and we have 4-5m then he probably would be worth 1m. But then again if Wiz is right and we are skint then he wouldn''t be worth going a further 1m in debt for. As for my view, I don''t thnk he is worth the majority of our transfer budget because I would prefer it spent on other areas.

Mr Carrow - why do you continually make the ridiculous conceited assumption that anyone who disagrees with you is happy with the decline of recent seasons.[8-|] [N]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tosh & desparation. Players are worth what someone will pay for them, that is how markets work. We don''t want to pay what Brum are asking for Taylor and surprisingly considering how high he is rated on this board neither does anyone else. QED - he is not worth the cash.

The priority is for a striker, anyway.

But surely in two days time he effectively becomes worthless and we would surely be odds on to sign him on a free in the summer and save the whole fee?  If it is correct that he is out of contract then why up the bid - its Brum who need to act.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Taylor''s contract doesnt run out until summer 2009 not this year.

For two and a half years now it`s been the same. There is always some excuse not spend decent money on the team and the funny thing is if we fast-forward 2,5 or 10 years some posters on here will still be trotting out the same old excuses no matter what position we are in. After years of failing with other teams cheap cast-offs we, having just raised another £800k on top of the £5.5m in the summer, are refusing to sign a player of proven quality to bolster an extremely weak squad still threatened with relegation for the sake of a few £100k. He is NOT out of contract in the summer so those using that excuse will have to shift to another one quick.

It is the attitude which got the club into this mess in the first place and unless alot of people connected with this club get their collective heads out of the sand we are going nowhere fast.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

For two and a half years now it`s been the same. There is always some excuse not spend decent money on the team and the funny thing is if we fast-forward 2,5 or 10 years some posters on here will still be trotting out the same old excuses no matter what position we are in. After years of failing with other teams cheap cast-offs we, having just raised another £800k on top of the £5.5m in the summer, are refusing to sign a player of proven quality to bolster an extremely weak squad still threatened with relegation for the sake of a few £100k. He is NOT out of contract in the summer so those using that excuse will have to shift to another one quick.

It is the attitude which got the club into this mess in the first place and unless alot of people connected with this club get their collective heads out of the sand we are going nowhere fast.

[/quote]

You mean that a £850k bid for a striker that is not good enough for Stoke City is not the answer Mr.Carrow?

Well now I am gobsmacked!!!  [;)]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

You mean that a £850k bid for a striker that is not good enough for Stoke City is not the answer Mr.Carrow?

[/quote]

He''s still miles better than tubby Cureton!

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]"There is always some excuse not spend decent money on the team" - how about Leeds as an excuse? We could put ourselves massively in debt with the hope of promotion but I''d rather have a financally stable team who will still be stable over the next 2.5 or 10 years, and who are undeniably making steady progress up the table. Glen has taken us from the bottom to 16th in the short time he''s been here. With some more purchases in the summer when transfer fees are more sensible we can definitely be pushng for a play-off place next season, without risking the club''s stability.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

wow you''re back!

please go away again.

hope this helps.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]It is the attitude that the vast majority of teams are taking now.  You''re an observant bloke, I assume the credit crunch of the last 6 months hasn''t passed you by ?  You know, sub-prime lending problems, Northern Rock, all those people queuing outside the banks to get their money ?  I''m also guessing that you realise that the football teams that don''t have billionaire sugar-daddies have to exist within some form of economic gravity - One look at the transfers made during the January Transfer Window shows you that there isn''t a lot of money changing hands, the vast majority of transactions are loans, I suspect the reason for this is that lenders are being a lot less generous with their money to clubs now.I''m fairly certain that we''ll either get a loan central defender in, or Taylor will come here as a result of the Cahill deal going through, and at a reasonable price for Norwich - as you say, Taylor wants to come here, he isn''t making Birminghams'' first team, and is probably costing them 20k a week for every week he stays there. The player has the power in any negotiations in these post-Bosman days.  Quite why you insist that Norwich should pay over the odds when they are in a position of bargaining strength to prove some kind of point is beyond me.  Why should Norwich act in a different way to any other club that doesn''t have a billionaire, in this situation ?Incidentally, I suspect that you''ll be pleasantly surprised with the quality of the players brought in, in the next few days.  Roeder has secured Pattison permanently, Evans, Bertrand, and Camara on loan, and they are all performing well.  I expect the trend to continue, we were lucky this bloke was out of a job - he seems to know everyone in football.

Agreed - great post.  Cant the moaning minnies at least wait until Friday before posting the usual trash?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

It is the attitude that the vast majority of teams are taking now.  You''re an observant bloke, I assume the credit crunch of the last 6 months hasn''t passed you by ?  You know, sub-prime lending problems, Northern Rock, all those people queuing outside the banks to get their money ?  I''m also guessing that you realise that the football teams that don''t have billionaire sugar-daddies have to exist within some form of economic gravity - One look at the transfers made during the January Transfer Window shows you that there isn''t a lot of money changing hands, the vast majority of transactions are loans, I suspect the reason for this is that lenders are being a lot less generous with their money to clubs now.

I''m fairly certain that we''ll either get a loan central defender in, or Taylor will come here as a result of the Cahill deal going through, and at a reasonable price for Norwich - as you say, Taylor wants to come here, he isn''t making Birminghams'' first team, and is probably costing them 20k a week for every week he stays there. The player has the power in any negotiations in these post-Bosman days.  Quite why you insist that Norwich should pay over the odds when they are in a position of bargaining strength to prove some kind of point is beyond me.  Why should Norwich act in a different way to any other club that doesn''t have a billionaire, in this situation ?

Incidentally, I suspect that you''ll be pleasantly surprised with the quality of the players brought in, in the next few days.  Roeder has secured Pattison permanently, Evans, Bertrand, and Camara on loan, and they are all performing well.  I expect the trend to continue, we were lucky this bloke was out of a job - he seems to know everyone in football.
[/quote]

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

"There is always some excuse not spend decent money on the team" - how about Leeds as an excuse? We could put ourselves massively in debt with the hope of promotion but I''d rather have a financally stable team who will still be stable over the next 2.5 or 10 years, and who are undeniably making steady progress up the table. Glen has taken us from the bottom to 16th in the short time he''s been here. With some more purchases in the summer when transfer fees are more sensible we can definitely be pushng for a play-off place next season, without risking the club''s stability.
[/quote]

Anybody who quotes Leeds as an example seriously needs to be ignored.

Quite frankly it''s just intellectual dishonesty.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]Oooohhhh!!! Get her!What is intellectually dishonest about stating that if more money goes out than comes in, your debt increases? If you carry on spending more than you earn, you eventually go bust.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Oooohhhh!!! Get her!

What is intellectually dishonest about stating that if more money goes out than comes in, your debt increases? If you carry on spending more than you earn, you eventually go bust.
[/quote]

To my mind Leeds is an extreme case and proves little or nothing. It''s the ''big bad wolf'' usually pulled out - sometimes through misunderstanding, but more often just to try to make the more ambitious shut up.

Whooooooooo!! Got him too![:D]

One love.

OTBC