Sign in to follow this  
Dr Terrible

Eastwood only cost Wolves 1.5m-Why didnt we bid?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

As Wings says earlier, Eastwood wanted to go to Wolves. He was even aware that Charlton, who have one hell of a greater chance than Wolves will ever have of going back up next season were interested, but that didn''t sway him-so he was unlikely to want to tralk to us and if we were aware or made aware of that fact, we probably quietly dropped whatever interest we had.

Same with Sharp, he only ever wanted to go to Sheff Utd.

Hopefully the dissenters will not find fault with the club for failing to entice players who, for whatever reason, didn''t have any interest in joining us in  the first place?

[/quote]

Its up to the board to sell the club to the player. Wolves obviously done a better job of that than our board did.

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"]

The choices were Sharp, Eastwood, Cureton. We took choice number 3, the cheapest option.

Eastwood was never an option after we had signed Cureton.

[/quote]

Spot on RICARDO... and anybody that hasn''t lost the sight of both eyes can clearly see it!!!  [;)]

[/quote]

Smudger, we could have bid 10 million for Eastwood and I guarentee we still would not have got him, the same goes for Sharp. Ultimately the players knew where they wanted to go and there wasn''t alot we could do about it but since when has that stopped you using it as an excuse to down tread the club again. Do tell us actually why you believe the club failed to get these signings, using real factual evidence?
[/quote]

3 years of over prudent business has made young promising players in the UK realise that NCFC plc simply has no ambition under Delia & Co... FACT!!!

I will agree with you that it is a little late to change any of that now... other than a total over-haul of those in the boardroom!!!

[quote]Its up to the board to sell the club to the player. Wolves obviously done a better job of that than our board did.[/quote]

Sharp wanted to be a Blade again, being born and trained as a Blade.  He got his wish.

Eastwood wanted to go to Wolves.  Grant was quoted as saying that he had never enquired about him, I provided the link for you above.  If you accept Grant at his word, then this thread is a non-story, as Grant didn''t want Eastwood.

Cureton wanted to come here, as I believe the other 5 signings so far this summer did. 

Are the following things good things ?

When the top scorer in the championship last season wants to play for us ? 

When the goalkeeper who has saved a pen from Ronaldinho and played Champions League football wants to play for us ? 

When the top scorer in the Czech top division wants to play for us ?

When a defensive midfielder who led his team to break the Old Firm dominance and scare the living bejeezus out of Celtic for a season, before his blind chairman started dropping him, wants to play for us ?

Maybe it''s just me, but these things sound good.  Especially when you consider that we''ve still got cash in the bank for a promotion push in January if we need it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"]

The choices were Sharp, Eastwood, Cureton. We took choice number 3, the cheapest option.

[/quote]

Spot on RICARDO... and anybody that hasn''t lost the sight of both eyes can clearly see it!!!  [;)]

[/quote]

Smudger, we could have bid 10 million for Eastwood and I guarentee we still would not have got him, the same goes for Sharp. Ultimately the players knew where they wanted to go and there wasn''t alot we could do about it but since when has that stopped you using it as an excuse to down tread the club again. Do tell us actually why you believe the club failed to get these signings, using real factual evidence?
[/quote]

3 years of over prudent business has made young promising players in the UK realise that NCFC plc simply has no ambition under Delia & Co... FACT!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I will agree with you that it is a little late to change any of that now... other than a total over-haul of those in the boardroom!!!

[/quote] zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[quote user="Millo"]

Its up to the board to sell the club to the player. Wolves obviously done a better job of that than our board did.

[/quote]

Don''t be ridiculous! It''s upto the staff of the football club. They show targets around, and give the "sell" if you like. That''s why you gets players who say, "Peter Grant impressed me".

Let''s get something straight right now; the board provides money. Everything else is dealt with by the staff of the club. To suggest anything otherwise is daft.

[quote user="Millo"]

[/quote]

I think you''ll find its Grant, Duffy and Doncaster who''ll sell the club to the player. The board don''t get involved in showing the player around Colney, the stadium, areas to live in etc etc. Doncaster will then be the man who does the financial business with player/agents.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

the world class comment was a micky take mate. i dont expect world class just championship class, not too much to ask, we are in the championship, the only proven signing at the moment is cureton.imo.[/quote]

Brellier & marshall have both played at the top end of the spl which i would say is equal too if not better than the championship. so that just just leaves ostembor & gilks unproven at championship level.

[quote user="Millo"]

If Grant wasnt interested in Eastwood why did he make an offer last week? I read it on the home page we had entered the bidding?

[/quote]

In PG''s most recent interview on the subject he was quoted as saying that he had not enquired about Eastwood, are you calling him a liar?

Newspapers always claim that clubs have ''entered the bidding'' for certain players but that doesn''t necessarily mean it''s true. Unfortunately some people are more susceptible to this kind of ''spin'' than others, it''s a good job us ''realists'' are here to set you straight!

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Millo"]

If Grant wasnt interested in Eastwood why did he make an offer last week? I read it on the home page we had entered the bidding?

[/quote]

In PG''s most recent interview on the subject he was quoted as saying that he had not enquired about Eastwood, are you calling him a liar?

Newspapers always claim that clubs have ''entered the bidding'' for certain players but that doesn''t necessarily mean it''s true. Unfortunately some people are more susceptible to this kind of ''spin'' than others, it''s a good job us ''realists'' are here to set you straight!

[/quote]

There was a story on this site about it, are you saying the web teamk made it up to pass the time?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Southend United claim they have rejected a £1.5million offer from Norwich City for striker Freddy Eastwood. “Norwich have made a bid for Freddy but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” club chairman Ron Martin said yesterday.

City''s Eastwood bid rejected - claim- 22/06/2007 13:51:00
Southend United today claimed they had rejected a £1.5million offer from Norwich City for striker Freddy Eastwood. “Norwich have made a bid for Freddy but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” club chairman Ron Martin told the Southend Echo.

From the evening news 24 archives, unless you are calling them liars?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I''m now as straight as a ruler.......(a third world dictator kind of ''ruler'' that is). I''m overjoyed that good honest folk with deep hearted integrity refuse to be spun.......preferring instead, to be hung out to dry. I just wish I could stop tellin'' porky pies......then folk would like an'' appreciate me so much more. Keep tellin'' us all how it is Sharky, you''re destined for a place in history and your own cloud in heaven - you little cherub you.

Before you reply, yeah, I know you were being realist-ically ''impish'' and not ''cherubic''.......[8-|]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Smudger, we could have bid 10 million for Eastwood and I guarentee we still would not have got him, the same goes for Sharp. Ultimately the players knew where they wanted to go and there wasn''t alot we could do about it but since when has that stopped you using it as an excuse to down tread the club again. Do tell us actually why you believe the club failed to get these signings, using real factual evidence?[/quote]

3 years of over prudent business has made young promising players in the UK realise that NCFC plc simply has no ambition under Delia & Co... FACT!!!

[/quote]That is not  factual evidence, it is merely your opinion, putting fact in big letters afterward does not make it so, now quoting one of these players with such infomation would be considered substantial evidence towards this claim.Fail+1

[quote]

Southend United claim they have rejected a £1.5million offer from

Norwich City for striker Freddy Eastwood. “Norwich have made a bid for

Freddy but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” club

chairman Ron Martin said yesterday.City''s Eastwood bid rejected - claim- 22/06/2007 13:51:00Southend

United today claimed they had rejected a £1.5million offer from Norwich

City for striker Freddy Eastwood. “Norwich have made a bid for Freddy

but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” club chairman

Ron Martin told the Southend Echo.

From the evening news 24 archives, unless you are calling them liars?[/quote]It was known at the time that we wanted Sharp, as did Wolves.  I think that Ron Martin said that in order to ensure that Wolves made a bid on his player, rather than losing interest in Eastwood in favour of Sharp.  As it ended up, Sharp went to Sheff Utd anyway, ensuring Eastwoods'' move to Wolves.In this situation, I would say that Ron Martin has more to gain from a lie than Peter Grant.

This is ridiculous he didn''t come to us we should just accept it and move on to players who actually want to come like Cureton, he might be 32 but at least we know that for the couple of seasons that he will be playing for us he will put everything he has got into it. There is still time for us to make more signings so nothing can be judged untill the transfer window closes and after our new players have had time to prove themselves.

[quote user="Millo"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Millo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Southend United claim they have rejected a £1.5million offer from Norwich City for striker Freddy Eastwood. “Norwich have made a bid for Freddy but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” club chairman Ron Martin said yesterday.

Southend United today claimed they had rejected a £1.5million offer from Norwich City for striker Freddy Eastwood. “Norwich have made a bid for Freddy but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” club chairman Ron Martin told the Southend Echo.

[/quote]

Mmm, Southend knew they had no chance of keeping Eastwood so clearly it is in their best interests to start a bidding war. Were they perhaps using us to help with this?

They certainly had more to gain from spinning the truth than our manager does.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Millo"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Millo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mmm, Southend knew they had no chance of keeping Eastwood so clearly it is in their best interests to start a bidding war. Were they perhaps using us to help with this?

[/quote]

I think you will find it is illigal for Southend to say we''ve put a bid in for a player when we actually havent. Its also a bit naive to suggest a clubs chairman would actually do that. If it was the case surely our board would of set the record straight. Either way its not good, in one case we have a board who bottled it in the transfer in the other case we have a board who will let the clubs name be attached to something it has nothing to do with.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

I think you will find it is illigal for Southend to say we''ve put a bid in for a player when we actually havent. Its also a bit naive to suggest a clubs chairman would actually do that. If it was the case surely our board would of set the record straight. Either way its not good, in one case we have a board who bottled it in the transfer in the other case we have a board who will let the clubs name be attached to something it has nothing to do with.

[/quote]

You think I''m being naive!? Take a look aroung Arthur, how many football clubs play by the rules? What would have happened if we had complained about Southend''s conduct? Sweet FA! I think they took a calculated risk to try and up the transfer fee for Eastwood but I accept that I can''t prove that.

It just seems odd to me that people like you are willing believe everything that comes out of the Southend chairman''s mouth and call our manager a liar!

[quote]I think you will find it is illigal for Southend to say we''ve put a bid

in for a player when we actually havent. Its also a bit naive to

suggest a clubs chairman would actually do that. If it was the case

surely our board would of set the record straight. Either way its not

good, in one case we have a board who bottled it in the transfer in the

other case we have a board who will let the clubs name be attached to

something it has nothing to do with.[/quote]It''s illegal to say that another club is interested in your player ?  I''d love to know which act that''s under.Interesting that in attempting to prove your point, you would rather believe the Chairman of Southend than the Manager of Norwich.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Millo"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Millo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you will find it is illigal for Southend to say we''ve put a bid in for a player when we actually havent[/quote]

i think ur getting confused with "tapping up" Arthur.. which is meeting a player secretly then convincing him to sign fro u without making a bid to his club or approaching the club in the first place.. (EG chelski and Ashley cole).

its not illeagle to say u have put a bid in for a player when u haven''t clubs do it all the time to unsettle players.. how many times have we heards manager say "i havent heard from x club"?

jas :)

[quote user="ricky knight"]Come on guys you you know nobody would ever tell porkies at carrow road, all other clubs lie but not little old norridge.[/quote]

I think the point is more that Grant really doesn''t have anything to gain from lying. If Eastwood had his heart set on Wolves then there would have been nothing Nowich could do anyway.

I can see why Grant didn''t bid for him to be honest if you look at his goal scoring record in the past it is not awesome, although I am not saying he won''t be any good, just that I don''t think he''s as good as everyone makes out. 

who said his heart was set on wolves, wolves won the race what do you expect Eastwood to say, i rather i went to norwich but they were too tight, did not show they wanted me etc.Dont be naive guys.

Eastwood is just another in a long line of "Why didn''t We ? " players who we get linked with in the press, and then everyone gets up in arms because they''re going to be the next Ronaldinho and we didn''t buy them because we didn''t show ambition.  This list is long and most of the players tend to never be heard from again except in re-runs of the same tired argument.  Danny Crow anyone ?Well guess what, an ambitious club doesn''t buy a 13 goal a season striker.  They buy last seasons'' championship top scorer.  And, what''s even better, they buy him for half the price !  Brilliant ! [:)]

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is not  factual evidence, it is merely your opinion, putting fact in big letters afterward does not make it so, now quoting one of these players with such infomation would be considered substantial evidence towards this claim.

Fail+1
[/quote]

I think that you will find that is FACTUAL eveidence...  it is just that you and many others are too blinkered to see it.

Go and ask Freddy Eastwood and Billy Sharp why they didn''t come to Norwich one on one in a trusting meaningful conversation and I know what the answer would be.

Of course you would again fall down for the first line of spin they sold you there wouldn''t you?

Coz many players sure as hell are not going to start slagging another club off in the middle of a pub or something are they?

Never mind keep them yella & gren goggles on won''t you???  [:P]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Eastwood is just another in a long line of "Why didn''t We ? " players who we get linked with in the press, and then everyone gets up in arms because they''re going to be the next Ronaldinho and we didn''t buy them because we didn''t show ambition.  This list is long and most of the players tend to never be heard from again except in re-runs of the same tired argument.  Danny Crow anyone ?

Well guess what, an ambitious club doesn''t buy a 13 goal a season striker.  They buy last seasons'' championship top scorer.  And, what''s even better, they buy him for half the price !  Brilliant ! [:)]
[/quote]

Unfortunately that "half price" was actually twice his true worth. Anyone who thinks a 32 year old Cureton was a bargain at £800k is living football fantasy land

I think that you will find that is FACTUAL eveidence...  it is just that you and many others are too blinkered to see it.

Fantastic - the paranoid beliefs of a true conspiracy theorist. Smudger is off into fantasy land.

Go and ask Freddy Eastwood and Billy Sharp why they didn''t come to Norwich one on one in a trusting meaningful conversation and I know what the answer would be.

Use as evidence an impossible demand - not very rigorous is it.  Of course only Smudger could have a "trustful meaningful conversation" except that he doesn''t need it because he knows what they would say - pure class!

Of course you would again fall down for the first line of spin they sold you there wouldn''t you?

Says Smudger spinning like a top!

Coz many players sure as hell are not going to start slagging another club off in the middle of a pub or something are they?

You lost me there Mr S

Says Smudger who seems to be wearing sunglasses in a coal bunker. 

I''m still glad I picked you in my list of top posters Smudger - you are like a team playing entertaining attacking football while plummeting down the leagues.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Smudger, we could have bid 10 million for Eastwood and I guarentee we still would not have got him, the same goes for Sharp. Ultimately the players knew where they wanted to go and there wasn''t alot we could do about it but since when has that stopped you using it as an excuse to down tread the club again. Do tell us actually why you believe the club failed to get these signings, using real factual evidence?[/quote]

[/quote]That is not  factual evidence, it is merely your opinion, putting fact in big letters afterward does not make it so, now quoting one of these players with such infomation would be considered substantial evidence towards this claim.Fail+1[/quote]

[/quote]Smudger you need to back up your arguement with evidence, it may be your belief that you know what they would say wy they didn''t come to Norwich but it is NOT Factual evidence and exactly what spin are going on about? Never mind keep the blindfold on won''t you?Fail+1

[quote user="ricky knight"]who said his heart was set on wolves, wolves won the race what do you expect Eastwood to say, i rather i went to norwich but they were too tight, did not show they wanted me etc.Dont be naive guys.[/quote]

He said his heart was set on Wolves, he said that he thought they would be promoted next season and wanted to go there - this was weeks ago now