Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Delia Will Never Take Us Anywhere!.............

Except obscurity maybe.

Now I see Coventry, yes bloody Coventry!, will be taken over next month by a USA investor, thus wiping out their 28 million pound debt overnight,  they will also have a 20 million warchest too, so watch them go up next season.

But none of this of course is for La La Delia and her ''little old Norwich''. Oh no!, we aren''t allowed to court that kind of investor. Simply because La La won''t allow it!.

No, we get two new local directors who have LOANED us 2 million!. And even that isn''t for new players, its so we don''t have to sell our best ones, as we only have two anyway, who''s bothered?. 

La La''s insists any investor must come from Norfolk, and no foreinger will be allowed to invest in City. Not only is that statement dubious by its very nature, I''m sure the current shareholders are well pleased with their smaller profits too.

Unless that woman leaves our club, we are going to continue to be left behind whilst others of our statue leap ahead.

I cannot see how anyone can possibly support this pathetic view of hers.....................so why try to do it?.

She''s not a saint, she didn''t save Norwich (Mr Watling did!) she''s a tired figurehead for a club adrift alone in the football world.

Someone save us please.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Back on track I see, Wizard.

Go for it!

OTBC

[/quote]

Or perhaps back on his own?

Wiz, just ask yourself WHY would a foreign investor put money into the club. Being foreign they are extremely unlikely to be Norwich fans, so they don''t have the interests of our club at heart. They might be interested in just making a name for themselves, but there are easier ways of doing that if you are rich.

Its because they want to MAKE money. They want to be even richer, and they see our Premiership as under-financed considering how big the returns for the top clubs (or any Premiership club) can be. Abramovich is not the norm, Glazer is. Now what happens at other clubs with investors who are after making money?

1. Ticket prices go up. This helps them maximise their profits (or offset their huge spending if they are Chelsea).

2. As a result of 1, the traditional football fans gets further priced out of the game. This results in a rubbish atmosphere in the ground, as the ground fills up with corporate entertainment types (the prawn sandwich brigade).

3. City centre grounds get sold, and new stadia are built on the outskirts. These new stadia lack the tradition and atmosphere of the old grounds, but at least the investors make some money selling off the city centre ground to further maximise their profits.

4. The Saturday 3pm kick-off gets to be rarer and rarer (in the Premiserhip) so clubs can maximise their TV money. If Sky can sell more live games internationally, they make more money, the stakes are raised, the clubs make more money, the investors further maximise their profits. Don''t forget you can really only watch one game at a time...

5. What happens when investors pull all their money out because profits aren''t as high as expected? All the clubs getting this foreign investment will only make enough return whilst in the Premiership. Unfortunately, there are many more clubs getting foreign investment than will fit in the Premiership. Someone, soon, will lose a lot of money...

6... but the way so many investment deals are done, the investors are actually managing to put a huge dept burdon on the club. I am by no means an expert in this field, but didn''t Glazer take a team in profit and put them several hundred million pounds in debt? Whilst Man U are unlikely to drop out of the top 4, other teams ''investments'' are structured in similar ways, I personally think that some club in the next few years will have financial problems that make Leeds debt look like pocket money.

''That woman'' has been true to her word and found investors who DO have the club''s best interest at heart. Skipper has shown the type of person that make up our board, by selling his shares without taking a profit. They have the club''s best interests at heart. Are there any fans who bought shares in NCFC to make a profit? I don''t have shares, but all the fans that I know who did invest did so to help the club. Just like Skipper, just like Delia, just like the Turners. 

Why are you complaining about getting a couple worth 275m on our board? 2m is just the start. Our board never ever show their full hand, and that obviously hasn''t changed. Whilst these two obviously can''t lay their hands on all their wealth at the drop of the hat, they love City and they are rich, highly succesful and highly ambitious people. It is GREAT news!

What is happening to the average football fan? When Glazer bought Man U, most were disgusted. Now most are screaming for money from anywhere, without a view to what the consequences can be.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Except obscurity maybe.

Now I see Coventry, yes bloody Coventry!, will be taken over next month by a USA investor, thus wiping out their 28 million pound debt overnight,  they will also have a 20 million warchest too, so watch them go up next season.

But none of this of course is for La La Delia and her ''little old Norwich''. Oh no!, we aren''t allowed to court that kind of investor. Simply because La La won''t allow it!.

No, we get two new local directors who have LOANED us 2 million!. And even that isn''t for new players, its so we don''t have to sell our best ones, as we only have two anyway, who''s bothered?. 

La La''s insists any investor must come from Norfolk, and no foreinger will be allowed to invest in City. Not only is that statement dubious by its very nature, I''m sure the current shareholders are well pleased with their smaller profits too.

Unless that woman leaves our club, we are going to continue to be left behind whilst others of our statue leap ahead.

I cannot see how anyone can possibly support this pathetic view of hers.....................so why try to do it?.

She''s not a saint, she didn''t save Norwich (Mr Watling did!) she''s a tired figurehead for a club adrift alone in the football world.

Someone save us please.

[/quote]

More attention seeking drivel from Bobsville .................. or in other words ....................... utter bilge ................. just my opinion of course!.

Got to be a binner on a wind up. [:@]

In there somewhere is some sense. Delia has nailed her flag to some pretty indefensible masts in the past. Let’s look at them:

Bryan Hamilton: Delia really threw her toys out of the pram over that one. She believed that a manager who did the equivalent of buying players on eBay was good for the club. Eventually she gracelessly bowed to overwhelming pressure and let someone sack him. Just in time.

Nigel Worthington: Some will argue that the six months that she stubbornly held onto her Nigel when all around her were privately telling her to bale out has cost us the chance of a Premiership spot because, let’s face it, our best chance was this season and we blew it with an small, inadequate, largely untalented squad assembled by Nigel. Want an example of what could have been done with little cash investment had we changed to a proper manager earlier – Sunderland.

Ipswich: Her Delia saw a shining example of a club that we should try to emulate. Their clever management while in the Premiership was the way she wanted to take our club. Sheepshanks could do no wrong. Really?

Charlton: An even bigger example of where we should be as a club. Three managers in one season and about to go into financial meltdown as they have not been as prudent as we were led to believe. Maybe they have learned their lessons and will dump a few players and bounce back. But, maybe they will do a mini-Leeds. Good example for us that one.

Now we have Delia’s pronouncement on foreign investment and all those nasty non-Norfolk people wanting to get involved with our club and put loads of money into getting us into the Premiership. What does little ol’ Norwich want with all that sort of thing? Tried it once and didn’t like it… Yesterday Rick Waghorn wrote an article largely in defence of this position suggesting that a foreign investor wouldn’t sit down with supporters in Diss and explain what was (or wasn’t) happening in the club. He asked if we would really want a club where the directors didn’t listen to the fans, but simply turned it into an investment that achieved and maintained Premiership status. Ummmmm tricky one that Rick and Delia! Now let me think – cosy chat in Diss or entertaining football at the highest level? I’ll have to get back to you….

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]

Will you just shut up! 

[/quote]

Oh, very constructive!.

Ditto: Nutty Nigel.

If you two could put up a superb counter argument like Putney has on here (good points raised which I will digest Putney) I, and others, might take you more seriously.

As it is however..........................[|-)]

South Norfolk Old Boy:

Stunning reply my man.

This is what this messageboard can achieve...............on a good day!.

Worth logging on for.

Except obscurity maybe.

Someone save us please.

[/quote]

If you had any understanding of company accounts and transactions between companies and directors you would know that this is a usual.

Do you really think that Abramovich just hands over money? He introduces it into the company through a directors loan account which shows up on the company balance sheet as a creditor.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Jarroldstander"]

Will you just shut up! 

[/quote]

Oh, very constructive!.

If you two could put up a superb counter argument like Putney has on here (good points raised which I will digest Putney) I, and others, might take you more seriously.

[/quote]

I agree with Wiz and i wish others would wake up before its too late, another two to add to the carrow road muppet show,

OK, so lets assume West Brom are successful in the playoffs this season, and Wigan are relegated from the Premiership...

In the Championship you''ll have Wigan, Watford, Charlton receiving Premiership parachute payments.

Derby have their investment from this season, and it will be interesting to see what happens there if they are not promoted this season.

You then have Coventry, Sheffield Wednesday, Leicester, Southampton and Ipswich who could/will all have massive cash injections to play with over the the summer as a result of investment or takeovers.

All of the above doesn''t include Wolves, Stoke or Crystal Palace who all have spent decent money on loans or transfers, and have backing.

That is 11 clubs, for 3 promotion places.

The fact is a number of people will buy into Championship clubs with the view of making money from the now infamous £60m Premiership pot. But several are not going to make it.

Personally, I think you need stability and you have to spend some money well. Not necessarily sell yourself out. To think yesterday was not an important and productive day for our football club is, in my opinion, acting like a spoilt child.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Jarroldstander"]

Will you just shut up! 

[/quote]

Oh, very constructive!.

[/quote]

I agree with Wiz and i wish others would wake up before its too late, another two to add to the carrow road muppet show,

[/quote]

Lets not start getting at the new Directors yet eh?

While I have more concern over the ''old'' board members after yesterdays well spun announcement I think the Turners will bring some good business sense, and hopefully direction to the club in time.

Lets not forgot Skipper has talked about gradual changes so its no massive leap to think they may be here to eventually take over from Delia.

Personally I don''t love the idea of foreign investment, its no guarantee and is fraught with problems. However, I WOULDN''T dismiss it our of hand either.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Jarroldstander"]

Will you just shut up! 

[/quote]

Oh, very constructive!.

[/quote]

1st Wizard wrote:

Tonight, some pigs just flew past my window .................. or in other words ....................... utter tripe ................. just my opinion of course!.

Got to be a binner on a wind up.[:@]

1st Wizard wrote:

macdougall''s perm wrote:  You called him a ''binner'' - how is that not being rude?

Stop being over sensitive MP, Compared to what others wrote about Herbert, that wasn''t rude, that was banter mate.

The irony is breathtaking!

Ditto Ricky Knight.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

OK, so lets assume West Brom are successful in the playoffs this season, and Wigan are relegated from the Premiership...

In the Championship you''ll have Wigan, Watford, Charlton receiving Premiership parachute payments.

Derby have their investment from this season, and it will be interesting to see what happens there if they are not promoted this season.

You then have Coventry, Sheffield Wednesday, Leicester, Southampton and Ipswich who could/will all have massive cash injections to play with over the the summer as a result of investment or takeovers.

All of the above doesn''t include Wolves, Stoke or Crystal Palace who all have spent decent money on loans or transfers, and have backing.

That is 11 clubs, for 3 promotion places.

[/quote]

It is, of course, 12... d''oh! and sorry...

You can have millions or in our case less to spend, it''s the Manager PG and his staff who choose the players which are going to play for City.

Well after a very poor season in which PG signed two midfielders Lappin (only one goal for St Mirren and one for City) and Fotheringham (two goals for Aarau and no goals for City).

With all respect for these two players but they are not going improve a lot I''m afraid next season and that''s the same with all those players we hold on to and that''s almost the whole the team.

So please sign some players who can come in straight away in the starting eleven and who can score goals from the back and yes midfield !!!

Because with the same team as last season it''s going te be .... aaaaaghhhhh

And we don''t want to hear again how difficult it is on the transfer market while other teams are bringing in players every other day.

PG must know how the situation is with Tony Warner.

Wants TW to stay? Is he for sale? What salary is he on .... you name it.

He and his staff must know all these things and act ... come on !

OTBC !!!

For me the appointment of two new Directors, with a passion for Norwich City (which is different to the much mis-quoted "only Norfolk people need apply" mantra) and the accompanying cash injection is a step in the right direction. I have no problemn with Norwich City only courting investors that have a passion for the club. I do however disagree with those of you that suggest that Norwich are not an attractive proposition (for example comparing us with the "Mondeo" of the football world) and I give you two examples - Gretna from Scottish non league footy to the Scots Prem (and a Scottish Cup final) in a very short space of time with the aid of money from a guy born in Sunderland and Blackpool who are in the league one play offsand who have been bought by an eastern european gentleman -  mbncfc you can add them to the list of clubs that will spend should they get promoted!!.

we have been loaned 2 mill, i agree this is not good.

however we dont know yet if this all the money they are putting in.

they wounldn''t say there is a 2 mill. transfer kitty, would they ? this could only put transfer fees up. and we all know about secretive the transfer deals are done at norwich.

one other small point. on talk sport today john gornt the presenter and a cov supporter said he was going to the award dinner tonight and was sitting on the same table as a man

( sorry cant remember his name ) who is about to buy coventry. he is a local man from coventry. not your usa investor.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The irony is breathtaking!

Ditto Ricky Knight.

[/quote]

Only you Nutty could try to use quotes from a completly different thread to score points. Its off this subject and not relevent..............or clever!.

Putney Canary:

I thought, like others, you raised some thought provoking issues, some, I may at a push agree with, others not.

But in general, I think you paint the worse case scenario, what you fear most has to be set against success, ambition and realistic hope.

My whole arguement is based on the sad fact that I don''t believe we have any of the above things I just listed. I would like to think that jumping in bed with the devil is far more ambitious and exciting then sitting back and waiting for our demise to happen by its own accord.............and under the Stowmarket Two, I can see nothing else but relegation, 2nd and 3rd grade signings and yet more underperforming misery next season.

I wish I could share your enthusiasim, I really do. But so far, I can''t see any signs other than spin and no hope.

Sorry.

[quote user="South Norfolk Old Boy"]

In there somewhere is some sense. Delia has nailed her flag to some pretty indefensible masts in the past. Let’s look at them:

Bryan Hamilton: Delia really threw her toys out of the pram over that one. She believed that a manager who did the equivalent of buying players on eBay was good for the club. Eventually she gracelessly bowed to overwhelming pressure and let someone sack him. Just in time.

Nigel Worthington: Some will argue that the six months that she stubbornly held onto her Nigel when all around her were privately telling her to bale out has cost us the chance of a Premiership spot because, let’s face it, our best chance was this season and we blew it with an small, inadequate, largely untalented squad assembled by Nigel. Want an example of what could have been done with little cash investment had we changed to a proper manager earlier – Sunderland.

Ipswich: Her Delia saw a shining example of a club that we should try to emulate. Their clever management while in the Premiership was the way she wanted to take our club. Sheepshanks could do no wrong. Really?

Charlton: An even bigger example of where we should be as a club. Three managers in one season and about to go into financial meltdown as they have not been as prudent as we were led to believe. Maybe they have learned their lessons and will dump a few players and bounce back. But, maybe they will do a mini-Leeds. Good example for us that one.

Now we have Delia’s pronouncement on foreign investment and all those nasty non-Norfolk people wanting to get involved with our club and put loads of money into getting us into the Premiership. What does little ol’ Norwich want with all that sort of thing? Tried it once and didn’t like it… Yesterday Rick Waghorn wrote an article largely in defence of this position suggesting that a foreign investor wouldn’t sit down with supporters in Diss and explain what was (or wasn’t) happening in the club. He asked if we would really want a club where the directors didn’t listen to the fans, but simply turned it into an investment that achieved and maintained Premiership status. Ummmmm tricky one that Rick and Delia! Now let me think – cosy chat in Diss or entertaining football at the highest level? I’ll have to get back to you….

[/quote]

Psychologically, that''s about the sum of it.

Far more comfortable with little old norwich.

Good stuff, Old Boy.

OTBC

Putney Canary:

I thought, like others, you raised some thought provoking issues, some, I may at a push agree with, others not.

But in general, I think you paint the worse case scenario, what you fear most has to be set against success, ambition and realistic hope.

My whole arguement is based on the sad fact that I don''t believe we have any of the above things I just listed. I would like to think that jumping in bed with the devil is far more ambitious and exciting then sitting back and waiting for our demise to happen by its own accord.............and under the Stowmarket Two, I can see nothing else but relegation, 2nd and 3rd grade signings and yet more underperforming misery next season.

I wish I could share your enthusiasim, I really do. But so far, I can''t see any signs other than spin and no hope.

Sorry.

[/quote]

So Wiz which bits DON''T you agree with? All the points I made have happened. List the points you think are wrong, and I will provide you with evidence to show that it HAS happened.

You don''t agree - so why do you think foreign investors are currently pumping money into the game? Because they are ''nice''? 

The muppetts remain not the board but the overpaid squad members who, when they can be bothered,  can compete and beat ANY team in this league but too often simply cant be arsenalled.    How often have we seen good performances against big sides followed up with abysmal defeats to mid to lower league sides??     The squad IS good enough and chase,skipper delia, ticket sales woman or the bar staff or whoever make no odds to why the perfromances are so variable on the pitch; blaming them for this season malaise remain totally misguided.

The challenge is for Grant to get this pathetic set of players to committ to a career aimed at achieving premier status with NCFC and making the a truly competetive side week in week out,   not just when the pressure is on for a contract or a first team slot.

Until the complacency in the play staff is sorted out we could spend chelsea amounts of money and end up with Leeds amounts of acheivement.  More clubs at this level succeed because of an excellent team spirit rather than having spent the most money on the best player, although money does make things easier,  ask keegan how he got toon and citeh promoted from this league. Clearly if you can get both you are on a winner. 

That is the managers job - he has to start by ensuring that the new faces over the summer come with and keep that desire to perform and force the comfortable old guard (ie the vast vast majority of those left of last years squad) to play every week to the potential that has been shown far too infrequently.  

I''m glad you''ve pitched your hat into this debate Zipper, as I always search out your views on the PU boards. Having said that, you raise a few issues I''m not entirely happy about.

1. You seem to suggest that the fault lays somewhere between the players/manager rather than the board, to a degree I can see your point, however.................

I would counter that with saying:

a. Who appointed Grant?.

b. If they too are unhappy (and they bloody well should be!) a whisper there, a whisper here.....They should back the manager needs, with real hard cash....................and that brings us back to the original debate.

Unlike you, I believe we are well short of the standard of player, or indeed manager, needed to get out of this division, Grant is no Williams of Colchester, or better still Pardew, Grant is virtually untried.

Yes, I know Charlton got relegated, but the damage was done way before Pardew went there!.

When you have a really big investor, they tend to get the best manager available in, and he would soon ditch the dross you are concerned  about. 

But as Delia has just said,. she won''t allow that to happen!.

Unlike you, I believe we are well short of the standard of player, or indeed manager, needed to get out of this division, Grant is no Williams of Colchester, or better still Pardew, Grant is virtually untried.

Yes, I know Charlton got relegated, but the damage was done way before Pardew went there!.

When you have a really big investor, they tend to get the best manager available in, and he would soon ditch the dross you are concerned  about. 

But as Delia has just said,. she won''t allow that to happen!.

[/quote]

Actually Wiz, the stats back up your point on Pardew. Had he been in charge for the whole season at Charlton his points per game average would have been enough to see them in midtable. Dowie and Reid''s averages (over far less games) would have only ever resulted in Charlton being cast adrift on their own in 20th, with that number of points.

Personally, if Coventry''s takeover goes through I will watch both them and Leicester with great interest next season. I don''t believe either will make the playoffs next season, with or without the extra money. It takes more than a huge injection of cash to be competitive.

As for us, we can only start to judge Grant from August. Maybe he will be a Williams, rather than an Iain Dowie? Time will tell and PG deserves a little bit more of that yet.

[quote user="Grumpy "][quote user="Jarroldstander"]

Will you just shut up! 

[/quote]

So we can only discuss something with you prior approval?. Is that some form of new democracy.

[/quote]

No, you can say what you want and he can say what he wants - seems like a pretty standard type of democracy (if there is any such thing) to me.

When you actually see past 1st Wiz''s reputation for wind-ups and generally annoying the hell out of certain posters on here, he''s actually made some very good points.Delia, for all her sanctimonious pontificating about being a true supporter etc, IS holding the club back.   She certainly did more harm than good with her zealous support of Worthington (and she''s hardly had an excellent track record of appointing successful managers has she?).   Her comments about foreign investors really show up her lack of ambition for the club.   Is she really saying that if an investor (and remember Delia that football, despite everything everyone tells you, IS a business) comes in with a large cash injection in return for some sort of payout on that investment, that she would tell them where to go because "little old Norwich" isn''t that sort of place - we dun''t loike them there furriners...Why does everyone hate Chelsea now?  Because a foreign investor bought the club as his personal plaything, he''s paid out a fortune on a manager & players and they''ve "bought" they''re success.   But what do people think Abramovich was going to do?  Buy a football club and run it into the ground?   He''s a businessman - not Ken Bates!!!!I would LOVE it if Norwich could successfuly attract a major investor.   We desperately need the cash to build a winning side and I have to agree with other posters that I would absolutely hate to see City on Sky every other week, playing Premiership football and being regular challengers in Europe - that would be absolutely awful wouldn''t it.   Well it would for Delia apparently....I have to say though that Grant is a refreshing change for a manager - as long as his quotes about the team being awful and being ashamed etc don''t start wearing thin.   He''s got an awful squad to contend with and as a team, we can''t seriously hope to push for promotion next season without some really astute additions to the squad - this is where he will make or break his reputation.   I think he''s got little blame for the performances from when he took over - he inherited Worthington''s baggage, this summer he needs to make the team his own.   He really faces the music from 11th August...

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]When you actually see past 1st Wiz''s reputation for wind-ups and generally annoying the hell out of certain posters on here, he''s actually made some very good points.

[/quote]

Good grief! Plastic Scouser, I don''t know if you''ve just complimented me, or insulted me mate!.[;)]

Never mind though, in keeping with this well behaved thread (can it last I say?) your reply has raised some very vaild points.

For myself, although I''m happy to back Gant (for now!) the board, and Delia, will sacrifice him to save their own backsides from being blamed for any future failings.

I afraid to say I think Grant won''t survive here long.

And no, I don''t want that to happen, because I quite like his honest approach to the game.

excellent points well made 1st wiz

keep the flag flying mate.

you may have your work cut out with the "we are so proud of the lets be avin you incident" brigade, but i applaud your efforts.

we need investors with ambition, not small club mentalliitys.

why cant we expect to compete with bolton,wigan,pompey,blackburn,charlton,fulham,reading even birmingham derby sunderland? {i see sunderlands gates have gone from 17,000 to 43,000-glory hunters or what}

we are not glory hunters but with our fan base we can easily achieve what half the teams in the premiership ar doing.

Do we not deserve a decent club?

Completely agree with you Wiz that the choice of the manager sits entirely with the board. Like you, and I suspect the overwhelming majority of city fans, I viewed the appointment of grant as uninspirational. 

For me Grant has lived up to that tag at the moment with the positives (using youth, clearing some obvious deadwood & signing players in positions where we needed them) balancing the negatives (no improvements in results,  continued inconsistent performances,  quality of signings failing to convince, bizarre tactical decisions, failure to create a unified team). 

However ad for me only I suspect the only real mistake (currently) in appointing Grant for me was tieing him to a 3.5 yr contract for an unproven manager so committing us to an unneccessarily large compensation package as and when things dont work out.  As with players signing a name or proven performer can prove to be a costly mistake (Thorne, MLJ, Hughes, Jarrett for city) as they no longer have the drive to succeed.  Have any of the alternatives to grant mentioned at the time really stood out since?  Many have had less impact despite their reputation and accompanying salary. 

Worthy was even more uninspirational but he did get us promoted before his limitations were exposed.  On that basis I am prepared to give grant a transfer window to sort things out,  if not my irritation will be fervently voiced again and both the manager and the board.

As far as the players are concerned - we do have too many makeweights in the squad enable us to play the football I like to watch, and players who cant do the simple technical things frusrate the beejesus out of me.   However this self same set of players have shown that when their attitude is right they can compete and beat the best this league has to offer.    If that is the case how can the squad be that bad?

Very happy to agree to disagree and I know my view on this is will remain in the minority,  but thats the joy of football debate,  no one is right or wrong,  we all just view the same situation slightly differently.  Which is why I will take time to read your posts too Wiz,  because there is usually a relevance tucked away in your posts that makes me re-think my own view,  if not ultimately make me changing it. 

If only a few more posters could actively make me think about where I stand rather than try and simply score points of a disagreeing view point without adding to the debate then this board would benefit from a better mix between animosity, banter and discussion