Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Women Commentators? Monkey Tennis!!!!

Firstly I will point out that I am not sexist.

I watched MOTD and the Fulham vs Blackburn game.  I watched it with the sound on.  At first, I''ll admit it was strange listening to a female commentator on a mens football match.

I listened to the whole game, hoping that the commentary would grow on me.  It didn''t.

That was nothing to do with it being a female commentator.  If it was a male commentator who was that bad I would turn the sound off.

The commentator for that game just didn''t cut it for me, her voice didn''t follow the game, her enthusiasm seemed forced at times.  I found it very difficult watching the game whilst listening to the commentary.

There are some very good male commentators about and some awful ones.  If I am watching a live game, I normally turn the sound off and listen to the commentary on radio as it is usually better.  Channel 5 games where Jonathon Pearce is commentating are a prime example of this for me.

Some of the ex-pro''s on Sky Sports are shocking, Peter Reid the other week was terrible.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mook"]

Do you honestly think Motson, Alan Green or Jonathan Pearce have ever kicked a ball in their lives? NO!!

They''re just fat blokes with a penchant for stats. I didn''t think her commentary was any good, but it''s still a damn sight better than anything Motson has ever yelped.

With any luck, she''ll blaze a trail and we''ll get more and better quality female commentators to give the men a run for their money. I don''t see anyone complaining about Gabby Logan???

[/quote]

They may be a fat bloke with a penchant for stats but I am sure that in some stage of their lives they have probably kicked a ball about in mens football?

Yes that may have been only Sunday Morning Park Football... but even at that level you gain some knowledge of how to play the game and the physical stresses & strains that physical competitive activity against other men can place one''s body under...  Something no ''lady'' has any real idea of I''m afraid... and until they compete on an equal stage with their male counterparts then they never will have either...

Like I said if she wants to commentate then she should commentate on womens football (monkey tennis)...

As for Gabby Logan she is c**p too!!!

[/quote]I was out just this evening playing football with a mixed bunch of guys and girls.Perhaps you have some kind of valid point to make, but you just sound like an idiot when you come out with this kind of bigoted nonsense to go with it.

I mute john motson, i mute pleat and im going to mute her. To be fair i don''t particually like any of the MOTD commentary as it''s all contrived and silly like "can blackburn nick a goal?..... yes they have!!! oh my the shock!". Although your comments were perhaps out of order Smudger, she was not very good and i certainly did not enjoy the commentary and i indeed put it on mute too. On another note, Smudger maybe controversial and his post this time sexist but that does not mean he needs a barracking off everybody here, which is equally as wrong as what he said.

The bbc would be breaking the law if they discriminated against her on the basis of gender, this is 2007 not 1957 everybody gets treated equally nowadays and quite right too!

The commentry wasn''t great but lets be fair it was her first match hopefully she will improve and pave the way for more women to get involved with football.

I didn''t hear it for myself, but by all accounts it sounds like the problem was her voice rather than her ability... and there are plenty of male commentator''s voices who annoy me so much -  Motty, Lawro, Andy Gray, Clive Tyldesley, David Pleat (any of the ITV lot) and don''t even get me started on Steve Claridge!!Article from BBC though:

Our pride at Jacqui''s debut

By Niall Sloane - BBC Head of Football

Match of the Day commentator Jacqui Oatley

Jacqui is the first female commentator to appear on MOTD

The Earth didn''t shift on its axis last night. Match of the Day went

on air at 10.30pm and Manchester United''s draw with Middlesbrough led

the programme.

Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Lee Dixon presented and

discussed the issues, closing titles were run before midnight and

everyone went home.

Somewhere in there, a woman commentated on a football

match on BBC 1. In and around that, a few people lost their sense of

perspective.

Jacqui Oatley is a fine young broadcaster with a deep

love of football. Working on Five Live, the television production teams

noted her work. I spoke to her and then decided to give her a chance on

MOTD towards the end of the season.

Since regaining the rights to Saturday night highlights

nearly four years ago we have sent commentators to all the games we

cover. Previous contracts had only allowed commentary on three or four

games with the rest done as reportage at the end of the programme.

As a consequence approximately 20 commentators have now worked on the programme. Most work well, a few don''t.

Jacqui deserved a chance and she was given Fulham v

Blackburn. We put her name on our normal rota and somehow this reached

a tabloid newspaper. Cue Apocalypse.

The phone-ins revved up, the newspapers took a view, and the bloggers blogged.

Dave Bassett opined that: "Commentary is different. You

must have an understanding of the game and the tactics, and I think in

order to do that you need to have played the game." He also said: "When

she commentates at the weekend, I shall not be watching."

He believed that everyone he knew in the game, and Mrs Bassett, agreed with him.

Down the years I have played football with most of the

major football commentators in the land. If Dave meant they should have

played at the top level, then all of them are in trouble. If he meant

that a woman should be able to play as well as a man, then I suspect

Dave is in trouble.

One sportswriter felt it was an "insult" to her more

established BBC colleagues. Colleagues like Motty actually wished her

well. The Premier League (through chief executive Richard Scudamore),

Fulham manager Lawrie Sanchez and managing director David McNally, and

Blackburn chairman John Williams were intelligent, supportive and

generous.

How did she do? She did fine. As well as we thought she

would. And like a number of other commentators who start with us,

Jacqui will be given more opportunities.

If some people wish to moan while roaming the Earth

that''s OK. The programme and all its contributors consider Match of the

Day a delight and privilege to work on, and hopefully the viewers

continue to enjoy it. Perhaps last night we picked up a few new ones.

Have to agree,it was awful. But so was the sound of that bloke from Robot Wars (whatshisname). I couldnt stand the sound of him to begin with but have got use to him now. I dont think i will ever get use to her though!

Dear Smudger.

You forgot to add the issue that her commentary was 10 minutes late, as she had trouble parking her car.....[;)]

So when are you off to stand outside the BBC, to make a protest about your tv licence fees being spent on, dare I even type it, a woman giving footy commentary? Gonna take your tv back to the shop asking for a refund are you?

Still, in all seriousness, how about an updated avatar from you? Perhaps a piccy with your curly tail and chauvinistic pig ears?

I heard it, and didn''t think Jacqui Oatley''s commentary was particularly good. A bit like the standard you get on local radio. It may well have been first night nerves though, and I''m sure the BBC will coach her well enough. The BBC generally  have a good record. Gary Lineker was a bit naff when he first started as presenter. While Jonathan Pearce''s commentary is miles better now on MoTD than when he was on Channel Five, when he would use all manner of terrible cliches and puns. Alan Shearer is still dreadful as a pundit, but the BBC seem to be slowly training him to string coherent sentences together. Motty should have retired long ago though. It''s so annoying when Motty goes "That''s gone for a corner...no, it''s a throw-in....ah, sorry, the linesman has flagged for a foul". Then Mark Lawrenson has to intervene and tell him it was offside.

i think she must of been nervous too lets not forget.. im sure she will get another chance, will be less nervous and after a while we will hardly notice her...

the Beeb should never of got rid of Barry Davis mind u... but i dont see the problem in a woman commentator and good luck to her...

i knew a girl when i was younger who was probably the best footballer i have ever seen... We used to have this lad live on our street who was a youth defender with Norwich he would skin us all with the ball but as soon as this girl appeared he couldnt get anywhere near the ball.. she would do step overs, drag backs, nut megs, flick the ball with her heel over the lads head and nip roudn the other side to get it before he could.. she had quick feet and a good footballing brain.. when playing at the park or in the streets shed dribble the ball.. stop...do a few keep ups and if anyone came near her she''d drubble the ball again and skin them!

she''d run rings round smudger...  but i have a feeling he''d go home crying because he lost to a "girl"

she was better than a lot of male footballers i have seen.

jas :)

Smudger, If you don''t like women in your sport have you considered

changing allegience to Ice Hockey (where causing the death of a

competitor is about the only offense worthy of a sin binning) or

Austrailian (lack of) Rules Football? 

Because there are alot of women in football, some of them even have premiership winners medals.

Her voice was fine by me but her inability to pronounce the names of half the players properly, especially Papa Bouba Diop (shudder) and her random raises in voice for no apparent reason were one of many problems that jump to my mind.

[quote user="djcat"]

Dear Smudger.

You forgot to add the issue that her commentary was 10 minutes late, as she had trouble parking her car.....[;)]

So when are you off to stand outside the BBC, to make a protest about your tv licence fees being spent on, dare I even type it, a woman giving footy commentary? Gonna take your tv back to the shop asking for a refund are you?

Still, in all seriousness, how about an updated avatar from you? Perhaps a piccy with your curly tail and chauvinistic pig ears?

[/quote]

Hmm........Nuf said

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the Beeb should never of got rid of Barry Davis mind u...

[/quote]Now there was a true legend... I think he retired with dignity rather than being forced out though. He still does one-off events from time to time... including Wimbledon last year.

[quote user="Fellas"]Her voice was fine by me but her inability to pronounce the names of half the players properly, especially Papa Bouba Diop (shudder) and her random raises in voice for no apparent reason were one of many problems that jump to my mind.[/quote]I think you''re confusing her with Motty, there........

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Firstly I will point out that I am not sexist.

I watched MOTD and the Fulham vs Blackburn game.  I watched it with the sound on.  At first, I''ll admit it was strange listening to a female commentator on a mens football match.

I listened to the whole game, hoping that the commentary would grow on me.  It didn''t.

That was nothing to do with it being a female commentator.  If it was a male commentator who was that bad I would turn the sound off.

The commentator for that game just didn''t cut it for me, her voice didn''t follow the game, her enthusiasm seemed forced at times.  I found it very difficult watching the game whilst listening to the commentary.

There are some very good male commentators about and some awful ones.  If I am watching a live game, I normally turn the sound off and listen to the commentary on radio as it is usually better.  Channel 5 games where Jonathon Pearce is commentating are a prime example of this for me.

Some of the ex-pro''s on Sky Sports are shocking, Peter Reid the other week was terrible.

[/quote]Agreed. In situations like this you can only go on the ability of the person in question to do the job, whatever their colour, sex, creed, number of legs etc etc. For me, her voice grates. Badly. It always has done on the radio and the tv was no different. But if she opens the doors to other female commentators who are better, she will at least have facilitated that. And also, she may get better. Do you remember the first time you saw Gary Lineker present a sports programme - truly cringeworthy, on every level. No he''s an absolute natural who could achieve Des-like status in years to come!

djcat wrote You forgot to add the issue that her commentary was 10 minutes late, as she had trouble parking her car.....Wink [;)]

Ricardo wrote "Hmm........Nuf said"

Hey, come on Ricardo..... the wink at the end was sufficient wasnt it to put across a joke? Dont drag me down into the Bigoted views and opinions....

[quote user="Ark"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Now there was a true legend... I think he retired with dignity rather than being forced out though. He still does one-off events from time to time... including Wimbledon last year.
[/quote]

remember his commenatry of Dennis Bergkamps winner over the Argies in 98?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Ark"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Now there was a true legend... I think he retired with dignity rather than being forced out though. He still does one-off events from time to time... including Wimbledon last year.[/quote]

[/quote]Not specifically... But apparently he did once say: "The Dutch fans look like a huge jar of marmalade."He had/has an unrivalled ability to fill a commentary box... Somehow doing the job of commentator and co-commentor all roled into one! (although, I guess a co-commentator can be more of a burden than a lift in some cases... David Pleat and Mark Lawrenson come instantly come to mind...)

[quote user="Ark"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Ark"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Now there was a true legend... I think he retired with dignity rather than being forced out though. He still does one-off events from time to time... including Wimbledon last year.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not specifically... But apparently he did once say: "The Dutch fans look like a huge jar of marmalade."

He had/has an unrivalled ability to fill a commentary box... Somehow doing the job of commentator and co-commentor all roled into one! (although, I guess a co-commentator can be more of a burden than a lift in some cases... David Pleat and Mark Lawrenson come instantly come to mind...)
[/quote]

Lets not forget his comments when the UK won the Hockey final in seol 88.. "where were the Germans... and quite Frankly.. who cares?!"

Legend!

bring him out for the cup final BBC!

"Long ball from Frank de Boer seeking out Dennis Bergkamp...Oh that''s brilliant! Oh that''s wonderful! That is a magnificent goal and it has taken Holland into the next round for sure!"

Other gems were "He''s not going to have a go from there...he is you know!" as Gazza scored his free kick in the ''91 Cup Final and "Italy lost because they will not learn" after they went out of the World Cup in ''02.

Probably my favourite ever commentator, kept his commentary simple and knew when and how to use silence in his commentary. Motson and Lawrenson must be the worst pairing the Beeb have, Motson having gone downhill since his non-stop breakfast mentions in the ''02 World Cup and Lawrenson just being irritating!

Quite like Gubba and Brackley too, and I reckon people will get used to Jacqui Oatley - she just needs to get used to letting the pictures do some of the talking, although that''s a usual ''complaint'' of radio commentators that move to television...it''s just a case of them adjusting too.

I had the dubious pleasure of listening to Waller commentating on the Ipswich game and twice he said E-tu-tu scored which is typical of his commentary and I do hate the excitement in his voice when the opposition score.

There are several commentators who''s voices grate on television and the best are to be found on the radio where recently there was a female commentator too.

I am not fond of ladies presenting football programmes - like Gabby Logan - or as commentators, however, I don''t much care for the ''stiffs'' trotted out on MOTD either. MOTD 2 is much more to my liking as it has the ''blokes in a pub'' air to it, infact, why isn''t this theme built on?

I have heard some excellent female reporters on radio and read them in newspapers so knowledge is clearly not an issue...it must just be a gender thing. I struggle to cope with the female voice on my satnav too (whenever did a woman know how to give directions? It''s not a natural thing :-)

So, mixed views here from me but as an advocate of equality I would like to see everyone have their chance with the proviso that the women shouldn''t try to copy the hystrionics of the men as a high pitched female shout just causes primeval alarm in us chaps; instead the ladies should try the cool impassioned approach which is not only sexy but also has served numerous forces and services well as radio operators and which comes across as pretty classy.

Finally, I am very fond of women in general but wonder if some commentators on this subject simply reflect personal issues.

Oh dear, this poor new commentator who just happens to be a woman. Now how can this happen, the BBC must be off their heads letting a mere woman lose with a mic....whatever next, men having babies perhaps.....

Get a life Cluck and Smudger....if she can see she can commentate.  So she''s a woman, so what?

I don''t believe half of the Radio Five crew ever played pro football, but they manage somehow...

It''s a shame for you two I know, but life has moved on beyond the 50s.  Women have managed somehow to venture from the kitchen to do almost as well as men at jobs previously not open to them.  I should know, I have managed to do traditional "men''s work" for years and now work in a typically male environment.  No complaints cos I can do the task as well as any man. 

Get over yourselves, get a life and try to enjoy it while you can....

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Oh dear, this poor new commentator who just happens to be a woman. Now how can this happen, the BBC must be off their heads letting a mere woman lose with a mic....whatever next, men having babies perhaps.....

Get a life Cluck and Smudger....if she can see she can commentate.  So she''s a woman, so what?

I don''t believe half of the Radio Five crew ever played pro football, but they manage somehow...

It''s a shame for you two I know, but life has moved on beyond the 50s.  Women have managed somehow to venture from the kitchen to do almost as well as men at jobs previously not open to them.  I should know, I have managed to do traditional "men''s work" for years and now work in a typically male environment.  No complaints cos I can do the task as well as any man. 

Get over yourselves, get a life and try to enjoy it while you can....

[/quote]

I too have balanced "mens work" with "womans work" before even became fashionable....so I think I have perfect grounds to pass opinion on the matter. I know what I can do best as a male...and I am aware that women are better at many things than me....but we are "not" the same and should never pretend that we are. It is like many things in life where the quest for "equality" becomes a quest for "supremacy"...and once the happy balance is lost one side of the dimension becomes more "equal" than the other.

The fact remains that in some avenues of life...in particular men''s sport,  there is no room for women doing what is now their traditional attempt to displace men on "discrimination" grounds. Same old politically correct garbage where "rights" come before ability. I''ve long promoted equality in the home and within my business...but I will never accept subservience...the aim of the feminists who want it all.

No lectures thanks...as my opinion is every bit as valid as yours.  A close look at the disintegration of family life in this country today might well provide evidence that one-sex adults do not make for a happier world.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i think she must of been nervous too lets not forget.. im sure she will get another chance, will be less nervous and after a while we will hardly notice her...

the Beeb should never of got rid of Barry Davis mind u... but i dont see the problem in a woman commentator and good luck to her...

i knew a girl when i was younger who was probably the best footballer i have ever seen... We used to have this lad live on our street who was a youth defender with Norwich he would skin us all with the ball but as soon as this girl appeared he couldnt get anywhere near the ball.. she would do step overs, drag backs, nut megs, flick the ball with her heel over the lads head and nip roudn the other side to get it before he could.. she had quick feet and a good footballing brain.. when playing at the park or in the streets shed dribble the ball.. stop...do a few keep ups and if anyone came near her she''d drubble the ball again and skin them!

she''d run rings round smudger...  but i have a feeling he''d go home crying because he lost to a "girl"

[/quote]

No girl would run rings around me... and if one did you JAS then you must be as c**p at playing the game as your knowledge of building a successful team is also???

Pick any woman from the ladies England team and I can asure you that even in the unfit state I am in today that she would not be able to dribble the ball around me.  A lot of ladies have good technical ability I will give you that... but to take the ball around me you also need experience, excessive pace and strength as well... Ladies are just not capable of that I am afraid...  Maybe in another 10 years or so (when my legs have completely gone).

She was given the job as a Politically Correct PR Stunt from the BBC that will backfire on them...

As most of the views have pointed out on here... she was useless...

She only got the job because she is a lady, has got blonde hair & a sexy smile...  and Gary Lineker is probably giving her one (the dirty rascal) [;)]

[quote user="7rew"]Smudger, If you don''t like women in your sport have you considered changing allegience to Ice Hockey (where causing the death of a competitor is about the only offense worthy of a sin binning) or Austrailian (lack of) Rules Football? 

Because there are alot of women in football, some of them even have premiership winners medals.
[/quote]

Name one then...

I for one have never seen a lady play in a mans game of football ever... and nor should we ever see this short of a kick about in the park...

The day we do then PC will have gon TOTALLY CRAZY and the game of football would become a total mockery!!!

[quote user="Ark"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Ark"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not specifically... But apparently he did once say: "The Dutch fans look like a huge jar of marmalade."

He had/has an unrivalled ability to fill a commentary box... Somehow doing the job of commentator and co-commentor all roled into one! (although, I guess a co-commentator can be more of a burden than a lift in some cases... David Pleat and Mark Lawrenson come instantly come to mind...)
[/quote]

Agree that Pleat and Trevor Francis have to be amongst the worst co-commentators...

What was the infamous pleat line in the Liverpool v Arsenal (Fever Pitch) match from 1989 where Colin Firth and the other guy in the film turn around and shout "oh shut up Pleat"???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

No girl would run rings around me... and if one did you JAS then you must be as c**p at playing the game as your knowledge of building a successful team is also???

Pick any woman from the ladies England team and I can asure you that even in the unfit state I am in today that she would not be able to dribble the ball around me.  A lot of ladies have good technical ability I will give you that... but to take the ball around me you also need experience, excessive pace and strength as well... Ladies are just not capable of that I am afraid...  Maybe in another 10 years or so (when my legs have completely gone).

She was given the job as a Politically Correct PR Stunt from the BBC that will backfire on them...

As most of the views have pointed out on here... she was useless...

She only got the job because she is a lady, has got blonde hair & a sexy smile...  and Gary Lineker is probably giving her one (the dirty rascal) [;)]

[/quote]

yeh.. because your Fabio Cannavaro arent u Smudger?

so your saying that woman who plays internationally wont be faster than you??? maybe not but if shes got the skill u will not win the ball! im a goalkeeper so im no outfield player, but im willing to bet i could outpace you smudger. and why would u need experiance to take the ball past you? are you a world class defender? no.. are you a coach?? no.. you have played pub football for some tin pot sides... and yet someone who plays at a higher level cant take the ball past u!?

god u talk some bollox mate!

my knowledge of building a succesful team is based on what i see.. not what i THINK is happening.... how can you have an opinion on the club when u rely on Roy Waller who cant tell his backside from his glasses sometimes and Neil Adams who has sat on more Fences than B and Q make in a year!

Smudger the Fudger... talking crap since 2007.