Sign in to follow this  
Cluck

Come Delia.......Let's be 'avin ya........

Sorry guys.......but all I can read on here is Peter Grant getting slagged off. He came here totally inexperienced and as an unknown quantity....then given a massive pile of crap to play with. I don''t rate him and never did, but why shoot the messenger?  All of this should not be laid solely at his door.

This whole shambles lies firmly in the lap of Delia Smith and her cronies who have finally brought this club down to it''s knees. There were calls for optimism and demands for more ambition  from some posters........but this is the reality of Norwich City 2006. We are a mess. You (we) all deserve better.

Any defence for Delia is now past. PG has been dumped on.... No doubt he was made to retain the inept backroom staff he inherited..........and so are we going to get yet another year of spin and tripe....transfer window or no.

Having said all that......what can we plebs do about it?.......Are we game for yet another miserable period of protesting......or do we go down on the ''Good Ship Delia'' shaking our heads?

Too true Cluckin...

Another shambles and many more to come by the looks of things my friend...

Two or 3 weeks under Granty and not a thing has changed...  one keeper in on loan (and he is now banned for 3 matches)

The reasons for this?

Delia & Doomcaster and Co have probably told Granty that he can offer any new recuits two pints of Shandy and a Packet of Pork Scratchings as wages...  it is an utter disgrace after the crap City fans have had to put up with from the majority of the current playing staff that 3 class loan signings were not brought in during his 1st week in charge...

We needed the spine of the team strengthening immediately...  new Centre Back, Centre Midfielder and BIG Striker (not in the Dion Dublin Zimmer frame model).

If Delia no longer has any funds to offer then she should put her and Michael''s Shares up for sale first thing on Monday morning!!!

You and I both know things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better though!  

I went today.......and the only positive was that I don''t live there........

We were absolute sewage......

Anyway, enough of my detailed report of today''s game.

I have more faith in politicians - than I have in our board at this moment in time.

Sack the ''bored''.......Strength in Depth?........or..........Strength in Debt!

A 37 years young, ''lone'' Centre Forward? Is it ambition from the board or, attrition from the board.

I''m off to bed.......It''s been a long and...........ZZZzzzzzz.........[|-)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

Delia & Doomcaster and Co have probably told Granty that he can offer any new recuits two pints of Shandy and a Packet of Pork Scratchings as wages...  it is an utter disgrace after the crap City fans have had to put up with from the majority of the current playing staff that 3 class loan signings were not brought in during his 1st week in charge...

[/quote]

Three in one week! Wow! Who would they be? You must have an idea as you sem to think its very easy.

I don''t think the board have covered themselves in much glory in the past 18 months or so....but does anyone have any better ideas? You cannot doubt Delia''s financial commitment to the club...but name me another City supporter with the same financial clout who would want to do the job. The board''s only crime really was to back Worthington for far too long.

Money was made available...we bought Huckerby, Ashton and Earnie so big money was there, it''s just the way it''s been spent that is so poor.

The squad has too much of a ''losing'' culture about it and has done since we lost to Fulham that day. That is what needs to be changed and the only way to do it is to change the playing staff.

The Board are partly to blame certainly since they wasted the Premiership Gravy Train money, but they didn''t sign these players, up to a point they gave the previous manager more financial muscle than ever before.

He wasted it, the Board will not own up to its mistakes and I don''t expect they will take their share of the blame. 

The Board are partly to blame certainly since they wasted the Premiership Gravy Train money, but they didn''t sign these players, up to a point they gave the previous manager more financial muscle than ever before.

He wasted it, the Board will not own up to its mistakes and I don''t expect they will take their share of the blame. 

This is so melodramatic its untrue. He went back on his word, ignored the youngsters we have available and picked a crazy starting eleven. As a result I hope he has learned a lesson the hard way. Don''t panic [:)]

[quote user="cluck"]

Sorry guys.......but all I can read on here is Peter Grant getting slagged off. He came here totally inexperienced and as an unknown quantity....then given a massive pile of crap to play with. I don''t rate him and never did, but why shoot the messenger?  All of this should not be laid solely at his door.

This whole shambles lies firmly in the lap of Delia Smith and her cronies who have finally brought this club down to it''s knees. There were calls for optimism and demands for more ambition  from some posters........but this is the reality of Norwich City 2006. We are a mess. You (we) all deserve better.

Any defence for Delia is now past. PG has been dumped on.... No doubt he was made to retain the inept backroom staff he inherited..........and so are we going to get yet another year of spin and tripe....transfer window or no.

Having said all that......what can we plebs do about it?.......Are we game for yet another miserable period of protesting......or do we go down on the ''Good Ship Delia'' shaking our heads?

[/quote]

Some of the posts on here begger belief and this is one of the best [:@]

The players play, the manager picks the team and decides which players to buy and sell, whilst the Board run the club.

To suggest Delia, or any of the Board, are accountable for the pile of cr*p our team served up today is complete nonsense. 

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="cluck"]

[/quote]

The players play, the manager picks the team and decides which players to buy and sell, whilst the Board run the club.

To suggest Delia, or any of the Board, are accountable for the pile of cr*p our team served up today is complete nonsense. 

[/quote]

Ahem.  Who was it signed a completely untried manager on a 3 1/2 year contract?  Even if he turns out to be the next Martin O''Neill, it''s not exactly prudent is it? 

Gazza, the board are good enough at avoiding responsibility as it is.  They don''t need any help. 

Yesterday''s game was a symptom of a much more fundamental problem that goes beyond who the manager happens to be.  What will it take for some of our fans to WAKE UP! 

Someone else posted "Can you name another Norwich fan with enough financial clout?" as a reason not to criticise Delia & Co.  No of course I can''t, I don''t know those sort of people.  That doesn''t mean they don''t exist.  Take the legendary "Diss-based businessman" as an example.  He was willing and able to put his hand in his pocket to bring Hucks here and keep him here.  It doesn''t need to be a single individual, it could be a consortium.   

Any other set of fans would send a message to the board by voting with their feet.  The decision of most of our fans not to do that is an example of seriously misplaced loyalty imo.  What has it achieved?  More money for players, or a multimillion pound proposal to expand the City Stand?  Sorry folks, you''ve become part of the problem.

You don''t like what I say?  So what would you prefer, a painful truth or a comfortable lie? 

The simple fact is this.....

Clubs with a fraction of our support, with no parachute money, no recent history of acheivement and probably inferior sponsor and other incomes are attracting better players than we are and holding much larger, better equipped squads.

This is what I need to understand: how can this be so?

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="cluck"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you''re saying Worthington had a free hand when buying players?  Of course the board are responsible and if you can''t see the bigger picture then it explains why the club is in such a state.

Delia gave the job to Peter Grant. Who else is resonsible for that? He was hired before he was fired and to expect miracles from him is crazy. He was...as has been said before the cheap option and smarmed his way into Delias bosom by such sweeping comments as "cometh the hour...cometh the man".......Bullsh*t...utter bullsh*t.

The board has had an easy ride over the years because of the protective shield placed around it by ''grateful'' supporters like you. Yes she bought the club....but she didn''t save it. In 10 years what has this board achieved?  Not very much....other than a personal empire for Delias culinary expertise.

I just don''t get it........why blame poor players bought under the control of Delia Smith for the shambles? Footy on the cheap and endless spin to make it appear everybody else''s fault except theirs.

This Board WILL take us down before admitting defeat.........Delia will then sell up and we (the fans) will be left to pick up the pieces.

Some people have very short memories, the club wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for Delia putting her own money into the club over and over again.

Rudloph asks: "Clubs with a fraction of our support, with no parachute money, no recent history of acheivement and probably inferior sponsor and other incomes are attracting better players than we are and holding much larger, better equipped squads. This is what I need to understand: how can this be so?"

Rudolph, America, where the poulation at large will consume almost anything if a selling price is stamped on it, will consume pop rather than water at an alarming rate even though obesity reigns supreme, will excessively hand money over to evangelists believing it will save their souls, will drive their children in gas-guzzling SUV''s 50 yards to the school bus rather than have the poor little mites build their leg muscles, where the land of the free is really the land of those in debt, where you can place your worthless junk at the end of your driveway with a "For Sale" sign on it and countless cars will turn up to buy it, yes, even in America, I think there would be more than just a few asking the same question as you are asking. What will it take to get an answer?

P.s. You said you are shortly on your way to JFK but only for 6 hours. Are you then flying directly back to the UK? I''ve done that kind of a turnaround a number of times. Didn''t like it one bit. Or are you flying on further in this direction?

Cluck, did I say Worthy had a free hand when buying players? No, I didn''t.

Yes, the Board do set the budget, and I, for one, don''t know what it is, although we have been told that it''s bigger now than when we got promoted to the Premiership.

But the crucial point here is, the manager, not the Board, chooses which players he wants and targets to buy. So to suggest that Delia does this, rather than the manager, is complete nonsense.

[quote user="Two Tails"]Some people have very short memories, the club wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for Delia putting her own money into the club over and over again.
[/quote]

And your point is . . .?

Some people have very short memories, the club wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for Delia putting her own money into the club over and over again.

I am fed up with this statement.  You name me a club that has gone bust over the last 12 years the size of Norwich.  Someone else would have stepped in.. I am grateful to Delia that she was the one, but we cannot hold her on a pedastal forever!

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

Cluck, did I say Worthy had a free hand when buying players? No, I didn''t.

Yes, the Board do set the budget, and I, for one, don''t know what it is, although we have been told that it''s bigger now than when we got promoted to the Premiership.

But the crucial point here is, the manager, not the Board, chooses which players he wants and targets to buy. So to suggest that Delia does this, rather than the manager, is complete nonsense.

[/quote]

As I recall, during his time here the previous manager targeted quite a number of players who never made it through the CR negotiating process.  According to ND (he was explaining why we did not need to worry about bungs) the manager was not involved in that process in any way.

[quote user="gazban"]

I am fed up with this statement.  You name me a club that has gone bust over the last 12 years the size of Norwich.  Someone else would have stepped in.. I am grateful to Delia that she was the one, but we cannot hold her on a pedastal forever!

[/quote]It makes no difference if you like the statement or not, its a fact. We are no longer having to rely on selling players to stop us going out of business as was the way in the chase era.

I honestly feel we are getting to the root of the issue in this thread.

For far too long now this Board has side stepped genuine concerns regarding direction by claiming Delia Smith ''saved'' this club from extinction.  What utter bo**ocks.....but sadly so many of us have continued to suck this rubbish in. Delia Smith has been given the chance most of us would give our right arm for......the opportunity to take forward the football club we support. Please spare me the emotional truck about her being the difference between the life and death of Norwich City...because if it hadn''t been her, another person would have readily stepped in. The fact that she is a fan means nothing.....it''s what she does having been given the chance. I doubt if Milan Mandaric had even heard of Portsmouth before taking them on....and look at them now.

Please study which part of this club has received lavash attention so far.......I guess the team wouldn''t be top of the list! I have nothing personal against DS.......but try to look beyond the hapless new manager. You can''t blame years of prudence on a bloke who has been here a few days.......nor dump it on Nigel Worthington who did the best he could given his circumstances.

It''s time to look past the smokescreen put up by the DS/CR spin-machine and see things as they really are....As has been stated before.......it''s not HER club that is in turmoil.....it is OURS.

Returning via JFK on an internal flight then on to London, Yankee. It''s a difficult week to get UK flights as you probably know.

I fully expect to be rather tired after the experience.

MMMMM, let me think what did we achieve in the chase era. Quite a lot actually! A lot more than the Delia era and we probably owe the same  now as we did then?

And a CLASSIC example of the below is STOKE !  How on earth have a team getting vastly inferior attendances, with no money other than the bog standard league money getting half a dozen players that City fans would kill for right now?  And Saturday showed the gulf in class between the dross we own in half our squad, compared to supposedly ''inferior'' teams.  The club is now not competitive within the Championship, and is on the verge of sinking down the League One plughole if it has a poor run through to the new year.

Grant (IMHO) is not experienced enough and should never had been appointed over other more experienced men at such a crucial time.  Saturdays bizarre selection would suggest he is either lost, truly believes the players are better than they really are, or is a nut case.

However, the buck stops with the under investment at Board level...

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]The simple fact is this..... Clubs with a fraction of our support, with no parachute money, no recent history of acheivement and probably inferior sponsor and other incomes are attracting better players than we are and holding much larger, better equipped squads. This is what I need to understand: how can this be so?[/quote]

You will find that the restaurant actually makes money for the club, not costs it money.

And the point re: NW doing the best he could in the circumstances is utter b***cks...How many times did we hear him say he would only bring in players who were better than what we already had? Meantime other smaller clubs went ahead and signed these better players while he fannied around with loan deals and then proceeded NOT to play the loan players he had signed!

Quite often he sold half decent players and replaced them with worse or didn''t bother replacing them at all. McKenzie, Mackay  and Jonson immediately spring to mind!

Look at Cardiff and Luton and Reading! They have both signed either players from lower leagues or Prem players who were unable to get in their team who were in a lot of cases better than what he have now!

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]The simple fact is this..... Clubs with a fraction of our support, with no parachute money, no recent history of acheivement and probably inferior sponsor and other incomes are attracting better players than we are and holding much larger, better equipped squads. This is what I need to understand: how can this be so?[/quote]

The nails been wacked Hucker   !    like ..... what kind of crap  is the club  employing as scouts ?   they couldn`t track down a kids tea party in Harrods  toy department !     Stoke  can , and did , find   loans like Hendrie and Diao  ,  awesome !  ......    what do we get ?  Dublin  , a , well past it,  forward , and Ashdown , a keeper that gets sent off  , give me strength [:''(]

So the restaurant actually makes money for the club, does it whoareyou?

Are you referring to Delia''s recent statement that annual turnover has reached nearly £4m?  Turnover is irrelevant if it''s not making a profit.

As a shareholder I''ve been trying since 15th September to get the board to disclose (via the Annual Report) how much the restaurant actually did make for the club last year.  They wrote back informing me that they have "no plans" to do so.  I repeated my request, but have had no further response of any kind as yet.

So whoareyou? you must have inside knowledge if you know that the restaurant is making money for the club.  Please do share it and save me buying any more stamps . . .

"No plans...........to tell the fans"........

"Maybe it''s that the profit''s spent on pans, to make the flans, that feeds the Fancy Dans".........At Delia plc Carrow Rd.......

What is the first priority - food or football?[^o)]

Why else would anyone run any part of any business unless it is making a profit?

Too many of you are far to cynical and always have to look on the black and negative side? Loosen up a bit...life is too short to spend all of it moaning...try taking some Prozac![;)]

I hate losing as much as the next guy but it''s part of football and being a supporter!

Very patronising indeed ''whoareyou''....

Would you have a shed full of dummies sitting on their hands watching the ship go down? Time for people like you to wake up and open your eyes. Blind faith in the Board isn''t going to get us anywhere......and 10 years is long enough for many of us thank you very much.

Try not to confuse genuine concern with moaning.....there is a big difference. No one minds losing.....if only there were some light at the end of this very long tunnel.

I am not patronising anyone......but the new manager has had four games in charge.........with the greatest talent and will in the world, even Mourinho could not turn our bunch of underachieveing, disorganised rabble into a team of winners straight away.

Who in their right mind would want to take over from our board at the moment? Where would the money come from?

Sometimes you have to be patient and give the new manager a chance. If the board have got this one wrong too then yes, lets look to have a change at the highest level. You only have to look at what is happening at Hearts to see the grass is not always greener!