Sign in to follow this  
mnc

Dark times at Carrow Road

No matter what everyone''s opinion of Worthington, I don''t see how the crowds reaction today during the game helped the team at all.  Many people around me just seemed to be waiting for the first mistake to be able to direct abuse at not only the manager but the players too. It only helped Burnley to gain confidence and our team to lose it and to see Norwich fans celebrating each Burnley goal was a sad affair.  The board haven''t helped matters by issuing the statement they did or at least the wording of it because now it''s a no win situation for Nigel and a lot of pressure on the team.  I agree the perfomances lately have been poor and something needs to be done but booing and shouting abuse at management and players during a game is something I could never do. I feel quite sorry for Nigel because he has achieved a lot with Norwich and is a decent bloke. I''m not sure anyone deserves humiliation like that especially in front of the tv cameras - he deserves credit for coming out and facing the press afterwards.  Whatever the outcome I just hope we can find that "togetherness" again between board, management, players and fans that made us the envy of so many other clubs.

I think we saw the depth of feeling against Worthy displayed for all to see today.All those who kidded themselves that the WO''s were in the minority must have been stunned.At least he''s gone.New start. New future.

Yes he''s gone but the players are still here, and they won''t forget that in a hurry.  I noticed Earnie didn''t celebrate his goal.

"Togetherness" is one of those meaningless terms like "prudence with ambition" that belongs in the dustbin.

I''m relieved that a decision of some sort has been made at last, disgusted by the way the board have handled it, and not very optimistic about the future.  Make that not at all optimistic.

Just look at what Martin O''Neil has done at Villa with the same group of players; heres hoping we can bring in someone who can lead and inspire, rather than make do with motivational poters. Look to the future. not the past, NCFC will always be here, and if we can all pull in the same dirextion, we can move mountains.

OTBC 4 EVER

well, mystic, "not optimistic" is exactly how most of us have been feeling all season, and last season, and the season before that.

Dark days indeed, and they have been for some time.  There is a lot going on behind the scenes most of us will never realise.  Why issue a statement of intent and why wait until after Plymouth?  As the board witness firsthand most games, was it not painfully obvious to them that things were going down the pan over a year ago, even back to the Premiership season?  Oh well, let''s keep faith in Nigel - he got us promoted....and so on.

Yes the crowd were frustrated, and a lot of them have felt that for some time.  Especially in those wonderful away perfomances, too many to mention.  Just how much can an average supporter take?  One, two, six, twenty or more passionless games, games when the team don''t turn up, the manager just stands there unable to motivate or change things.  How much are we suppposed to take?

Like you, MNC, I found I was unable to boo, call for Worthy out during the game, it''s just not me, however, I can fully understand those that did so.  Mr Worthington should have gone at least a year ago, and that''s me being kind.  We failed last season, and he had money, time etc to build a big enough squad full of motivated players, he''s had time, resources etc, most managers are not given those precious advantages. 

The board were wrong in making a public statement in the way they did.  Better to keep it behind closed doors.  They must have surely had the foresight to realise they were going to get the reaction from the crowd which resulted today. Protests before the game, sure, but not all were witness to them.  During the game we all were, as were the board and the players. 

Did the players care?  Well if you are brutally honest did they?  For me only Huckerby really put his heart and soul into it, and he''s not even fit.  Do they actually understand the deal, you play with pride and passion for our shirt and in return we will support you, encourage you, idolise you and sing for you (and about you).  But stroll around, not a care in the world and collect a cool few thousand each week, and we might just have a few things to say. 

In truth, the death throes went on far too long, and a public hanging resulted.  Just where we go from here is the responsibility of the board.  But one thing I do hope, the new manager is NOT a friend of the board or anyone on it, and is NOT connected to this club.  As nice as it would be to have the likes of Iwan, Malky, Mark Bowen back here, we need fresh blood and we need it fast.  Also, a major clear out, starting with Livermore and Webb.  (If you think the first team are badly coached, try watching the reserves!).

[quote user="mnc"]No matter what everyone''s opinion of Worthington, I don''t see how the crowds reaction today during the game helped the team at all.  Many people around me just seemed to be waiting for the first mistake to be able to direct abuse at not only the manager but the players too. It only helped Burnley to gain confidence and our team to lose it and to see Norwich fans celebrating each Burnley goal was a sad affair.  The board haven''t helped matters by issuing the statement they did or at least the wording of it because now it''s a no win situation for Nigel and a lot of pressure on the team.  I agree the perfomances lately have been poor and something needs to be done but booing and shouting abuse at management and players during a game is something I could never do. I feel quite sorry for Nigel because he has achieved a lot with Norwich and is a decent bloke. I''m not sure anyone deserves humiliation like that especially in front of the tv cameras - he deserves credit for coming out and facing the press afterwards.  Whatever the outcome I just hope we can find that "togetherness" again between board, management, players and fans that made us the envy of so many other clubs.[/quote]

I agree with that post. Todays game did leave me feeling rather ashamed of our so called fans. Although I am aware of the problems at the club I don''t think other football onlookers are, and they seemed disgusted by the reaction today, I can understand that too. It seemed like the behaviour of spoilt kids and I hope the players can try to put it in the back of their minds and pick themsleves up. Now is a time when we really need to rally round and support our team and that means through the bad times and good times and those inbetween.

i though overall the crowd was fair.  they certainly didn''t get on the players backs from the off - sure they were subdued, but to be fair, most of the action was in the city half.  after the second goal, the crowd reacted badly against worthy, but what do people really expect from a game played in surreal circumstances?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

The board were wrong in making a public statement in the way they did.  Better to keep it behind closed doors.  They must have surely had the foresight to realise they were going to get the reaction from the crowd which resulted today. Protests before the game, sure, but not all were witness to them.  During the game we all were, as were the board and the players. 

Did the players care?  Well if you are brutally honest did they?  For me only Huckerby really put his heart and soul into it, and he''s not even fit.  Do they actually understand the deal, you play with pride and passion for our shirt and in return we will support you, encourage you, idolise you and sing for you (and about you).  But stroll around, not a care in the world and collect a cool few thousand each week, and we might just have a few things to say. 

In truth, the death throes went on far too long, and a public hanging resulted.  Just where we go from here is the responsibility of the board.  But one thing I do hope, the new manager is NOT a friend of the board or anyone on it, and is NOT connected to this club.  As nice as it would be to have the likes of Iwan, Malky, Mark Bowen back here, we need fresh blood and we need it fast.  Also, a major clear out, starting with Livermore and Webb.  (If you think the first team are badly coached, try watching the reserves!).

[/quote]

Good post.

The players stank today.  Time and time again they have backed the manager and time and time again they have turned in dreadful performances.  The team made it easy for the board today and made it easier for the fans.  Protests weren''t really needed after the game - the players had signed Worthy''s death warrant anyway.

Worthy should have gone last week.  In fact he should have gone a long time ago.  The board hung him out to dry this week, and however much I wanted him to go, I think the board handled it abysmally.  I am worried about the future of this club under the current regime unless they learn some very serious lessons.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind......

I was sad to see Ernies face after scoring and he deserved better perhaps.....but the intense show of feelings by the fans was not just deliberate unrest........it was hurt passion.......unecessarily brought about by a weak board.

We have no need to feel ashamed or worried. It HAD to be done...........

Dark times at Carrow Road.

Why is that then? Can''t we afford the floodlight bill?

Maybe the lecky bill will be kept on hold till Nigel''s had his pay-off?

Until then, supporters are requested to bring their Zippo lighters to evening games - and give those performing on the pitch that ''Rock Stadia'' atmosphere...........

Do not fear all! There is light at the end of the tunnel..........it''s approaching at 95mph and is hauling 15 carriages.......Toot! Toot!

[quote user="just-cluckin"]

I was sad to see Ernies face after scoring and he deserved better perhaps.....but the intense show of feelings by the fans was not just deliberate unrest........it was hurt passion.......unecessarily brought about by a weak board.

[/quote]

Yes and we should have done it earlier. We must remember this and not let the board of.

[quote user="Marty"]

[quote user="mnc"]No matter what everyone''s opinion of Worthington, I don''t see how the crowds reaction today during the game helped the team at all.  Many people around me just seemed to be waiting for the first mistake to be able to direct abuse at not only the manager but the players too. It only helped Burnley to gain confidence and our team to lose it and to see Norwich fans celebrating each Burnley goal was a sad affair.  The board haven''t helped matters by issuing the statement they did or at least the wording of it because now it''s a no win situation for Nigel and a lot of pressure on the team.  I agree the perfomances lately have been poor and something needs to be done but booing and shouting abuse at management and players during a game is something I could never do. I feel quite sorry for Nigel because he has achieved a lot with Norwich and is a decent bloke. I''m not sure anyone deserves humiliation like that especially in front of the tv cameras - he deserves credit for coming out and facing the press afterwards.  Whatever the outcome I just hope we can find that "togetherness" again between board, management, players and fans that made us the envy of so many other clubs.[/quote]

I agree with that post. Todays game did leave me feeling rather ashamed of our so called fans. Although I am aware of the problems at the club I don''t think other football onlookers are, and they seemed disgusted by the reaction today, I can understand that too. It seemed like the behaviour of spoilt kids and I hope the players can try to put it in the back of their minds and pick themsleves up. Now is a time when we really need to rally round and support our team and that means through the bad times and good times and those inbetween.

[/quote]

Today was a disgraceful day in the history of NCFC.  Looking on the bright side, many of the protesters will now get bored without their crusade and hopefully sod off and leave the club to proper supporters.  Here''s hoping.

Don''t you beleieve it Dicky - I was active in WO and many of us want to get the board out too and replace them with someone with ambitious.

I agree Dicky.  Public executions died out over a hundred years ago, except in Norfolk it seems. 

Delia seems to have an unhealthy appetite for public degradation.

Anyone who thinks that was an acceptable way to sack anyone, especially someone who has served us so well, has a defective moral compass.

[quote user="Dicky"]

Today was a disgraceful day in the history of NCFC.  Looking on the bright side, many of the protesters will now get bored without their crusade and hopefully sod off and leave the club to proper supporters.  Here''s hoping.

[/quote] I''m just looking forward to getting back to supporting the club I love without having to take sides or question whether it is good to win or not purely to get Worthy out of the club. Today was a dark day indeed for the club - let''s hope things take a turn for the better from here.

dicky why was today disgraceful? the only disgrace was on the pitch. everybody has a right to voice their opinion and no matter what yours i respect that right for you. however because i wanted worthy out but didnt protest does that make me disgraceful? you cannot tar everybody with the same brush it is called a right to an opinion and all should respect that.

We lost 4-1 for gods sake.  Overall the crowd were not bad, there was no endless chanting, no nasty songs, and no fighting, unless you count Hughes.  It was a quiet game, and the dignified people of Norfolk got rid of an unwanted manager in a dignified manner. 

[quote user="Marty"]

[/quote]

Hear hear.

[quote user="just-cluckin"]

[/quote]

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote] I''m just looking forward to getting back to supporting the club I love without having to take sides or question whether it is good to win or not purely to get Worthy out of the club. Today was a dark day indeed for the club - let''s hope things take a turn for the better from here.[/quote]

Quite right Alex.  And at the end of it all, if anyone got Worthy the sack today it was his team.  And boy, have some of those guys got it coming to them. 

[quote user="mystic megson"]

I agree Dicky.  Public executions died out over a hundred years ago, except in Norfolk it seems. 

Delia seems to have an unhealthy appetite for public degradation.

Anyone who thinks that was an acceptable way to sack anyone, especially someone who has served us so well, has a defective moral compass.

[/quote]

you are quite right,he shouldn''t have been sacked,unfortunately  Worthington does  not have your high moral standards,so HAD to be sacked so he could get his big payout.

[quote user="Yellow fever"]Don''t you beleieve it Dicky - I was active in WO and many of us want to get the board out too and replace them with someone with ambitious.[/quote]

Well, you saying that makes me extremely glad that whilst I wanted Worthy to go, I was never part of this WO stuff.  It seems that you have the taste of blood, but you personally seem to be far too happy with it to let bygones be bygones.  If this is indeed the attitude of the rest of the WO bunch as you say, I do fear for the future of the Club: presumably unless you are getting everything ''your'' way you will just start up a new campaign until you get it, and it is down that slope that the ruination of the Club lies. 

Whatever you may think, it is not ''your'' club, it is everyone''s, and I really do hope that you are in as big a minority as I think you are with your attitude to the rest of the Board/Club.  I''m sure that most supporters are quite happy with Delia et al, for all their faults. They probably feel, like I do, that they are/were ''too'' loyal to Worthy - but to be honest I would always prefer that than someone who boots out a manager at the first opportunity like at most other clubs. 

Today was a disgraceful day in the history of NCFC.  Looking on the bright side, many of the protesters will now get bored without their crusade and hopefully sod off and leave the club to proper supporters.  Here''s hoping.(DICKY)

So you think by sitting on your hands and watching the club collapse that you are a good fan?  Just the opposite infact.........A Crusade is what the Yanks did in Iraq........our protest had merit and no doubt you will be around to enjoy the rewards at a later date.