Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

player power ok?! times are a changing at carra rd?

we''ve all seen examples where players have been frozen out or turfed out after diagreements with worthy in the past, so i for one am amazed that leon''s back in the fold after he looked ancient history at the weekend.  with worthy saying on radio naarrfolk that leon had refused to travel and adams giving leons city career the thumbs down, i was surprised to see leons rebuff appear on monday suggesting worthy had told him not to train on friday - so he decided not to travel on the saturday.for everyone to have kissed and made up by tuesday is unprecedented - how has this occured?do we see the hand of hunter and senior members of the city squad at work here.  after soundings, did worthy discover leon enjoyed the backing of the dressing room and he was adrift of opinion?whatever, i''m glad to see the management working pragmatically to resolve issues like these to maintain team morale.OTBC

The dummies been stuck back in Leons gob !   don`t know who by , but if he spits it out again  he`d better start packing his suitcase ....  

I think it''s probably down to Leon running out of options.  Coventry gave up on him pretty easily and no bid has cleary been recieved by Sunderland.  Him leaving does heavily rely on him having somewhere to go in the first place.

I am glad he played and scored last night though.

IMO worthy threw his toys out of the pram...  Did you here his tone on Staurday!! lol, he was so peeved after Leon didnt travel after worthy told him he wasnt playing....   No sign of Leon''s head not being right either last night, so you can put that Bull**** to bed also.

So McKenzie, at 28 doesnt want to sit on the bench all season, and when we sign a target man (which we have been trying to do all season) get about 5 minutes on the pitch every two weeks.

Fair Play to Leon, To Paraphrase Worthy "there is no sentiment in football , a move is good buisiness for Leon"

You are right LGT. The whole thing is strange from that view.  I wrote on one Sutton thread about Worthy''s stubbornness and how he will not back down once he has changed his decision.  There is also his iron hand side.  He wants to be the boss and anyone who disagrees is out of the team if not out of the Club.  There are many examples of both traits and I am stating them as circumstances nothing more.  Right or wrong, good or bad is not the issue.  That is how he is.

Yet here it seems that he is forgiving, understanding  and prepared to give another chance.   If his hand has been forced then his stubbornness would surely have kicked in?  Listening to wise counsel, getting in touch with his gentler side or perhaps feeling more secure given the improvements and therefore more relaxed?  Who knows.

Perhaps the old Worthy has been recalled to the mother ship along with the old Etuhu and Robinson and they''ve all been replaced with more completely functioning models????!!???

They just need to catch and remodel Hughes and then they can leave orbit.

I think by publically stating

"There was a big misunderstanding with me and my gaffer," he explained. "I did what I stood by and thought that was right, he said something he thought was right and it went a sort of different way. That happens sometimes."

Leon was starting to back down from his original position, he''s blinked first.

And its quite possible for a player to get his ''head right'' in three days.

[quote user="sheded"]

The dummies been stuck back in Leons gob !   don`t know who by , but if he spits it out again  he`d better start packing his suitcase ....  

[/quote]I repect your opinion sheded but IMO thats a very big assumption to make, without much factual backing and I think its very unfair to Leon, who in my opinion has behaved admirably. And I find it a case of double standards with some posters, as I was shot down the other day for blaming worthy but evidently its acceptable to blame leon completely.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Sheded - A big assumption that it was all Leons fault.......[/quote]

Don`t think this issue is about who`s fault it is Boadicea ,  its about who`s boss !!    Leon stuck  a transfer request in because HE wanted  guaranteed  placing in the first team .....   IF  Nigel    [aka the board ]  had   given in to this  mild sort of blackmail  , then you create  all sorts of problems  within the team ! 

There was only going to be one winner   in this situation  , and it aint Leon ,    if he wants  first team  placing   , he`s just got to earn it  , he could make a start by  learning that  the ball should make a bulge in the back of the net .....  

LGT! Why player power, your questions are loaded it seems, what about management power, what about common sense for a change?

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="sheded"]

[/quote]

I repect your opinion sheded but IMO thats a very big assumption to make, without much factual backing and I think its very unfair to Leon, who in my opinion has behaved admirably. And I find it a case of double standards with some posters, as I was shot down the other day for blaming worthy but evidently its acceptable to blame leon completely.
[/quote]

I think Leon has behaved far from admirably but then Worthy isn''t exactly smelling of roses either.  I can''t remember the last time I have seen a City manager and player "talk" through the press.  It was very messy for a few days and both parties could have done more to avoid it.

Nice balanced piece CC.  Better than CJF''s Judge and jury style who fits in well with modern day thinking ie:  Catch the thief red handed, give him/her on the back and hang a heavy fine on the apprehender.  The young can''t stand authority; from the creche they''ve been given their own way too much, youth rules OK!! Bring back working down the mines for the under ten''s.  As you say CC;who knows?

Sheded you''re a hero,  you''ve got down to the nitty- gritty in a short paragraph. The Captain of the ship must have crew who obey orders after all he is held responsible for the ship getting to it''s destination how ever rough the sea.  It''s a pity that football discipline is not similar to military where you obey orders and do what you''re told. How awful!!

[quote user="A load of squit"]

And its quite possible for a player to get his ''head right'' in three days.

[/quote]

Especially when there was no problem in the first place. 

Anyway, If he doesnt get much playing time come January I can see this situation rearing its ugly head yet again.  Unless we are near top of the league of course!! (we can but dream!!) [:D]

everybody seems to be condemning mckenzie for wanting to leave but would this be the case if earnshaw asked to move as well? how many people condemned ashton whist still here. leon will still fight tooth and nail when on the pitch which is a damn sight more than lazy cashton did when he wanted out!

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="sheded"]

[/quote]I repect your opinion sheded but IMO thats a very big assumption to make, without much factual backing and I think its very unfair to Leon, who in my opinion has behaved admirably. And I find it a case of double standards with some posters, as I was shot down the other day for blaming worthy but evidently its acceptable to blame leon completely.[/quote]

I think Leon has behaved far from admirably but then Worthy isn''t exactly smelling of roses either.  I can''t remember the last time I have seen a City manager and player "talk" through the press.  It was very messy for a few days and both parties could have done more to avoid it.

[/quote]Yes I agree with you completely, it was a complete mess and at the end of the day neither person was exempt from blame or wholely to blame and I''m glad the situation seems to have been resolved. But I do disagree with people blaming Mckensie because he put in for the transfer request. I think he has every right to leave if he wishes it, he''s no fool and can tell he won''t be getting much 1st team football epsecially with another striker coming in as well. Who wants to spend their prime footballing year sitting on the bench 90% of the time, I think any footballer would jump at a first team football offer rather than the current situation. I really hope Mckenzie stays but I wish him all the best if he leaves, he will be sorely missed

I feel Saint Canary has the best angle so far.Rightly, or wrongly, I viewed it as a communications cock-up (with hindsight)Leon turns up to train on Friday and is told he''s not training. - Club thinking "we''re negotiating a transfer for this weekend - don''t risk anything"                                                                                           - Leon thinking "I''m not wanted here, I was right to ask for a move"As a result, Leon doesn''t travel, Worthy makes his post-match comments, Leon replies through the press.Both sides realise they''ve got the wrong end of the stick, make conciliatory noises and consider kissing and making up.Leon won''t be happy stuck on the bench (I wouldn''t want a player that was!), but may realise we value him more than anyone else at present. Injuries happen, as do suspensions - his chance may come. I hope he stays, if not I wish him good luck. His attitude is a million miles from Ashton''s, by the way!

[quote user="beelsie"]Sheded you''re a hero,  you''ve got down to the nitty- gritty in a short paragraph. The Captain of the ship must have crew who obey orders after all he is held responsible for the ship getting to it''s destination how ever rough the sea.  It''s a pity that football discipline is not similar to military where you obey orders and do what you''re told. How awful!![/quote]

You obey orders and do as you are told, wow, what a life!!  Get out of bed!!  Do your shoelaces up, 20 press ups!!  NOW!!

So Leon wants to change company!!  its his choice!! Maybe he can get better pay elsewhere!!  Its a free world, well unless you are in the military!! (or that military regime North Korea)

lol the military!!

I bet it weren''t so great in the military when all the officers were stuck up nincompoops!!

When Leon scored last night I watched his and the other player''s reactions carefully, and I noticed his team mates gave him an even more enthusiastic celebration than normal - he is certainly still very popular with his team-mates.

Also noticeable was the enthusiasm with which the team greeted Dicko''s goal - I''d guess he''d taken a bit of a ribbing previously from them for the lack of goals - it was good to see. I like the way Dicko goes round to all his team mates just prior to kick off and gives them a slap, too. Shows he''s a team player.

[quote user="Tuck Box"]

. I like the way Dicko goes round to all his team mates just prior to kick off and gives them a slap [/quote]

what have they done to deserve that?! i bet its that Huckerby whos the main Ring Leader ;)

jas :)

[quote user="beelsie"]Sheded you''re a hero,  you''ve got down to the nitty- gritty in a short paragraph. The Captain of the ship must have crew who obey orders after all he is held responsible for the ship getting to it''s destination how ever rough the sea.  It''s a pity that football discipline is not similar to military where you obey orders and do what you''re told. How awful!![/quote]This is a football club not the military, people don''t die if they screw up so I think it''s a bit ridiculus to be making such comparisons.

UEA ! I too wish Mckenzie all the best for the future, I would make a guess that he has demonstrated his level of achievement at Norwich and I would think that there are merits in holding on to his seat on the benches at Norwich and when chosen, by Worthy, play his heart out in hope, that by merit he will be first choice in the Norwich team, then he will be able to up his market value and so make his mark in the eyes of others who will wan''t to make an offer that Norwich can''t refuse, or by virtue of an improvement as a footballer they, Norwich will want to keep him so badly that they will make him an attractive offer to stay.  Many on these boards have given him praise for his all action play me included. As I see it there are many such players at this same level in the championship and if he can''t demonstrate his skill and value to Norwich then I can only see that he can take a sideways movement in his career in the championship; to a side with with a smaller fan base?  In closing I would say to him, practice on your first touch and your off the ball running and with your constant effort and drive you could become someone that everyone wants, please do it here.

See, CJF You always denigrate the military and as I see it any authority, I for one am glad that the military nincompoops stuck to their discipline some lost their lives and kept this country free for people of your ilk to express your opinion, however poorly founded.  I can see from your last sentence that it is also a class thing with you, how ridiculous, when you think that only 7% of the military are officers and of them 5% made their way up the chain of command from very ordinary backgrounds probably similar to mine and yours. CJF, having systems and rules in any organisation or business are necessary for its success.  You, with your modicum of intelligence will know that if you feed your computer system with disorganised crap, all that you will get out is the same.  You obviously have no knowledge of the military or the variation of skills and free thinking that is encouraged within it''s regime, but it still has a system that one has to work within.  Moreno and all of the top managers in football and industry have systems that the employees have to work within to produce for the shareholders a business that demonstrates success.  Just like the captain of a ship you cannot have a crew that demonstrates no allegiance to its masters.  I am certainly not against Mackenzie''s application for a move, move on and good luck to him.  It''s just the mindless Ho-ha and unfounded speculation that surrounds such a minor event. 

[quote user="beelsie"]UEA ! I too wish Mckenzie all the best for the future, I would make a guess that he has demonstrated his level of achievement at Norwich and I would think that there are merits in holding on to his seat on the benches at Norwich and when chosen, by Worthy, play his heart out in hope, that by merit he will be first choice in the Norwich team, then he will be able to up his market value and so make his mark in the eyes of others who will wan''t to make an offer that Norwich can''t refuse, or by virtue of an improvement as a footballer they, Norwich will want to keep him so badly that they will make him an attractive offer to stay.  Many on these boards have given him praise for his all action play me included. As I see it there are many such players at this same level in the championship and if he can''t demonstrate his skill and value to Norwich then I can only see that he can take a sideways movement in his career in the championship; to a side with with a smaller fan base?  In closing I would say to him, practice on your first touch and your off the ball running and with your constant effort and drive you could become someone that everyone wants, please do it here.[/quote]You make some excellent points beelsie and I find myself agreeing completely with you. Whatever happens will probably good for Norwich, we will either have an improved, hard working Mckensie thats is a credit to the team or if he can''t or doesn''t want to prove himself here then it''s extra cash into our funds and so long as it is spent correctly I can''t see us losing out.

According to today''s paper Leon said jokingly "Nothing has changed, they [Norwich] haven''t offered me a three year contract".

Anyone know when Leon''s contract is due to run out?

If that''s what this is really all about, he needs a good slap and so does his agent.

CJF, how can you judge the military? have you ever served? stick to football not bringing down other things with your assumptions! not all officers in the military are nicompoops, mainly they are good people just following orders! and before anyone asks me why i mention it i am in the military and have been for almost 22 years, happy to serve my country and protect people wherever we are required.

June 2007.

Leon''s situation seems to similar to that of Svensson who was looking for the security of a longer deal than the one-year extension that the club offered him.

Shedded - We have obviously interpreted the statements made by Leon differently, I am sure that he has not said he wants to be guaranteed first team football, it is an open secret that Leon has less than 12 months to run on his contract, my question would be if (as stated) Leon is so important to the club why has that contract not being extended, the answer has to be he is not that important to the club and the statement was made to "talk up" his value. So from what I gather you are saying it is not OK for a player to try this "mild sort of blackmail" to get his contract extended but it is OK for the manager of the club to adopt similar tactics to get his contract extended!!.

Beelsie - I agree that the manager has to be the boss, but as we all know it is the manner in which you carry out that role that is all important. 

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

June 2007.

Leon''s situation seems to similar to that of Svensson who was looking for the security of a longer deal than the one-year extension that the club offered him.

[/quote]

Well , he certainly seems to be punting   for a 3 year extention ?    but I think he blobbed it when he refused  Nigels  " request "   for him to go with the team  to Derby !  didn`t Leon realise  that   the manager   wouldn`t take too kindly  to  a player disobeying   a very reasonable  order ? because , however you cut it , it WAS an order !   Nigel  must have been livid   ....      I know many managers that would   blow a fuse  ,  Fergie  would  have kicked his boots all over  the dressing room  !

The next few days  should be interesting ,  I hope Leon gets what he wants  [ whatever that is ? ]    a move to another club   will get him a long contract  [ but , hey Leon , remember Francis ? ]   

Shedded - I think NW is being more subtle than that, if he wanted to he could make Leon rot in the reserves, he clearly picked Leon so that he remains in the "shop window" and Leon duly obliged by scoring. I do not think you can compare Leon with Francis, Leon continues to work hard in training and when playing for Norwich City. I also wish Leon well for the future.