Sign in to follow this  
Mook

Sutton Signing?

I just don''t get you lot.

All we''ve had, all summer, is how we don''t need another striker, let alone a 30 year old. We need a Right Midfielder. We have never had a proper winger, and we need a right winger, not some has-been striker.

So why, the day after we sign a right midfielder, are most of the posts on this site lobbying to pay a has-been STRIKER his retirement fund????

Honestly, anyone would think most posters on here will do anything to create bad feeling about Worthington ....... oh, hang on. You will.

I was under the impression our main two areas needing strengthening were right midfield and also a target man to play up front alongside Earnie. The squad isn''t good enough to pass the ball around so we need someone big who can hold the ball up

[quote user="Mook"]

All we''ve had, all summer, is how we don''t need another striker, let alone a 30 year old. We need a Right Midfielder. We have never had a proper winger, and we need a right winger, not some has-been striker.

So why, the day after we sign a right midfielder, are most of the posts on this site lobbying to pay a has-been STRIKER his retirement fund????

Honestly, anyone would think most posters on here will do anything to create bad feeling about Worthington ....... oh, hang on. You will.

[/quote]

Nice post Mook and spot on with your comments.  Sutton was one of my favourite players for Norwich, I have met him on a couple of occassions and think he''s a top bloke.  BUT, I will trust the club with the decisions because they will base them on facts and not on whatever conjecture people choose to back up their opinions.

[quote user="Dicky"]

Nice post Mook and spot on with your comments.  Sutton was one of my favourite players for Norwich, I have met him on a couple of occassions and think he''s a top bloke.  BUT, I will trust the club with the decisions because they will base them on facts and not on whatever conjecture people choose to back up their opinions.

[/quote]

The same club that signed De Waard and Derveld after Rioch rejected them as pap...

The same club that paid over half a million for Hooze??

The same club that signed Jurgen Colin having never seen him play??

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

So its OK for Worthy to bid 800K for the 30 year old Luton Striker YET its bad to even think about Sutton for FREE when he can also add defensive cover.

There is a huge difference as we were told by the CR spin machine that we didnt have much of a transfer budget.

Most people were upset that we might blow it all on a striker and not get the right sided player we badly needed.

After buying Croft it is assumed that we dont have too much money left (again IF you beleive the CR spin machine)

So if its a choice between nobody and Sutton, why not take a flyer on the guy?

All we are hearing is about his possible wages (which havnt even been discussed yet)

I love how people are assuming he wants big money when all his interviews seem to imply he just wants to play for Norwich.

(how about that, a guy with local ties who WANTS to play for us.)

I didnt hear many fans calling Iwan Roberts a has-been at 33

BTW I don`t need to create bad feelings about Worthy, he does enough of his own with his words and actions.

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

So you''re happy with ''sick note'' Thorne as our main striker then Mook?, because unfortunatly for us, Worthy and you seems to be.

I can almost guarentee Chris would score more than 1 goal in a season!.

Are you sure about that Wiz - Sutton scored 1 goal last Season for Birmingham (admittedly played only 11 games due to injuries - what was that about Sick Notes?) And in 28 games for Chelsea he also scored 1 goal. I would like to see a front line of Earnie and McKenzie with Hucks and Croft on the flanks - that would give us pace and I think would work well in the Championship.

Can I just ask, has anyone got an actual article in which Sutton says "I really want to play for Norwich City one last time..."?

Just wondering, because there seems to be a lot of "he wants to play for us" talk, yet I''ve seen nothing to back this up.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

I can almost guarentee Chris would score more than 1 goal in a season!.

[/quote]

He didn''t last season.

i must admit that signing chris sutton could be a wish from the heart and not the head but i still think that the board should do it! reason is the psycological effect that he would have on the team also he is 7 years younger than teddy sherringham and he''s still doing pretty well at west ham

There seems to be a lot of naivety from posters at this time of year about ''spin machines'' and the like.Anyone who has ever done any kind of business in the real world (or in fact has ever played a hand of poker) knows that you don''t make public the level of your resources or the status of your negotiation until it is complete. And in the football business, fans = public.The club is deliberately (and necessarily) being economical with the truth at the moment, so don''t take it personally.On the Sutton point, I actually think he might be worth a punt if his wage demands (which I''m sure have been discussed, contrary to public announcements) are reasonable. Still wouldn''t be surprised to see a rolling monthly contract agreed on Friday if Brum don''t take him back and we can''t pull in anyone else.

|Nice one YC!! balanced and logical given the events to date and the hype, if you swallow it.  I believe that we are in a possible win situation if we pursue this season an all out drive for promotion.  If I were NIGE and I really did have some sway I would fill the middle section with some hard lower division players with bags of experience and something to prove and put SUTTON in the centre of mid field.  This should upset some of the doubters among us.

i think sutton will join just before transfer deadline on pay-as-you play contract if worthy cannot get anyone else. i think what worthy has publically said is a smokescreen, but even if it was the truth, he must have already contacted sutton and sutton has obviously asked for too much.

how is peter thorne any better than sutton? hes injury prone, doesnt score, and cant fill in at centre back if needed. for me its no contest and im sure worthington must have been interested but sutton probably put him off

Sons Of B -- assume you''re referring to the comments by Skipper (I think) who was clearly responding to the growing hysteria from a section of the fanbase along the lines of "we can''t afford to sign anyone! we''re £20m in debt! delia is ruining the club! bring back robert chase!". I don''t think he was specific about the level of investment in new players the board was prepared to make though, he was just saying be patient, there is some kitty available (which is a statement of the obvious).Note I said *economical* with the truth, clearly the board want to hint at the truth where possible to keep fans onside, but never to the extent that it weakens their hand in negotiations with other clubs, players and agents. Note the Darren Huckerby saga, when we were told we couldn''t afford him right up to the moment he signed.

I''m not doubting Sutton is a quality player, far FAR better than Thorne. In fact, I made myself look a proper pillock by telling everyone that he would "definitely" keep Birmingham up with his hold up play, vision and goals. Oooops.

But has everyone forgotten about "fans favourite" Leon McKenzie?? Ok, I don''t rate him as a prem player, but Earnie and Leon up front with Thorne, Jarvis, Hucks and McVeigh as able backup is not a bad front line.

I would be happy if Chris came back but 1, he WILL command high wages and 2, we still need strength to be added to the squad in other areas - right and left back, for example.

[quote user="ncfc0405"]Sons Of B -- assume you''re referring to the comments by Skipper (I think) who was clearly responding to the growing hysteria from a section of the fanbase along the lines of "we can''t afford to sign anyone! we''re £20m in debt! delia is ruining the club! bring back robert chase!". I don''t think he was specific about the level of investment in new players the board was prepared to make though, he was just saying be patient, there is some kitty available (which is a statement of the obvious).

Note I said *economical* with the truth, clearly the board want to hint at the truth where possible to keep fans onside, but never to the extent that it weakens their hand in negotiations with other clubs, players and agents. Note the Darren Huckerby saga, when we were told we couldn''t afford him right up to the moment he signed.
[/quote]

Thats fine but they should not say anything

Don`t spin the fans with transfer BS.

One minute they were going on about how they "don`t talk about transfers until they are done" now that seems to have gone out the window.

What is the problem with people? Why do you say he can be defencive cover also? I mean when was the last time he actually started as a centre back? I wouldnt be surprised if it was in a Norwich shirt and that was how long ago?

If he is signed it should be on the back of his ability to link play between the midfield and second striker which he did so well at Celtic and Blackburn. Thats where he plays well, in a way maybe we should have bid for him when we went up as a replacement for Iwan.

Who knows what could happen all I know is that I am not convinced that a target man is realy out priority - I smell a kipper.

Sutton Isn''t going to get high wages playing for nobody, Doubt there''s many queues at the guys door considering how bad he was last season. Plus; this whole right sided mid-fielder thing isn''t exactly "sorted". From what I''ve heard and read (and seen!) Croft Isn''t exactly fit, he''s not impacted games as a starting player, and barely lasts matches. He''s got more impact as a sub apparently, which is great, but we still have to play someone there.As for a target man, Thorne is our top scorer, and had a great season with Earnie a few seasons back. If you lot say Sutton is good despite his bad season last season then you have to give thorne a chance. I know Thorne Isn''t in the same league as Sutton, but they''re a similar kind of player, and the money could be better spent.