4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I thought we rode our luck - PNE really ought to have scored from the chances they had.....but we had chances too, but with a lot of poor finishing, many of our shots well off target.  Still managed more on target than Preston though and deserved the win in the end - but it could easily have gone the other way.  Rowe's introduction made all the difference, he is so lively on the ball.

I was in Leeds today, the natives ain’t happy with Farke. 

• Like 3

Unless you're prepared to go to Wembley regardless of the opposition then there isn't much point in getting to the playoffs. This is our best chance of promotion but we have to make it stick.

Farke will be gone if Leeds don't get promoted, our best best players will be gone if we don't. 

The harsh reality of Championship football.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Unless you're prepared to go to Wembley regardless of the opposition then there isn't much point in getting to the playoffs. This is our best chance of promotion but we have to make it stick.

Farke will be gone if Leeds don't get promoted, our best best players will be gone if we don't. 

The harsh reality of Championship football.

Spot on I’m afraid, although I do just wonder if our saving grace if we don’t get promoted, is the thing that held us back this year, our injuries.

Rowe not been good with injuries ( although I still think he has already sorted his move ) Sargent, will he need an operation ?

Although talking to the Leeds supporters today, I think they feel he is only hired to get them promoted, then they will get a premier league manager. I see Leicester also have their manager not happy with the stick he was getting before this bad run. I guess as well McKenna must be on a few wanted lists, unlike most of the binner players.

Lakey will be crying his eyes out if we beat his Leeds in the playoffs lol

14 hours ago, Well b back said:

I was in Leeds today, the natives ain’t happy with Farke. 

Well since we might see Leeds possibly twice more this season, any discontent there can only be good for us. 

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well since we might see Leeds possibly twice more this season, any discontent there can only be good for us. 

Reckon he will be sacked even if they get promoted, anyway you’ve changed your tone, Wagner is s*** and Farke is god. 

Posted (edited)

Agreed. Thoroughly professional, in the unpleasant time-wasty, strangling, suck-the-life out-of-the-occasion mid-table Premier League way of doing things. 

I thought we were in total control and I wasn’t remotely concerned at any point. 

It was clearly identified that they are not a naturally attacking side, so we held the ball neutrally and encouraged them on to us. Which they weren’t really comfortable doing. Then we counter-attacked sharply, without ever over-committing.

They had to win, we didn’t. 

We backed our superior quality to maybe create and score something. Late perfect. 

Also agreed Rowe noticeably changed the feel and momentum in both directions. The feel in his teammates and the feel in the oppositions. A compliment to him. 

Agreed. Full credit to Wagner. Many a coach’s absolute dream performance. 

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Talk about faint praise!

Great win, tactics spot on. Rowe back and Sargent played nearly 90 mins and you have to come out will this negativity.

What is it? You need to be proven right that when Sargent went off against Wednesday Wagner lied to cover up his bad call rather than Sargent feeling his ankle? Sad.

Bit weird though that at the press conference Sargent was unlikely to play at all, then ends up almost doing his first 90 minutes for months. Mind games, justification for a bad call or sheer incompetence? I guess we'll never know.

We got the win but not sure how you can say tactics were spot on when we could easily have been three down at half-time. The subs worked out for us, but that's not been a frequent occurrence this season.

Just now, sgncfc said:

Bit weird though that at the press conference Sargent was unlikely to play at all, then ends up almost doing his first 90 minutes for months. Mind games, justification for a bad call or sheer incompetence? I guess we'll never know.

We got the win but not sure how you can say tactics were spot on when we could easily have been three down at half-time. The subs worked out for us, but that's not been a frequent occurrence this season.

Easily been 3 down is a massive stretch. First half they had 4 shots 0 on target we had 7 shots 4 on target and their expected goals from the first half was 0.2

Well played from Wagner yet again. Past half season worth of results he has us joint top with a fit squad. That is an absolutely exceptional turnaround.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

Interesting you thought we could have been three down at half time. I certainly didn’t see it like that. Like Parma’s post above I didn’t feel feel concerned at all. 

Maybe Sargent stayed on for more minutes because we now don’t have a game for 7 days and can manage his recovery? Also why give your opponent information about your lineup when you don’t have to? 

• Like 2

Interestingly, the Preston forum I was looking at was VERY critical of their manager for throwing too many attackers on, taking their most creative player off, and one of their attackers ended up at right wing-back. Apart from set-pieces and that one moment right at the end where Gunn missed a high ball, I don't think they posed us too many issues.

They were a well-organised, very workmanlike and committed outfit that deserved to be in play-off contention, but as Parma said in essence, it was clear that they weren't a side that were especially comfortable on the front foot and were mainly dangerous through moments of excellence from their creative outlet, rapid bursts down their flanks, and set-pieces with their strength and physicality.

And, high balls and set-pieces aside, we kept them away very well using possession as a defence.

16 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

As the saying goes, they could have played all night and they still wouldn’t have scored.

23 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Agreed. Thoroughly professional, in the unpleasant time-wasty, strangling, suck-the-life out-of-the-occasion mid-table Premier League way of doing things. 

I thought we were in total control and I wasn’t remotely concerned at any point. 

It was clearly identified that they are not a naturally attacking side, so we held the ball neutrally and encouraged them on to us. Which they weren’t really comfortable doing. Then we counter-attacked sharply, without ever over-committing.

They had to win, we didn’t. 

We backed our superior quality to maybe create and score something. Late perfect. 

Also agreed Rowe noticeably changed the feel and momentum in both directions. The feel in his teammates and the feel in the oppositions. A compliment to him. 

Agreed. Full credit to Wagner. Many a coach’s absolute dream performance. 

Parma 

Great post Parma, and how I pretty much saw it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Reckon he will be sacked even if they get promoted, anyway you’ve changed your tone, Wagner is s*** and Farke is god. 

Wagner is not Farke, that's for sure, but he does have something.  Let's hope it's enough to see off all comers, over the next few weeks, including Farke's Leeds if we meet them. 

44 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Wagner is not Farke, that's for sure, but he does have something.  Let's hope it's enough to see off all comers, over the next few weeks, including Farke's Leeds if we meet them. 

We have to hope they continue to underperform under Farke as in terms of squad quality and depth they are some distance better in that regard. 3rd would be a pretty big failure from Leeds point of view but should they still get promoted then that'll soon be forgotten.

Rumours around Leeds is even with promotion they sack Farke which I imagine would see him return to Germany again.

@Parma Ham's gone mouldy - further to your post what are your thoughts on the recent away games?

Do you think scoring 2 goals in the first half of away games has actually caused us problems? I do.

I mean if you score 2 goals away from home you expect to either win or worst case draw the game. But we've been getting them in the first half and of course, the home team are going to come out all guns blazing at that point.

Of course there's tactical questions but there's almost a look of the squad of "so now what" which i don't mean as harshly towards Wagner as it sounds. But it's almost a "what is our intention" - Wed's we had opportunities to win it comfortably still.

There's been an accusation as soon as we score we sit back away from home, I don't think that's the case. We arent quite the suffocating possession team Farke was where possession for possessions sake was welcome - by the management players AND fans (once it was proven).

It's arguably not the big problem it was before. We should have done better vs Wed's but equally I think had Gibbs not got injured, we win.

For me the biggest thing is energy. We arent trying to sit back but equally we exert a lot of running and effort getting a lead but we simply do not have the bodies on the bench to keep the pace going.

People will point to youngsters but can you trust them to maintain structure and discipline at pivotal points? And the problem is our young players on the bench arent huge physical athletes - Lewis could run for days and Godfrey was quick, tall and strong so would always be an option.

My personal view is had we kept Idah, (or a similar alternate) perhaps Hwang too - we beat Wed's, we beat QPR and we might even beat Blackburn. Suddenly our away form this year becomes top 6 worthy.

• Like 1

Second half was an excellent performance.  The bar strike just before half time highlighted our chaos at the back and their aerial superiority;  even if only from set pieces.

Second half nunez & kenny took control, with kenny esp improving significantly from bang average first half. The passing became crisper but most importantly we didn't allow osmajic or Holmes the chance to dive again, win as many free kicks, reducing their key threat and removing them from the game.   This was def a tactical change at half time and worked well.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the game, not so much the 1st half but thought we were more or less in control of the second half. 1st half was quite tense, unpredictable and edgy. As with City I always feel we sometimes need a 2 or maybe 3 goal cushion, as we sometimes struggle to control, manage and see out a game (the Sheff Wednesday debacle for example)....I'd have been more than ecstatic against Preston with a draw - but to win 1-0 and not concede?

Hey, well I'm not complaining.....

Roll on Brizzle City....15.00 hours kick-off my favourite time for footy....It'll be a cracker...

Like many of our support I'll be up for it.. and so will the team....

Pub after....oh yeah.....