Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

In the Cold Light of Day.

It's actually a warm, light day now and I'm still fed up. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I don’t think that’s a view I noticed being shared by fellow supporters as we trudged out into a night of freezing gale force winds.

Wagner certainly knows how to turn it around………hero to villain in three days.

Of course not - can fully understand that it wouldn't feel that way if you were there on a freezing cold night watching it in front of your eyes. I sometimes wonder if I'm fully recovered yet from watching us lose 3-2 at Crewe when we were 2-0 up in the 84th minute sometime back in the Bruce Rioch era..........😬

I'd have taken a point pre-game so out-of-context I'd agree that a point away from home vs a team fighting for safety at the tail-end of the season isn't to be sniffed at.

The problem is taking the game itself into context it was a real genuine opportunity for 3 points

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd have taken a point pre-game so out-of-context I'd agree that a point away from home vs a team fighting for safety at the tail-end of the season isn't to be sniffed at.

The problem is taking the game itself into context it was a real genuine opportunity for 3 points

I was greedier. I felt that if we want to cement our top six place we needed to win here unlike the Ipswich game against much tougher opposition where I’d have been happy with a point.

I could hear a few boos around me when Sargent was taken off but if the club have to manage his fitness with kid gloves it was a reasonable step to take when cruising at 2-0. What was really galling was our subsequent collapse.

It was a stroke of luck that Coventry lost but Preston beating Huddersfield means we now go there more in need of a win.

All so careless.

It's very galling to lose a 2-0 lead. However, if we'd have got a point vs scum and beaten Wednesday no one would moan. 

So going on that. I'll take those 4 points and look onward to the next game. 

5 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Last night highlighted once again just how thin the squad is, Rowe can't come back quick enough as he will be the only additional attacking option available before the end of the season.

Come on. You know as well as I do, even if Rowe was on the bench Wagner would still prefer to throw on a couple of defenders to protect what we have! 😉 

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree with the OP. If you'd offered a point before the game I wouldn't have grumbled as Sheffield Wednesday have improved a lot since Röhr came in as manager, but the way the game panned out, it is one of those draws that felt a bit like a defeat though.

Could have been out of sight before Sargent came off, and that was really bad luck that the substitution designed to keep pressing them into trouble went off (after all, Barnes isn't really fast enough or got the gas tank that Gibbs has) injured after two minutes.

The criticism that I agree is justified was that Duffy wasn't brought on earlier to stiffen the defence against set pieces.

The criticism is that, fine take Sarge off when 2-0, but at least replace him with somebody that would be a threat to Wednesday, and IMO that was Aboh - they know as much about him as we do, so they would have had to set up to defend him whatever, which would have taken some of the sting out of their all out blitz. Instead we went passive again and let them come on to us. When it went 2-1 personally I would have subbed Gibson for Duffy, put Kenny in at LCB with Duffy at CB and Baath at RCB to try and stop their momentum and via Kenny take back some form of control of the ball (he's better at doing this as a LCB but not as a midfield pivot when we're under the cosh).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

I'm not saying anything 😄

So why are you yet again hanging around here like a bad smell Scummer ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

The criticism is that, fine take Sarge off when 2-0, but at least replace him with somebody that would be a threat to Wednesday, and IMO that was Aboh - they know as much about him as we do, so they would have had to set up to defend him whatever, which would have taken some of the sting out of their all out blitz. Instead we went passive again and let them come on to us. When it went 2-1 personally I would have subbed Gibson for Duffy, put Kenny in at LCB with Duffy at CB and Baath at RCB to try and stop their momentum and via Kenny take back some form of control of the ball (he's better at doing this as a LCB but not as a midfield pivot when we're under the cosh).

Agree with most of that, but would say Wednesday were able to pick balls out of defence better with Barnes up top as he's not as fast or as good at pressing as Sargent is. Gibbs is possibly the nearest one we've got in terms of being able to press very hard from the front and generally put pressure on folks, but at that point there's more than one potential way of skinning the cat.

I think I could see what Wagner had in mind, but it was unlucky that Gibbs pinged a quad less than five minutes later so we'll never know how effective it would have been.

On 09/04/2024 at 22:07, king canary said:

Just to add, 'histrionic over reactions' to things like chucking away a two goal lead to a team in the relegation zone are a natural part of being a fan.

I've got no time for this 'oh look at me, I'm so above it all' rubbish.

This is true.

But it works the other way too?

So we get the same over reactions the other way when we win?

In the cold light of day it’s still two points dropped due to the position we were in. Thankfully it hasn’t caused too much damage with the others around us dropping points but it does put more pressure on the last few games now. I think either 3 wins, or win the home games and draw the away should hopefully be enough for 6th. I don’t think we’ll catch West Brom now 

I think this one was particularly galling as we were exceptionally dominant for the majority of the match and really should have been absolutely out of sight.

I do understand the massive over analysis of the substitutes given the result, and it has to be said the same thing has happened several times this season, but really the team was so absolutely profligate going forwards I suspect that gave Wednesday a boost in itself. IMO Duffy should have been on immediately after we conceded that first goal.

Definitely two points dropped rather than one gained, regardless of the result we would have accepted "on paper".

Tuesday's result makes Preston a 'must not lose', on paper Swansea and Bristol City at home should be 6 points but the latter have just taken 10 from 12 without conceding so that's not going to be easy. That just leaves Brum away and I wouldn't want to go there knowing only a win will guarantee a play-off place.